New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1060
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: OOTS #1209 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I don't quite know where this would fit in with what I was trying to say, but since I left the actual point of the argument I was trying to make unsaid, the communication failure is on my end.

To try again: it wouldn't surprise me if Redcloak is actually very low on spell slots above 5th level or so. That would be consistent with what we've been told about Team Evil's dungeon delving, as understatement had noted. They do it at dusk (so Redcloak hasn't had time to recharge), the process drains Redcloak especially of spells (having to use separate spell slots to heal living and undead party members), and they've increased the pace lately (meaning he should be even more drained). That he had a 9th-level tucked away after all doesn't necessarily imply he's not really drained, or that he will have a lot of good options left for preventing Durkon's escape if he survives the surprise attack. He has a track record of keeping a powerful trump card in reserve, even when he's otherwise exhausted. Now that he's blown it, he may be in some difficulty.

None of which may be relevant at all if Durkon simply dies here, of course.
    Yeah, back at the battle of AC he was specifically shown to have a few high level spells in reserve even when he said he was out.

2. - Top - End - #1022

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Yeah, back at the battle of AC he was specifically shown to have a few high level spells in reserve even when he said he was out.
    Yep, I had pointed that out specifically.

I'm thinking back to #480 when Redcloak said he didn't have many spells left and then OHKO'd Hinjo with a surprise 7th-level. The main battle was over then, and I think he really was running low, just like most of the other casters were at that point in the day. Redcloak is the type to always keep one last heavy-hitter attack spell in reserve even when it looks like most of the fighting is over, just in case an unexpectedly powerful enemy tries to ambush him.

It wouldn't seem odd to me if it were similar here. He could have been drained of most high-level spells except for that emergency Implosion.

> Replies: 1,015

wow
    Still over 1000 posts short of Hilgya killing Durkon, but coming close to parity with Malack killing Durkon. Although it's taken a week for this thread to catch up with 877 -- so actually, maybe surprisingly, Redcloak killing Durkon appears to be less controversial than Malack or Hilgya doing it.

3. - Top - End - #1023

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yep, I had pointed that out specifically.

oh I idn't see that comment

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

He never said he was out. He said he didn't have many. He just failed to specify whether or not they were powerful.

But yeah, he Redcloak looks to be the anti-Laurin. Keep the heavy hitters in reserve instead of breaking them out early and often.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #1025

WolfInSheepsClothing

Right, sorry for not specifying..

6. - Top - End - #1026

Lizardfolk

People talking about disintegrating the body: does Implosion leave a body? It might just be because I've watched Antman and Thor 2, but I'd expect implosion to leave behind, at best, goo. At worst, a singularity.

7. - Top - End - #1027

GreataxeFighterGirl

Still over 1000 posts short of Hilgya killing Durkon, but coming close to parity with Malack killing Durkon. Although it's taken a week for this thread to catch up with 877 -- so actually, maybe surprisingly, Redcloak killing Durkon appears to be less controversial than Malack or Hilgya doing it.
    I guess people have gotten used to Durkon getting killed by Evil clerics.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

What I really hope happens is that the spell just fizzles out. Why would that happen you ask? Because RC is acting directly against his god's interests. Here Durkon was giving him a frank and serious offer on behalf of the gods to give goblinoids equal rights, even so much as so say he would do his best to allow them to keep Gobbletopia, basically everything that The Dark One wants, and RC just flat out rejects it due to what...pride? Because he is so proud that his evil plan is scaring the gods? If I was the Dark One I would take away his powers then and there and godslap him for his audacity to do this without even consulting his god. But that's just me. But yes, if this isn't the case, I do really hope Durkon was smart enough to have cast Death Ward on himself.
    Last edited by AeronGrey; 2020-08-10 at 03:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1029

I didn't know that threads were allowed to be as long as 1149 is
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I cannot wait to see how big the thread will get on the final strip.
    Giant posting, pinning, and locking the tread would be the greatest troll though
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

11. - Top - End - #1031

I guess people have gotten used to Durkon getting killed by Evil clerics.
    I think the kill not being confirmed is also a key factor. If the next strip shows Durkon's corpse and whatever Redcloak does with it, people will doubtless have a lot to say. If it also includes giving us the remainder of Durkon's gruesome and excruciating death, it will probably horrify people out of their complacency entirely.

(Though I think I'd still be surprised if it topped the Hilgya thread no matter what. Redcloak's a controversial character, but Hilgya was in a category of her own.)
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2020-08-10 at 04:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    In the real world, yes. In a world where dead bodies commonly return to life, to the point where the afterlife has a revolving door, destroying the body is the equivalent of making sure that a disabled or injured opponent is really dead.

