New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

Mountain Trip

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Mountain Trip]

"You can observe, if you would like." This isn't actually an obvious choice for Calm Reed. The teachings of the Immaculate martial arts aren't meant to be given lightly. But she trusts Fidelia and she and St. Lazarus are obviously quite close. It won't do any harm. "I have begun teaching you the physical principles of Earth Dragon, Saint Lazarus, but what I am about to say are the... metaphysical underpinnings. My master told me the same thing when I began learning. Here, under a mountain, we are closer to Pasiap." The Immaculate Dragon of Earth, as St. Lazarus will remember (Calm Reed has made no real attempt at converting anyone to her faith but approaches the lessons as they had been taught her in the monastery). "But more practically, there is nowhere to run or evade. If an enemy came upon you here, you would have no choice but to stand and fight." She aims a punch in St. Laz's direction, which she will be able to catch with her sword quite easily (and Calm Reed seems able to parry blades with her bare hands). "Even if the enemy is a demon or Anathema. To stand firm like this mountain and answer the assault with overwhelming force is what the Earth Dragon style means."

Blocking a fist with the flat of a zweihander isn't especially complicated. It's a large blade, and not especially heavy for the undead woman. It's simple enough that she has a moment to contemplate Calm Reed's teachings, to study the words in her mind. To look any demon or dragon or Exalt right in the eyes and say 'No, you move.' There's a world of difference between this and how she used to see combat, where every encounter was a DPS race where her undead fortitude and big sword clumsily tore stuff up until there was nothing left to kill. Up in Skyside, she just counted on her opposition being too squishy and scared to do anything meaningful to her before it was too late. She pushes back against the fist, digging her heels in and keeping herself locked in place. No counterattack, however, as Calm Reed hasn't explicitly said anything about taking a swing at her yet, and she'd rather not venture a guess and get punched fifty feet back for assuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Great Inland Sea]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Caroline closes her eyes and tries to relax, coiling into quite a nice dragony position.

Yes, dear: I have been able to use that sort of magic for quite some time, but I've never had any need to do so.

She gets back up a little less smoothly, still not quite confident in just "letting her body do what it does", but that is mostly a matter of practice. She nods to Cleo

Yes... I think swimming seems like a good idea. I feel like I want to be in the water...

Meanwhile, Keiko grins and slips into the water with barely a splash, her coloration making her fairly nearly invisible from the surface almost immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Steven very nearly copies Keiko's movement, sliding into the water with hardly a sound. Though he doesn't dive deep nearly so fast.
    "If you would prefer Caroline we can stick to the shallows for a little bit." It's a bit safer for the hatchlings anyway. Not that it will stop them.
    Imagine having a new magic power and not trying it out!

Two hatchlings blend into the water very well, just like their mother. One does not, so the others decide they have to chase her, and start up a game of tag. As predicted, they have no concern with staying in shallow water, tails swishing back and forth as they swim here and there.

Kronoa is busy picking up all the best rocks on shore and putting them in a pile.

"It's funny, how just changing shape makes everything seem different."
    Cleo follows them into the sea, deliberatly and not-so-smoothly.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Witch and the Frog Prince]

The bogwitch seems pleased.
    "I'll answer your questions while we set up these experiments."

She brings the glass over to the table, sets the potion rack over to the table nearest Rowan, and then goes looking for a bucket filled with recently-sprouted water lilies (that haven't grown enough to break the surface of the water).
    Having eight tentacles (and two hands) is really convenient when it comes to carrying things.

As she starts filling the jars with water and mud (expecting Rowan to do the same), she explains things.

"You're just overthinking it. We're in a swamp so a frog form will help you feel closer to nature and its natural magic," she says. "Plus, frogs are cute. By better understanding how the animals here work, you'll learn much more quickly, be able to draw out magic more easily, and so on."

The bogwitch starts transferring plants from the bucket into the jars.
    "I actually used the same spell on both of you. It just seems you had a much higher affinity to it, so I imagine you'll be able to pick up drawing magic from the environment much quicker than her. Do you already have experience with that sort of thing, or something?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ogre in the Playground

Witch and the Frog Prince

Rowan sets about helping the witch with her setup.
    "I think if GIIven the choice I'd rather lOOK closer to you. Your tentacles seem practical. There's bog ce-ce-ff" He's clearly trying to say "cephalopods" but his frog mouth isn't cooperating. "-right?" He's fairly sure that's what she is. If she was a sea octopus the murky water here would not be good for her skin.
    "My mOOM may or may nOOt be a faerie incarnation of sUUUmmer. So yes. It's in the blOOOd." he continues.

