New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default A god collection

There are 3 tiers of god: Risen, Chosen, and Pantheonal, and one side category called Talos
    Risen Gods: "They rule over all on their lofty thrones, they say HE chose them out of the Divine chaff. These are unique, these are mighty. The Risen rule all; the Chosen are indeed great but these, these are true power." - Toll Von Kien
    You may recognize a few names here that I hope aren't copyrighted:
    Asmodeus: LE God of tyranny
    "He rules the nine hells from his throne of bones, be wary, deceit is his only way, and his lies are sweet. Face him down anger him, though, and his wrath, let me tell you, it will not go well for you." - Fierna
    Bahamut: NG God of Metallic dragons
    "He's kind, He's gentle, He's a hard worker, He's handsome, He's whimsical, He has a great sense of humor, He's strong, He's fast, He's wise, He's smart, He's charming. What's not to love?" - Fizban the fabulous
    Correllon: CG God of Artistry
    "I am the rush of a brook, the soft wind on your cheek, the kiss of your lover, the pink sky, the silver tree; the great seducer they call me. No, I simply like a little fun." - Correllon
    Raven Queen: CN God of Darkness
    "You do not know her. Trust me, you're better off this way." -Lucifer the Shad'ar Ki
    Selune: CG God of moonlight
    " Soft and sweet she is; but what lies under the surface, no one can find. She is a mystery, and think I like her that way." - Correlon
    Tiamat: LE God of Greed
    "I DESERVE TO RULE ASMODEUS, I am a god, what gives you the right as rule of this thrice damned world to decide MY PLACE. I have power, and you will find yourself on the wrong end of it some day!"
    Jergal: LN God of Death
    "He knows all that the dead know, he writes it in his book of secrets. Steal that, and you have everything you could ever want to know." - Nebirith of The Library of Redeemed of Carceri
    Lathandar: NG God of Honesty and the Dawn
    "He watches over us all." -High Priest Handler Snape
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-08-16 at 08:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A new take on gods

What part of this is new?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: A new take on gods

The three-tiered thing with gods from the different pantheons being given greater powers by an elder god.
    What do you think of this list and how do you want to add to the collection for my world?
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-08-10 at 05:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: A god collection

A pantheonal god:
    Nyrand (neer-on) The Archer, The Hunter, The Messenger, The Arbitrator
    War, Wilderness Survival, Travel, and Diplomacy are his domains.

In war there is no better scout or skirmisher. The Archer strikes from a distance and fades, trackless, into the landscape. He is said to have drunk from the cup of the God of War as it sat in council planning strategy for a war, and even commanded the obedience of War's pack of mongrels.

The Hunter has tracked the Shadow Dragon to it's lair and slain the Dearrean Behemoth whose hide was blessed to be impervious to dart or blade. (He shot with an arrow in each eye.)

Nothing can stay the swift passage of The Messenger, against whom no gate or door is barred. He can outrun the lightning, out-climb spiders, swim faster than any fish.

The Arbitrator has judged many disputes, and holds those who participate to obey the terms of the arbitration. It is said that one should try to find terms they can live with before seeking the judgement of Nyrand because he will bind those who come before him to fair terms that both sides will dislike. One memorable example was when a civil war in a nation divided by a river was ended when he required every unmarried male older than five to migrate to the opposite side of the river for life, and forbid any unmarried female from doing so. (Married folk and children too young for the judgement but who were alive at the time could cross, but could not live there. Those born afterward were not subject to the judgement.) All who refused to obey the judgement were struck unconscious and remained so until death or until carried to the correct side of the river.

He is cursed to never sleep beneath any roof save the vault of the heavens. One tale has him enter a cavern deep and as he tired, he found that he was not capable of rest, but as he endured without rest he found himself fading. He was forced to leave the cave to get some sleep before he disappeared.

His temples are shrines of wood posts or stone pillars arranged in circles, found in the wilderness. They are known as places of truce, where enemies can meet to talk, arrange for peace, or conduct business. Those who violate the sanctuary are cast out of their clan lest in his wrath Nyrand attacks them all.

Nyrand was a mortal, adopted into the pantheon because of his cleverness, audacity, and epic deeds. His followers include those who thrive where others fear to tread and those who must make their way in the world by wit and effort. Third heirs, orphans, and those who flee oppression and persecution are often drawn into his clergy, and lay worshippers tend to be those who live in the wilder places on the margins of kingdoms. Rarely, an urban shrine may be found. These are generally located where the produce of the wild is sold, or where there is great need for neutral arbitration of disputes.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2022-08-10 at 08:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you brian333, also for your contribution of albatross.
    Albatross The Navigator, The Fisher, The Traveler, The Good Husband Albatross sails just above the waves, soaring from one end of the ocean sea to the other. He is restless, curious, adventurous, and yet he never fails to return to his mate in the season of eggs to raise his children before setting sail once again for the wide open blue. The Navigator uses the sky, but does not command it. He uses the winds and waves, but holds no power over them. The Fisher does not summon fish nor control them, but he knows their ways and their times, so that he and his children never go hungry. The Traveler follows the patterns in the sky and sea to go where he wishes. He can find the land he wants to see, or the empty vastness, over which his roads are as plain to him as a village path. The Good Husband shares his bounty, and teaches his young what they must know to be masters of the line between the sea and the sky. Teachers and astrologers Revere Albatross, as do all who sail. Ages past, the gods created man, but man proved fickle, vain, disrespectful, and haughty. The gods raised the sea so that only the tips of mighty mountains rose above the storms. Men drowned and died. Albatross saw such a man, dying of thirst in the midst of the sea. He clung to a bit of flotsam and begged the gods to save him. Albatross caused the sea to cast the man upon an island. He fed the man, at first, as he would have fed his own chicks, and taught the man to make a canoe and to sail it so that he could catch his own fish. The man thrived. But inside him was a great sadness, for he was alone. One day Albatross saw him weeping, and asked, "Why do you hold such great sadness within? You have good food and a comfortable nest." "I thank you, Albatross, for that which you have given me. I honor you and will never forget my debt to you. But I am a man, and I crave companionship. When you go away I am alone, and I think then on my solitude. It causes me to weep, knowing that I am the last of my kind, and will never know human love or human friendship again." "You are not the last," Albatross said. "On my wanderings I found many men, and guided them each to their islands. If you desire to be with other men, you need only set your sails to new lands. I will guide you, at first. When you know the way, you may choose to continue on, or to stay where you find companions like yourself." And so Dakalla set out on his winged canoe to find other men. In his heart was ever the urge to find all men, so that none would ever again know loneliness. And when he died his children took up his cause. A hundred winged canoes rode the waves, and soon a thousand. But the great benefactor and guide held a place of honor among the humans, who revered Albatross above all other gods, as they do to this day.
    P.S. Sorry about the format
    Last edited by Psyche; 2022-08-11 at 11:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Is this for your PbP campaign of The Planar City Crete? If so, I would like to submit a deity for my character to worship. It is lifted from a D&D magazine during 4th edition.

Spoiler: Dragon#414 p19, Prime Architect
    Show
    Many cultures of the mortal world have myths recounting the origins of the universe. Though the details of these legends are colored by cultural bias, most share key events, such as the war between gods and primordials. Yet few can recount the story of an even earlier time in the history of the multiverse, the epoch that witnessed the molding of the Elemental Chaos itself.

Accounts chronicled by the Fraternity of Order in Sigil speak of a time in which the Elemental Chaos was still in its infancy, an Age of Creation when primordials shaped and destroyed worlds at whim, unchallenged by the gods. It was an era of wondrous invention on a cosmic scale, but without a framework to give them permanency, these creations were fleeting.

One primordial stood apart from the others. This being’s true name is lost to the ages, but Fraternity archives name it the Prime Architect. It is written that this primordial was the first to peer beyond the veil of the Elemental Chaos to behold something Outside—a region of perfect order and harmony the Prime Architect named the Accordant Expanse.

