New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

[Greater Wood Tomb]

I can be both, you know.

Then you are fully aware of your voice and its ability to provoke annoyance. Comes another, feminine voice from elsewhere in the tomb. After all, you must be able to sense the irritation which invariably arises from your words.

Nobody asked... you...

Wait, who is that?

Huelwen of House Arnbaith, Lady of Sunlight and Rightful Queen of Maesda. You are in my tomb.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Hm. That's-Hm.
    "Hey Gwas, the Lady is talking, should I be worried?" Mina calls.
    Why does she think this is cause for alarm?
    Because Mina knows what the word "oubliette" means. It's something you put very bad things in.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #1233

[Greater Wood Tomb]

"Let her talk." Gwas replies, emerging from the room, putting on a tunic over his grass-stained shirt. Aside from those, he was also wearing a pair of dark britches and knee-high boots, the latter of which end with silver tips on the toes. "She can't really do any damage with her words. As long as you have the good sense not to release her, she's harmless."

"Harmless"?! Ignorant squire, I commanded armies such as Maesda has not seen before or since! I felled Lords previously thought unassailable! I razed cities and castles impenetrable! I did the impossible and rallied the fiendlings into a fighting force, united in their common enemy! Were it not for our loss of momentum in Redmont, my campaign would have led to the unification of the world, and he calls me harmless!
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-06 at 10:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

”That’s nice.” Mina says, in the exact way someone says that sentence when a family member starts talking about politics at dinner.
    ”You look nice, Gwas. But it is summer just so you know. Might be hot with that extra layer. Oh right. Um. Your master. Did you ah, give them a burial? I could help.” She figures he probably did but it not she can’t just sit around while some poor soul is lying in a back room after being murdered.

5. - Top - End - #1235

[Greater Wood Tomb]

"There was nothing to bury." Gwas says sadly. "After the moroi killed him, his corpse fell not far from where you're standing now. It burned to ash. There's nothing left of him."

Which is a shame. I would have preferred the honor of killing him myself, when I am finally free of this place. Now I will have to be content with the destruction of his squire, who will not match my martial prowess, even without my sword. Release me now and I may spare you, child.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-06 at 10:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Aww. Mina wants desperately to give him a hug but she doesn’t think he’d want one from someone he met ten minutes ago.
    ”I’m sorry for your loss, Gwas.”
    Though something does occur to her,
    ”Just making sure, Sai. This couldn’t be the source of our whole demon invasion thing, could it?” She did say she had an army of fiendlings.

7. - Top - End - #1237

[Greater Wood Tomb]

It's not impossible, but putting aside for a minute that imprisoned evils always seem to break free sooner or later, she seems a bit... neutered, as a threat. No weapon, far away from whatever army she did command, and no way to retrieve them. She might break loose within the next few hundred years, but the timing is off for her to be our demon army's leader. Sai explains.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-07 at 08:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina shrugs. "Well, okay. But I can still call Vigil sometime to see if they can't give you some relief, Gwas. You're not going to just sit here the rest of forever, are you? I mean, I do assume there's a reason they stuck her down here with you instead of- you know. Getting an axe." She's pretty sure an axe would be more efficient than all this tomb stuff, and it's not her inner/outer minotaur that's coming from.

9. - Top - End - #1239

[Greater Wood Tomb]

"Lady Huelwen is far too powerful to be executed." Gwas nods toward the grate. "All attempts at doing so thus far have failed, and our king, Lord Arnbaith the Unbroken, has forbidden any further attempts on her life. Her minions are another story, however. My master and I were placed here to foil any fiendlings who may still be loyal enough to her to attempt a rescue." He leans up against the wall and sighs. "Given how disastrous her escape would be, yes, it was my intent to stay here 'forever', or at least until I lose my mind. If you have a relief force available, I would appreciate their contribution."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

"Well that won't do. You'll starve staying here alone. Owena never really gave me a good idea of how often you people need to eat but I know the answer is at least Sometimes." she pulls out her phone.
    "I can use this to call for help....
    ...but it's kind of intended for fingers with skin, which I no longer have. Could you help me dial? We'll need to go up the stairs a little; there's no way I'll get reception this far underground."

Presumably they can do that without issue- unless Gwas wants her to explain what it is she just said.

11. - Top - End - #1241

[Greater Wood Tomb]

At this point, Gwas knows better than to challenge anything the magic minotaur lady is saying to him. This tiny tablet can call for help? Okay. They need to go upstairs to do it? Sure, why not. She needs him to do it because something's wrong with her fingers? Whatever she says. He's so far past this situation making sense that he just goes with it.

"...You keep mentioning that name." He finally says, as they approach the stairs. "You say she's a friend of yours from our homeland? How did you meet?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

"Uh yeah, Owena Ty-Maldwin. We met at the library one night. Thought she was dying but it was just something she gets monthly. Her uncle Kyrie had to come in and haul her out of there.
    Okay so press the one that says 'emergency' and then the one that says 'intersection.'"
    She points at the little icons on the phone screen. She taps at it herself but it still has trouble sensing her fingers through her coat.

