New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Mulan Coming to Disney+

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    There was into the spiderverse comics? never knew that.
    Yeah all the Spidey Characters of Into the Spider-Verse are from real life comics. This is assuming the marvel wiki is up to date for the number of appearances.

• Spider-Gwen is from Earth 65 (roughly 124 comics)
    • Spider-Man Noir is from Earth 90214 (roughly 42 comics)
    • Peni Parker is from Earth 1452 (rough 17 comics)
    • Peter Porker (Spider-Ham) is from Earth 8311 (roughly 124 comics)
    • The Cameo of Miguel O'Hara (Spider-Man 2099) is from Earth 928, also there was a cameo for the 1967 Cartoon.

Spider-Gwen is one of the breakout stars of the 10s, with her only being created in 2014 and she is already popular to get her own book and sustain that book, as well as being part of crossovers and events. Only other characters that are "breakout from the 2010s" (in my opinion) more successful are Miles Morales (roughly 391 comics, created 2011) and Kamala Khan (aka the Ms. Marvel character who was a fangirl of Carols but she has the Mr. Fantastic / Ant-Man + Giantman / Mystique power set.) Khan the new Ms. Marvel was introduced in 2013 and has roughly 319 comics.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #92
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The various Spiders have never met in a comic book though, only in the animated film? I think that was the point of confusion.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The biggest thing I'm getting it out of this Mulan thread is that there's going to be a Spiderverse 2.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The various Spiders have never met in a comic book though, only in the animated film? I think that was the point of confusion.
    There was a Spider-verse event in the comics with a bunch of alternate universe Spider-people; I’m pretty sure Miles was in it but I’m not sure about the rest. IIRC some bad guy (Morlun?) was hopping through dimensions eating them, so they had to team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    The biggest thing I'm getting it out of this Mulan thread is that there's going to be a Spiderverse 2.
    Not sure if that says more about Mulan or Spider-man.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    • "Spider-Verse" is a 2014 comic book storyline published by Marvel Comics.[1] It features multiple alternative versions of Spider-Man that had appeared in various media, all under attack by Morlun and his family, the Inheritors. This event is different in story to the movie, but it could be seen as a spiritual predecessor of the 2018 movie.
    • They started working on an Animated Spiderman idea at least since 2014 with the Sony Leaks of that year. That said they did not announce they were working on an animated Spider-Man movie till 2015. It was decided to make Miles Morales the focus of the movie since there was already 5 other 5 spider-man movies as of 2014. That said it is not obvious when they were going to incorporate the Spider-Verse idea into this animated movie, was it part of the 2014 drafts or did it come later in 2015, 16, etc?
    • A similar story to the Spider-Verse occured with the last two episodes of the 1994 Spider-Man tv show. Spider-Wars (1998 airing) was a two parter which sorta adapted the 90s Spider-Man Clone Saga, but many of the Spider-Man come from alternate universes and were pulled to this one by Madame Web, a beyonder like character in the Animated TV show.

Spoiler: More trivia, backstory, put in a spoiler block for I feel like I am sharing too much lore in a Mulan / Disney+ thread.
    Show

Spider-Gwen was introduced in that 2014 comic event "Spider-Verse," that said Marvel always intended to spin off Spider-Gwen and they had her have her own comic book released less than 2 months after the end of Spider-Verse (it ended Feb 2015, own comic book April 2015.)

All the other characters though of the Into the Spider-Verse movie came out prior to the Spider-Verse comic event, prior to 2014 to my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    There was a Spider-verse event in the comics with a bunch of alternate universe Spider-people; I’m pretty sure Miles was in it but I’m not sure about the rest. IIRC some bad guy (Morlun?) was hopping through dimensions eating them, so they had to team up.

Not sure if that says more about Mulan or Spider-man.
    🕷️ Let's get down to business, to defeat the [Hun - S] Mor-lun 🕷️
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-08-08 at 01:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly my point expressed through my emotional reaction: Mulan is just a disney remake with rehashed debates. wake me when Disney stops aping HBO's aesthetic.

Spiderverse 2 though? thats a form of relevance to my interests and I can breathe a sigh of relief that its happening. I'm arguably keeping priorities straight here.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Psyren
    That seems an odd hill to die on.
    Originally Posted by Xyril
    This phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Pysren seems to like that phrase, but its use here simply makes no sense.

