New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

The House Always Wins

Edgar gulps. Quick, think of something you can live without!
    Uh.
    ”I wager the second wish granted to me by my lady Nahira, which bestowed upon me this handsome form. She will be quite cross if I lose such a testament to her handiwork.”
    Of course, she will be able to give him a new one. But she won’t have to do what he asks without a wish; he’ll be at her mercy.
    And of course in the meantime he’ll probably go back to being the rather, well immense shape he had before he made it.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

A little figure representing Edgar's current build appears on the table, next to the spider, a fancy scroll, and the crystal staff, and Edgar reverts with a sudden jolt to the form he had before the wish. Hopefully he's prepared for that. Meanwhile, the pony deals out the next hands. Edgar gets two pair, aces and threes, a fairly good hand. Again, the choice of how he wants to play is up to him.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

The House Always Wins

Edgar isn't entirely expecting a drastic change immediately despite having the fashion sense leave him immediately. Part of his outfit tears immediately as he reverts to having the body of a great and mighty prince who has done nothing but lounge and eat food for years without working a day in his life. He looks very well-groomed, but sadly has lost all his muscle and is now incredibly wide and round. His torn outfit still covers his modesty, but not much else.
    Edgar would very much like to look like this for as little time as possible, and presses the round with his half-decent cards clutched in his now noticeably thickened fingers. His displeasure at this turn of events is evident on his face.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

The dragon gives an expression that is probably surprise (but giant reptiles are hard to read). "You wished to change, when you looked like that?" He looks like one of the great kings when she was a wyrmling. When the hand begins in earnest, both Edgar and Aethiiraxa push, and when the time comes to reveal what they have, she has four fours, edging his hand out. She collects her winnings, and then is surprised when as suddenly as Edgar's appearance changed, hers does too. With some confused blinking, the newly human shaped dragon examines herself. She's built like Nahira, tall, curvy, muscular, and a little plump, and wearing exactly as much as she was as a dragon, and apparently not at all ashamed. She's also retained her tail, wings, horns, and draconic eyes. She looks like she's in her late 20s. "Well this is certainly unusual. I think humans are supposed to cover themselves with cloth?" The pony waves a hoof, and an extravagant blue gown materializes around the dragon. "Yes, like that." A second wave causes Edgar's toga to repair itself and fit to his new frame. "Sorry, I should've got it sooner." Of course with his lack of fashion sense, Edgar probably doesn't care. Then new bets are given. Aethiiraxa starts by wagering her title, Countess Arletane, again. The slightly more ordinary woman wagers one of her spellbooks. Apparently she's a wizard. And lastly, the pony wagers a blessing, providing luck in endeavors of romance.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-30 at 07:17 PM.

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar fidgets. "Well, it's look now." he mumbles. It's nice to hear something positive, though. He smiles pleasantly at seeing Aethiir with his wish on. "Well, it looks good on you, too." He's not terribly happy about being stuck like this for the foreseeable future. But...he'll manage.
    "Does this happen often?" he asks the host, wondering how often they have to fix their guests' outfits after changing.
    "Um...I wager my Lady's previous vessel, an ancient vase of great material value. And historical significance!" he decides. Nahira is the kind of person who will probably be very angry if he loses it despite telling him she's sick to death of it.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

Oh, not often. Once there was a guy who wagered his manhood and had to deal with wardrobe malfunctions as a result. But as long as no one wagers something that would change them physically, it doesn't happen." Meanwhile Aethiiraxa smiles a much more human smile at Edgar. "Maybe if you come here again, I'll wear it just for you." The vase appears with the other items on the table and the cards are dealt. Edgar gets a full house this time, three sevens and two jacks.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

”Well when I take your title we might be seeing more of each other.” Edgar teases. With this hand he’s going to push hard. He’s not sure if the last rounds’ winners will want to wager what he’s lost, but he’s fairly sure he will win something with this hand. Only makes sense to try to goad them into raising.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

When Edgar pushes, the wizardess smiles and raises him the boon of cryomancy from the first round. The pony folds, but Aethiiraxa meets the raise with a jewel-encrusted golden suit of armor from her hoard. If Edgar wants to stay in, he'll have to add something as well.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

The House Always Wins

Edgar is as confident as his middle is large. That is to say, very.
    Edgar raises his wager by throwing in his inhuman strength, a boon granted to him as Nahira's guardian.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

At this, the dragon folds. She's evidently not that confident in her hand. The wizard calls Edgar's bluff, and it is revealed that her two aces do not beat his full house. Edgar wins the hand, and, as a result wins a number of things. The title Countess (or Count if you prefer) Arletane and matching papers of nobility and a deed to the county of Arletane a short trip from Inside. A shiny and very valuable suit of armor. A spellbook, containing a variety of arcane magics, and a pair of blessings, one which makes him very aware of the cold, so aware that conjure ice, and other chilly things, resist the cold, and to bend it to his will, and another blessing, much less material. Success in matters of love and romance. How that will manifest remains to be seen. The items he can't carry have appeared at his dwelling. He is congratulated by the other players. Well done. And now he's played the three hands, so he's free to go if he wishes... Or he could keep playing, maybe bet some of the less desirable items he won?

