New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default New Paladin Oaths-- Vigilance and Faithfulness (aka bows and horses)

Oath of the Faithful
    Those who swear the Oath of the Faithful place their trust in others, and to lay down their lives to protect their friends.

TENETS OF FAITHFULNESS
    Though the exact words and strictures of the Oath of the Vigilant vary, paladins of this oath share these tenets.
    Loyalty. I will never turn my back on my allies.
    Love. I will cherish my friends and family in all things.
    Sacrifice. I will give of myself that those I love might thrive.
    Welcome. I will not limit my friendship to a chosen few.

Paladin Level
    Features
    3rd
    Oath Spells, Channel Divinity
    7th
    Aura of Faith (10ft)
    15th
    Ever-Standing Guardian
    18th
    Aura of Faith (30ft)
    20th
    Divine Union

Paladin Level
    Spells
    3rd
    Beast Bond, Mage Armor
    5th
    Barkskin, Warding Bond
    9th
    Counterspell, Life Transference
    13th
    Death Ward, Mordenkainen’s Faithful Hound
    17th
    Hallow, Mass Cure Wounds, Skill Empowerment

Channel Divinity
    When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
    • Faith in Friends: As an action, designate one allied creature within 30ft. For one minute, that creature has advantage on all attack rolls and saving throws.
    • Empowered Steed: As an action, you may channel divine strength and fortitude into one adjacent creature with an Intelligence score of 6 or less that is capable of bearing a rider. Its current and maximum hit points increase by five points per Paladin level, it gains proficiency in all saving throws, and it can carry a rider of the same size category as it. The blessing lasts until you complete a long rest, or until you use this ability again.

Aura of Faith: Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on saving throws against enchantment spells.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Ever-Standing Guardian: Beginning at 15th level, creatures who are within your reach have disadvantage on attack rolls against creatures other than you.

Divine Union: At 20th level, as an action, you can assume a state of perfect unity with one ally within 30ft. For one minute, both of you gain resistance to all damage, and when one of you is damaged you may transfer any amount of that damage to the other. In addition, you may add your Proficiency bonuses together, and each of you is considered proficient with any weapon, skill, or saving throw that the other is.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Oath of the Vigilant
    The Oath of the Vigilant calls for a paladin to be ever-watchful, to defend their charges from threats both seen and unseen and to let no evil escape their sight.

TENENTS OF VIGILANCE
    Though the exact words and strictures of the Oath of the Vigilant vary, paladins of this oath share these tenets.

Watch Over the Weak. I will stand alert that others may live in peace.
    A Steady Gaze. I will not close my eyes to wrongdoing, no matter the cause.
    Seek the Truth. What is seen is not always what is; I will find the truth wherever it is hidden.
    Fact the Truth. I will not deny that which is true, no matter how distasteful it might be.

Paladin Level
    Features
    3rd
    Oath Spells, Channel Divinity
    7th
    Aura of Alertness (10ft)
    15th
    Unblinking Eye
    18th
    Aura of Alertness (30ft)
    20th
    Divine Vigilance

Paladin Level
    Spells
    3rd
    Hail of Thorns, Detect Magic
    5th
    Darkvision, See Invisibility
    9th
    Conjure Barrage, Clairvoyance
    13th
    Arcane Eye, Locate Creature
    17th
    Scrying, Swift Quiver

Channel Divinity
    When you take this oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
    • Holy Arrows: As an action, you may imbue one ranged weapon with divine energy. For the next twenty-four hours, attacks you make with the weapon ignore resistance to piercing damage. In addition, your ranged weapon attacks with it also count as melee weapon attacks for the purposes of spells and abilities such as Divine Smite and Searing Smite.
    • All-Seeing Eye: As a bonus action, you may grant yourself a bonus on Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks for the next 10 minutes.

Aura of Alertness: Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on Initiative checks.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Unblinking Eye: Beginning at 15th level, you gain truesight out to a range of 30ft. In addition, you no longer need to sleep and can’t be forced to sleep by any means. To gain the benefits of a long rest, you can spend all 8 hours doing light activity such as keeping watch.

Divine Vigilance: At 20th level, as an action, you can assume a state of total awareness. For one minute, you can see in all directions simultaneously, and the range of your Unblinking Eye extends to 60ft. Furthermore, you can’t be surprised and have advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. Finally, other creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls against you for the duration.

