New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Dora And The Lost City Of Gold (2019)

Hey everyone. Today I'm going to discuss a movie review on the 2019 family/adventure movie called Dora And The Lost City Of Gold.

Spoiler: My Review On Dora And The Lost City Of Gold (2019)
    Show
    First off this movie is based on Nick Jr. TV Show called Dora The Explorer. I never watch Dora The Explorer when I was a kid because I wasn't interested. So anyway Dora And The Lost City Of Gold is about Dora going to high school and her about to have an adventure with her cousin Diego and two other teenagers to rescued Dora's parents and discovered the lost Incan Civilization. They met one of Dora father friend to accompanied to rescued her parents. But it turns out that he happens to be one of the bad guys joining the mercenaries in order to find the lost Incan civilization for himself. So Dora and her friends rescued her parents to find the lost Incan civilization and life went back to normal. What I like about this movie that Dora is a teenager who fully developed with her character. I even like the part during the animation just like in the TV show because they were tripping out plus the friend fathers freaked out and removed all his clothes and run away. What I don't like about the movie was kind of cheesy and to the family for my movie viewing taste. The dance was good and the song we're catchy. The acting and directing was good. So overall I'll give Dora And The Lost City Of Gold a 6 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dora And The Lost City Of Gold (2019)

Would you like some feedback on your review to help you in your future reviews?

As-is, as somebody who hasn't actually seen this movie, there's not enough in this review to tell me whether or not I should watch this movie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Would you like some feedback on your review to help you in your future reviews?

As-is, as somebody who hasn't actually seen this movie, there's not enough in this review to tell me whether or not I should watch this movie.
    Sure. I love to get some feedback.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone. Today I'm going to discuss a movie review on the 2019 family/adventure movie called Dora And The Lost City Of Gold.

Spoiler: My Review On Dora And The Lost City Of Gold (2019)
    Show
    First off this movie is based on Nick Jr. TV Show called Dora The Explorer. I never watch Dora The Explorer when I was a kid because I wasn't interested. So anyway Dora And The Lost City Of Gold is about Dora going to high school and her about to have an adventure with her cousin Diego and two other teenagers to rescued Dora's parents and discovered the lost Incan Civilization. They met one of Dora father friend to accompanied to rescued her parents. But it turns out that he happens to be one of the bad guys joining the mercenaries in order to find the lost Incan civilization for himself. So Dora and her friends rescued her parents to find the lost Incan civilization and life went back to normal. What I like about this movie that Dora is a teenager who fully developed with her character. I even like the part during the animation just like in the TV show because they were tripping out plus the friend fathers freaked out and removed all his clothes and run away. What I don't like about the movie was kind of cheesy and to the family for my movie viewing taste. The dance was good and the song we're catchy. The acting and directing was good. So overall I'll give Dora And The Lost City Of Gold a 6 out of 10 stars.
    Alright, first, I'm going to rewrite things so that they correspond a bit more to regular grammar. If anything in my rewrite is incorrect, feel free to let me know.

Spoiler: Rewrite attempt
    Show
    First off, this movie is based on a Nick Jr. TV show called Dora The Explorer. I never watched Dora the Explorer when I was a kid because I wasn't interested. So anyway, Dora and the Lost City of Gold is about Dora going to High School. She is about to have an adventure with her cousin Diego and two other teenagers to rescue Dora's parents and discover the lost Incan civilization. They met a friend of Dora's father to accompany them and rescue her parents. It turns out that he happens to be one of the bad guys, joining the mercenaries in order to find the lost Incan civilization for himself.

So Dora and her friends rescue her parents, they find the lost Incan civilization, and life goes back to normal. What I liked about this movie is that Dora is a fully developed character as a teenager. I even liked the part where it was animated just like in the TV show because they were tripping out, plus the traitor father removed all his clothes and ran away. What I did not like about this movie was that it was kind of cheesy, and too family-oriented for my tastes. The dance was good and the songs were catchy. The acting and directing was good as well. So overall I'll give Dora and the Lost City of Gold 6 out of 10 stars.

This is entirely just to try and help with your grammar, since Grammarly isn't doing what you want it to.

So, first off you mention that you've never seen Dora the Explorer because you weren't interested. So, what interested you in the movie? Why did you watch it at all if you don't care about the source material?

