New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default About the Planes of Existence...

So, I've been designing a new homebrew world, and as I began working on the planes and different planets within the crystal sphere, and based on my understanding, I realized something: the entire crystal sphere is the "Prime Material". So this left me with the question, where are the other planes? Are they essentially different dimensions connected to the Prime Material, or are they somethign else entirely? I haven't been able to find this while reading, but I may just be looking in the wrong places. So, if any of you have any insights in to this, please leave it a response below!
    If you're ever looking for homebrew for your games, look no further than The Owlbear's Den! Content is (usually) posted every Tuesday and Friday, with one collection published and one more on the way! And the best part? It's all free!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: About the Planes of Existence...

Yes, the other planes pretty much equate to alternate dimensions.

Not like one of those "everything is the same except for the Federation is evil and Spock has a goatee" alternate dimensions, but like a totally different world.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post

Not like one of those "everything is the same except for the Federation is evil and Spock has a goatee" alternate dimensions, but like a totally different world.
    Alright, thank you so much! I was confused mainly due to Eberron, but I also learned Eberron is unique. Again, thank you!
    If you're ever looking for homebrew for your games, look no further than The Owlbear's Den! Content is (usually) posted every Tuesday and Friday, with one collection published and one more on the way! And the best part? It's all free!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techcaliber View Post
    the entire crystal sphere is the "Prime Material".
    Just to be clear, the Prime Material is made of thousands of crystal spheres and the phlogiston-filled space between them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techcaliber View Post
    Alright, thank you so much! I was confused mainly due to Eberron, but I also learned Eberron is unique. Again, thank you!
    For the sake of understanding various D&D cosmologies and planar arrangements I feel the need to borrow from Dead Man’s Chest. ‘Unique here having the meaning broken’

But that’s intentional, Eberron works because it’s isolated in the way it is.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Just to be clear, the Prime Material is made of thousands of crystal spheres and the phlogiston-filled space between them.
    Yep. Space: The Final Frontier.

But if you're worried just about the planes for your local sphere then I'd say they pretty much overlap the prime in a sort of fourth-dimensional way. The Astral plane connects everything which means it touches everything at the same time while not containing any of them. Likewise, the Feywild and Shadow dimensions coexist with the prime while mimicking it as a copy. On top of that planar cosmology says clearly that so and so outer plane is to left of another plane while being above the inner planes while also being infinite.

Basically, all of this means it's impossible to visualize the planes. They only make sense in 4-D. Where is the plane of Fire? It could very well be inside that guy's stomach. Don't try too hard to understand where they are, they just exist to the left of reality.
    Trolls will be blocked. Petrification works far better than fire and acid.

7. - Top - End - #7

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Yeah, that's why I put it in quotes. In terms of planes connected to the sphere {and only paying attention to that sphere) I've created, the sphere is the Prime Material.
    Last edited by Techcaliber; 2020-08-06 at 05:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kyutaru View Post
    Yep. Space: The Final Frontier.

But if you're worried just about the planes for your local sphere then I'd say they pretty much overlap the prime in a sort of fourth-dimensional way. The Astral plane connects everything which means it touches everything at the same time while not containing any of them. Likewise, the Feywild and Shadow dimensions coexist with the prime while mimicking it as a copy. On top of that planar cosmology says clearly that so and so outer plane is to left of another plane while being above the inner planes while also being infinite.

Basically, all of this means it's impossible to visualize the planes. They only make sense in 4-D. Where is the plane of Fire? It could very well be inside that guy's stomach. Don't try too hard to understand where they are, they just exist to the left of reality.
    Eh, I just pictured parallel dimensions with natural and artifical connections.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As has been said, they are pretty much alternate dimensions. In the pre-4e default cosmology this was most clear with the Ethereal and Shadow planes, where the 'near' portions closely resembling the material plane.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Usually, the Planes of Existence is a fantasized version of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(esotericism), but we cannot discuss real esotericism because that goes too much into religion.

• Physical Plane: Material Planes
    • Ethereal Plane - links the astral entity to the material entity
    • Astral Plane - links the mental entity to the ethereal entity
    • Mental Plane - links the causal entity to the astral entity
    • Causal Plane - links the soul to the mental entity
    • Soul Plane - links the sprite to the causal entity
    • Spiritual Plane

At each levels, there could be multiple planes. The elemental planes are at the Physical Plane level.
    Last edited by HouseRules; 2020-08-07 at 01:17 AM.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post

Apart from the shadowfell. The shadowfell is exactly like that.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12

Kobold

I wanted to thank everyone for the responses, super helpful!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Note for Eberron:

All the planes there are still alternate dimensions. It's just that said alternate dimensions can have metaphysical proximity to locations on the material and thus create manifest zones. The metaphysical proximity is often tied to the plane's respective moon, but the plane and the moon are different entities—blowing up the moon of Dal Quor did not destroy Dal Quor.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show