New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Temple of Inari?]

"I'm Arlem, the priest at the temple of Inari. You came to us for help with the kumiho." He sounds like he's off behind her, a little further away.
    "You managed to mess up the ritual and have gotten a bit lost."
    "Come back towards my voice."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

Temple? of Inari?

Jade stands up and walks off towards the voice. "The temple of who? Help with the what?" The last thing she clearly remembers was that huge fox monster clawing at her chest. "Am I dead?" This isn't what she expected of the afterlife. Does getting killed by a fox mean she's sent to some sort of fox-afterlife? That would explain the tail, but it seems strange. She perplexedly runs a hand through her hair, and discovers her ears, not where she expects them on the sides of her head, but foxlike, sticking out of the top. "Why am I part fox?" She sort-of remembers being all fox at one point, running through the forest on all fours, but it feels dreamlike and unreal. "Seriously, what's going on here?"
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-04-04 at 03:08 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #513

Default [Temple of Inari]

As Jade turns and walks, she's liable to trip and fall and find herself right where she started, sitting on the floor of the warded room, but this time, the priest is there in front of her.
    "Inari is the goddess of rice and foxes, and-"
    "My, that's a lot of questions."

"You died about six months ago. It was complicated. Now you're alive again."
    That's the sort of thing people often have strong reactions to, so he pauses there before explaining any more.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

Jade stumbles and finds herself sitting. It's weird, almost like she's dreaming. "What? How? Why bring me back?" Okay, so the tail and ears are side effects of being resurrected by a fox goddess. That makes sense. At least now she can see who she's talking to. "So what now?"

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #515

"How? By magic. I assure you, you will be happier not knowing the details."
    But if Jade insists, she can probably find out.

"Why, because we're here to help people, and dealing with the kumiho - that's the sort of corrupted fox spirit that attacked you - was to everyone's benefit."
    The priest offers her a hand to help get up.

"Now you get back to living. It seems you've forgotten a few things."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

Jade takes Arlem's hand to get up. "So what does that have to do with bringing me back?" She's still very unsure of what's going on. "I don't know? Is there anything I should be remembering? I don't think I've forgotten anything." She looks herself over. "So the ears and tail are a side effect? And memory loss?" She gives herself a close examination. "I don't feel like I've been dead. Actually, it looks like I've been working out recently." Seriously, she's not sure what's going on. "So you brought me back. I assume that means you need me for something? Otherwise, you wouldn't need to resurrect me just to kill the thing that killed me."

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #517

From here, he opens the door, the sun streams in, and they can head outside.
    "The one that killed you was already dead. But when it killed you, another kumiho was created. And that one, at most times, it believed that it was you. And has been living your life, speaking to your friends, working with your brother, etc. While also secretly stealing corpses to feed on."
    Arlem shakes his head.
    "We don't need anything except a few minor things you've forgotten, and yes, the ears, tails, missing memories are also side effects of something you've forgotten. At the end, you were too afraid, too attached to who you are, to come back normal."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #518
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

Jade nods along, not really getting anything...
    Imagine a record scratch.
    "Hold up. I don't have a brother! I'm an only child!" Is this something she's forgotten? That seems like something she would remember. "That doesn't seem like a few small things I've forgotten." That takes all her attention, so she doesn't really listen to the other stuff. But maybe if she did, the fact that Arlem said "tails" instead of "tail" would have registered. That seems like a significant difference. Or a slip of the tongue.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #519
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mountain Trip

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Mountain Trip]

"I have not heard of anything particularly dangerous in these woods." Certainly nothing that could threaten her, but she'll tactfully not mention that. As the trio continue their hike, they eventually come to what must be their destination. The trees become more sparse as they come up to a steeper, rocky slope, which opens up into what looks like a modestly-sized cave. There's the sound of splashing water and singing birds somewhere in the distance. The forest is as busy as any wood in spring. "Well, here we are. There seems to be enough space in front of the cave, so let us pitch our tents here and go explore it. It is hard to say from here much much room there is inside."
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Mountain Trip

"And, uh, even if we do run into something bad, it might be good training anyways." It doesn't occur to Fi that the kind of scenario Jenette is thinking about involves getting caught unawares when you're usually prepared for practice. She falters behind, rather taken by the picturesque sight. That cave still didn't look terribly inviting in person, but it was hard to deny how stunning the scenery around it appeared.