"Cute or nOOt this CROAKing is driving me crazy."
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Seally Plot]
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    "Maybe they're some kind of elemental, then. Like, how storm elementals are just, like, made of wind and storms, but are also alive," Zophiel says. "Get a powerful enough wind and part if it becomes sentient. Get a powerful enough time freeze and part of it becomes sentient." Basically the same thing, right? That sort of stuff happens all the time.

No other significant changes happen to the rude goddess.

Time passes. Zophiel and Cleo and Anchor have time to do things or leave or whatever.
    Eventually, the rude goddess decides she wants to leave. What point is there in keeping her here, anyway?
    There is no point, that's what. They've done what they wanted, she's done what she wanted, everyone is satisfied.
    She starts mentally preparing herself to leave.
    "Maybe. Frozen time isn't a common element, but it probably would be when there's so much of the stuff." Zophiel's probably right; this sort of thing does happen all the time.

Time goes by. Cleo cleans up the room, puts away most of the magical implements, and eventually says goodbye to Zophiel and goes to check on the children downstairs.

Anchor technically keeps watching the rude goddess, but mostly is reading a book by now.
    If you asked her, she'd say that nothing has changed about the rude goddess, so why would she now leave?
    But, rudely enough, the goddess isn't even asking.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-10-13 at 02:57 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

[Mountain Trip]

"You are strong, Saint Lazarus, but there are many in the Nexus who are stronger. That is also something we have to learn. A young Dragon-Blooded may feel like a Prince of the Earth, but there are Anathema, behemoths and monsters out there that can overpower us. We must hold out for as long as we can and then turn our defence into offence. Strike back as strongly as we held on." That's a fairly clear invitation to counter-attack, on the other hand.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    [Great Inland Sea]

Imagine having a new magic power and not trying it out!

Two hatchlings blend into the water very well, just like their mother. One does not, so the others decide they have to chase her, and start up a game of tag. As predicted, they have no concern with staying in shallow water, tails swishing back and forth as they swim here and there.

Kronoa is busy picking up all the best rocks on shore and putting them in a pile.

"It's funny, how just changing shape makes everything seem different."
    Cleo follows them into the sea, deliberatly and not-so-smoothly.
    Caroline quite literally grew up with magic around every corner, so to her it's like a painter who never bothered to try goauche because oils and acrylics did everything she needed.

Caroline takes a deep breath and slides into the water, splashing quite a lot. Her light colors make her stick out in the water like a glowing beacon, and her first attempts at swimming are an silly parody of a dragon trying to swim like a humanoid would.

She doesn't keep at that long at all, though, before she close her eyes and relaxes. After that, she starts to swim more naturally if a little clumsily.

Kieko gently swims over

There's a couple other points to mention: Don't worry too much about breathing: we can hold our breath overnight with a little practice and a couple of tricks. And we've all been talking more through a sort of telepathy than making sounds with our mouths, so that works just as well underwater as above.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Frescot Residence]

"Y-y'know what, this-- this is not up for debate, Sakura!" Adir finally just laughs, incredulous, but quickly resumes grim sobriety. He looks at her square in the eye. "You are never going to let this kid go. I bet, even if we found out she has some real parents somewhere, you'd still fight me on this. Fine. I'll take that. I can deal. We will... figure it out. But if that's how it's going to be, I am going to make sure she is safe for us to be around. I am going to look into what exactly she is. And she's going to be away from the twins for a few nights. You owe me that. You do not get to force this, push this, and just... force me to accept it! Tell me to sit back, be quiet, and ignore what I feel! It's not happening!"

He finally blinks a few times, spreading his hands at his sides. "Work with me here. Gods, just a little."
    [Frescot Residence]

Sakura's lips remain pressed firmly together. She looks like she's going to fight this to the bitter end. After a moment, though, her expression softens... into a frown. It's a step up. "One week. You can keep her separate at night for that long. You have to figure out what you're gonna figure out before that."

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ogre in the Playground

Great Inland Sea

Steven paddles about, seemingly quite happy with the turn of events.
    "Take as much time as you need, Caroline. We're not in any rush." he assures her. He's definitely not planning on going straight down to the bottom of the lake before Caroline finds her fins.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Halfling in the Playground

[Frescot Residence]

Adir lets out a tense sigh and says, "Alright."

He doesn't have any more to add. He puts on a baggy old shirt in uncharacteristic silence and will leave Sakura alone, unless she stops him for something on the way out. He does not return.

Dad is pretty good at moving sleeping kids around without waking them up, but the Other Cassie or one of her siblings might still notice when he gently lifts her out of bed.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mountain Trip

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Mountain Trip]

"You are strong, Saint Lazarus, but there are many in the Nexus who are stronger. That is also something we have to learn. A young Dragon-Blooded may feel like a Prince of the Earth, but there are Anathema, behemoths and monsters out there that can overpower us. We must hold out for as long as we can and then turn our defence into offence. Strike back as strongly as we held on." That's a fairly clear invitation to counter-attack, on the other hand.

