New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1060
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1209 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PattThe View Post
    I think it's a blessing in disguise. Durkon is totally getting blown to pieces- this whole long scene was his goodbye. He's a static character and we're going into the endgame. People like Redcloak have to realize their situation and rise up to do what Durkon couldn't and change their point of view.

[...]

Durkon, for the narrative, has to leave for the others to grow into their own. IMO.
    Did you miss the entire book dedicated to Durkon’s character growth or...?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    For Durkon versus Redcloak...before this comic, I thought Durkon had a decent fighting/escape chance, since Redcloak himself earlier had said he was drained from the dungeon crawling.

If his definition of "drained" meant he still had 9th-level spells, it's pretty much close to zero that Durkon can escape on his own.
    I'm thinking back to #480 when Redcloak said he didn't have many spells left and then OHKO'd Hinjo with a surprise 7th-level. The main battle was over then, and I think he really was running low, just like most of the other casters were at that point in the day. Redcloak is the type to always keep one last heavy-hitter attack spell in reserve even when it looks like most of the fighting is over, just in case an unexpectedly powerful enemy tries to ambush him.

It wouldn't seem odd to me if it were similar here. He could have been drained of most high-level spells except for that emergency Implosion.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I'm thinking back to #480 when Redcloak said he didn't have many spells left and then OHKO'd Hinjo with a surprise 7th-level. The main battle was over then, and I think he really was running low, just like most of the other casters were at that point in the day. Redcloak is the type to always keep one last heavy-hitter attack spell in reserve even when it looks like most of the fighting is over, just in case an unexpectedly powerful enemy tries to ambush him.

It wouldn't seem odd to me if it were similar here. He could have been drained of most high-level spells except for that emergency Implosion.
    I mean... a lot of monsters - especially high level monsters - tend to have rather high Fort saves, so it’s not too farfetched that he’d have at least one unused Implosion left. Especially if it’s his domain slot.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Wrt the debate raging over "Should Durkon be kicked out of the party", two things come to mind:
    • The much-more immediate question: Will they ever see him again, or know what he did?
    Yes, they definitely will know what happened, unless Minrah is about to get very, very stupid.
    Also, I'm pretty confident they will see him again, after a fashion. Provided Implosion leaves something behind, Minrah will be in a position to deliver his sad remains back to the rest of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Belkar could do far less and potentially be kicked out, and would be deserved, because he has significantly less leeway. That does not mean he would have less mercy.
    The fact that Belkar could barely walk at that point probably also helped.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    In tactical terms, they've lost the element of surprise , which is a critical resource when fighting an enemy who is many levels above you.
    As Roy cautioned him on the boat. But I don't get your "throw him out of the order" line. If Roy wasn't going to throw Elan out of the Order for hitting the self destruct button on the first gate, he's not going to toss Durkon - his best friend - for this. If Roy wasn't going to toss V out for familicide, he's not going to toss his best friend out for this. Yeah, he'll be angry, but he's had to deal with his imperfect team before.
    For example, I can't imagine Durkon or Roy sneak attacking an unarmed person in the shower and then killing them in cold blood, no matter how deserved it was and no matter how much of a threat they posed.
    Nemesis who had already broken the truce. I note that you have since "qualified" your position in re Durkon being kicked out, but to even initiate that line of inquiry was, in my view, a basic error. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Elan isn't the sharpest crayon in the box, but he's considerably brighter than 3 INT. He's improved a lot since the early days.
    In his own words ...
    I got a 4!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As Roy cautioned him on the boat. But I don't get your "throw him out of the order" line. If Roy wasn't going to throw Elan out of the Order for hitting the self destruct button on the first gate, he's not going to toss Durkon - his best friend - for this. If Roy wasn't going to toss V out for familicide, he's not going to toss his best friend out for this. Yeah, he'll be angry, but he's had to deal with his imperfect team before.
    Nemesis who had already broken the truce. I note that you have since "qualified" your position in re Durkon being kicked out, but to even initiate that line of inquiry was, in my view, a basic error. YMMV.
    In his own words ...
    I got a 4!
    I am of the personal opinion that Elan’s Int is at least a bit higher than that; he’s smarter than Thog and Thog in turn is probably a bit smarter than those ogres. At the absolute lowest I’d pin him at 6~7.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #997

Lizardfolk

Don't know if this was discussed upthread, but what contingencies could Durkon have prepared for this eventuality? Would Plane Shift be enough to escape if he makes his first save? Admittedly it's not the best choice, but 'land on a random place in another plane of existence' beats 'remain in target range of a high level cleric'. When escaping, 'running to' is less important than 'running from'.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Don't know if this was discussed upthread, but what contingencies could Durkon have prepared for this eventuality? Would Plane Shift be enough to escape if he makes his first save? Admittedly it's not the best choice, but 'land on a random place in another plane of existence' beats 'remain in target range of a high level cleric'. When escaping, 'running to' is less important than 'running from'.
    If he got help from Vaarsuvius , he could have asked V to cast contingency . If Durkon or Minrah have the spell on their list, the logical get-out-of-trouble card at this point is Contingency + word of recall. Where contingency would be "Once taken below X% or incapacitated, teleport to home base".