Enraptured by this vision of perfection, the Prime Architect began to shape the Elemental Chaos on a massive scale. The first phase of the grand design required distilling the chaotic maelstrom into four base elements: air, earth, fire, and water. To achieve this end, the Architect enlisted four mighty elemental lords as overseers. As the framework took shape, the elemental lords in turn tasked their subordinates, the archomentals, with crafting the latticework of the final structure, incorporating mixtures of the base elements.

At last the Prime Architect beheld its momentous creation, raw elemental power molded by symmetry and order. By drawing on this cosmic arrangement of elements, the grand creations of the primordials could persist, allowing mortal life to flourish at last.

Even as the Prime Architect proudly surveyed its handiwork, subtle blemishes began to mar the nascent realms. At first barely perceptible, the minute imperfections began to multiply rapidly, forming fleshlike strands of corruption writhing in bluish slime. The Prime Architect watched in mute horror as a nearby world was dragged into the mass of tendrils and devoured by a colossal wormlike entity lurking within. Finally shaken from its immobility, the primordial moved quickly to intercept the aberrant behemoth before it could chew its way farther out of its dreadful Far Realm.

Fraternity documents are sketchy on the details of this colossal battle with the entity now called the Nine-Tongued Worm, but in the end the Prime Architect proved victorious. Just barely. It was mortally wounded, no longer able to stabilize the Elemental Chaos. It called one last time on the Accordant Expanse, bathing in the cosmic energy of absolute Order. The Prime Architect surrendered its flesh and was re-created as innumerable mechanical life forms, each a distinct entity but inseparable from the whole.

Thus the modron race was born.

The horde of newly created modrons mobilized into a hierarchy, then quickly spread across the cosmos to seal the remaining breaches to the Far Realm. Once this task was complete, they shifted themselves to the Accordant Expanse en masse. There they set immediately to work engineering a home for their kind, a bizarre realm of gears and cogs they named Mechanus.

Year by year, decade by decade, and century by century the modrons toiled, constructing their capital city at the heart of Mechanus. Sixty-four interlinking cogs rest atop each other like a colossal, mechanical ziggurat to form the clockwork metropolis of Regulus. At the heart of their clockwork home the modrons erected a grand cathedral in honor of the Prime Architect. Then, the four highest-ranking among them submerged themselves in a scintillating pool of pure Order and conjoined, triggering an unexpected apotheosis. From the pool arose the vestige of the Prime Architect, given new flesh and purpose: Primus, the One and the Prime.

The 4e cosmology makes it clear that no symmetry persisted in the Elemental Chaos, or only through the existence of four main elements, but this lore would work just as well in the 5e cosmology where there is both an Elemental Chaos and four distinct Elemental Planes. It can be thought of as an alternate timeline where the Prime Architect's final invocation of the essence of Law was effective not only in abjuring the Far Realm but also in stabilizing the Elemental Planes.

Some illustrations to go with this:

Spoiler: Old-school Primus (right) and the redesign they almost got in 5e (left).
    Show

Unused art from Wizards of the Coast.

Spoiler: How I imagine the Prime Architect looked like while working on the elements.
    Show

Image taken from the Magic: The Gathering card "Aphox, Aether Incarnate".

Spoiler: The Prime Architect fighting the Nine-Tongued Worm.
    Show

Art by SunnyClockwork, depicting a major event of the SCP Foundation mythos: the fight between Mekhane and Yaldabaoth, gods of metal and flesh, which also left the former as the Broken God.

I don't fully understand your godly tiers, but the Prime Architect ought to be part of the highest one. At the same time, I would say that the Prime Architect remains dead, broken into thousands of constructs. Primus is only the central unit and has been replaced several times like any other modron.

But even divine vestiges and broken primordials have followers here and there, and this one would certainly appeal to a multi-elemental genasi.
    Homebrew planar maps for D&D 5e:
    • Standard planes: English / French / Medal
    • Additional planes: English / French / Thread (eventually)
    • For spelljamming: English / French / Thread (eventually)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Anta'Uak The Two Headed Serpent, The Judge of Man, The Mother of Medicine And Poison.

When the first mortals were cast from clay to become living beings, it was the creature Anta'Uak who gave them both life and mortality. The greater gods feared to place their power in the trust of men, for it was foretold that in time men would cast down the gods and usurp their place. But as the gods argued whether to create mortal life or not, Anta and Uak discussed the issue between themselves and then acted.