Saint Lazarus nods, twists her blade to the side, and brings the pommel towards Calm Reed's head, swinging it down like a hammer, with enough force to concuss or even crack the skull of a lesser mortal. Calm Reed, fortunately, is no such lesser mortal, and she has the advantage of knowing when the attack is going to happen before it does, since she's the one who asked for it. I'm sure she'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Seally Plot]

Having solved his most pressing problem, Zophiel is suddenly feeling pretty directionless.
    Guess he knows what he needs to think about now.

The paladin hangs out long enough to help clean up or discuss whatever, but leaves before his player has a chance to decide what sort of long-lasting effects would make the most sense for him and would be the most interesting.

The quite rude goddess,
    like a flower bud from snow,
    gets up and stands up.

The rudest goddess,
    without her divinity,
    seems less imposing.

She looks at Anchor
    and the book she is reading,
    then walks to the door.

[Witch and the Frog Prince]

"I've heard of forest octopodes but as far as I know, there's no other bog octopuses," she comments. "Tentacles are rather handy, though, aren't they?"

The bogwitch waves a couple of them to show how handy they are.

Well!
    Seems like she did get a good apprentice, then. With such a close connection to a fairy, he's going to be a pretty good at this sort of thing. "Making deals with fairies is a really effective way to do things above your skill level, so you have a large advantage when it comes to that."

Anyway, back to the important stuff.
    "Some vocal training will really help you.get better at that, I think."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Ogre in the Playground

Witch and the Frog Prince

They lOOK handy but I can't really cONfirm. You know. FrOG." Rowan snarks. Obviously as a frog he can't prove the usefulness of tentacles. Still, rather flatter his boss, right?
    "I don't think making deals is a gOOd idea anyway.
    I cOUld get vocal training. Or I could just nOT be a frOG."

Okay maybe not flattering her too much. He's clearly still bitter about this.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Frescot Residence]

Adir lets out a tense sigh and says, "Alright."

He doesn't have any more to add. He puts on a baggy old shirt in uncharacteristic silence and will leave Sakura alone, unless she stops him for something on the way out. He does not return.

Dad is pretty good at moving sleeping kids around without waking them up, but the Other Cassie or one of her siblings might still notice when he gently lifts her out of bed.
    [Frescot Residence]

Sakura sighs and sits back down on the bed. She doesn't look satisfied or happy when Adir leaves the room, but that's not going to change tonight. She lets him go without comment. There'll be plenty more time for words later.

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

Mountain Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post

Saint Lazarus nods, twists her blade to the side, and brings the pommel towards Calm Reed's head, swinging it down like a hammer, with enough force to concuss or even crack the skull of a lesser mortal. Calm Reed, fortunately, is no such lesser mortal, and she has the advantage of knowing when the attack is going to happen before it does, since she's the one who asked for it. I'm sure she'll be fine.
    Calm Reed catches the blade on her interlocked wrists. It looks easy, but St. Lazarus will notice the effort going into it. It's hard to spot, because part of it is supernatural; the burning elemental Essence coursing through her body. She seems approving of the strength of the blow.

"Good. Now let's keep going, but I'll push you towards the wall of the cave." The monk takes a step forward just as she said. "Feel the stone closing in around you and let it feed into your resolve."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-10-28 at 01:11 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

Honestly nothing special here. Yet another candle-lit basement with a figure in robes entreating a dark being. Normal stuff for Inside. Incense burned, an offering of blood. A request for aid and succor.
    What else is new?
    The only question is if the Queen of Succubi is listening for once.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    This is different than any time this has been attempted before.
    A wavering outline appears in the basement.
    Gradually it coalesces into the shape of a woman. She is clearly otherworldly, with red skin, horns, batlike wings, and a barbed tail. A globe of flame hovers above her head, and she's clad in a gown of flowing flames. She's supernaturally beautiful, of course, but depending on the summoner's expectations, they might be disappointed. She's modestly clad, her metallic black hair is pulled into a ponytail, and she seems slightly surprised to be here. "Uh..."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

The man in robes bows graciously.
    “Good evening, my Lady! I am honored to be graced by your presence! Have you come to bestow knowledge and beauty upon your humble servants?” He asks excitedly.
    Oh boy. Cultists.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    The demon queen looks taken aback. "Oh, uh, I suppose I can do that?" She looks around the room, at the candles, the blood on the makeshift altar, the robed cultist.
    She hopes that's his blood or an animal's blood and not someone else's.
    "What exactly did you, uh, want?"

