New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Witch Hunt!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Witch Hunt!

Please wait to post until I add a second post opening the day.

A reminder of some of the atypical rules in this particular game. Please read:
    • Roles are not revealed on death.
    • Communication outside either the thread or QTs provided by the narrator is not allowed. Posting at night is also not allowed.
    • Voting ends as soon as a majority has been reached, rather than continuing for a set duration. This means it is possible to end the day earlier than expected by adding the last vote needed for a majority, either accidentally or intentionally.
    • It is possible to vote for "no lynch" and this can reach a majority and end the day. (Though note the "judge" role)
    • Day phases do however have a time limit of 72 hours, and if that is reached the day will end as if "no lynch" had won the vote. (This time limit may be changed if it ends up feeling too long).
    • Because it is important to be able to go back and track when votes were made and retracted, editing posts is not allowed. If you want to retract a vote please make a new post including UNVOTE in red.
    • The witches can choose to sacrifice one of their own in order to make their kill unblockable. This can be done by voting in the witches' QT, and only requires votes from half the living witches rather than a strict majority. In the event of a tie, both witches are sacrificed, with the exception that the spy always loses a 1v1 vote.
    • There is a spy among the witches who is actually a member of town. This means the witches cannot fully trust each other, and essentially have to play a game within the game, trying to identify the spy like town tries to identify the witches.

Spoiler: Role PMs
    Show
    Roles used in the game:
    • Spy
    • Vampire Hunter
    • Acolyte
    • Assassin
    • Warlock
    • Priest
    • Enchantress
    • Vengeful Bastard
    • Judge
    • Junior Witch
    • Traveler
    • Survivalist
    • Martyr
    • Werewolf

Witches

Spoiler: Assassin
    Show
    Assassin

You are a witch. You win if the werewolf and all the villagers are dead, or if it is no longer logically possible for the witches to lose.

If you are alive when a witch is sacrificed (including if you are the one sacrificed) then the witches gain an additional night kill.

The witches are:
    • NAME (warlock)
    • NAME (enchantress)
    • NAME (demon)
    • NAME (necromancer)

Remember that one of your fellow witches is actually the spy.

Personal QT: LINK

Witch QT: LINK

Spoiler: Warlock
    Show
    Warlock

You are a witch. You win if the werewolf and all the villagers are dead, or if it is no longer logically possible for the witches to lose.

You will survive the first time you should die to a lynch.

The witches are:
    • NAME (assassin)
    • NAME (enchantress)
    • NAME (demon)
    • NAME (necromancer)

Spoiler: Junior Witch
    Show
    Junior Witch

You do not begin the game in contact with the other witches, and do not know their identities. The other witches, and the spy, also do not know your identity.

At any point during the game, you may join the witch QT. Before that point, the priest will see you as good. If you join during the night, the priest will see you as evil that same night.

Remember that one of the witches is actually the spy.

Spoiler: Enchantress
    Show
    Enchantress

Before the game begins, you may chose two players to be lovers. As long as both lovers are alive, you cannot die to a normal lynch (but can die to a judge lynch). Note that you are not required to chose lovers.

The lovers will be told each other’s alignment at the beginning of the game (a spy or junior witch will appear to be town, as with the priest’s scry). If one of the lovers dies to a lynch, the other will also die. If one of the lovers is the werewolf, the other will be informed of that fact and will join the werewolf faction. Otherwise, being a lover does not change the players’ faction.

The witches are:
    • NAME (assassin)
    • NAME (warlock)
    • NAME (demon)
    • NAME (necromancer)

Town Roles

Spoiler: Spy
    Show
    Spy

You are a member of the town. You win if the werewolf and all the witches are dead.

You replace one of the witches, and have access to the witch QT. However, you do not have the power of the witch you replace (unless you replace the junior witch).

You cannot be devoured by the werewolf, and always appear as “good” to the priest.

You are taking the place of the ROLE

The witches are:
    • NAME (assassin)
    • NAME (warlock)
    • NAME (enchantress)
    • NAME (demon)
    • NAME (necromancer)

Spoiler: Vampire Hunter
    Show
    Vampire Hunter

You are a member of the town. You win if the werewolf and all the witches are dead.