Ignored by the gods, Anta'Uak was treated, at best, as a beast, or by some as vermin. Whether beast or not, the serpent was a being as old as the gods, and arguably of a degree of power to make of her a goddess. She was curt, heartless, and undeniably derisive. She refused to participate on either side in their wars, which earned the distrust of the gods.

Ignored, she watched the first men being crafted and set as statutary to the side while her betters argued over their fate.

Green-headed Anta bit the first clay man on its wrist and gave it life. As the man woke from the clay, the red-headed Uak bit it on the ankle and gave it Death. Thus, from the very awakening of Man, the first memory is of pain and the curse of a finite lifespan.

When the gods realized what had been done they came among the new mortals and spoke Ill of their benefactor, saying she had robbed them of the immortality which was their birthright. In punishment for her act, the gods set her at the gates of the afterlife so that as mortals passed she could judge them and assign them to the afterlife most appropriate for them.

When the mortal hero Gydrian entered the afterlife to retrieve her lover Yuri from the clawed phalanges of Jergal, she plead her case so eloquently that Anta'Uak agreed to restore his life with her kiss, if Gydrian should succeed and get him to leave his final reward for her.

Poccello The Song-Singer came before her, begging the power to cure sickness, disease, and infirmity. Anta'Uak agreed, if Poccello would perform eight deeds. Therefore Poccello undertook eight qests to unlock the mysteries of alchemy. With this knowledge medicine and poison came into the hands of mortals.

Anta'Uak has the appearance of a two-headed serpent, often represented as having a head instead of a tail on both ends of a knot. Less often she is depicted as a y-shaped serpent with two heads sharing a tail. In either style, her red head is shown with green eyes, and her green head is shown with red eyes.

Najimbanay The Herder, The Musician, The Guardian.

The first, (or second,) demigod, Najimbanay was born of a cloven-footed beast and the god of the sky and clouds. S/he is both male and female, and her early life in the mortal realms shaped her worldview. She has a greater affinity for her animals than for gods or humans.

She is usually depicted as half goat or cow. More rarely, she is shown as half pig or some other cloven-footed animal. The consistent theme is of a human head or upper torso grafted to a beast's body or hind legs.

As a mortal she lay beside a brook making love to the running water. The wind whistled a melody in the reeds which she found hauntingly lovely. She captured the reeds and their music, and the first syrinx was created. From this idea she created the flute and recorder, and eventually the shalm, which became her signature instrument.

When the goddess of weaving came to her asking for wool for her yarn, Najimbanay became fascinated, for a time, with string. Hearing it sing when stretched, she pulled various lengths and tautnesses of string until the optimal lengths, thicknesses, and taughtness of the material created a soothing, melodious scale which could be manipulated into music. (She was later to give this lyre to the patron diety of the arts in exchange for recognition as a god.)

Through all of her mortal years she was the defender of her mother's kin. The wolf and lion learned to fear her for her ability to kill at a distance. (She had invented the sling and became adept in its use.) They needed little more than the snap of her weapon to send them running, though often as not one of their number died of a slingstone before ever the crack of her sling reached their ears.

It was, in fact, the wanton slaughter of her kin by some of the gods which prompted her to become a deity herself. She went to the chief deity and demanded that the herds be left alone. In her audacity the chief deity recognized that portion of himself. He was inclined to grant her demand, but the gods who wished to continue their slaughter came and protested. Of the thirteen greatest gods, then, he required Najimbanay to convince six to vote in her favor for her petition to be granted.
    With the gift of wool and the lyre she gained two votes. The last, and most difficult vote, was achieved when she promised the deity of civilization to feed her children forever in exchange for her vote.
    Thus, she became the demigod of herders to civilized mortals, and in teaching animal husbandry, she insured that the children of her mother's kin would grow in number and be preserved from peril for uncounted generations to come.

