New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Doesn't seem like that mattered all that much.

Disregarding the final hallway so easily?
    It's easy to march on something once you know where it is (which Tarquin didn't until Nale and the Order have found it for him).
    Also, high level psions seem to be even more rare in the setting than vampires (heck, Redcloak wasn't even sure at some point if psionics is a thing in their universe or not).

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It's not quite the same thing. Unlike Lirian's virus, the sigil is not an active effect. It's a bit more difficult to tell what it does and how it does it.
    It's not; I doubt they would have figured out how Lirian accomplished it at all if she hadn't told them.
    Yup. Like I mentioned (in response to dancrilis), I also think that could become an issue. Dancrilis is, however, probably right that at this point we cannot be absolutely certain there is no catch in that.
    I agree, but until that catch is known I have no problem standing by it. I fully expect to change my view if the catch changes things.
    It's not a brute force timesink in the sense Kraagor's Gate seems to be one. It's a puzzle. It takes a little more than just time to solve it: two Evil people have to kind of understand the mindset of a Good wizard to get past it.
    The same two Evil people who understood the mindset of Good paladins?
    Uncommon or not, people in Stickverse know that liches, vampires and the like exist, and know one when they see one, invariably. Not warding the Gate against attacks by powerful undead creatures is not by any means the same thing as not foreseeing that some caster can use an obscure homebrewn spell only one (now dead) person ever knew to cast on someone they didn't even know to have been their relative, and not making arrangements to prevent that. I mean, they were a secret society. Few knew they even exist, fewer yet knew where they are, and none other than them knew their numbers and the fact that they were all related. Lirian's sloppiness is a stupid mistake
    No more stupid than Soon not warding his tower against a Great Wyrm dragon. Which is to say, not stupid at all.
    It's easy to march on something once you know where it is (which Tarquin didn't until Nale and the Order have found it for him).
    Why, it's almost as if all the Gates had "security through obscurity" as an additional measure.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-07 at 12:29 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Soon very nearly destroyed his body, very nearly killed Redcloak, and very nearly secured the phylactery and his ultimately failing to do so was no merit of Team Evil and no fault of his own, so I'd say he'd be our winner.
    I disagree, Soon's belief was that "only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable" and so his defenses consisted of the Sapphire Guard both in life and in death. However that very same belief in their infallibility (plus some classism on Soon's part in hiring only nobles) is what corrupted them and caused them to fail in three different ways:

1) Rather than stay focused on what should have been a single-target strike against the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, the SG embarked in an extermination campaign, and in so doing, created the the main threat to the safety of all Gates.

2) In their desire to appear to be ideal paladins they negelected to capture their ennemy's main asset (the Mantle) so they can humblebrag about it.

3) Miko crippled the defenses of the City and thrusted the leadership of the gaurd to an inexperienced leader in a time of crisis, and later destroyed Soon's Gate even though she was part of its defenses.

Because they were so confident in their "unbreakable honor" they never stopped to consider what the hell they were doing and wether they could be wrong until O-Chul and Shojo reformed them but by then the damage was already done.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #64

It's not; I doubt they would have figured out how Lirian accomplished it at all if she hadn't told them.
    I wonder. That's anyone's guess, really, but they would have had a chance knowing their opoonent is a nature-loving hippie, so it's likely some nature-based trick.

The same two Evil people who understood the mindset of Good paladins?
    Please. That was more of a Lawful-Chaotic duo understanding the mindset of a bunch of incredibly stiff Lawful people („a ruse that relies on the target's innate acceptance of the rules presented to him”, in other words, to quote Haley).

No more stupid than Soon not warding his tower against a Great Wyrm dragon. Which is to say, not stupid at all.
    You mean something that, unlike undead (and, as others suggested, non-magical) threats, may or may not even exist in the setting?

Why, it's almost as if all the Gates had "security through obscurity" as an additional measure.
    Mhm. Except Lirian's, who tied hers to some trees and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I disagree, Soon's belief was that "only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable" and so his defenses consisted of the Sapphire Guard both in life and in death. However that very same belief in their infallibility (plus some classism on Soon's part in hiring only nobles) is what corrupted them and caused them to fail in three different ways:

1) Rather than stay focused on what should have been a single-target strike against the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, the SG embarked in an extermination campaign, and in so doing, created the the main threat to the safety of all Gates.

2) In their desire to appear to be ideal paladins they negelected to capture their ennemy's main asset (the Mantle) so they can humblebrag about it.

3) Miko crippled the defenses of the City and thrusted the leadership of the gaurd to an inexperienced leader in a time of crisis, and later destroyed Soon's Gate even though she was part of its defenses.

Because they were so confident in their "unbreakable honor" they never stopped to consider what the hell they were doing and wether they could be wrong until O-Chul and Shojo reformed them but by then the damage was already done.
    1. Granted, they wer massive jerks and many goblins have reason enough to hate them as fiercely as it gets. However,
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    as far as we know, the Mantle was created not long after D. and L. finished sealing the first Rift,
    amd at any rate, long before the Guard was established and long before the Guard began to go on crusades (both of which happened after the Scribblers disbanded themselves).
    2. I'm yet to read Good Deeds, so I have no answer for that.
    3.„Miko had issues, but
    Spoiler: OOotPC
    Show

were it not for V blowing up his prison by accident, Belkar would not have broken loose and would not have had reason to skip town; were he not looking for a good way to skip town, he wouldn't have ensured Roy will hire him; were he not hired, the Order would have had Good and Neutral members only;
    were it so, Miko would have been much less suspicious of them; in which case she likely would not have gone so far as killing her liege for conspiring with them; in which case things would have turned out otherwise.
    ). It's not Soon's fault that Miko went rogue, and not the Guard's fault, either.”
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-07 at 12:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65

I wonder. That's anyone's guess, really, but they would have had a chance knowing their opoonent is a nature-loving hippie, so it's likely some nature-based trick.
    So you want to both argue that they could not understand the mindset of one of the Scribblers they did not share the mindset of, but could understand the mindset of another of the Scribblers they did not share the mindset of? That's certainly a bold strategy, I'll give you that.

The runes were purely magical - Reddie and Xykon are equipped to understand pure magic. Neither of them have many, if any, demonstrated skillpoints in Medicine or Knowledge (Nature), however, so it is pretty unlikely they would figure out why Xykon lost his powers, especially since Redcloak didn't, without being explicitly told why.
    Please. That was more of a Lawful-Chaotic duo understanding the mindset of a bunch of incredibly stiff Lawful people („a ruse that relies on the target's innate acceptance of the rules presented to him”, in other words, to quote Haley).
    Let's take a Lawful view - would Redcloak accept the terms presented to him immediately by a Devil, without suspecting something? Heck, Redcloak didn't even accepting the terms of a Lawful dwarf without suspecting something a few strips ago.

This is not a strictly Lawful issue.
    You mean something that, unlike undead (and, as others suggested, non-magical) threats, may or may not even exist in the setting?
    Not at all. I'm saying that powerful, free-willed undead, like Great Wyrm dragons, are rare in this setting. I believe I have been very clear on this point.
    Mhm. Except Lirian's, who tied hers to some trees and called it a day.
    You mean the Gate that Redcloak and Xykon wouldn't even have known was there if some other goblin hadn't told his god?

Imean, that was your argument against Tarkin's army, right? He didn't find it himself so it doesn't count?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

d6 Re: Why was the Dungeon of Dorukan so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    True to an extent, but the nature of Lirian's Gate made it easy to keep Lirian away from the rift, making it extremely vulnerable to Redcloak just casually walking up to it.
    Absolutely, it did not work. We know it didn't work. However it's the why that matters here; Lirian's defenses would have worked if not faced by an out of settingly strong Lich and an army they had not anticipated working together. Her forces were enough to guard the gate while she dealt with major threats or vice versa, except they faced two major threats at once including once.

Lirian was quite right that the largest threat was a high power caster so she built a macguffin for it, then got beaten because Xykon became a Lich (which no one else knows about but Redcloak), was a higher level character then anyone else in the setting, and had an army.

Edit: Static defenses are also not meant to win but to slow enemies. If Xykon had been met by all of the Scribbles this would not be a series, but he wasn't because they had made monumentally bad decisions. Again, none of them call to the others for assistance, even Dorukan doesn't pop in to help.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-08-07 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Level scaling?

8. - Top - End - #68

The runes were purely magical - Reddie and Xykon are equipped to understand pure magic. Neither of them have many, if any, demonstrated skillpoints in Medicine or Knowledge (Nature), however, so it is pretty unlikely they would figure out why Xykon lost his powers, especially since Redcloak didn't, without being explicitly told why.
    Mhm. I suppose that's why throwing live goblins on it was the best strategy of trying to understand their nature they could come up with in all that time.

Let's take a Lawful view - would Redcloak accept the terms presented to him immediately by a Devil, without suspecting something? Heck, Redcloak didn't even accepting the terms of a Lawful dwarf without suspecting something a few strips ago.

This is not a strictly Lawful issue.
    This is a Lawful issue. Redcloak seems to have taken Improved Paranoia somewhere down the line, so I don't think he's the best example you can come up with here. HIs (presumably mostly) Lawful Evil/Neutral hobgoblin minions would readily accept the terms presented (if accepting as a given that their (at that point) openly racist Supreme Leader's orders must needs be the best course of action because they come from an authority figure is anything to go by).

Not at all. I'm saying that powerful, free-willed undead, like Great Wyrm dragons, are rare in this setting. I believe I have been very clear on this point.
    Like I said, they are not quite so uncommon that one would not expect them to show up somewhere important (mind you, this universe runs on narrativ rules, and its inhabitants are aware of that). Also, necromancy is a well-known, widespread form of magic in the setting. Even Julia was taught necromancy in her school. A necromancer with well applied undead minions (including potentially powerful ones: Redcloak was 16th level (far from epic) when he created three free-willed undead lieutenants for himself during the course of a single day) controlled remotely can be quite a threat in and on itself and that one of these would want to assault a Gate is not quite as absurdly improbable as you'd seem to think.

You mean the Gate that Redcloak and Xykon wouldn't even have known was there if some other goblin hadn't told his god?

I mean, that was your argument against Tarquin's army, right? He didn't find it himself so it doesn't count?
    It was mostly „hidden” by the fact that very few know about the Gates in the first place. Lirian did not go the extra mile to really hide it. I mean, Soon's Gate was basically disguised as a pretty ornament on a throne. Girard's Gate was hidden in a lead-lined pillar that was hidden in a pyramid choke full of illusions that was hidden by further illusions in a hidden valley hidden in the middle of a canyon somewhere in a desert.
    Lirian tied her Gate which looked liked a Gate to some trees.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-07 at 02:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    And one of those silly rules or tropes in D&D is that if a party of adventurers runs into a group of monsters, it's somehow a "level-appropriate encounter". Even if logically it makes little sense.
    Heh, in old school D&D one learned that "the party that fights and runs away may live to fight another day" ... but I digress.
    For an undead and a person with a Major Artifact that slows aging down to a crawl, a timesink is a remarkably poor defense.
    Looks like Xykon and RC are doing an epic version of Take 20 at Monster Hollow ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Xykon is just all out of proportion to the normal world's threats.
    Yes. And even he's a chump compared to the Snarl being let loose.
    Knowledge that a vampire can exist is certainly different than knowledge of how a vampire works, for example.
    Same with Dark Matter.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes. And even he's a chump compared to the Snarl being let loose.
    Well yeah, they aren't playing the same game. Xykon is like a guy a few weight classes getting to fight down without penalty, the SNARL is like a guy with a gun getting to use it in a boxing match.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Lirian's defenses seemed to prioritize making the gate un-capturable as it would require keeping the treants alive and immobilized before they could act. Though I imagine TE could have pulled that off. I guess the thought was that by the time a powerful threat bypassed the other defenses, the treants were supposed to break the gate, maybe.
    I has Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Ah! Thank you!
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Xykon and Redcloak probably cleared out most of the worst defences, but more importantly: Dorukan's Gate was secure because it had an Epic Wizard sitting on it.

Dorukan's Gate was only compromised because he flew into a panic and went out to throw himself at Xykon. If he'd kept his head, he could have cast Limited Wish for a Death Ward and ruined Xykon's whole day. Hell, he could have kicked back and researched Dorukan's Epic Smite Lich or something.

The Gates tend to fail because of a flaw in their guardians. Dorukan's was that for all his intelligence, he couldn't think straight when emotionally provoked.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JBiddles View Post
    Xykon and Redcloak probably cleared out most of the worst defences, but more importantly: Dorukan's Gate was secure because it had an Epic Wizard sitting on it.

Dorukan's Gate was only compromised because he flew into a panic and went out to throw himself at Xykon. If he'd kept his head, he could have cast Limited Wish for a Death Ward and ruined Xykon's whole day. Hell, he could have kicked back and researched Dorukan's Epic Smite Lich or something.

The Gates tend to fail because of a flaw in their guardians. Dorukan's was that for all his intelligence, he couldn't think straight when emotionally provoked.
    Limited Wish might have just killed Dorukan via aging, allowing Xykon to win by default.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Limited Wish might have just killed Dorukan via aging, allowing Xykon to win by default.
    To my knowledge, Limited Wish doesn't have any aging effects?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

"Who knew Liches were weak to specially calibrated point blank magical annihilation?"
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2020-08-07 at 10:07 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Ariko View Post
    Lirian's defenses seemed to prioritize making the gate un-capturable as it would require keeping the treants alive and immobilized before they could act. Though I imagine TE could have pulled that off. I guess the thought was that by the time a powerful threat bypassed the other defenses, the treants were supposed to break the gate, maybe.
    Which is weird, since when Lirian's Gate was set up, Lirian had no reason to believe that their spell can be corrupted via something like the Dark One's Ritual (and I'd assume that they would have come up with some other way of sealing the Rifts were they to realize that Gates are unsafe), and therefore one would think that her priority should have been keeping the Rift sealed.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I don't think Dorukan lost his head or anything. He just took a calculated risk (it was legitimately the only way he could get Lirian back for certain) and lost.
    Last edited by hrožila; 2020-08-08 at 04:43 AM.
    ungelic is us

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

One aspect of the Gates being vulnerable is they ARE GATES
    As I’ve said elsewhere - they aren’t meant to be seals on the rifts - they are meant to be Gates to the other world whilst also sealing the Snarl away. As the Giant has said, the Gates are a connection from the prison plane to the material world. They exist to access that plane without letting the Snarl out.
    'Utślie'n aurė! Aiya Eldaliė ar Atanatįri, utślie'n aurė! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómė!" The night is passing!"

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    One aspect of the Gates being vulnerable is they ARE GATES
    As I’ve said elsewhere - they aren’t meant to be seals on the rifts - they are meant to be Gates to the other world whilst also sealing the Snarl away. As the Giant has said, the Gates are a connection from the prison plane to the material world. They exist to access that plane without letting the Snarl out.
    That doesn't sound right.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The gem reinforces the Gate; the gem is NOT the Gate, and the Gate is not the seal, and the seal is not the rift. The gem is the deadbolt, not the lock, or the door, or the doorway. The "door" is a complex spell that is not actually visible but is what Dorukan and Lirian are casting in the first panel of the second page of #276. The "lock" is the Gate, a tiny magical object that later had a throne crafted around it; it's about the size of a raisin in the case of Azure City. The "doorway" is the rift itself, and it is not really inside the gemstone, it's just that the gem (and Gate) are translucent and we can see through it (because it's a visual medium and it made it easier to understand). The gemstone is an enchanted object that further seals and reinforces the Gate; thus, the "deadbolt."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I’m referring to the quote about moving the Gates to the outer planes to kill the gods
    It’s something like “it’s a connection to the prison plane. When you move it you connect the prison plane to one of the outer planes and the Snarl moves there and kills the gods in that plane. But then the evil gods will spam portals from that plane to the Dark Ones plane.”
    In fact your quote also has that concept. He literally calls it a doorway - NOT a patch or anything that suggests they are sealing off the path. Yes the word seal is used but at the same time so is door and doorway. So to me that suggests they were making a door to that other world whilst stopping the Snarl using it. Sort of like those Perspex tunnels you get in sea life centres that you can walk through the bottom of the main tank.
    Last edited by mjasghar; 2020-08-10 at 04:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

This last part is IMO key.

Quote Originally Posted by hrožila View Post
    Personally I don't think Dorukan lost his head or anything. He just took a calculated risk (it was legitimately the only way he could get Lirian back for certain) and lost.
    I agree, in so far he wasn't panicking or something like that. The problem here is that he took the calculated risk at all, and IMO like most wizards overestimated his ability over "a mere sorceror".

He shouldn't have risked the gate, not even for Lirian and he for sure shouldn't blaze out against an lich sorceror. That is one or perhaps the fundemental flaw in Dorukan. When considering protecting gates and not things like being an emotionally balanced human being.

Every single time a wizard has though "wizards are better then sorceror's I can take him" Xykon wins. Because the wizards arne't using the strengths of a wizard and effectively playing Xykons game of strength and brute force.

On another note all the gates seem woefyull weak against actual physical harm. If we consider that the gates are needed to shore up reality Lirian's got torn apart by trees running from fire. Dorukan built a self destruct into the castle. Miko smashed through Soon's gate and Roy whacked Girard's. Most of the defences tried to protect against possession, yet all have fallen to outright destruction instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    I’m referring to the quote about moving the Gates to the outer planes to kill the gods
    I've seen no real impression that this is the case. RC and TDO may think this can happen, I question if they really know anything what they are messing about. TDO clearly isn't too well informed about what is going on since he's not talking to the other gods. Which means that everything we know about TDO's plan, RC supposedly follows and even he hasn't spoken to his god, rests on hearsay. The problem with the entire plan is, that it seems the other gods can just unmake reality before RC and Xykon could complete the ritual.

I can't remember seeing if the other gods are are even worried something like that can happen, obviously they can be blindisded, but seeing how many worlds the gods been through, I kinda suspect TSO knows less than TDO thinks of reality.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-08-10 at 05:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see. For the four Gates we do know about:

• Lilian's Gate: This is a very much "why the heck did she not do X" situation yes, but I do think people are underselling it somewhat. Yes, undead(and constructs for that matter) are immune to her guardian virus trump card. It works on virtually everything else, though, and the few outliers can usually be ignored by the simple fact that there's an epic druid squatting in the area. Lilian is an elf, so it's not even like she'd die of old age any time soon, either. She did make a number of tactical mistakes - arguably the only reason she did so poorly against him is because the narrative wanted to show what abilities Xykon gained from his transformation - but I'd say the only really damning mistakes were blabbing about how her greatest asset worked and the existence of the other Gates.

• Dorukan's Gate: The only real problem here was human error; Dorukan did manage to keep a hold on himself until Xykon literally forced his girlfriend's soul to watch her corpse get devoured. Did he make a fatal mistake? Yes. Is it that easy to ignore? Well... I'd say no, personally. As for the dungeon itself, I'd say that the Sigil was more of a last line of defense rather than the only one that mattered. Remember, Xykon's forces basically gutted the dungeon and there probably would have been guardians to warn Good-aligned people away otherwise even if Dorkuan had croaked by then.

• Soon's Gate: I think the Sapphire Guard did shoot themselves in the foot by antagonizing the goblins so much when TDO clearly knew that the Gates were a thing, so even if it hadn't been Team Evil specifically there was always the risk of them invading. In a sense, it was possibly the only Gate where the most realistic option was "bring an army". That being said, it wasn't lost easily, and if Miko hadn't destroyed the gem with the Gate in it then Soon would have finished the two biggest threats. And unless you have magical weapons you can't even hurt him. That being said, if the ghost-paladins can't return after getting "turned", then the defenses would have been seriously weakened and the city would still have been in ruins whether or not Miko had blown up the Gate. Still, the flaws it did have aren't exactly ones that could really be fixed easily and/or aren't exactly obvious ones.

• Girard's Gate: I'll be blunt; calling this one a bust because the Draketooths were wiped out by Familicide is like calling a snow fort a failure because it can't stand multiple point-blank tactical nuke strikes. It was actually hidden better than any of the other Gates except maybe Soon's, and it had a large number of high-level sorcerers as defenders. While undead can ignore a lot of some of the stronger illusion spells and True Seeing is an extremely efficient counter, it's still a bit of a catch-22. An army will probably not have the resources to give enough people True Seeing, and smaller groups are unlikely to have as much raw spellcasting power. Remember, illusions were only the main class of abilities they could use, so even if half the spells they knew were illusions they could still spontaneously cast the other half just fine, and that's assuming that your protections don't get dispelled.

Honestly, the biggest reasons the Gates have fallen could be said to be narrative reasons rather than inherent flaws:

• Lilian used the forces of nature to defend her Gate; she was killed by Xykon(undead) the Gate was accidentally destroyed by Redcloak(unnatural lifespan extension.

• Dorkuan trusted in his wizardry and the Sigil of Pure Heart; he was killed by Xykon(a sorcerer) and his Gate was destroyed by Elan(Good-aligned but dumb).

• Soon's Gate was protected by the army of Azure City and the Sapphire Guard; the city fell to a stronger army and the Gate was destroyed by Miko, a fallen paladin - and if Redcloak(wronged by the Guard) hadn't turned all the oathspirits, she probably wouldn't have gone straight for the gem either).

• Girard protected his Gate with his family of sorcerers and deception; the family was wiped out by Familicide and Roy saw through his bluff simply because of cross-class ranks in Knowledge(engineering and architecture).
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.