For most of the rest, I'm putting it in a spoiler because it has spoilers.
    Spoiler: Spoilered for having spoilers.
    Show
    Your summary is all over the place. We start at the plot being about Dora in high school. Then suddenly she's going out on an adventure to rescue her parents with two other teenagers? Why were her parents kidnapped? Why do the other two teenagers join them?

The next part sort of works. You tell us that one of her dad's friends turns out to be a badguy, and he's going to betray them all to get the lost civilization for himself. You should mention his motivation though. Why does he want the lost civilization? I would presume because it's made of gold, but don't know from your summary.

Then on the next part of your summary, you jump again. You go straight from the badguy betraying everybody to Dora's parents being rescued, the civilization being found, and everything being back to normal. You've cut a movie that's almost an hour and 45 minutes long down into four sentences that don't really explain the plot.

Then we get into what you liked about the movie. You liked that Dora was a fully developed character. You liked the weird animated sequence, the songs, the dances, the acting, and the directing. Then we get to what you disliked. The movie was cheesy, and too family-oriented for your tastes.

Okay, so the problem here is you don't elaborate on things enough. You say that Dora was a fully developed character. Was nobody else a fully developed character? Was that something you disliked? What parts of the acting and direction did you like specifically? You just bring them up and then drop them, same with the songs and dances. What part of those things did you like?

Next we get into your dislikes. You say that you dislike the movie because it was cheesy. How was it cheesy? Were there specific parts that didn't come off well, something about some characters acting, some characters being badly developed? What specifically was cheesy about it?

Your next complaint is honestly kind of a strange one. Were you expecting it to not be family-oriented? It's a family movie after all, based on a cartoon for children that are in the age range of 2-5. What made it too family-oriented? Was there not enough action? Not enough people dying? Not enough naughty words?

The last thing I will mention is your rating. For your next couple of reviews, I would suggest posting what every single point on the meter means. So, just as an example.

I'm going to steal the rating system JelloApocalypse uses as an example.

1: A garbage movie that no one should ever see. There is nothing of value to be gained by watching it.
    2: Slightly less terrible. Maybe there were some redeeming jokes, or the one character you like that kept it from being a 1, but it's still very painful.
    3: This is when the movie is no longer actively painful to watch, but you're watching the video bar over and over again to see how much time you have left.
    4: Mediocre. Kind of bad, and you didn't really enjoy yourself.
    5: An average movie. You didn't hate it, you didn't love it, and you kind of feel like you could have done something better with your time.
    6: The first good score. It's a movie you enjoyed, and it didn't actively waste your time, but you would not see it again.
    7: A movie you enjoyed and would watch again, even though that rewatch is probably far off in the future. The first rating on the chart where he would recommend other people watch it.
    8: A solid, entertaining movie. Really enjoyable, maybe even legitimately great.
    9: An awesome movie. The kind of movie that really makes you want a sequel, and that you would recommend to anyone.
    10: An entertaining movie that does something so noteworthy that everyone who enjoys that type of movie should see that.

You should come up with something like this for yourself. You can even base it off this, just don't steal it wholesale because that's bad.

I would also recommend responding to every point I have made for the sake of creating a proper discourse, but that's ultimately up to you.

Also, if you would like, I would be willing to watch any movie you suggest as long as it isn't too gross, or too violent, and write a review myself for an example of a more in-depth review.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2020-08-04 at 11:09 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Alright, first, I'm going to rewrite things so that they correspond a bit more to regular grammar. If anything in my rewrite is incorrect, feel free to let me know.

Spoiler: Rewrite attempt
    Show
    First off, this movie is based on a Nick Jr. TV show called Dora The Explorer. I never watched Dora the Explorer when I was a kid because I wasn't interested. So anyway, Dora and the Lost City of Gold is about Dora going to High School. She is about to have an adventure with her cousin Diego and two other teenagers to rescue Dora's parents and discover the lost Incan civilization. They met a friend of Dora's father to accompany them and rescue her parents. It turns out that he happens to be one of the bad guys, joining the mercenaries in order to find the lost Incan civilization for himself.

