New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default How would you create a Xiangqi/Chess crossover?

I play a lot of Xiangqi, and I’m decent at it, but one of my really good friends can only play Chess. So if there was a crossover ruleset, how do you think it would be played?
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: How would you create a Xiangqi/Chess crossover?

For anyone unfamiliar with Xiangqi: the chessvariants page.

Honestly, I'd just teach your friend Xiangqi if you wanted to play it with them. You'll have to teach them a game regardless, so why teach them two different games?

---

If I did want to blend them, I'd look at the similarities. Maybe you could start off by playing Chess, but swap out the Knights for Horses? Stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed, it's probably easier for one of you to learn the other's game--or better yet, for each of you to learn the other's.

For blending the two, one basic difference is that the terrain on a chessboard is all neutral, with no effect on any of the pieces, whereas the xiangqi board seems to have landscape features that affect the pieces' movement. You would need to decide whether you want the terrain to have an effect on the pieces or not, and if so, how and how much.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Neither game is really that hard to learn the basic rules for, for all that both have an incredible amount of strategic depth. It's probably easier to just teach Xiangqi, and play both it and Chess.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Since there’s no conversion of Chess to Eastern movement styles, I think I would start by using the Cambaluc version of Xiangqi. But technically, after that you can just play them against each other.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

I absolutely agree with Amechra.

It is much easier to understand and play if you share the similarities and just look at the differences.

For example the limited function of ministers and elephants, which have a certain similarity to the modern runner.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh cool. Chinese chess. I would love to learn that game.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi! me again... I recently found a good alternative for chess with real people.. a chess computer!
    I have the same problem of finding people to play with.. whether it be chess or xiangqi...
    it really helps when you can play alone to improve your skills
    Here is a good german article about chess computer, which you can easily translate into english if you like... Have a look if you like :)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    For blending the two, one basic difference is that the terrain on a chessboard is all neutral, with no effect on any of the pieces, whereas the xiangqi board seems to have landscape features that affect the pieces' movement. You would need to decide whether you want the terrain to have an effect on the pieces or not, and if so, how and how much.
    Now I kind of want to play chess with terrain. Could be a single ditch between the middle rows that limits movement so that when a rook, bishop or queen moves across it they have to either start or stop on an adjacent square, or two 4x4 ponds that block all movement except for a pawn moving across it on one leap (if the opposite shore is free, no capturing). Or you could make the two home rows high defended ground preventing attacking pieces from moving to the back row in one go, or...

Maybe combine it with the idea of chess with variable armies, like maybe you get the standard 39 points to shop for an army, with certain upper limits on the numbers of pieces, like maybe a maximum of twice the regular number for each type of piece and a maximum of 24 pieces in total so that you never have to set up outside of the last three lines, that would give a substantial amount if diversity to the game. (You know which battlefield you're playing, but a screen is placed in the middle during setup so that you don't know what the opponent has and where they put it, and you toss for you moves first after setup.)

It's not the most useful advice for this particular thread, but it would be a cool experiment.

Edit: on second thought, I would probably have players know whether they'll get to move first or second. The person moving second gets to choose thw terrain. Until a terrain is found that substantially benefits the person going second and everyone chooses that one that is.

Edit again: I'm actually getting quite a few ideas for this now. I might make something of this idea within the next few days...
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-10-12 at 04:22 PM.