A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,295 of 1295
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

Mountain Trip

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Mountain Trip]

"You can observe, if you would like." This isn't actually an obvious choice for Calm Reed. The teachings of the Immaculate martial arts aren't meant to be given lightly. But she trusts Fidelia and she and St. Lazarus are obviously quite close. It won't do any harm. "I have begun teaching you the physical principles of Earth Dragon, Saint Lazarus, but what I am about to say are the... metaphysical underpinnings. My master told me the same thing when I began learning. Here, under a mountain, we are closer to Pasiap." The Immaculate Dragon of Earth, as St. Lazarus will remember (Calm Reed has made no real attempt at converting anyone to her faith but approaches the lessons as they had been taught her in the monastery). "But more practically, there is nowhere to run or evade. If an enemy came upon you here, you would have no choice but to stand and fight." She aims a punch in St. Laz's direction, which she will be able to catch with her sword quite easily (and Calm Reed seems able to parry blades with her bare hands). "Even if the enemy is a demon or Anathema. To stand firm like this mountain and answer the assault with overwhelming force is what the Earth Dragon style means."

Blocking a fist with the flat of a zweihander isn't especially complicated. It's a large blade, and not especially heavy for the undead woman. It's simple enough that she has a moment to contemplate Calm Reed's teachings, to study the words in her mind. To look any demon or dragon or Exalt right in the eyes and say 'No, you move.' There's a world of difference between this and how she used to see combat, where every encounter was a DPS race where her undead fortitude and big sword clumsily tore stuff up until there was nothing left to kill. Up in Skyside, she just counted on her opposition being too squishy and scared to do anything meaningful to her before it was too late. She pushes back against the fist, digging her heels in and keeping herself locked in place. No counterattack, however, as Calm Reed hasn't explicitly said anything about taking a swing at her yet, and she'd rather not venture a guess and get punched fifty feet back for assuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi
    You can find me (and people almost as great as me) on the Nexus Server For Cool Attractive People! Come join us!

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Great Inland Sea]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Caroline closes her eyes and tries to relax, coiling into quite a nice dragony position.

Yes, dear: I have been able to use that sort of magic for quite some time, but I've never had any need to do so.

She gets back up a little less smoothly, still not quite confident in just "letting her body do what it does", but that is mostly a matter of practice. She nods to Cleo

Yes... I think swimming seems like a good idea. I feel like I want to be in the water...

Meanwhile, Keiko grins and slips into the water with barely a splash, her coloration making her fairly nearly invisible from the surface almost immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Steven very nearly copies Keiko's movement, sliding into the water with hardly a sound. Though he doesn't dive deep nearly so fast.
    "If you would prefer Caroline we can stick to the shallows for a little bit." It's a bit safer for the hatchlings anyway. Not that it will stop them.
    Imagine having a new magic power and not trying it out!

Two hatchlings blend into the water very well, just like their mother. One does not, so the others decide they have to chase her, and start up a game of tag. As predicted, they have no concern with staying in shallow water, tails swishing back and forth as they swim here and there.

Kronoa is busy picking up all the best rocks on shore and putting them in a pile.

"It's funny, how just changing shape makes everything seem different."
    Cleo follows them into the sea, deliberatly and not-so-smoothly.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Witch and the Frog Prince]

The bogwitch seems pleased.
    "I'll answer your questions while we set up these experiments."

She brings the glass over to the table, sets the potion rack over to the table nearest Rowan, and then goes looking for a bucket filled with recently-sprouted water lilies (that haven't grown enough to break the surface of the water).
    Having eight tentacles (and two hands) is really convenient when it comes to carrying things.

As she starts filling the jars with water and mud (expecting Rowan to do the same), she explains things.

"You're just overthinking it. We're in a swamp so a frog form will help you feel closer to nature and its natural magic," she says. "Plus, frogs are cute. By better understanding how the animals here work, you'll learn much more quickly, be able to draw out magic more easily, and so on."

The bogwitch starts transferring plants from the bucket into the jars.
    "I actually used the same spell on both of you. It just seems you had a much higher affinity to it, so I imagine you'll be able to pick up drawing magic from the environment much quicker than her. Do you already have experience with that sort of thing, or something?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Witch and the Frog Prince

Rowan sets about helping the witch with her setup.
    "I think if GIIven the choice I'd rather lOOK closer to you. Your tentacles seem practical. There's bog ce-ce-ff" He's clearly trying to say "cephalopods" but his frog mouth isn't cooperating. "-right?" He's fairly sure that's what she is. If she was a sea octopus the murky water here would not be good for her skin.
    "My mOOM may or may nOOt be a faerie incarnation of sUUUmmer. So yes. It's in the blOOOd." he continues.

"Cute or nOOt this CROAKing is driving me crazy."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Seally Plot]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    "Maybe they're some kind of elemental, then. Like, how storm elementals are just, like, made of wind and storms, but are also alive," Zophiel says. "Get a powerful enough wind and part if it becomes sentient. Get a powerful enough time freeze and part of it becomes sentient." Basically the same thing, right? That sort of stuff happens all the time.

No other significant changes happen to the rude goddess.

Time passes. Zophiel and Cleo and Anchor have time to do things or leave or whatever.
    Eventually, the rude goddess decides she wants to leave. What point is there in keeping her here, anyway?
    There is no point, that's what. They've done what they wanted, she's done what she wanted, everyone is satisfied.
    She starts mentally preparing herself to leave.
    "Maybe. Frozen time isn't a common element, but it probably would be when there's so much of the stuff." Zophiel's probably right; this sort of thing does happen all the time.

Time goes by. Cleo cleans up the room, puts away most of the magical implements, and eventually says goodbye to Zophiel and goes to check on the children downstairs.

Anchor technically keeps watching the rude goddess, but mostly is reading a book by now.
    If you asked her, she'd say that nothing has changed about the rude goddess, so why would she now leave?
    But, rudely enough, the goddess isn't even asking.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-10-13 at 02:57 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine