Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [5e] Blood and Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    That's way too long to write for an entire game. Would we call him "SLS", "Sword", or "Shwing!"
    Well, it does say that kenku’s companions usually pick a name for them, and of course what I wrote isn’t *actually* his name, his name is the sound itself that is being described. I’d leave that open to the group as to what they called him.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    That's way too long to write for an entire game. Would we call him "SLS", "Sword", or "Shwing!"
    "Shing" seems appropriate.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

My character would call him Sound because she apparently needs more water wordplay in her life.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I’m not going to lean in *too* heavily on two of the kenku curses because I feel like they could hinder a game, but with speech I built into his backstory that he watched numerous plays (think watching Kurosawa films) and uses those to “speak.” Also, he will be much more of a “follower” than a “leader.” His philosophy will be rooted in hierarchy, so he’ll be looking for whoever is the leader of their group.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Here's the crunch for Barbara Ann, a Path of the Depths barbarian.

Spoiler: Short-form Background
    Show

A sailor from a young age, Ann was a lieutenant on the Essex, a whaling-ship, and was looking to become first-mate. Ann both lead the expeditions in the whaling-skiff, directing a small crew in a light skiff over stormy seas to pursue dangerous prey, and negotiated with merchants and rendering-houses, braving both the mercurial sea and the scheming tradesmen.

One winter day, the boat, along with the crew, was lost pursuing a beast too large on an ocean too rough. Grieving, Ann decided to take a leave of absence in the next port the ship docked at, to mourn and drink and gamble in the memory of those who had died. Ann agreed with the Captain to rejoin the Essex in one month, once Ann had quelled the grief and fear inside that inhibited the whaling.

Shortly thereafter, Ann killed a Neveren guard when the guard accused them of cheating in a game of cards-- and then the guards' buddies when they attacked the foe who had felled their friend. These deaths earned Ann an especially cramped place on a Neveren slave ship.

Ann cuts a bulky figure, with wide shoulders, leathery skin, and callused hands. Whaling is a dangerous occupation, and Ann shows the scars of one who has been on the sea since childhood.

The background and fluff, including personality, will be elaborated upon slash written down when I've time and inspiration.
    Last edited by MornShine; 2020-08-08 at 03:09 AM. Reason: typo and slight rephrasing of non-spoilers

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Zahnan had worked for the Luskan militia for 16 years before retiring and becoming a weaponsmith, making money providing weapons to pirates and the crews of ships who fought them. Unfortunately, when the Neverese attacked he had to flee the city and burn down his shop to keep the weapons from the Neverese. Eventually he was contacted by his brother who was part of the Luskan resistance and joined them until being caught during a failed ambush.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Placed Lander's backstory on the sheet. It is fairly short and more a broad strokes affair with hints at potential plot hooks.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Lander was orphaned long before he knew his birth parents. He grew up in an orphanage in the City of Sails.under the care of Sister Hannah. Growing up in such an environment, Lander quickly learned the difference between the haves and have-nots. A prime example being Father Humphrey who collected many donations for the orphanage and always seemed to have plenty of coin for himself while the orphanage was in disrepair and the children went hungry wearing rags. Realizing that if he wanted a full stomach he'd have to get it himself, Lander took to the streets to lie, steal, and cheat his way to some food money. It ended about as poorly as would be expected for an underfed boy. That's when Lander tried a ritual the local mad crone raved about which put Lander in contact with his Fiendish Patron and enough Eldritch power to make it on the streets.

Eventually, Lander found himself as a young man with a criminal reputation on the docks looking for a way out of the city for a time. He had made some good money over the years and repaid his debt to Sister Hannah with some of his ill gotten gains. Falling in with the roughest crew he could find that didn't care who you were if you could haul a rope or swab the deck, Lander took to the seas. It wasn't until after the Neverrans took the city that Lander returned. He found the Orphanage he grew up in in ruins and Sister Hannah nowhere to be found. Callous cur that he was, it still made Lander mad, and the drink he sought at the nearest tavern made him reckless. A poor combination when the new rulers are looking to send 'prisoners' back to Neverwinter. That's how Lander found himself out to sea once more. However his fortunes had turned for the worse since he was no longer crew, but cargo.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-08-08 at 12:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I didn't realize how close in flavor Xyrryn and DeLaney were... sheesh.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Okay, I think I've let this run long enough. I've picked 5 people and 2 backups and will be sensing out the discord link via PM shortly. Discord is NOT required, but it will make things easier. I'll be posting the thread next week to give everyone time to get things sorted out.

Apologies to those who I didn't select, I really liked most of the submissions, but running with more than 5 people exceeds my DMing skills.

Players
    Player Sheet Class/Archetype Race
    Ramsus Captain Xyrryn Sapphirica Bard (Eloquence-ish) Half-Elf (Aquatic)
    Bobthewizard Scrape Warlock (Lurker in the Deep) Tabaxi
    magnorun Pollock Monk (Shadow) 5/Rogue 1 Tortle
    Tycho42 The Sound of a Blade Slipping from the Scabbard Fighter (Samurai) Kenku
    PartyOfRogues Zahnan Haltim Artificer (Artillerist) Human (Mark of Passage)

Backup:
    Player Sheet Class/Archetype Race
    The BBEG DeLaney Rouge (Swashbuckkler) 4/Bard 2 Half-Elf
    MornShine Barbara Ann Barbarian (Path of the Depths) Human
    Last edited by Inmate XIII; 2020-08-08 at 02:06 PM.
    Discord: Inmate13#5036

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome! Looks like it will be a fun crew, wish Slayne could have joined you, but them's the breaks!

Have a good game!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

I never even got round to posting an entry. Oh well, I'm sure another DM will come around eventually who allows wingless winged tieflings. Have fun, everyone!