Originally Posted by Psyren
    Miles Morales was set up to be a Peter Parker replacement….
    Originally Posted by Xyril
    You're going to need to cite a source on that assertion. In the comic universe, Miles was never a Peter Parker replacement.
    And he’s not a replacement in the movie version either, only a new hero taking ad hoc lessons from an older hero temporarily trapped in his universe. I loved the Spiderverse movie, but it has zero comparative value to speculations about Black Widow.

Originally Posted by Peelee
    Yeah, this is kind of my one happy takeaway so far.

I wasn’t expecting it when I started this thread, but I’ll take it.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-08-08 at 02:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    🕷️ Let's get down to business, to defeat the [Hun - S] Mor-lun 🕷️
    Be Spider-man!
    We must be swifter than Goblin’s glider!
    With greater force than the Kingpin’s goons!

Now see, part of the reason I don’t want to see Mulan is because I know they’re going to butcher that song at best, if not flat out omit it.

Speaking of, is this true they got rid of Mushu in the live action? I knew about Shang but not that. I hadn’t been planning to see it anyway so I guess this doesn’t change anything for me but still... I could kind of see it if they were going for gritty and realistic but the trailer has a lady who turns into a hawk and guys running up walls...which brings me back to Spider-man.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Spamalot in the Playground

Now see, part of the reason I don’t want to see Mulan is because I know they’re going to butcher that song at best, if not flat out omit it.
    Omit, I believe. It's not a musical; there will be some recognizable motifs (like the trailer's use of both Reflection and Honor To Us All) but they'll be more subtle than everyone bursting into song apropos of nothing.

Speaking of, is this true they got rid of Mushu in the live action? I knew about Shang but not that. I hadn’t been planning to see it anyway so I guess this doesn’t change anything for me but still... I could kind of see it if they were going for gritty and realistic but the trailer has a lady who turns into a hawk and guys running up walls...which brings me back to Spider-man.
    Weird Eddie Murphy sidekick (and painfully-white-replacement-pretending-to-be-Eddie-Murphy in the awful sequel) was an understandable crust to trim I'd say.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Be Spider-man!
    We must be swifter than Goblin’s glider!
    With greater force than the Kingpin’s goons!

They got rid of the lyrics to the Mulan training song, it will be an instrumental montage while things happen.

Yes they got rid of Mushu yet there is a phoenix character. It is not clear if the phoenix is just a metaphor or if its some disney pet on screen. They got rid of Mushu precisely because Mushu is a subversion of the Great Dragon and Chinese people two decades ago felt this subversion was offensive "on the face of it" while Americans may have loved the idea.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    They got rid of Mushu precisely because Mushu is a subversion of the Great Dragon and Chinese people two decades ago felt this subversion was offensive "on the face of it" while Americans may have loved the idea.
    I enjoyed the original Mulan until the exact moment when the Eddie Murphy dragon showed up. The character was so ridiculous and counter to the movie's tone that he ruined every scene he was in.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes! This! I knew there had to be a reason I was reading a thread about about something I'll never watch in a theater or sign up to some online/cable/whatever service and/or pay to watch.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    Yes! This! I knew there had to be a reason I was reading a thread about about something I'll never watch in a theater or sign up to some online/cable/whatever service and/or pay to watch.
    Okay you're like the third person for whom this is news, I'm opening a new thread for it.

EDIT:
    Someone went and contacted Disney’s customer service re: PVOD. Results don’t look promising, but not surprising either.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-08-16 at 07:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

So, it’s post-Sept. 4 and Mulan is available for Premier Access for $29.99.

And it’ll be available to all Disney+ subscribers, completely free of additional charge, in three months’ time, on Dec. 4. So anyone who purchases the Premier Access now is essentially paying $10 a month for three months’ early access to a movie that everyone will be able to see after that.

I don’t know if the Dec. 4 date was known before now, but it’s news to me, and I’m guessing Disney didn’t advertise that too widely in hopes of getting advance Premier Access subscriptions.

If Premier Access unlocked a small group of premium movies, that would be annoying, but at least you’d be purchasing three months’ early access to, you know, more than a single movie. But from what I can tell, you have to pay a Premier Access fee for each new movie they roll out under this model.

