New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Star Wars d6: Questions about taking turns

The system of being able to chose the number of turns you want to take in a round seems like a cool idea. But I immediately had questions about a couple of situations related to characters being in cover.

Situation 1: A PC decides to use one action to run across a street during a firefight, starting and ending his turn behind buildings that shield him completely from stormtrooper blasters that are firing down the street. The street is natrow enough that crossing it takes only a single action.
    If I understand the rules correctly, there is no time at which any stormtroopers could take a shot at him. You can only get shot moving between cover when the distance requires two actions to cover the distance. That doesn't seem satisfying. I think there should be some opportunity to get shot in this situation.

Situation 2: A hero decides he wants to take three actions in a round. As his first action he runs to a door, as his second action he kicks it open. He then sees a stormtrooper inside the room with a blaster.
    This would be a great situation to have the player decide if he wants to use his third action to dodge at -2D, dodge as a reaction at -3D and then also take a shot at the stormtrooper at -3D, or not dodge at all and take a shot at -2D.
    But if the stormtrooper had only taken one turn that round, he would already have used it after the hero ran towards the door and before the hero kicked the door open. The rules very clearly tell us that you can't wait to take your turn later.

I believe I fully understand the rules for these situations, but they feel very unsatisfying. I could always decide arbitrarily that in Situation 1, one of the stormtroopers gets to make his attack out of turn to take a shot at the hero. Or that the stormtrooper in situation 2 takes his only action on turn 2 instead of turn 1. But is there anything specific in the rules for situations like these?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars d6: Questions about taking turns

Situation 1: Remember, that this isn't a Final Fantasy, turn-based strategy combat game. Unless the firefight is just starting, and nobody has taken a shot yet, there will always be blaster-bolts flying as the PC is moving across the street. The character may be able to cover the distance in one move action, but the player will still have to roll a Running check. Even with easy terrain (low target number), it is possible to fail and trip. Also, depending on the version there is always a chance for the wild die to throw in a complication. In addition, remember that Star Wars D6 is all about cinematographic play, so it would be well within the GM's rights to give the Stormtroopers a round of blaster fire at the character as he darts across the street to make things more exciting, even if it breaks turn order. Even if you just roll some dice for the sound and ignore any results...let the player think his character might get shot. Think of Luke and Leia swinging across the chasm in the Death Star. Blaster bolts were flying all around them as they swing through the air.

Situation 2: The Stormtrooper in the room wouldn't have taken an action until the Character burst into the room. Even if he was doing things in there (making coffee?) he wasn't in combat, so his actions don't count. As soon as the PC kicks the door open and decides what to do (and does it) it's the troopers turn to start blasting. Turn order will stay in that order; PC then NPC until the encounter is over. Unless the Stormtrooper was shooting at the PC out a window or something, and already in combat. Either way, with all the dice that the PC is throwing away on all those extra actions, it's a good bet that the Stormtrooper will live to see his next turnA. The PC is not going to get two turns in a row.

Keep in mind that the original D6 version of the game was all about re-creating the feel of the movies (compete with short movie scripts at the beginning of each published adventure), so whatever helps you to capture that fast-paced, action-packed movie feeling is usually the right answer.

A: Unless the PC is a higher level character, with double digit dice pools to throw around. If that's the case, it won't matter what the Stormtrooper does, he's getting blasted eight ways from Sunday regardless.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2020-08-06 at 12:11 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

good answer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Situation 1: A PC decides to use one action to run across a street during a firefight, starting and ending his turn behind buildings that shield him completely from stormtrooper blasters that are firing down the street. The street is natrow enough that crossing it takes only a single action.
    If I understand the rules correctly, there is no time at which any stormtroopers could take a shot at him. You can only get shot moving between cover when the distance requires two actions to cover the distance. That doesn't seem satisfying. I think there should be some opportunity to get shot in this situation.
    The character isn't "Safe, move before stormtroopers get a turn, safe again". The character is "moving into cover", which is a Dodge skill roll. The fact that the character is safe behind cover before taking a turn doesn't matter. The important thing is that the character's turn is spent rolling Dodge to get into cover before getting shot.

Situation 2: A hero decides he wants to take three actions in a round. As his first action he runs to a door, as his second action he kicks it open. He then sees a stormtrooper inside the room with a blaster.
    This would be a great situation to have the player decide if he wants to use his third action to dodge at -2D, dodge as a reaction at -3D and then also take a shot at the stormtrooper at -3D, or not dodge at all and take a shot at -2D.
    But if the stormtrooper had only taken one turn that round, he would already have used it after the hero ran towards the door and before the hero kicked the door open. The rules very clearly tell us that you can't wait to take your turn later.
    The stormtrooper isn't waiting to use his turn. He just isn't in the combat yet. When the PC comes into the room, the stormtrooper enters the combat from that point.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    The character isn't "Safe, move before stormtroopers get a turn, safe again". The character is "moving into cover", which is a Dodge skill roll. The fact that the character is safe behind cover before taking a turn doesn't matter. The important thing is that the character's turn is spent rolling Dodge to get into cover before getting shot.
    How? At what point could one of the enemies take a shot at him?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

How? At what point could one of the enemies take a shot at him?
    When it's their turn. It isn't...
    Player: "I rolled a 17 on my Dodge."
    GM: "OK, you cross the street without getting shot and now you're safe again."

It's...
    Player: "I rolled a 17 on my Dodge."
    GM: "OK. That 17 replaces the normal difficulty number for the stormtroopers that shoot at you this round. If they don't take you down, you'll be in cover next round."

If they roll badly on the Dodge roll, they can actually make themselves easier to hit. They zig when they should zag. That's why clumsy characters like C3PO don't dodge with their 1D and just walk through firefights hoping for the best.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Keep in mind that, although there are a declaration phase and an action phase, everything that happens in combat on a given round, all happen at the same time.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."