She is the sibling of Nys, Father of Unicorns, whose power is greater, but limited to the Mallorn Wood, a small portion of the Golden Forest. While never recognized in the pantheon, Nys may be the first half-mortal to become a god, or the second. It is prophesied that his death will herald the end of the gods as the new gods awaken and usurp their elders' thrones.

Denue, Goddess of Beauty and Mother Of The Arts

Denue arrived after the banishment and subjugation of the Titans. Theologians argue whether she is the last free titan or the first god born in the world, with a host of positions between. The other gods do not appear to know, and she has never said.

She has many appearances, (some claim she is a shapechanger,) but each is the most beautiful of its kind. For example, among humans she wears a bewildering array of skin, hair, and eye colors, and ranges from obese to anorexic, very tall to very short, depending on the aesthetic sense of her worshippers in any particular time and place.

She is not a deity of sex or love. Nor is she celibate. In fact, she has many daughters and sons by many fathers. Each of these is the personification of an Art: Music, Dance, Storytelling, Engineering, Cooking, Carving, Weaving, Jeweler, and so on. Each of her children exemplifies a craft or profession which may have practical application, but which is also intended to bring beauty to the world. (Medicine may be considered an art in our time, but is not one of her children because it has no aesthetic quality. Science or Alchemy, farming, and similar fields, considered 'arts' in our world, are likewise not her children.)

Denue has the power to awe even the greatest of the gods, but she seldom uses it except to defend herself or her children.

The God of Love sired two of her children, Dance and Poetry. For many generations he has pined for her, but his passion is not rewarded. Many goddesses envy her for his affection, but he will not give up his hope that one day she will return his affection and become his bride.

The goddess of Sex and Jealousy tried to steal her beauty by cutting her hair and using it to make a veil. Bald, she was as beautiful as ever, but the veil made of her locks imparts a strange kind of beauty: it enhances physical attributes while revealing the inner personality of the wearer. Thus, Jealousy appears to be a voluptuous woman with a sneer and glaring eyes when wearing the veil.

Other deities, and even mortals, have used this artefact, with various results. For example, the homely goddess of Hearth and Home wore the veil on her wedding night and The Smith was deemed the luckiest of grooms because not only were her physical charms on full display, but the full beauty of her love for him could be seen by all.

Vijas: God of Winds, Scourge of Heaven, Bone-Grinder, Father of Djinni

The calm of morning is but a mirage on the desert as beautiful pink and orange skies turn brown. Winds whip loose sand across the faces of travellers and fling them toward a towering wall of dust which grows ever taller until it gives way and collapses, spreading outward at hurricane speed. Vijas has come, with lightning crackling in his hair, and ten thousand claws of sand which rend flesh from bone, leaving little behind but mounds of dessicated dust and sand-worn bone fragments.

The violent sand-storms which rage across the dry lands are the earthly manifestations of the god who punishes all. Vijas was a titan in the age before the birth of the gods who took the side of the gods when their war broke out. The gods used his strength and ferocity to accomplish their goals, and rewarded him by giving him dominion over the deserts of the material plane.

His children are the djinn, spirits of elemental smoke and dust, and he has spawned uncounted numbers of them. His callous approach to parenting insures many die within moments of their birth, and few live longer than an hour. Of those who do, some become quite powerful, but while all except the most stupid fear him, none love their father.

Those who worship him generally do so to appease him. Sometimes it works. Wind-sages live in his domain, studying his moods and methods, and have secret libraries filled with notes on his behaviors. His clerics tend to focus on how to live in his domain and how to survive in his presence. They lead the desert clans to avoid his wrath, or hide from it.

Prisoners are occasionally sacrificed by staking them out on the sand. Sometimes he will spare one, but this is very rare. The desert tribes tell stories of this, but no one knows of such a case personally.

A monastic order of recluses keeps his hidden strongholds and temples even when the tribes have migrated on. The monks dessicate the bodies of their dead in the heated sand and bind them in strips of linen cloth, animating them as eternal guardians of the offerings the monastery has garnered over time. These mummies and their skeleton servitors remain inert until magical seals are broken. They then awaken to drive off or kill intruders.

Wind-sages are occasionally seen with small- to medium-sized air sprites as familiars.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2022-11-01 at 11:41 PM.