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar considers it. He has the spellbook. It’s not worth anything to him. Like giving a manual on particle colliders to a high-schooler.
    ”If you kind ladies would mind my presence for one more round, I would not mind as I have at least one thing I can wager again.” the host is probably not a real lady but their current shape is so his tongue slips.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"Of course. We've all been here far longer than three rounds, but we have a lot to bet." "We're probably going to call it quits soonish, because those two're mostly just betting things they already won." "Speaking of which, for this upcoming round, I'd like to bet the grace I won what was it, eight rounds ago?" The wizard settles back in her chair a little awkwardly as a ball of quicksilver materializes on the table. The pony laughs at this and wagers the services of a professional photography imp. And the dragon adds in a magical palanquin that carries itself.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-10-31 at 02:30 AM.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar nods.
    "Alright, last round then. If it's what's in style, I'll bet the spellbook I just won." Harmless enough. He's not sure it'll sell for much without finding a very specific buyer.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Burglarizing for JUSTICE!]

At the main entrance...

The cube bobs up and down briefly in what is probably a nod. "I say, that'd be awfully sporting of you, my friend! If you'd be so kind as to open the doors, then I can merrily blast away any crooks that present themselves to us. Rather a bother you see, for the longest time I had no idea what my different faces did, but nowadays I know that some of them are quite lethal!"

Seemingly content and assurred that Wren is on the level, Cubert starts floating across the drawbridge, assuming he'll follow along. What awaits them is the first of many insurpassable obstacles for the poor cube - a heavy wooden door with an old black iron handle.

Meanwhile, round the back...

Aside from a faint amount of blue still leaking out of the third floor, the fort remains silent. Cantata's careful positioning of the rope means they have easy access to second or third floor windows, or the roof, without being spotted before they look inside. Take your pick.

Burglars for JUSTICE!

Cantata looks a little disappointed, but acknowledges Fayyaad with a nod. Seems like they'll have to do this the less subtle way. Clipping the device on the rope to her belt, she reaches up and begins to climb, motioning for Fayyaad to stay if he attempts to follow. If she's got to swing over to the window, it won't do to have someone else beneath her.

Cantata will move to check the second window, and then the third if everything looks all clear and not worthy of any note. The third is more active and probably not a wise choice of entry, but better to know of any danger than get caught unawares. Although she'll be more cautious with the third.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2020-10-31 at 12:43 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

Edgar is dealt queen high. A poor hand. The pony looks cool and confident, the dragon looks aggressive, and the wizard looks a little nervous. He could bluff, or he could try to play the hand he's dealt.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar has nothing to lose. So why not keep going? He plants his elbows on the table with a wide grin.
    "You know, I dare say I've been here for rather a while and I don't think I've been really properly introduced to any of you. really." he says as he bluffs his metaphorical pants off that everything is fine and he has nothing to worry about.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Halfling in the Playground

[The Enchanted Forest]

Adir advances over the redcap's remains as easily as... well, stepping over trash. He fires several carefully sighted bursts after the clot of mist, just in case the little bastard simply cast a glam' on himself instead of actually becoming mist. He strides carefully down the side of the road, a burst punctuating each step. It's only after Owlteeth's gone or drops dead that Adir swivels on the horse.

"Great," he says with very little enthusiasm. "But I bet this isn't the first time that has happened. How do you guys usually find kids that get into the woods?"

"Actually," he starts back toward the wagon, the joints in his plate-rig creaking. "Hold that thought." He doesn't feel he needs to threaten the horse about staying put. Violence being the punishment for noncompliance should be implicit at this point. He holsters his weapon and stoops down to look at the first cage he reaches.

"I'm sorry about that," he raises his voice to tell the kids. He pushes his ballistic mask up off his face to show them he's just a person. Not even a scary looking one! But there's something bad in his eyes... "I'm sorry. Don't be scared. I know that probably hurt your ears. Can you hear me okay?" he asks. He looks at the locks. He's strong enough to overturn a car with some effort. Can he simply break them with his hands, or is gonna need a tool? Maybe a key off one of the bodies?
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"I am Aethiiraxa, queen of the Rending Mountains," The dragon says, "And your new neighbor, considering you won one of my outlying provinces. So I'll hopefully be seeing you more soon, count..." She waits to hear what Edgar's name is. "As you've seen, I'm not usually so small and squishy, so this is an interesting change of pace. The pesky adventurer to my right is" "I can introduce myself, thank you. I am Melia, an archmage of some repute. My tower lies on the southern side of the city, if you are in need of my services." "And I think you know who I am," the pony finishes.
    As for the game, Melia folds quickly, but neither of the others seem too convinced by Edgar's bluff, but neither of them have called it either. Is there something he could say to convince them that he really has a good hand? Or will he choke and lose this round?

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #289
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Enchanted Forest]

Bullets go zipping through the flog cloud, resulting in some pretty unmistakably meaty noises. The fog slowly dissipates, revealing a heap of trash and the goblin's staff.