If Redcloak succeeds in killing Durkon, and really does want him permanently dead, he’ll make sure of it.

But I still suspect there’s something more going on here (i.e., that either Durkon will survive or that Redcloak’s motivations are more complex than they seem).
    Actually, it's not uncommon in the real world for soldiers to unload into "dead" bodies. Some people play dead and leap up at you when you're not expecting it. If you've got ammo to spare, sometimes it's useful to make sure "dead" people really are dead.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

13. - Top - End - #1033

Quote Originally Posted by AeronGrey View Post
    What I really hope happens is that the spell just fizzles out. Why would that happen you ask? Because RC is acting directly against his god's interests. Here Durkon was giving him a frank and serious offer on behalf of the gods to give goblinoids equal rights, even so much as so say he would do his best to allow them to keep Gobbletopia, basically everything that The Dark One wants, and RC just flat out rejects it due to what...pride? Because he is so proud that his evil plan is scaring the gods? If I was the Dark One I would take away his powers then and there and godslap him for his audacity to do this without even consulting his god. But that's just me. But yes, if this isn't the case, I do really hope Durkon was smart enough to have cast Death Ward on himself.
    Gods can't take away spells already granted. And Redcloak is doing exactly what his deity told him: Finish The Plan, and don't screw up. And Death Ward has no effect on a spell that does not include the {Death} tag.

I'm pretty sure this has been pointed out several times now.

14. - Top - End - #1034

GreataxeFighterGirl

I think the kill not being confirmed is also a key factor. If the next strip shows Durkon's corpse and whatever Redcloak does with it, people will doubtless have a lot to say. If it also includes giving us the remainder of Durkon's gruesome and excruciating death, it will probably horrify people out of their complacency entirely.

(Though I think I'd still be surprised if it topped the Hilgya thread no matter what. Redcloak's a controversial character, but Hilgya was in a category of her own.)
    That definitely makes sense. I remembered reading 1149 and being really surprised and I wanted to know how other people thought of it, so I finally went over the forum -- and the range of responses were interesting, to say in the least. Fond first memories.

Yeah, Redcloak is a character of many interpretations, but for Hilgya I think it boiled down "didn't like her" to "absolute hatred".

15. - Top - End - #1035

There's also Weirdo's outright worship of her.

16. - Top - End - #1036

SolithKnightGuy

Half the posts were people not reading the thread and so repeating previous ideas and then the inevitable responses
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2020-08-10 at 06:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Gods can't take away spells already granted.
    They can take away a cleric's ability to cast them though., under certain circumstances.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm

Ex-Clerics
    A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons.

Otherwise though, they have to wait till the mortal prepares them:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/di...tm#grantSpells

A deity can withhold spells from any particular mortal as a free action; once a spell has been granted, it remains in the mortal’s mind until expended.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I didn't know that threads were allowed to be as long as 1149 is
    I think that one of the mods once said (and this might be on a different sub forum that I recall this from) that at about 50 pages it becomes time to close the thread and begin a sequel.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I think that one of the mods once said (and this might be on a different sub forum that I recall this from) that at about 50 pages it becomes time to close the thread and begin a sequel.
    I don't know where it was first stated - but one of the later statements was:

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Threads should always be restarted after 50 pages. This isn't a hard and fast rule, they can go slightly beyond 50 pages if there's no one around who's ready to do it. But, it should never be done before page 50 (without good reason).
    And from here:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-Thread-Length

It's an administrative rule more than a conduct rule. We're unlikely to get on anyone's case about there being an over-length thread. But you should start a new one when you get to 50 and report the thread so we can close the old one,
    When a thread hits 50 pages, start then to move to a new thread. But, don't panic if it spills over by a few pages, you don't have to nix the old thread immediately.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-08-10 at 06:47 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Still over 1000 posts short of Hilgya killing Durkon
    I'll take some of the credit for that, TYVM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm glad I accidently jumped to the end of the strip. Knowing it's a cliffhanger, I'll wait it out for another strip or 3 to better resolve!

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Um ... I'm going to ask this.

If Durkon survives and is resurrected, that means he'll be down three levels from his previous peak -- he lost a level when he was resurrected after being killed by Malack, probably lost another when Hilda Flame Struck him dead, and now this will be #3.