"We won't need to do any, um..." she takes a second to recall the word. "spelunking, right?"

Jenette closes her eyes and focuses as she takes a few steps ahead of the others. She tries her best to sense what lies in wait in the darkness ahead, but with all the birds singing and water splashing not far off, it's more or less a complete waste of time. Even if she did have incredible supernatural zombie senses (she doesn't), there's just too much noise behind her, and too much of a confusing echo ahead.

"We should probably make sure we're not breaking into some bear's house, at the very least," she points out, perching her hands on her hips as she peers into the darkness. If any grizzlies want to make an issue of their borrowing of this cave, they've got some seriously supernatural fists to contend with.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

10. - Top - End - #520

"Sorry, I may have misspoke. You've forgotten a lot of things, but most of them have nothing to do with the temple."
    They head out of the warded chamber, back to the gardens (which Jade is once again seeing for the first time).
    "As for a brother, you do now. He's a copy of your past self, I understand. Goes by 'Jason'."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

"Well, that's... weird, I guess." Jade answers. She'll meet her "brother" soon enough, probably. "Back to the other topic. Are there any other side effects I need to know about? Am I even human anymore?" A moment passes. "And do you have any tail grooming tips?" she jokes. She's not sure what to do with her new appendage. It's going to be weird sitting down with it for a while.

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    The Golden Kettle

Well. Edgar went back to his old apartment to get things taken care of the first day Nahira made the Kettle, and then he got distracted going to Arletane. He realizes he hasn't seen the room Nahira made for him.
    He knows he will have to explain everything eventually but he really doesn't want to do it now. Maybe if he's careful he can get to his room without her knowing. Given his supernatural grace and the fact that he is a tiger, he is surprisingly sneaky for someone of his size...
    Unfortunately, he's hampered by the fact that he doesn't know where he's going and the fact that if Nahira made any of the arches too small, he very well may get stuck.
    Sure enough, pushing through the arches will likely result in Edgar becoming stuck!

Meanwhile, from elsewhere, a melodic voice calls forth. "Edgar, is that you? I've need of you, come quick!"

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Well that was inevitable. But maybe he can still make himself presentable if he-
    Um. Well. Uh.
    No, he's gotten his bulk wedged firmly between the arches. He'd say he should have gone around but he couldn't really have done that either. Curse Nahira and Aethii liking these hips.
    "Um. My Lady? I'm sorry but could you spare a moment to help me with the architecture? I've gotten myself stuck on your nice decorations." he sighs.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2021-04-06 at 03:51 PM.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

14. - Top - End - #524
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Blind Date]

June had downloaded a Nexus Blind Date app earlier, and decided to check it out.
    Knows nothing about who the other person will be.

(June is a redhead, looks pretty androgynous, and is actually made of mushroom even though that's completely unrelated. Only will be able to tell by watching joints or grabbing June's arm and bending it, or something.)

June actually has no idea at all who the other person will be, or even if they will show up. Guess that's the disadvantage of a blind date app.

June goes and sits down at a table, waiting.

This place is a smoothie shop. Perfect place for a blind date, because it's neutral, doesn't take too much commitment but leaves it open for more in case they hit it off. At least, that's June's opinion. The place was selected by the app, anyway, so, really, June knows nothing at all about it. Really regretting not doing any background research on this place beforehand.