There are no vampires.

Spoiler: Priest
    Show
    Priest

Every night you can check one player. Villagers, the spy and a junior witch who has not yet joined the other witches return “good.” Witches, the werewolf, and a junior witch who has already joined the other witches return “evil.”

The acolyte knows your identity, but you do not know theirs.

Spoiler: Acolyte
    Show
    Acolyte

You know the identity of the priest.

NAME is the priest

Spoiler: Vengeful Bastard
    Show
    Vengeful Bastard

When you die, you may chose another player to be killed. This bypasses most protection, though a survivalist will still survive if it is their first death, and the werewolf will survive if they have successfully devoured.

Spoiler: Judge
    Show
    Judge

Any day with no lynch, either because of a failure to reach a majority or because the majority vote was for “no lynch,” you may chose a player to die. The player will die before night and will be considered to have died to a lynch, but their death will only be announced at the end of the night, and their role will be revealed to the necromancer instead of the medium. A Judge lynch will also kill an Enchantress who is still protected from a normal lynch by the lovers.

Spoiler: Traveler
    Show
    Traveler

You are protected from the witches’ night kill.

Spoiler: Survivalist
    Show
    Survivalist

You will survive the first time something should kill you.

Spoiler: Martyr
    Show
    Martyr

You may sacrifice yourself to save another player from dying. At the end of every phase, you will be informed of who is dying and given the opportunity to take their place.

The Werewolf

Spoiler
    Show
    Werewolf

You are the werewolf. You win if all the witches and villagers are dead, or if it is no longer logically possible for you to lose.

You cannot be lynched., though you can be killed by the vengeful bastard or by having your lover lynched (if you have one).

You may attempt to devour another player once per day. If you correctly identify their role, they are immediately killed and you are immune to all kills until the next day. Regardless of whether the attempt is successful, it will be publically revealed and your role will be exposed.

The spy cannot be devoured.

Lovers

Spoiler: Lovers
    Show
    Lover

In addition, you are a lover! If your lover is lynched (and actually dies to it), you will die as well.

Your lover is NAME, a member of the FACTION.

Lovers’ QT: LINK

Spoiler: Werewolf's Lover
    Show
    Werewolf Lover

In addition, you are a lover!

Your lover is NAME, the werewolf, and so you are a part of the werewolf faction.

Lovers’ QT: LINK

Players:
    1. AvatarVecna
    2. Valmark
    3. gac3
    4. Apogee1
    5. JeenLeen
    6. Snowblaze
    7. Bunny of Faith
    8. rogue_alchemist
    9. JonnyPatches
    10. CaoimhinTheCape
    11. Xihirli
    12. Elenna
    13. Unavenger
    Last edited by Aventine; 2020-08-04 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Witch Hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Valmark, you've played enough of these I don't feel bad about killing you D1. You'll do for a poke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Please wait to post until I add a second post opening the day.
    *scowly face*

Please try to restrain yourselves from killing each other for just a little longer.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

To be more clear. I kinda didn't expect flat to be so quick to get the thread approved. I had hoped to have a little time so everyone could see their PMs and be aware that things are about to start before they actually did start. Especially since the Enchantress is supposed to pick lovers before the game, but I sent out all the PMs at once at the same time as I made the thread.

So I just wanted to give some time for everyone to realize the game is about to begin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Day One Begins!
    There are 13 living players: the day will end once a majority of 7 votes is reached or after 72 hours
    (Sorry for the delay, feel free to kill each other now)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I know Xihirli will vote me soooo... Nah doesn't matter, AV's first anyway. AvatarVecna.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

The great lord RNGesus bids me to vote for gac3
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Under the circumstances I see no reason not to swap our lynch for a dayvig. Judge, choose wisely. No Lynch.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    Under the circumstances I see no reason not to swap our lynch for a dayvig. Judge, choose wisely. No Lynch.
    Everyone voting No Lynch will mean we have no information about voting patterns in the future, though. Granted the voting patterns might be less useful without flips, but still. And leaving everything to the judge means making lynches into RNG, because they have no way of getting more information except for what's in the public thread, so if we all just spam No Lynch they basically have no information to work with. Which seems worse than having discussions.