I could be wrong, and of course everything is changing constantly. But knowing it’ll be available to me on Dec. 4, without having to pay one extra penny, certainly removes the slightest temptation to even think about Premier Access again.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-09-05 at 09:20 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I don’t know if the Dec. 4 date was known before now, but it’s news to me, and I’m guessing Disney didn’t advertise that too widely in hopes of getting advance Premier Access subscriptions.
    I was watching the PVOD news like a hawk for the last week or so beforehand, and there were a tiny handful of reports prior to the release date but nothing solid - I gather someone at Disney oopsed the website and posted it beforehand, but took it down quickly.

Re: the movie itself, the reviews that I've seen (full disclosure: mostly critics - the RT number for users was ~15% points lower as of this writing) mostly range from 'middling' to 'watchable' - but one of the big criticisms is that it's a soulless, heartless construct despite good visuals, which was my complaint with Lion King, and the reason I didn't want to see this one, so feeling vindicated right now.

I think we're going to have to wait until at least after the weekend to have any idea if it's doing well or badly enough financially to affect the fate of Black Widow.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we're going to have to wait until at least after the weekend to have any idea if it's doing well or badly enough financially to affect the fate of Black Widow.
    Remember that Black Widow and I think the Eternals are done with filming (currently in Post Production), while other Marvel Movies will need shoots that you can't do in this pandemic currently.

• Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings currently Filming, in Australia. Australia is now escalating its COVID restrictions for there is a surge of cases.
    • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness in Pre Production
    • Untitled Spider-Man, Far from Home Sequel is in Development
    • Thor: Love and Thunder in Development
    • Captain Marvel 2 in Development
    • Blade in Development
    • Ant Man 3 announced
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 announced
    • Black Panther 2 [Who Knows Right Now for the last 7 days changed everything]

So of the 9 planned Marvel Movies they are on hold right now, why not delay Black Widow and Eternals and have them be the teaser prior to the 9 other movies. All those other movies are going to take 1 to 3 years to make depending on where they are in the development schedule so having 1 marvel movie a year or 2 movies a year may make far more financial success than releasing on Disney Plus as a movie you rent for $30 or something.

And it is not just the success of the individual movie from a financial standpoint that is important. Part of the MCU's success is the "contagion effect" (wrong choice of words for this time and place but I can't think of better words) where one movie hypes you into wanting to watch the other movie 6 months from now and so on. Will this effect work if the Marvel Movies are separated by 12 months, 24 months, 36 months? Having 2 of them waiting to be released 6 months apart will allow Disney to restart this effect once

Mulan Live Action Remake is different. It is stand alone, and it is not selling you on the idea of the cinematic universe instead it is selling you on the idea Disney produces consistent products mixed in with very good products as well. (Very rarely having any duds, consistent meh is better than true disappointments from a financial standpoint.)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    I was watching the PVOD news like a hawk for the last week or so beforehand, and there were a tiny handful of reports prior to the release date but nothing solid - I gather someone at Disney oopsed the website and posted it beforehand, but took it down quickly.
    Sounds like this was kept under wraps, then—as much as possible, anyway.

I can’t see how this model could be self-sustaining, since anyone who ponied up the $29.99 might be feeling buyer’s remorse on learning they could’ve waited a little longer to watch it on the regular service. And it’s hard to imagine that too many people would pay that much for Black Widow or anything else now.

Originally Posted by Ramza00
    Will this effect work if the Marvel Movies are separated by 12 months, 24 months, 36 months?
    Good question, especially since (at first glance) there isn’t likely to be that much tying together this next batch of movies. With earlier MCU movies there was at least the tenuous thread of the Infinity MacGuffins to hint at a broader storyline. In the list that you posted, I can imagine that Thor and GotG will be closely linked (i.e. Asgardians of the Galaxy), but most of the others seem too disparate to have any obvious connection, so less of a cross-pollination effect in terms of generating interest.

Also, I have to wonder how much superhero fatigue is beginning to develop. Of the nine projects you’ve listed, I’m really only interested in Spider-Man and Dr. Strange—at least interested enough to see them in the theater. I’ll watch a couple others whenever they’re available for VOD, but other than that I’m pretty much over the franchise.