So Dora and her friends rescue her parents, they find the lost Incan civilization, and life goes back to normal. What I liked about this movie is that Dora is a fully developed character as a teenager. I even liked the part where it was animated just like in the TV show because they were tripping out, plus the traitor father removed all his clothes and ran away. What I did not like about this movie was that it was kind of cheesy, and too family-oriented for my tastes. The dance was good and the songs were catchy. The acting and directing was good as well. So overall I'll give Dora and the Lost City of Gold 6 out of 10 stars.

This is entirely just to try and help with your grammar, since Grammarly isn't doing what you want it to.

So, first off you mention that you've never seen Dora the Explorer because you weren't interested. So, what interested you in the movie? Why did you watch it at all if you don't care about the source material?

For most of the rest, I'm putting it in a spoiler because it has spoilers.
    Spoiler: Spoilered for having spoilers.
    Show
    Your summary is all over the place. We start at the plot being about Dora in high school. Then suddenly she's going out on an adventure to rescue her parents with two other teenagers? Why were her parents kidnapped? Why do the other two teenagers join them?

The next part sort of works. You tell us that one of her dad's friends turns out to be a badguy, and he's going to betray them all to get the lost civilization for himself. You should mention his motivation though. Why does he want the lost civilization? I would presume because it's made of gold, but don't know from your summary.

Then on the next part of your summary, you jump again. You go straight from the badguy betraying everybody to Dora's parents being rescued, the civilization being found, and everything being back to normal. You've cut a movie that's almost an hour and 45 minutes long down into four sentences that don't really explain the plot.

Then we get into what you liked about the movie. You liked that Dora was a fully developed character. You liked the weird animated sequence, the songs, the dances, the acting, and the directing. Then we get to what you disliked. The movie was cheesy, and too family-oriented for your tastes.

Okay, so the problem here is you don't elaborate on things enough. You say that Dora was a fully developed character. Was nobody else a fully developed character? Was that something you disliked? What parts of the acting and direction did you like specifically? You just bring them up and then drop them, same with the songs and dances. What part of those things did you like?

Next we get into your dislikes. You say that you dislike the movie because it was cheesy. How was it cheesy? Were there specific parts that didn't come off well, something about some characters acting, some characters being badly developed? What specifically was cheesy about it?

Your next complaint is honestly kind of a strange one. Were you expecting it to not be family-oriented? It's a family movie after all, based on a cartoon for children that are in the age range of 2-5. What made it too family-oriented? Was there not enough action? Not enough people dying? Not enough naughty words?

The last thing I will mention is your rating. For your next couple of reviews, I would suggest posting what every single point on the meter means. So, just as an example.

I'm going to steal the rating system JelloApocalypse uses as an example.

1: A garbage movie that no one should ever see. There is nothing of value to be gained by watching it.
    2: Slightly less terrible. Maybe there were some redeeming jokes, or the one character you like that kept it from being a 1, but it's still very painful.
    3: This is when the movie is no longer actively painful to watch, but you're watching the video bar over and over again to see how much time you have left.
    4: Mediocre. Kind of bad, and you didn't really enjoy yourself.
    5: An average movie. You didn't hate it, you didn't love it, and you kind of feel like you could have done something better with your time.
    6: The first good score. It's a movie you enjoyed, and it didn't actively waste your time, but you would not see it again.
    7: A movie you enjoyed and would watch again, even though that rewatch is probably far off in the future. The first rating on the chart where he would recommend other people watch it.
    8: A solid, entertaining movie. Really enjoyable, maybe even legitimately great.
    9: An awesome movie. The kind of movie that really makes you want a sequel, and that you would recommend to anyone.
    10: An entertaining movie that does something so noteworthy that everyone who enjoys that type of movie should see that.

You should come up with something like this for yourself. You can even base it off this, just don't steal it wholesale because that's bad.

I would also recommend responding to every point I have made for the sake of creating a proper discourse, but that's ultimately up to you.

Also, if you would like, I would be willing to watch any movie you suggest as long as it isn't too gross, or too violent, and write a review myself for an example of a more in-depth review.
    Thank you for your input Mystic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I kinda feel bad for the OP- who is taking it much better than I would have.
    This has gotten very meta. It's now a review of a review of a review.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    I kinda feel bad for the OP- who is taking it much better than I would have.
    This has gotten very meta. It's now a review of a review of a review.
    He's been getting sdvice like this for a while, and I really am just trying to help.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

He's been getting advice like this for a while, and I really am just trying to help.
    And I'm taking your advice and everyone else.