If he doesn't have word of recall, I would try to go for contingency+Plane shift. He doesn't have teleport, wind walk will take 5 rounds he doesn't have. So if I were Durkon I'd use plane shift to retreat to Celestia and return to the party tomorrow, bearing word of the bad news. That will take Durkon out of the action for 24 hours -- which could mean anywhere from 1 to hundreds of strips.

If he doesn't have contingency set, if it were me, if I made the saving throw my very next action would be word of recall or plane shift. I can't think of anything else a cleric can cast in one round that will get him away fast enough.

If he fails his saving throw, there is absolutely no doubt that Redcloak will disintegrate the corpse, removing Durkon from the prime material plane for the duration of the story. I don't think there's anything Minrah can do in one round to prevent this.

The other possibility, which I doubt will happen, is the MiTD saving Durkon's life. I strongly doubt this will happen, though. We've already had Monster Ex Machina once, when he saved O-chul and Vaarsuvius from Xykon. I don't think the Giant will do that again, at least not so soon. Besides, the Giant is big on actions having consequences. Durkon isn't going to walk away from this little misadventure scot-free, even if he lives through it.

Roy won't throw him out, but he WILL give Durkon an earful. If Durkon has an ear left, of course.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-08-10 at 09:06 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

9. - Top - End - #999
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Since Durkon is a cleric of Thor plane shift to Valhalla makes more sense
    But plane shift doesn’t see much use (the whole ranch dressing not withstanding)
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

10. - Top - End - #1000

If he fails his saving throw, there is absolutely no doubt that Redcloak will disintegrate the corpse, removing Durkon from the prime material plane for the duration of the story. I don't think there's anything Minrah can do in one round to prevent this.
    I'd be more careful about that absolutely of yours. Even if Redcloak does not intend to pocket the remains for later use (of some sort (as a number of posters suggested before)), I'm not quite certain his first priority will be obliterating the body of an already defeated enemy with a relatively high-end offensive spell, especially since he has reason to suspect that an entire high level party might be lurking around somewhere in his close proximity, and since Durkon was the team cleric, they likely won't be able to resurrect him anyway, regardless whether he disposes of the ”body” or not.
    Further, if he has no such worries (which, frankly, would surprise me), he is in no hurry, either. Destroying the ”body” doesn't have to be his first action once Durkon's collapsed on himself, in which case Minrah would have a fair chance of retrieving it.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

If he fails his saving throw, there is absolutely no doubt that Redcloak will disintegrate the corpse, removing Durkon from the prime material plane for the duration of the story.
    Spoiler: Me right now
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #1002

GreataxeFighterGirl

Couldn't Redcloak lock him down with Dimensional Anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I'd be more careful about that absolutely of yours. Even if Redcloak does not intend to pocket the remains for later use (of some sort (as a number of posters suggested before)), I'm not quite certain his first priority will be obliterating the body of an already defeated enemy with a relatively high-end offensive spell, especially since he has reason to suspect that an entire high level party might be lurking around somewhere in his close proximity, and since Durkon was the team cleric, they likely won't be able to resurrect him anyway, regardless whether he disposes of the ”body” or not.
    Further, if he has no such worries (which, frankly, would surprise me), he is in no hurry, either. Destroying the ”body” doesn't have to be his first action once Durkon's collapsed on himself, in which case Minrah would have a fair chance of retrieving it.
    Minrah has to get into range to retrieve Durkon's body, and RC can use Implosion to target up to 4 people.

In fact, knowing that there's an adventuring party around means that Redcloak will probably wait besides Durkon's remains and kill whoever tries to retrieve it.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

Guys, the worst that will happen to Durkon over this is having to bear Belkar’s taunting about being a bad teammate.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Minrah has to get into range to retrieve Durkon's body, and RC can use Implosion to target up to 4 people.