I suspect I’m not alone in that, so this may be another hurdle Disney has to clear, in addition to everything else. I would pay real money for an Iron Pepper movie, maybe in a team-up with Wasp and Ghost, but other than that the superhero game just has much less appeal these days.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-09-05 at 04:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Good question, especially since (at first glance) there isn’t likely to be that much tying together this next batch of movies. With earlier MCU movies there was at least the tenuous thread of the Infinity MacGuffins to hint at a broader storyline. In the list that you posted, I can imagine that Thor and GotG will be closely linked (i.e. Asgardians of the Galaxy), but most of the others seem too disparate to have any obvious connection, so less of a cross-pollination effect in terms of generating interest.

Also, I have to wonder how much superhero fatigue is beginning to develop. Of the nine projects you’ve listed, I’m really only interested in Spider-Man and Dr. Strange—at least interested enough to see them in the theater. I’ll watch a couple others whenever they’re available for VOD, but other than that I’m pretty much over the franchise.

I suspect I’m not alone in that, so this may be another hurdle Disney has to clear, in addition to everything else. I would pay real money for an Iron Pepper movie, maybe in a team-up with Wasp and Ghost, but other than that the superhero game just has much less appeal these days.

So the first 12 movies of the MCU were Iron Man 1 to Avengers 2+Ant Man and is often called Phase 1 plus Phase 2.

Only Thor 2 Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy 1, and Avengers 2 mentioned the Infinity Stones and likewise in Thor 2 and Avengers 2 they are merely "MacGuffins" and were boring with the MacGuffin part. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 did established there were plot important and there were cameos of Thanos in Avengers 1 and Avengers 2.

-----

Why did I bring that stuff up? I do not think the Infinity Stones really convinced most people that these movies were connected. Instead it was the social contract that there were going to be a larger story even if each individual movie barely advanced the story 2013 to 2018.

Likewise Phase 3 was a total of 11 movies.
    6 Movies prior to Thanos in Avengers: Infinity War.
    1 Infinity War
    2 Movies before Endgame there were Prequels / Meanwhile
    1 Endgame
    And then the 2nd Spider-Movie Far From Home which was an epilogue for the death of Tony Stark.

Of those 6 movies before Infinity War only Doctor Strange had another Infinity Stone, and there was the wink and the nod of Thor Ragnarok that those earlier easter eggs were just teasers and even the writers / Feige / etc are making up the story as it goes from 2008 to 2017. (Ragnarok is the 17th movie at the time Hela pretty much admitted they messed up, but hey the ride was fun so just enjoy this Bathos anti-climax with a joke and a smile for the journey was worth it.)

-----

Sorry I am being wordy with all these numbers and lists, my point here is I think what unites the MCU movies is not "macguffins" like the infinity stones. It is trust with the viewers where there is an unspoken contract between the studio and the viewers of the movie.

The contract is I am going to give you TV but better on the Movie Theater. You pay the $9.50 movie ticket price (median ticket price of 2019) aka $20 a year and I give you a tv worldbuilding adventure story with all its lore and just silly fun, but we will do it with much higher movie production values where each individual movie costs $150 to $300 million to make aka 5 to 10 times the cost of many old tv shows before the prestige tv era made everyone budget go higher.

And the commitment time wise is lower we are talking only 4 hours of movie a year which is a lot less than 10, 13, 26 hours of television. And the fact you have to go outside the house to do it, often with friends, creates a form of social bonding that some tv viewers do not have. Yes lots of tv viewers talk about tv on the internet but I am willing to bet that is only a significant minority.

-----

I am tired of Superhero movies as well. The stuff I like is the space stuff such as Guardians or Ragnarok. (Also Black Panther.) I just stop caring about movies involving human locations like you need to save DC, or New York, or Sokovia. The stakes just feel off. I have my problems and simultaneously adoration of Nolan's Batman movies, and the reason why the stakes of The Dark Knight (the 2nd one) feel right with The Joker is that the city itself was not at threat, or a country, or the world. Nope the stakes was 300 people and terrorism. The social contract between viewer and storyteller felt right for you could believe a boat full of 300 people may die, but is New York ever in danger? Bigger stakes does not make more interesting stories, we are watching these adventure movies for the character moments not for the fate of the world or the universe. Endgame got this with its wink and the nod meta references where we cry when depressed Thor finds out "I am still worthy" even though he has depression and he gets to say goodbye to his mom.