Looks like he was just trying to sneak away. Didn't work out that great, it would appear.

"Ah, well, we don't," the horse replies. "Forest ain't that safe further you get from the road. Fulla beasts, y'see. Fine fae like meself's the dreams of mortal folk. But the wild parts of the Forest? That's fulla the dreams of animals. Wild things that'r naught but hunger."

He gives his mane a shake.

"Not that the slavin' thing is much up to me. I was in ol' Owlteeth's debt. Not anymore, by the by," the horse adds. He's a free horse now!

Then?

The horse watches Adir as he approaches the children. Several are crying. One is watching him carefully. The cages look like they're made of wicker and wood. Not particularly sturdy things, but when Adir grabs them he'll discover they're as tough as steel. The oldest child nods when Adir asks his question. "We were having a birthday sleepover and an ugly black monster came and started grabbing us."

Then the child lowers his voice and practically whispers.

"Will was kicking and hitting the ugly monsters and they f-fed him to the horse."

At that the horse's ear flicks back, then forward again, shortly follow by a deep sigh.

"Now why'dja have to go and tell that?" the horse laments.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"Winchester. Edgar Winchester. Now, I can't say I would expect myself back terribly often. I know that I probably won't be able to keep wagering all these things and keep Nahira's ambitions afloat. But I am glad that this will be ending on a good note for me. Would anyone like to raise or are we ending this here?" he asks smoothly clicking one paw's claws on the table with some false impatience.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

[Burglars for JUSTICE!]

Fayyaad stays on the ground and watches Cantata's back in case it's needed. She seems to know what she's doing.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

The two watch Edgar warily. "You're bluffing..." Aethiiraxa says, "... You're not bluffing. I fold." The pony smiles. "I call." She turns over her hand... Jack high.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-11-01 at 09:26 PM.

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar slaps his cards on the table excitedly. Unfortunately, he hasn't won any grace yet, and the new-ish distribution of his weight sends him tumbling as he suddenly leans forward. But only after his hand lands on the table. He's quick to pick himself up. His supernatural strength keeps his size from slowing him down. But it's still cumbersome.
    "Well, looks like we both had garbage. But slightly different garbage." he says as he dusts himself off and sits down as if absolutely nothing happened.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [The Underground]

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    2-3 Generations might be enougth. Without any documentation it's still hard and mouth to mouth looses details.
    The pronounces comes from the name, but i guess our language isn't made to fit anon gender person. Even some things got a gender specific article in german.

If I get that correctly those machines seem to be in a good shape or at least in a shape that allows them to fullfill their basic function like lightbulbs that are not broken or screens still intace, laser able to fire etc. Mia will try to use the echo and find directions to get a path inside, but on her way she turns to Spike.

"Can you tell me what you expect from me? I can feel that the ship is broken. For now I don't think it will fly in the near future."
    Yes, some of the machines are broken, but plenty are still intact. The echoes show that the ship is mostly buried. They would need to dig through the dirt up ahead, or crawl through that vent off to the right and remove some panels from the inside.
    "We hope you can find information in the ship's electronics, about where it came from and why, or at least take bits of working machinery out of it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"Well played!" Edgar finds himself now endowed with supernatural grace, which should make up for his bulky form quite nicely. He also gets a self-carrying palanquin and a photographer imp, whatever that is."Care for another hand?"

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

The House Always Wins

Edgar was almost hoping that the magic chair would appear under him. That’s fine. He can get home just fine.
    ”No I think that’s quite enough from me. I’ll see if I can’t make my fortune the old fashioned way with the head start I’ve bought here. You’ve been a lovely host.” He says with a bow, already showing off his winnings as he bends down without falling over.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"My pleasure. Come again if you ever feel like it." "I'll see you again soon, hopefully."

The door Edgar entered through leads right back to where he left, but a stack of packages are now stacked next to the teahouse door, the physical items he won. A little horned, winged, creature with a camera around his neck is reclining atop the packages. "Hey. You the new boss?"

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar waves to his opponents and heads through the portal.
    Oh, hello ludicrously powerful and/or expensive items. Hello imp.
    "I suppose that I am. I would presume you to be the imp mentioned?" he asks. His belly grumbles loudly as he looks over the packages presumably containing the spellbook, palanquin, and armor. With his inhuman strength it will be little trouble, and yet he finds himself already wondering if soon he'll have people for this.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

The House Always Wins

"You betcha, boss. Name's Pith. I'm here for all your photographical needs." He holds up his camera and a fancy bag full of lenses, tripods, and similar implements. "You need anything, just call my name. Otherwise, I'll be around." He vanishes in a puff of smoke.

The boxes come in three sizes, a very large one which is presumably the palanquin, a human sized one for the armor, and a small one for the book. If Edgar unpacks the palanquin first, he could probably use it to carry the other items.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

[The House Always Wins]

Edgar has the strength of ten men regardless of what he physically looks like. He waves to the space the imp used to be and then hauls the things inside. He'll have to tell Nahira the good news.
    And take a tour of his new land. He wonders what it will look like...