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2020-08-12 at 09:42 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Paladin Oaths-- Vicilance and Faithfulness (aka bows and horses)

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Channel Divinity
    • Faith in Friends: As an action, designate one allied creature within 30ft. For one minute, that creature has advantage on all attack rolls and saving throws.
    • Empowered Steed: As an action, you may increase the current and maximum hit points of one creature you are riding with an Intelligence score of 6 or less by five points per Paladin level. In addition, the creature can carry a rider of the same size category as it, as long as it has sufficient strength. Both benefits last until you complete a long rest, or until you use this ability again.
    Empowered Steed letting the target carry larger creatures than normal seems to be a wasted benefit, since it needs to be able to carry you already for you to ride it and thus be able to use the CD. Unless it's intended to be a boost for other people's mounts, which... it does work for, but that seems like an odd choice.

I definitely like the subclass overall.

Channel Divinity

• Holy Arrows: As an action, you may imbue one ranged weapon or up to 20 bolts of arrows with divine energy. For the next twenty-four hours, attacks with them ignore resistance to piercing damage. In addition you may use your Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite abilities on ranged weapon attacks made using the enchanted arrows.
    • All-Seeing Eye: As a bonus action, you may grant yourself a bonus on Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) checks for the next 10 minutes.
    Holy Arrows lets you use Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite on attacks made with the enchanted arrows. A strict reading of this means that if you use it on a ranged weapon (a bow, say), you can't use those features, since the bow is what's imbued, not the arrows. It would also suggest that, since specific beats general and there's no requirement listed in Holy Arrows that you be the one to attack, your allies could also use them and get the benefits of Improved Divine Smite (and have you spend spell slots for Divine Smite).
    The first is probably a bug - the second, possibly an unintended feature?

Aura of Alertbess: Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on Initiative checks.
    Type in the name of this feature.

I like this too.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Paladin Oaths-- Vicilance and Faithfulness (aka bows and horses)

Thanks! Glad you like 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Empowered Steed letting the target carry larger creatures than normal seems to be a wasted benefit, since it needs to be able to carry you already for you to ride it and thus be able to use the CD. Unless it's intended to be a boost for other people's mounts, which... it does work for, but that seems like an odd choice.
    It's supposed to make mounted-combat-in-a-dungeon work a bit better for medium sized creatures, but it looks like I made a mistake with the wording.

Holy Arrows lets you use Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite on attacks made with the enchanted arrows. A strict reading of this means that if you use it on a ranged weapon (a bow, say), you can't use those features, since the bow is what's imbued, not the arrows. It would also suggest that, since specific beats general and there's no requirement listed in Holy Arrows that you be the one to attack, your allies could also use them and get the benefits of Improved Divine Smite (and have you spend spell slots for Divine Smite).
    The first is probably a bug - the second, possibly an unintended feature?
    ...neither of those things is intended, no.

Type in the name of this feature.
    Yeah, well, there's a typo in your conment too
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I like what you do with the Holy Arrows Channel Divinity. However I would’ve done it a little bit differently, allowing the ability to use smite spells with arrows instead of actually giving them the initial smite feature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garfunion View Post
    I like what you do with the Holy Arrows Channel Divinity. However I would’ve done it a little bit differently, allowing the ability to use smite spells with arrows instead of actually giving them the initial smite feature.
    I wasn't particularly thinking about smite spells when I wrote the ability, but now that you mention it there's probably a better way to word the ability to include them.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wasn't particularly thinking about smite spells when I wrote the ability, but now that you mention it there's probably a better way to word the ability to include them.
    Personally I think the smite spells, if were able to be used with the ranged attacks would’ve gone a long way at filling in the fantasy of an Arcane Archer/Gunmage. I’m not sure why the developers decided to make most of the smite spells melee attack only.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: New Paladin Oaths-- Vigilance and Faithfulness (aka bows and horses)

I like the ranged paladin concept overall, but the Holy Arrows ability should be changed. If you spec to play as a ranged character, than it becomes the only CD you'll ever use. The other option ma as well no exis. Instead I think you should just allow ranged smites as a feature and balance accordingly. But as always, YMMV.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: New Paladin Oaths-- Vigilance and Faithfulness (aka bows and horses)

Quote Originally Posted by Tempist View Post
    I like the ranged paladin concept overall, but the Holy Arrows ability should be changed. If you spec to play as a ranged character, than it becomes the only CD you'll ever use. The other option ma as well no exis. Instead I think you should just allow ranged smites as a feature and balance accordingly. But as always, YMMV.
    The benefits last for twenty-four hours-- you use it at the beginning of the day, or the night before, or at any point you hit a rest without having expended your Channel Divinity, and you can still use All-Seeing Eye with rests for the next twenty-four hours.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show