-----

Back to the movie at hand. Mulan is special for she will bring honor to us all.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    I am tired of Superhero movies as well.
    I'm not, but I like other movie types too, and I gathered from the reviews that they turned Mulan into a super hero movie. Animated!Mulan did not need super powers to save the day, her being an ordinary person who stepped up was kind of the point. Disney you already have a whole line of superheros which is wildly successful, do something different!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not, but I like other movie types too, and I gathered from the reviews that they turned Mulan into a super hero movie. Animated!Mulan did not need super powers to save the day, her being an ordinary person who stepped up was kind of the point. Disney you already have a whole line of superheros which is wildly successful, do something different!
    To hear MovieBob tell, it feels like they borrowed an unmade script from Star Wars, and just replaced "the force" with "qi".

But an even more damning account came from some random twitter comment (I think): that it feels like the writers just couldn't believe a "mere woman" could possibly be a soldier, and thus had to give her a leg up so she'd be better than a man, otherwise she couldn't measure up to or face the challenge. Which is so stupid in so many ways.

That said, please be aware that, as I said, I am not about to pay to watch this, regardless, so all I have is hearsay. About the only thing I have direct experience of is a couple of moments from trailer/spoiler, and I continue to be unimpressed by wuxia-style fighting. The weightlessness just snaps my suspension of disbelief. Which is weird, because I enjoyed the hell out of Ranma 1/2, and those guys where practically Helium elementals. But I suspect I'm more forgiving of cartoons blatantly ignoring weight when jumping around.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    To hear MovieBob tell, it feels like they borrowed an unmade script from Star Wars, and just replaced "the force" with "qi".

But an even more damning account came from some random twitter comment (I think): that it feels like the writers just couldn't believe a "mere woman" could possibly be a soldier, and thus had to give her a leg up so she'd be better than a man, otherwise she couldn't measure up to or face the challenge. Which is so stupid in so many ways.
    I did watch it (got together with family to watch and we split the cost) - and both of those ideas are totally off.

It wasn't a superhero movie at all. Now - there were some qi based superpowers - but a lot of Chinese movies have that wire-fu vibe. That's like claiming that Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was a superhero movie.

And I have no idea what MovieBob was smoking to think that it was like a Star Wars movie. Is there some commonality between qi and The Force? Of course - because Star Wars blatantly borrowed the idea when inventing The Force in the first place. Otherwise - not at all.

And there was a bit of the man/woman thing - but it was put in a negative light when the men initially had disdain for women with destructive qi - and there's a sub-plot with one of the two villains who was an exiled witch and connects with Mulan. I thought that they did a decent job of it without hitting the audience over the head with it.

Now - was it an amazing movie? No - but it was pretty good. And it was in no way a superhero movie or a Star Wars movie. Anyone who claims it was has an axe to grind and/or has never seen any fantasy wire-fu before. Which is basically what it was.

Mulan was a fantasy wire-fu movie (without going too over-the-top) with Disney level production quality & special effects. If that's your thing - you'll like it. If it's not - you probably won't.

I will say; unlike most of the live-action (or CG) remakes, there's a good reason for it to exist. Many of them have followed the animated movies almost beat for beat, with a few extra musical numbers. This movie was substantially different - with no musical numbers, though they did have orchestral versions of some of the animated movie's songs going in the background at times. No stupid little dragon or most of the goofier bit. Certain moments have subtle references to the animated version, but nothing major.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2020-09-06 at 12:20 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    I did watch it (got together with family to watch and we split the cost) - and both of those ideas are totally off.
    So it's totally off, but then you agree it's effectively it is "the force"? Then it is not totally off, it is exactly the point.

See, the problem with this is that Mulan - and every other story in the genre of "girl has to dress up as boy to go fight a war for reasons" does not, and does not need to, depend on giving the girl powers the rest of the cast does not have for them to be protagonists. That this film feels the need to do so, under whatever fig leaf of justification they care to spout, is a problem, and nothing you have said changes the reality that, yes, it seems the writers could not imagine under what circumstances "a girl" could make an impact without giving her magic.