In fact, knowing that there's an adventuring party around means that Redcloak will probably wait besides Durkon's remains and kill whoever tries to retrieve it.
    If they come in the next 20 seconds, sure. Though I doubt he would, I still believe he's killing Durkon not out of simple rejection.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I will amend "absolutely" to "very little doubt", at least in my mind. In the case of Tsukiko and the craftsgoblin who made the duplicate phylactery, Redcloak has demonstrated a willingness to use whatever power is necessary to eliminate threats to the Plan permanently, beyond the reach of resurrection. "Threats" includes allies who know too much, as well as enemies.

The Redcloak we saw crush the Azure City resistance is a goblin who is flat done taking chances. He doesn't respond to taunts, and he doesn't take stupid risks (remember the Paladin he caught in the fist of his elemental). All he does is take the shortest, most efficient path to realize his goals. Which remain the accomplishment of the Dark One's plan.

So yes. If Durkon leaves resurrectable remains behind, I firmly expect Redcloak to eliminate them in the very next round. I don't know what part Minrah can play, but I would say that rushing in to rescue the corpse means facing a cleric still in almost full possession of his daily spell slots and with allies very close by. The balance of probability is that a Minrah rescue would simply get her killed as well.

I suspect that Durkon didn't go into this blindly stupid; he DOES have a high wisdom score after all, and he's a seasoned adventurer. I'd expect Word of Recall or similar to be prepped in case negotiation goes sour. But he wasn't counting on implosion, which isn't a death effect but still kills in one round.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ... Elan’s Int ... At the absolute lowest I’d pin him at 6~7.
    OK, since I was making a joke I am good with that level of dump stat being a decent guess.
    If he doesn't have word of recall, I would try to go for contingency+Plane shift.
    From the cold north pole to cool ranch dressing plane. Go for the silly!
    Roy won't throw him out, but he WILL give Durkon an earful. If Durkon has an ear left, of course.
    No doubt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Since Durkon is a cleric of Thor plane shift to Valhalla makes more sense
    And he's seen it ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Me right now
    Show
    Nice hat.

I will amend "absolutely" to "very little doubt", at least in my mind. {snip} The Redcloak we saw crush the Azure City resistance is a goblin who is flat done taking chances.
    Yep. And his whole "I am not messing around" line was nested with his first use of implosion on the Elven Resistance. So one might infer that his use of Implosion here is likewise "I am done/not messing around" as a stance.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-10 at 01:46 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ettin in the Playground

The fact that Belkar could barely walk at that point probably also helped.
    Indeed, IIRC Haley says something to the effect of "I don't think you're in any position to force me to take you with me."

18. - Top - End - #1008

I will amend "absolutely" to "very little doubt", at least in my mind. In the case of Tsukiko and the craftsgoblin who made the duplicate phylactery, Redcloak has demonstrated a willingness to use whatever power is necessary to eliminate threats to the Plan permanently, beyond the reach of resurrection. "Threats" includes allies who know too much, as well as enemies.

The Redcloak we saw crush the Azure City resistance is a goblin who is flat done taking chances. He doesn't respond to taunts, and he doesn't take stupid risks (remember the Paladin he caught in the fist of his elemental). All he does is take the shortest, most efficient path to realize his goals. Which remain the accomplishment of the Dark One's plan.

So yes. If Durkon leaves resurrectable remains behind, I firmly expect Redcloak to eliminate them in the very next round. I don't know what part Minrah can play, but I would say that rushing in to rescue the corpse means facing a cleric still in almost full possession of his daily spell slots and with allies very close by. The balance of probability is that a Minrah rescue would simply get her killed as well.

I suspect that Durkon didn't go into this blindly stupid; he DOES have a high wisdom score after all, and he's a seasoned adventurer. I'd expect Word of Recall or similar to be prepped in case negotiation goes sour. But he wasn't counting on implosion, which isn't a death effect but still kills in one round.
    Those (i.e. the fate of the craftsman and Tsukiko) are not really good analogies, if you ask me. He did not expect to fight roughly half a dozen high-level adventurers soon afterwards, and thus he had all the 7th level spell slots nedded for the task to spare. Unloading your gun into a dead body when the dead body's living buddies should be somewhere close is not how I'd define efficiency.

Sounds more like him.

True. I set out form the assumption that she would be in gaseous for, which works fine against Implosion, but manipulating objects (such as Durkon's remains) or casting spells to manipulate objects… Well, neither mixes well with gaseous form.

(Hm. On second thought, is Bugsby's Improved Dead-Dwarf-Retrieving Hand a thing?)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-10 at 11:50 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1009

GreataxeFighterGirl

(Hm. On second thought, is Bugsby's Improved Dead-Dwarf-Retrieving Hand a thing?)
    Disintegrate (which is a specialty of Redcloak's).