June waits.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

[Mountain Trip]

"We will not need to explore it very far. Just enough for St. Lazarus to train," Calm Reed says as she joins the knight at the mouth of the cave. The darkness beyond is quiet, except for the sound of dripping water somewhere. There's also no distinct smell to it. "If anything bigger than a bat lives here, we ought to discover its signs pretty quickly."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

16. - Top - End - #526

[Temple of Inari]

"Well, you were supposed to be human."
    Arlem shakes his head.
    "I'm not trying to blame you for messing up the ritual, which you don't remember. But it did happen, and now you seem to be a kitsune, a normal fox spirit. You'll have most of the same things to worry about as a human, and there are classes here where you can catch up on the details. And if you end up lost in an otherworld of eternal summer, don't panic, and try to keep yourself healthy."

For her joke, he gives an accurate but lighthearted answer. "Wash and dry thoroughly, and use a stiff-bristled brush, and you'll be as fluffy as possible."

[Blind Date]

For various reasons, Mei has been sent to the place specified by this Nexus Blind Date app.
    Sure, last time Mei tried something like this, the venue ended up in flames and she ended up fighting a bank robber but not managing to stop them from escaping, which set the stage for a disaster much later. But what are the odds that something like that happens twice?

(Mei has black hair, and appears very average, with a build and face that allows you to think 'yeah, that's a human over there'. No reason to suspect anything else.)

She's checking her phone repeatedly on the way in, to make sure this is the right place, right time. This newfangled technology is so hard to use. It would be better if you heard the place and time from a person, wouldn't it? Rather than this impersonal app.

A smoothie shop is an odd choice for such a meeting. After all, what does it prove? But then, it is neutral, which has its own benefits.
    And she's never had a smoothie before, so that at least should be interesting.

She glances around, checks the phone one more time, and then sits down at June's table. This must be it.
    "Hi!"
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2021-04-07 at 07:51 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

Jade doesn't know at all what a kitsune is. "Classes? About what?" Is she going to have to go back to school because of this magic nonsense? Not that she minds. She's good at school. "I don't feel like a spirit." She seems pretty solid, as far as she can tell, "What should I expect? Does your goddess have some sort of claim on me now?" It's a good question. Being resurrected must come with a cost, right? Especially if she's now a supernatural being and not a normal person.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #528

"You know, your nature, magic, and so on."

Ah, there's the same suspicious Jade.
    "Perhaps as a sort of default, but you should still be able to do what you want with yourself without any extra divine interference. Though that does remind me, there are some expectations that you have, of course, forgotten..."
    Jade should receive, with a sort of distance to them that makes it obvious magic is involved in transferring the knowledge, memories of her agreeing to make a donation, do good deeds, and look after a garden.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Unfortunately for Edgar, Nahira isn't particularly sympathetic.

It's not that she was simply heartless, it was more that concerns over spatial matters were simply never a concern of hers.

The djinn calls out from the room beyond once more. "Oh, you'll figure it out dear! Now, hurry! I have something very important to tell you!"

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Edgar tries in vain to dislodge the arch from his hips. Oh, sod it. She can just conjure a new one. Edgar steps forward, shattering the thing to splinters. He's round, but his immortal strength is not diminished. Actually he thinks being scaled up might have increased it.
    Nahira's massive and barely-clothed servant trots into the room, annoyance having replaced his trepidation.
    "What is it, my Lady?" he asks, his tone of feigned politeness perfected through years of working retail.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

"Hey, now wait a minute," Jade replies to the sudden addition of memories, "How do I know you didn't fake these?" They seem real to her, and it seems like something she'd agree to, but she's still just as suspicious as Arlem expects. "I'm willing to pay that price, but I need to know I can trust you." With a wave of her tail, she continues. "So tell me about these classes. When do they start?"

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #532
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Blind Date]

Oh! Yeah!
    That's a human over there.
    Looks very human.
    June was actually a little nervous that there would be some kind of starfish alien, or an eldritch foxlike creature, or something with a mouth inside its mouth that reproduces by sticking eggs inside people.
    But! It's a human. The redhead is pretty glad that Mei isn't a two-mouthed starfish chestmonster foxthing.