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

"Oh, well my Lady, I do seek to understand demons, and for that end I would have asked your aid. The blood of a succubus would be of great research value, but other means would also be most gracious.
    and I was told that your favor came with an opportunity of dazzling beauty as well?" he mutters, hopeful. His face is obscured but based on what Sekhmet can see he probably isn't much of a looker now. And if he's summoning her he's probably not the personality either. Though if nothing else the blood is his own. He's not a psychopath.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    "Blood of a succubus, dazzling beauty," Sekhmet thinks aloud. "Uh, I can get you the blood. Bestowing beauty was, uh, my mother's thing more than mine, but, uh, I can probably do it." She thinks. "Why do you, uh, want this? It's, uh, not every day someone summons me." Not at all, actually.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

"I seek understanding, my Lady. Many fear the powers of the Hells and Pits, but they are not things to be feared outright.
    The second thing is just a personal desire, really." says the robed man, tapping his fingers against each other. Asking for beauty doesn't generally have practical purposes.
    "Oh, but I do apologize for taking up your time! Honestly I thought you would just send a servant at best..." Hopefully he isn't smited for his impudence.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    "It's, uh, not much trouble at all, uh, really." Sekhmet replies. "What's your name? And, uh, what would you use the blood of one of my kind for? How do you intend to study my domain through it?" It has some useful properties that she's aware of though. She's still considering what he said about beauty. She could probably fulfill both requests with one spell here, but best to be sure. "And, uh, lastly, of course, uh, what do you have to offer in return?"

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

"Oh, I have been studying the application of demonic and devilish power for mortal arcane purposes. Blood is simply an easier thing to work with than raw Hellish energy at this stage. It's an extremely interesting topic." Of course part of this is to avoid having to make demonic pacts for everything but he wouldn't say that. He's willing to make deals, but why should everyone?
    "Arvis Rallin, at your service, My Lady. And I do mean that truly. For this favor I am your humble servant. Unless you have something else in mind?"

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    He'd really give her his servitude in exchange for a little blood and an appearance upgrade? Sekhmet thinks she can work with that.
    He's not offering his soul, but she doesn't deal in souls anyway.
    "That sounds like a, uh, reasonable deal. She thinks about how to implement the request. "May I see your hand?"

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

To be fair, he didn't specify how long he'd be serving. He was only expecting a month or two. She doesn't seem like the kind of demon to really press the issue or have strong feelings about it.
    "Sure." replies the cultist, extending his hand.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    Sekhmet clasps the offered hand. With her free hand, she runs a claw alongside the inside of Arvis' wrist, then her own. A few drops of his red blood and her black blood intermingle. "The pact is sealed with, uh, blood, for it will be, uh, fulfilled with blood." She tightens her grip slightly. "Next, uh, I provide you with, uh, the beauty you so desire." She concentrates her power and takes control of the blood leaking from her wrist. A ribbon of black blood forces its way into the wound on Arvis' wrist.
    Now, injecting succubus blood into someone's bloodstream would normally have an effect on their appearance. But if that blood came from the Queen of Succubi when she was in her true royal form, and was willingly accepted, the effects wwouldbe far more pronounced.
    In short, Sekhmet has overdone it with Arvis, though she doesn't realize it yet.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

There would be a million red flags in this to anyone sane but luckily cultists don't worry about things like that so instead the man just stands there grinning.
    "So...how long does this take to work, my Lady?" he asks excitedly.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Troll in the Playground

Dim Basement
    "As soon as it, uh, reaches your heart,nI think." No sooner are the words out of Sekhmet's mouth than Arvis begins to change. His hair grows into long, luxurious tresses. He gets shorter and skinnier at first, but then there's a sudden expansion in his chest and hips. Body hair disappears as his limbs become dantier. His face restructures itself, delicate high cheekbones under large, dark eyes. In under a minute, he's gone from a rather unimpressive man to a truly gorgeous woman. But it doesn't stop there. Arvis' now-female body continues to change. The tailbone stretches out into an entire tail ending in a spade-shaped point. Horns sprout from the brow and grow to a notable size immediately. Most impressively, batlike wings sprout from Arvis' back, filling a large part of the basement while unfurled. The complete transformation into a succubus takes very little time at all.

For her part in this, Sekhmet looks very apologetic. She wasn't expecting... All that. "Sorry, sorry! I didn't realize it would make you a succubus! I don't know if I can undo it, sorry!"

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Ogre in the Playground

Dim Basement

Sekhmet's newest minion groans in sharp but brief pain. The robe is already in rather terrible shape between the appendages bursting through it and the vastly different body. Several things are hard-coded into each succubus, including recognition of Sekhmet's title and a feminine identity. But really all this means is that her minion can't be that mad and changes pronouns.
    "...well, that happened. I guess I don't really have a choice now, do I? I am at your command, my Queen. I'll likely need a crash course. And a name. And all that." You can't really study mortal arcane powers as a demon, can you?
    "for the record I had meant I wanted to study demon blood you know, in a container."