New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Lucifer, new season.

So far, I didn't start watching it yet, gathering my courage before I can do that.

All I did is watch the trailer and that was enough.
    Really? Are you going for the "twin brother" thing?

It hasn't been about fans of the comic since the first season, anyone who still makes this comparison is probably digging a grave just so they can roll inside.
    But even as a "cop plus one" show, a twin brother plot line is an indication you ran out of ideas.
    It's kind of in there along with time travel, Christmas episodes and aliens.

Anyone actually saw at least a couple of episodes and can tell me approximately how much alcohol I'll need?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Lucifer, new season.

It was never intended to be about fans of the comic, or even for fans of the comic. It was meant to be a TV show that could generate enough viewers that it would make financial sense to keep making it, and even if everyone who ever bought a Sandman comic watched the show, that wouldn't be enough.
    If you don't like it, fine, but why would you continue to watch?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly? I'm not sure myself, maybe just habit?
    As a concept for a "cop plus one" it was fine as long as you don't connect it to the source, and they DID like to connect things to the source material especially in the first season.
    Not in any significant way, but just enough uses of names and objects to constantly annoy.

Anyway, I was kind of over it in the last season, and I really thought they ended it until I saw it on Netflix.

Not sure if I'll watch it or not.
    Like I said, I got over it not being the comic long ago, but I at least want it to be decent as a "way to pass the time while playing on my cellphone" show.
    Given the trailer, I wonder if it will manage to do even that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Got two episodes in so far.

I felt like season 4 was an improvement over 3, they got the overarching plot moving again. So I'll be watching season 5.

Now here be mild spoilers:

Episode 1 worked pretty well for me. Number 2 is not my favorite ever, but it does end on the promise that the other episodes will be more like what we're used to.

If you don't feel like watching it, don't. The show was always a bit of a mediocre detective with some humor and style thrown in, and maybe some half decent religious research. I liked that about the other seasons though, and I feel like that's probably going to be what most of this season is like.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

And it's soooo Melodramatic at times. I love the cheese.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, nice, episode 3 and 4 are two of the weird "special episodes" they were announcing for this season. And they're pretty good.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    It hasn't been about fans of the comic since the first season, anyone who still makes this comparison is probably digging a grave just so they can roll inside.
    OTOH, S3E7 is about the most Gaiman-esque thing I've ever seen on TV.
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    OTOH, S3E7 is about the most Gaiman-esque thing I've ever seen on TV.
    That was a truly great one

9. - Top - End - #9
    Spamalot in the Playground

We are huge fans of the show. Not usually big on cop procedurals, and this one could easily have just been a gimmick ("One's an actress-turned-detective struggling to prove herself in a man's world! The other is the Lord of Hell! They fight crime!") but the show (a) does a very good job fleshing out its mortal cast - particularly Chloe, Linda, and Ella - and (b) the show's mythology goes into all sorts of fascinating places too, what with the varying motivations of the outsiders as well as the Blue and Orange Morality they exercise.

As this is the last season (first half of it anyway), I expect some pretty hefty revelations about the metaphysical side of their world by the end of it, and the true nature of Lucifer's tenure as lord of Hell. This show has one one of the more interesting depictions of the afterlife I've seen since The Good Place.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    As this is the last season (first half of it anyway),
    The latest state of season 6 was that it was happening, right?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    The latest state of season 6 was that it was happening, right?
    My bad, I thought for sure S5 part 2 would be the end, but it does seem there will be a S6.

EDIT: Apparently Netflix originally announced that S5 would be the last one (which is where i got it from) but then changed their minds and added one more season.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-08-28 at 11:19 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    My bad, I thought for sure S5 part 2 would be the end, but it does seem there will be a S6.

EDIT: Apparently Netflix originally announced that S5 would be the last one (which is where i got it from) but then changed their minds and added one more season.
    Yes, clearly they recognized that the artistic vision required a little more time to see through to its full potential.

Spoiler: Or maybe not
    Show

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Yes, clearly they recognized that the artistic vision required a little more time to see through to its full potential.

Spoiler: Or maybe not
    Show
    After the debacle that was GoT season 8, I have no problem with shows taking more time on the ending.

But back to Lucifer - I have to give Tom Ellis props for being able to swap accents so flawlessly so he could portray both himself and Michael. He's just showing off now.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

I loved the show but i think it's getting worse and worse by every episode lol. This is quite common to me i think... what else