New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Could Sabine return as an Erinyes?

IIRC, fiends can become stronger fiends over time (through promotion for devils, experience for demons, ??? for daemons), so what if the anger from seeing Nale die and her recent successes cause her to become an Erinyes, a fiend that's mostly focused on getting revenge?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Could Sabine return as an Erinyes?

Quote Originally Posted by CawCawMarmalade View Post
    IIRC, fiends can become stronger fiends over time (through promotion for devils, experience for demons, ??? for daemons), so what if the anger from seeing Nale die and her recent successes cause her to become an Erinyes, a fiend that's mostly focused on getting revenge?
    The most obvious problem with this is that Sabine is currently a Succubus, a Chaotic Evil Fiend- a Demon. An Erinyes, meanwhile, is a Lawful Evil Fiend- a Devil.

Changing from one to the other would be very, very strange.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonWalker View Post
    The most obvious problem with this is that Sabine is currently a Succubus, a Chaotic Evil Fiend- a Demon. An Erinyes, meanwhile, is a Lawful Evil Fiend- a Devil.

Changing from one to the other would be very, very strange.
    That's a good point!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

That said, there is a more advanced version of the succubus presented in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss: the Lilitu. They lose the energy draining touch, but they do get 9th level cleric casting and some other goodies.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I vote Balor!

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    That said, there is a more advanced version of the succubus presented in Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss: the Lilitu. They lose the energy draining touch, but they do get 9th level cleric casting and some other goodies.

9th level Cleric spells, eh?

So I'm hearing "Redcloak dies, Sabine converts to the church of the Dark One and seals the gates with purple quiddity"?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    9th level Cleric spells, eh?
    No. Ninth-level cleric casting; so 5th level Cleric spells.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don't think switching fiend types would be beyond the scope of the IFCC, an organization that is after all dedicated to eliminating the (mostly arbitrary) boundaries between the fiend types anyway that keep them from achieving their mutual goals of advancing evil.

The better question is why she would need to do this; Succubi can take revenge just fine even if they're not dedicated to it as a concept.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The better question is why she would need to do this; Succubi can take revenge just fine even if they're not dedicated to it as a concept.
    She'll also probably have Nale with her to help.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1183.html

She used her vacation to find an appropriate vessel. Bet he's going to come back with a new face, possibly a fiendish one.
    Thought I'd try drawing in Rich's style with a lizardfolk. He looks... concerned. Maybe 'cause he lost the top of his spear!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I highly doubt that we'll see Nale again, except maybe inconsequentialy in some afterlife. It's so rare that people get completely turned to dust, so I think Rich uses it to hammer home the point that he is NEVER coming back.

I wouldn't mind Sabine getting an upgade, though. That'd be neat to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliezer Yudkowsky
    Why do you believe what you believe? What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?
    Alanna the Lioness avatar by Iron Penguin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I can half imagine her coming back as a baalor, but I doubt it...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pwning doodes View Post
    I highly doubt that we'll see Nale again, except maybe inconsequentialy in some afterlife. It's so rare that people get completely turned to dust, so I think Rich uses it to hammer home the point that he is NEVER coming back.
    You mean like Durkon was?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    To be fair, Durkon never came back from the dead either. It just looks like he did because the Order is still trapped in Girard's illusion and we're watching events unfold from their perspective.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Sabine's energy draining touch (at least in early strips) is far different than the standard energy-draining touch of the Succubus. I've hypothesized that she took a 1-level dip in Soul Drinker as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by CawCawMarmalade View Post
    She's been a demon for thousands of years (possibly more if she was one of the outsiders that had gotten her memory wiped). I doubt she'd be up for changing her entire lifestyle, outlook, alignment and physical embodiment for a mortal she's only known a few years to kill one dude who'll be dead in a few decades anyways, when she can just be her old demon self with a massive murderboner for General Tarquin and his posse. It's not like vengeance and indiscriminate killing of people for personal slights is a uniquely lawful evil trait. If anything Chaotic Evil types are more likely to engage in it, they just don't go for the pomp and circumstance that lawful evil types.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

From demon to devil? Sure.

There are evil gods that warp reality. Oddly enough even in standard DnD there are a few succubus hanging around Hell; holy wars be damned. It would likely take a literal god but it could be done.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Durkon's ashes weren't scattered in the desert winds.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dude View Post
    She used her vacation to find an appropriate vessel. Bet he's going to come back with a new face, possibly a fiendish one.
    I am going to vote against this possibility. He was killed with disentegrate, and his dust blown all over the desert. It would take a True Resurrection to get him back up and going, and Rich seems reluctant to apply that spell to his stories per his post some years ago about what a plot and tension wrecking device the TR spell is.

On the other hand, if his soul can be bound to an artifact, then his body isn't needed. Is that where you were headed with this?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I am going to vote against this possibility. He was killed with disentegrate, and his dust blown all over the desert. It would take a True Resurrection to get him back up and going, and Rich seems reluctant to apply that spell to his stories per his post some years ago about what a plot and tension wrecking device the TR spell is.

On the other hand, if his soul can be bound to an artifact, then his body isn't needed. Is that where you were headed with this?
    Well, I was thinking soul bound to a demon or some kind of construct, but binding to a wand or ashtray would work too.

Nale, the talking goatee'd ashtray.
    Thought I'd try drawing in Rich's style with a lizardfolk. He looks... concerned. Maybe 'cause he lost the top of his spear!