June considers pulling out a phone too, to double-check, but...the app didn't exactly have a name or a definitive description. Mei seems confident enough that this is right, so it's got to be it. No need to check on the app.

"Hi!" June says. "I'm June. This is, um...well, this is my first time doing something like this, so. . .well, hi. Nice to meet you." Feels a little awkward, so maybe they need a way to break the ice, the redhead thinks. "But, jeez, it's been a while since I've last had a smoothie." Ice...broken? maybe?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

23. - Top - End - #533

[Temple of Inari]

"Of course. But why would I do that?" Arlem muses. "You seem very suspicious that people would try to help you. Although you seem to get away with helping people yourself."

"Monday, two hours before noon. Your case is, well, unique, so it will be a bit unusual for you, but there's always other people who are starting from square one."

[Blind Date]

Well, often she is eldritch and alien. But neither a starfish nor a fox, so it's all good, right?

June seems to be a human with weird joints, which is fine.
    "Nice to meet you as well. Since we just met, you can call me 'Rhin'." Mei explains. "I haven't found the time to meet people recently, so this is new to me as well."
    She hops right back up from the table at the mention of the smoothies. "Let's get the smoothies then. Could you recommend one to me?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #534
    Troll in the Playground

Temple of Inari

"Paranoia comes with my job description." Jade will not elaborate on what job that is. "I guess I'll be back then. Unique... How, exactly?"
    Last edited by bc56; 2021-04-08 at 12:51 AM.

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Sure enough, the arch simply crumbles apart before Edgar.

The room beyond is quite luxurious, cheerfully decorated with colorful tapestries and hanging beads. Masterfully crafted wicker furnishings rest up against the walls and patterned rugs adorn the clean floors. Nahira herself rests upon a bed of cushions, currently picking at a plate of fresh fruit.

Once Edgar enters, she beams! The djinn was quite happy to see her favorite servant. "Oh good, you're here! I can't decide between orchid or patchouli. What do you think?"

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Well. Apparently Nahira either hasn't noticed his state of dress and being, or does not care.
    That kind of checks out, actually.
    "I would say Orchid, my Lady." answers the count of Arletane, and for very good reasons!
    Namely, he has absolutely no idea what a patchouli is.
    "I uh, hope you're doing well this evening."

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Nahira nods before flicking her heavily ornamented fingers.

In an instant, the incense which burns within the chamber vanishes, only to be replaced.

"Mm, good choice dear! Orchid does so compliment my natural aesthetic." With a raised brow, she finally looks over her servant. Was something different about him? No, surely not. "Hm. Have you gotten fatter, my pet?"

"Or perhaps it's your hair? Hm."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Edgar sighs. On the plus side, Nahira's lack of brains means that he looks better and can maybe avoid being totally trampled by her. On the downside, he admits he's not terribly clever himself. He huffs down onto her pile of cushions, trying to adjust his makeshift garment and shaking his burgeoning middle.
    "I have most definitely gotten fatter, My Lady. Do you still think I look good fat? I think it's kind of my thing now." He's going to have to dump the whole story on her, isn't he? He's going to have to.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

If anything, the djinn seems confused by Edgar's question.

"Good?" she mutters airily, her focus elsewhere. "Whatever do you mean, dear?"

"Really, as opposed to what? Or who? I can't say." She stares off somewhere past Edgar's shoulder before continuing. "Oh, I need you to get something for me, dear."

"It's very important."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

The Golden Kettle

Edgar blinks. "Well, when you made me huge you said you'd made me look impressive and royal and desirable. You still think I am, right?" Has she been hitting the pipe again? Does that even do anything to her?
    "Um. I kind of just got here. But what is it, my Lady?" This is going to be strange, isn't it?