(I guess people could vote No Lynch and still have a discussion so the judge can make decisions off that, and maybe that's a good idea? But tbh I'm worried that it would just devolve into people not saying anything.)
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

9. - Top - End - #9

WolfInSheepsClothing

D1 voting is a hell of a mess usually anyway, and doesn't often mean much. And there's no reason why we can't tell things to the judge for as long as we're confident they're alive, which is... well, we're certain they're alive D1, at least. There's nothing stopping people from giving whatever info they have, and then voting NL anyway to allow a confirmed townie to pick the kill target, and I think it's a good idea for at least one night - particularly since the normal lynch has a two thirds chance of doing nothing if it lands on a witch, as it can only kill the assassin.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Eeney meeney miney Snowblaze.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    ... particularly since the normal lynch has a two thirds chance of doing nothing if it lands on a witch, as it can only kill the assassin.
    ...are you claiming to know the number and roles of witches in this game?
    UNVOTE gac3
    Unavenger, explain thyself.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Elenna, the roles used are in the OP :p

- - - Updated - - -

Though, I honestly don't think advocating for No Lynch is a good thing- on the first day we know that if no majority is reached a kill will go off nonetheless, si we shouldn't push for that.

Plus, No Lynch doesn't help discussion- it may be a mess, but it's a mess we can check later.

I don't see how people can share info otherwise, since anything you tell the judge has to be public. Unless you got confused with a QT you may have in addition to your personal QT?

UNVOTE AvatarVecna
    VOTE Unavenger

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Elenna, the roles used are in the OP :p
    Um. So they are. This is what I get for checking the recruitment thread instead of the starting post of the game thread.

That being said, I'm still not a huge fan of the No Lynch strategy. If we really want to let the judge decide, it seems better/simpler to just discuss normally and avoid forming a majority. When was the last time you saw a D1 wagon get more than half the votes anyway?

I feel weird voting Unavenger for suggesting a bad strategy D1, since that's what just got me mislynched in Jellicle Ball, but literally everyone else has either said nothing or has said things that look null or townie to me, so I'm leaving my vote there for now.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Not sure on voting yet.

But just to clarify: We know there are four enemies of town.
    The enchantress
    The junior witch
    The werewolf
    Either the assassin or the warlock.

I didn't read all of the recruitment comments so the werewolf lover might also be anti town.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely anti town. I reread the enchantress.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Right. Take 2.

Valmark, you've played enough of these I don't feel bad about killing you D1. You'll do for a poke.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Not sure on voting yet.

But just to clarify: We know there are four enemies of town.
    The enchantress
    The junior witch
    The werewolf
    Either the assassin or the warlock.

I didn't read all of the recruitment comments so the werewolf lover might also be anti town.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely anti town. I reread the enchantress.
    Gac3, how are you excluding both the enchantress and the junior witch from the possible witches who are really the Spy?

I can see why the former, but the latter? Assuming that's why you said Assassin OR Warlock.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Gac3, how are you excluding both the enchantress and the junior witch from the possible witches who are really the Spy?

I can see why the former, but the latter? Assuming that's why you said Assassin OR Warlock.
    I was. Enchantress because if we have lovers, then they aren't the spy. The junior witch... Because I forgot they were an option for the spy.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I was. Enchantress because if we have lovers, then they aren't the spy. The junior witch... Because I forgot they were an option for the spy.
    Aaaagh that's the kind of reply that always makes me suspect you and then you're never a wolf. But if I have to choose I prefer pointing at Unavenger for now.

And yeah, I assumed the Enchantress was because we know the lovers are in game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Eeney meeney miney Snowblaze.
    AvatarVecna, because OMGUS. Also because I’m too lazy to come up with serious reads this early in the morning.

- - - Updated - - -

The Junior Witch can also be lynched. And the Warlock has to be lynched twice, so lynching them once still helps us even if it doesn’t directly do anything.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Aaaagh that's the kind of reply that always makes me suspect you and then you're never a wolf. But if I have to choose I prefer pointing at Unavenger for now.

And yeah, I assumed the Enchantress was because we know the lovers are in game.
    It's been so long since I have been a wolf in a game other than crazy idea. I did so poorly last time, I actually wish I had a chance to see how I would do now that I'm more than two games in.