Wow, now I really want to see V and Redcloak fight.

20. - Top - End - #1010

If he got help from Vaarsuvius , he could have asked V to cast contingency . If Durkon or Minrah have the spell on their list, the logical get-out-of-trouble card at this point is Contingency + word of recall. Where contingency would be "Once taken below X% or incapacitated, teleport to home base".
    That's a pretty bad triggering condition in this case. Implosion is all or nothing, and so is slay living, destruction, etc. If I were going up against a cleric multiple levels higher than me with a penchant for save or die spells, I'd set my contingency to go off after the first time I was the target of a spell cast by someone other than myself.

If he doesn't have word of recall, I would try to go for contingency+Plane shift. He doesn't have teleport, wind walk will take 5 rounds he doesn't have. So if I were Durkon I'd use plane shift to retreat to Celestia and return to the party tomorrow, bearing word of the bad news. That will take Durkon out of the action for 24 hours -- which could mean anywhere from 1 to hundreds of strips.
    Unless he prepared 2. Plane Shifting back before his wind walk wears off is the perfect opportunity to make his way back expediently.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-08-10 at 01:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1011

(Important update: it absolutely does exist!)

22. - Top - End - #1012

BlueWizardGirl

Unloading your gun into a dead body when the dead body's living buddies should be somewhere close is not how I'd define efficiency.
    In the real world, yes. In a world where dead bodies commonly return to life, to the point where the afterlife has a revolving door, destroying the body is the equivalent of making sure that a disabled or injured opponent is really dead.

If Redcloak succeeds in killing Durkon, and really does want him permanently dead, he’ll make sure of it.

But I still suspect there’s something more going on here (i.e., that either Durkon will survive or that Redcloak’s motivations are more complex than they seem).
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2020-08-10 at 01:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1013

It does take 10 full minutes to revive a corpse (barring the revivify or clone spells), so standing by to kill anyone who tries to retrieve the corpse then dusting it if they manage to get close does make sense.

24. - Top - End - #1014

GreataxeFighterGirl

Wait, then why not dust the corpse first, put it in a little pouch, and then wait for the adventurers to come? Less likely that someone could get a piece of it, and easier to keep track of.

25. - Top - End - #1015

WolfInSheepsClothing

> Replies: 1,015

wow

26. - Top - End - #1016

Wait, then why not dust the corpse first, put it in a little pouch, and then wait for the adventurers to come? Less likely that someone could get a piece of it, and easier to keep track of.
    You can use it as bait, and a distraction, and even as a hostage. And it's a bit easier to keep track of someone cutting a pinky off than keeping track of where all the dust is.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-08-10 at 01:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1017

Easier to use Animate Dead. Uses a lower level slot, you get a minion, and it also prevents somebody from coming back easily.

28. - Top - End - #1018

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    You can use it as bait, and a distraction, and even as a hostage. And it's a bit easier to keep track of someone cutting a pinky off than keeping track of where all the dust is.
    Technically, it'd also be harder for the party to keep track of the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Easier to use Animate Dead. Uses a lower level slot, you get a minion, and it also prevents somebody from coming back easily.
    Implosion looks like the opposite of leaving an "intact corpse" behind.

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    > Replies: 1,015

wow
    I cannot wait to see how big the thread will get on the final strip.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    If he is going down that route he should likely use some version of Create Undead (perhaps Redcloak's custom Death Knight creation spell) to get a potentially useful minion, with the added bonus for the narrative of the Order having to come to terms with there friend being brought back as an undead monster and wondering if they can still trust him.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I mean... a lot of monsters - especially high level monsters - tend to have rather high Fort saves, so it’s not too farfetched that he’d have at least one unused Implosion left. Especially if it’s his domain slot.
    I don't quite know where this would fit in with what I was trying to say, but since I left the actual point of the argument I was trying to make unsaid, the communication failure is on my end.

To try again: it wouldn't surprise me if Redcloak is actually very low on spell slots above 5th level or so. That would be consistent with what we've been told about Team Evil's dungeon delving, as understatement had noted. They do it at dusk (so Redcloak hasn't had time to recharge), the process drains Redcloak especially of spells (having to use separate spell slots to heal living and undead party members), and they've increased the pace lately (meaning he should be even more drained). That he had a 9th-level tucked away after all doesn't necessarily imply he's not really drained, or that he will have a lot of good options left for preventing Durkon's escape if he survives the surprise attack. He has a track record of keeping a powerful trump card in reserve, even when he's otherwise exhausted. Now that he's blown it, he may be in some difficulty.

None of which may be relevant at all if Durkon simply dies here, of course.