And the moment the protagonist is the protagonist because it has magic no-one else does (outside of the antagonist), then it's a superhero story - or, in the classic sense, a hero story, in the mold of Heracles/Perseus/Achilles, through to the modern superhero genre. Which is great fun, but it is a type of story that Mulan doesn't belong to, and by forcing it into that genre, you effectively discard both the original genre, and any of its modern reimagining. Thus, at best, it is a lost opportunity (Kareeah_Indaga's "Disney already has plenty of superhero movies, there was no need to make this film another") and at worst paternalistic.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-09-06 at 05:04 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just watched the pitch meeting for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_USHuhOqyk (series of comedy clips about someone pitching a movie to a producer) seems the superhero comparison is common.

So they made her superpowered? Hmm that does change the thing pretty much completely. And reactions seems rather mixed. I think I will pass.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

If wire-fu wuxia Mulan doesn't appeal, there's always the 2009 film. This probably isn't the most common perspective, but I have the luxury of enough different Mulan takes and little enough cultural investment that I don't need Disney to get it 'right' - if their take is well-done on its own terms (no assurances there), then that's fine by me.

Not $30 fine, of course. Maybe if I have a different reason to get on Disney+ later, I'll check it out properly.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    If wire-fu wuxia Mulan doesn't appeal, there's always the 2009 film. This probably isn't the most common perspective, but I have the luxury of enough different Mulan takes and little enough cultural investment that I don't need Disney to get it 'right' - if their take is well-done on its own terms (no assurances there), then that's fine by me.
    See, I do come from a culture that has a few takes on the issue (in fact, there are hundreds of reliable historical accounts of the exact thing happening in real life all over the place - heck, I'd be surprised if your country didn't have a few, whatever your country is), so I'd like the story told properly, or alternatively told with an interesting twist of looking at the topic through modern sensibilities (I didn't expect Disney to get it "right" by my cultural standards, or even by the Chinese ones, but at least make the attempt would be valuable). What I didn't expect or particularly want is another superhero movie masquerading as a Sweet Polly Oliver story. Thankfully, I do enjoy Monstrous Regiment, so I can go read that. I'd still like a new take on the topic, though. But this, it seems, is not it.

That wire-fu wuxia also breaks my suspension of disbelief, to be clear, is unconnected to the above. That's just something that throws me off a film. Last time I watched was Hero, and I just couldn't get invested in the fight scenes (a bit of a problem in a film that is nothing but fight scenes colour-coded for your convenience).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-09-06 at 09:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Even if Disney remakes weren't lazy copy-pastes of much superior films... Everything I learn about the production of this movie and the people involved in it gives me yet another reason to not give Disney my money.
    Homebrew Stuff:

27. - Top - End - #117
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Just watched the pitch meeting for it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_USHuhOqyk (series of comedy clips about someone pitching a movie to a producer) seems the superhero comparison is common.

So they made her superpowered? Hmm that does change the thing pretty much completely. And reactions seems rather mixed. I think I will pass.
    That was a lot more brutal than their usual fare.

It seems Disney were banking on the Chinese market to cover the costs of this but it is getting poorly reviewed over there as well.

Disney are also coping heat for stuff in the credits.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Spamalot in the Playground

Saw it - while it definitely has flaws (they literally had Bori Khan and Xian Lang explain their backstories at each other - show don't tell, come on!) and I missed the music, I overall thought it was fine. I especially loved the change they made to the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    See, the problem with this is that Mulan - and every other story in the genre of "girl has to dress up as boy to go fight a war for reasons" does not, and does not need to, depend on giving the girl powers the rest of the cast does not have for them to be protagonists.
    Except there are male chi users in the cast too - Bori Khan's Improbable Archery, the Emperor, and of course Mulan's father. Her talent allowed her to match them, not merely to make her a superhero among muggles.

The other soldiers (rank-and-file) aren't as good as she is, but that's nothing new.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-09-08 at 10:44 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Disney are also coping heat for stuff in the credits.
    Out of curiosity, what stuff in the credits?

EDIT: Never mind, I just Googled it and looks forum-inappropriate.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2020-09-08 at 10:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Out of curiosity, what stuff in the credits?
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I believe this question would be better left unanswered on here.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2