But I'm not sure what wolf me would have to gain from not remembering (or claiming not to remember) that the junior witch could be the spy.

I get pointing at Unavenger but the logic they presented is somewhat sound as far as I can tell. It's also pretty on brand for them. So for now I'll go with Caiohminthe Cape to try to get them talking some.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'll vote JeenLeen, since she hasn't said anything yet. I think JonnyPatches is new, so welcome! It is always nice to have fresh blood (you know in a totally normal way, not in a "I want to suck your blood" kind of way ).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

But I'm not sure what wolf me would have to gain from not remembering (or claiming not to remember) that the junior witch could be the spy.
    Could have been a slip up. Maybe you are the JC and not the Spy, and misremembered saying that JC couldn't be the Spy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    I think JonnyPatches is new, so welcome! It is always nice to have fresh blood (you know in a totally normal way, not in a "I want to suck your blood" kind of way ).
    Well... The Vampire Hunter is in the game...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Super secret vampire role confirmed.

Valmark, so we've got two people with two votes. Still not sure I get how to do D1 correctly, but as I understand it you point at people to get them to say stuff, to have information for later days? (Based on what they say, and how other people vote)

24. - Top - End - #24

I get pointing at Unavenger but the logic they presented is somewhat sound as far as I can tell. It's also pretty on brand for them. So for now I'll go with Caiohminthe Cape to try to get them talking some.
    That's fair but you're unlikely to get much out of me right now. Power went out at my house yesterday, and no idea when it will come back. Until then I don't expect to post too much.

My first instinct was to agree with Unavenger, that No Lynch is a safe place to vote (especially on Day 1) but Elenna makes some good points for why it's better to vote and avoid majority, if that's what we decide to do. I'm leaning town on both of them.

Other than that, I don't have any particular reads to act on yet so I'm not putting a vote down.

Vote Count (7 to Lynch)

Unavenger (2): Elenna, Valmark
    Snowblaze (1): AvatarVecna
    Valmark (1): Xihirli
    CaoimhinTheCape (1): gac3
    JeenLeen (1): rogue_alchemist
    No Lynch (1): Unavenger
    No Vote: CaoimhinTheCape

No Posts: Apogee1, JeenLeen, Bunny of Faith, JonnyPatches

- - - Updated - - -

Ninja'd, but I can't edit a post.

Vote Count (7 to Lynch)

Unavenger (2): Elenna, Valmark
    Snowblaze (1): AvatarVecna
    Valmark (2): Xihirli, Bunny of Faith
    CaoimhinTheCape (1): gac3
    JeenLeen (1): rogue_alchemist
    No Lynch (1): Unavenger
    No Vote: CaoimhinTheCape

No Posts: Apogee1, JeenLeen, JonnyPatches

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny of Faith View Post
    Still not sure I get how to do D1 correctly, but as I understand it you point at people to get them to say stuff, to have information for later days? (Based on what they say, and how other people vote)
    Exactly that!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sup everyone

Internet access might be spotty for me for a couple of days cause a storm knocked out a bunch of lines and data is overworked.

I'll come back and drop a bunch of mechanics thoughts in the threads later.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Should we be ready to catch them, or resign ourselves to a squishy death?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Could have been a slip up. Maybe you are the JC and not the Spy, and misremembered saying that JC couldn't be the Spy.

Ah that's a good point. I also could be the spy and the Junior Witch (it's junior witch right? Why jc?) And I'm trying to act like a JW who isn't the spy and slipped up so the witches think I'm not the spy.

That said, I'm neither the Junior witch more the spy. Though honestly, does the spy have much to lose from outing themselves? Probably the werewolf issue I bet. I think I saw mention of that in the recruitment thread.

29. - Top - End - #29

Once the spy ousts themselves, the witches will vote to sacrifice them and make their next kill unblockable. The witches don't lose a valued member, get a free unblockable kill and the werewolf can no longer be killed.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

That reminds me: @Aventine, can the werewolf be nightkilled by the witches?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think we do actually need to talk about mechanics this game, reluctant though I normally am to support that. I’ll see if I can find a few things.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature