New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default PC building constructs with templates?

Hello everyone, I have a question and I'm looking for advice. I'm playing a construct building character and I was wondering if there are any rules for constructing constructs and applying templates to them during creation. I know that when pricing out a custom construct from scratch there's a formula for it, but idk if that would apply here. By the way, it's pathfinder. Thoughts?
    Last edited by LaRayna; 2020-08-05 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Specifying system

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: PC building constructs with templates?

Where is "here"? Specifically, what game and edition are you playing? You'll probably get better responses if you have the mods move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum.

Best of luck to you!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

By here I meant in this situation. As for what system, I'm playing pathfinder.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaRayna View Post
    By here I meant in this situation. As for what system, I'm playing pathfinder.
    OK. Pathfinder is considered part of D&D 3.X here in the The Playground.

I confess to having no expertise with 3.X/Pathfinder, but now that the system you're playing in has been established, people more qualified to help are likely to post.

Best of luck to you!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well thank you for your input though.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Go find the Price by CR section of the Building and Modifying Constructs page of the PRD.

Boils down to an optional rule where a Construct's price is CR times CR times 500. Half that if you're building it. Theres a price for the body mentioned there too but I do not recall the specifics off hand.

We also had the minimum CL set by those spells and if no spells are mentioned the minimum CL is instead set by the Craft Construct feat.

Our table made every spell mentioned in the monster stat block a requisite for creation excepting those listed under spellcasting. We banned Trompe L'oeil and Alter Ego and Artificial Intelligence for player use because you can just build copies of the players and have those adventure instead.

EDIT
    Using these prices we also collect and sell destroyed Construct corpses as broken objects worth the price of the body as modified by the price for broken items. "Items with the broken condition, regardless of type, are worth 75% of their normal value."
    Since Construct bodies before being enchanted are mundane items just like a magic sword before being enchanted is a mundane object.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2020-08-05 at 09:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Try checking out Encyclopedia Arcane: Constructs (It Is Alive). It has a much expanded set of rules that are very similar to those mentioned, with many more options available, such as mechanical and biological golems.

Now, I don't know of anything that allows for tacking on templates to traditional style golems, but a notion would be to use planar or enchanted base material. For instance, Shadesteel from the Plane of Shadow to grant the Shadowtouched template.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a few construct specific templates, which you can naturally apply to a construct you make, like soulbound construct, clockwork construct, steam powered etc.
    There's the construct modification rules for adding onto an existing construct too.