How does he earn those XP back? As I recall, the monsters in these dungeons are so tough that even Xykon, with his Lich LA, managed to pick up some XP. Will they do some grinding before the main event? Will they be able to, now that Redcloak is alerted to their presence?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't quite know where this would fit in with what I was trying to say, but since I left the actual point of the argument I was trying to make unsaid, the communication failure is on my end.
    Danielxcutter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that as being in agreement that he may be low in spells, since the domain slot is limited in what spell to pick (it's either Implosion or Summon Monster IX) and as implosion might be a poor choice in the dungeons it might go unused, even though it's a high spell slot/powerfull spell. So it's a plausible spell to be left over.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

24. - Top - End - #1044

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Um ... I'm going to ask this.

If Durkon survives and is resurrected, that means he'll be down three levels from his previous peak -- he lost a level when he was resurrected after being killed by Malack, probably lost another when Hilda Flame Struck him dead, and now this will be #3.

How does he earn those XP back? As I recall, the monsters in these dungeons are so tough that even Xykon, with his Lich LA, managed to pick up some XP. Will they do some grinding before the main event? Will they be able to, now that Redcloak is alerted to their presence?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    If Durkon survives, he'll be fine.

Regardless of his action here, I don't think Redcloak will try to alert this to Xykon in any way -- the fact that a dwarf tried diplomacy with him is enough for suspicion.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

If Durkon survives, he'll be fine.

Regardless of his action here, I don't think Redcloak will try to alert this to Xykon in any way -- the fact that a dwarf tried diplomacy with him is enough for suspicion.
    I have to agree since Durkon has info about the rifts that Xykon has no knowledge about. If he learns about it then who can say if Xykon won't eliminate Redcloak for hiding such valuable information from him for all this time. Even if he spares Redcloak's life, it probably changes Xykon's plan greatly when it comes to the final gate. Maybe even enough to where he won't even help Redcloak with his half of the spell and Redcloak can't accomplish it on his own.

26. - Top - End - #1046

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    People talking about disintegrating the body: does Implosion leave a body? It might just be because I've watched Antman and Thor 2, but I'd expect implosion to leave behind, at best, goo. At worst, a singularity.
    The spell doesn't specify what happens to the remains very well. I maintain that a "destructive resonance" causing your body to crush itself doesn't have to go beyond a particularly mangled death by crushing. Spells that leave the corpse in a particularly notable state, such as disintegrate, usually note as such. Any compression of total volume is just speculation or ruling on the part of the player/dm.

27. - Top - End - #1047

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    I have to agree since Durkon has info about the rifts that Xykon has no knowledge about. If he learns about it then who can say if Xykon won't eliminate Redcloak for hiding such valuable information from him for all this time. Even if he spares Redcloak's life, it probably changes Xykon's plan greatly when it comes to the final gate. Maybe even enough to where he won't even help Redcloak with his half of the spell and Redcloak can't accomplish it on his own.
    A belated thought... when Durkon walked up, Oona was walking away. Oona didn't know who Durkon was, but what if Xykon asked where Redcloak had gotten off to ?

Redcloak doesn't hesitate to eliminate even his own loyal people if there's a non-zero chance something could tip off Xykon that he's being double-crossedwrt the Snarl. If Redcloak got even a hint that Xykon might be nearby, let alone saw him, he wouldn't hesitate to Implode Durkon - even if he loved Durkon's idea and was 100% on board.

28. - Top - End - #1048

EvilClericGuy

The bugbear Redcloak was talking to probably wasn't Oona, since their mask is different (doesn't have the big antlers).

29. - Top - End - #1049

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    The bugbear Redcloak was talking to probably wasn't Oona, since their mask is different (doesn't have the big antlers).
    I'll take your word for it, but I believe the overall point is unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    The spell doesn't specify what happens to the remains very well. I maintain that a "destructive resonance" causing your body to crush itself doesn't have to go beyond a particularly mangled death by crushing.
    That's what we saw when Redcloak imploded someone while recovering Xykon's phylactery. Panel showed their face being warped (saving throw?), then panel two showed them going sqwrhygiewtch (failed save, takes effect).

30. - Top - End - #1050

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Rich really is a vegetarian. He mentioned, in the published book's notes, that his description of Malack's plan for industrial style vampirism was a deliberate echo of real-world slaughterhouses. Yes, Rich really is a vegetarian for ethical reasons and he's put it in his strip.

I have a different viewpoint from him, but I respect his convictions.
    And I am serious in wondering if he would consider opening a business based around butchery to be an evil act. It wouldn't be by RAW, obviously, but OOTS world doesn't run strictly on those.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Consider the hydra burgers......
    THAT is EVIL
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.