13. - Top - End - #1243

[Greater Wood Tomb]

Gwas looks at Mina, dumbstruck, needing a moment to process everything she just said. Realizing she'd given him instructions on using the phone, he jolts back to reality and quickly complies. "Sorry, sorry... it's just... small world, you know?" He smiles. "I knew an Owena growing up. A couple of years behind me. Never did learn much about her family, but she did like to read. A little ornery, though." He chuckles and hands Mina the phone, which is now dialing Intersection.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-07 at 12:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina chuckles.
    ”That is funny. That would make you…Nineteen? Twenty?”
    After a few seconds she holds up a finger as she connects.
    ”Hello, Intersection? I’d like to report a sealed evil in a can? Yes, still sealed. Uh, vampire warlord from the sound of it. Used to have demon army. Great, thanks. Yes you can track this call.” She seems to just be standing there on the line. She’s also talking rather loudly. Mostly because her mouth is supposed to be near the mouthpiece but is a good ways past it thanks to her muzzle.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [Greater Wood Tomb]

Not too terribly long after, the noise of a large air vehicle can be heard rapidly approaching, even underground. There is a strange, high-pitched sound that repeats five times, followed by five sets of loud footsteps that descend into the tomb.

as they near, very bright lights that apparently swing with footsteps sway dizzyingly. A voice calls out before the voice's owner is quite visible.

Hello? Hello? This is Intersection high risk rapid response. We received a call from this location.

16. - Top - End - #1246

Default Re: [Greater Wood Tomb]

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Greater Wood Tomb

Mina chuckles.
    ”That is funny. That would make you…Nineteen? Twenty?”
    After a few seconds she holds up a finger as she connects.
    ”Hello, Intersection? I’d like to report a sealed evil in a can? Yes, still sealed. Uh, vampire warlord from the sound of it. Used to have demon army. Great, thanks. Yes you can track this call.” She seems to just be standing there on the line. She’s also talking rather loudly. Mostly because her mouth is supposed to be near the mouthpiece but is a good ways past it thanks to her muzzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    Not too terribly long after, the noise of a large air vehicle can be heard rapidly approaching, even underground. There is a strange, high-pitched sound that repeats five times, followed by five sets of loud footsteps that descend into the tomb.

as they near, very bright lights that apparently swing with footsteps sway dizzyingly. A voice calls out before the voice's owner is quite visible.

Hello? Hello? This is Intersection high risk rapid response. We received a call from this location.
    [Greater Wood Tomb]

"Er... yes." Gwas watches them enter, astounded by their arms and vestaments. Conceptually, it wouldn't be anything new; armor plating and projectile weapons were both staples of Maesdan tactical gear. But these guys were a few hundred, possibly thousand, years ahead of him, and theirs was going to be vastly superior, unless magic made up the difference.

Well, Mina did call them on a magic tablet. What else was he expecting, really?

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina waves. The troopers should find one robed female minotaur and one male pseudo-minotaur in a tunic. The troopers might have some trouble squeezing past them.
    "Yeah that's us! Please be careful, there's no handrails in this place." The last line of defense against the lady breaking out is hoping she falls down the stairs.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Pixie in the Playground

Two firebats and two marines squeeze inside along with a medic who does their best to not fall down the stairs. The medic being the least oversized, she is the only one who comes forward to Gwas and Mina

Hello, Miss. Do you have any additional details on this situation?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-08 at 01:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina takes a step back so Gwas can take the lead here.
    "Gwas has been the guardian of this tomb for the last few years, I'm sure he can give details better than I can."
    Wow these guys are big. They're definitely going to have to go back to one of the side rooms to let these guys pass.

20. - Top - End - #1250

[Greater Wood Tomb]

Gwas nods slowly. "Miss... Mina, was it? She covered most of the immediately relevant information. Lady Huelwen did indeed command a demon army, and is indeed entombed here. She can communicate telepathically; if you hear a voice in your head telling you to open the coffin under the grate, don't listen to it. That beam of light you see is a close approximation of sunlight; it should hold her back temporarily in the event that she breaks free. And if you must attempt lethal force, aim for the heart; nothing else will do permanent harm."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Pixie in the Playground

The medic nods

We take this sort of undead situation very seriously. Our suits are fully blessed and negative-shielded and all of our floodlights and the firebats' flamers are enchanted with positive energy as well.

Having read back in the thread a bit now, I'm going to assume that the troopers have been caught up with the situation. The medic shines a laser rangefinder around the room while the others look bored.

Honestly? I think it would be safest to just fill the place with holy-water high strength concrete. This little room's big enough that with a little effort, even a direct hit from high-yield ordinance wouldn't break her out.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina does her best to not look too uncool leaning on her makeshift staff around a bunch of power armor troopers. Then again given that she's a seven foot bovine-person in immaculate shape the fact that she's leaning on it is odd enough.
    "Oh. Well Gwas, if you have anything of yours or your master's you want to save you're gonna want to grab it now. Maybe we should leave things in Intersection's hands for a bit? Oh, but this is the only place for you to sleep, isn't it? We'll have to find you somewhere to live. Um. Mom should let you stay for a bit..."
    They also both need full wardrobe updates but neither actually has the money for that.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Frescot Residence]

"Trying to protect her!? I had to kill people tonight, Sakura! For us! For her! I did it... for Cassie. My priority... is my Cassie. I understand this has shaken you up... it's shaken me up, too. But our priority needs to be our children. Ours." Adir looks at her, completely frustrated, voice all a-quaver. "And we don't know what she is. We can't."

"If I'm wrong, then tell me how I'm wrong. Tell me how you know these things that I don't." The stag looks down. "Tell me how you know things you can't possibly know. Tell me that and we'll do this your way. Whatever you want."
    [Frescot Residence]

"My priority is Cassie too; both Cassies, and all our kids. I don't pick any favourites just because it's difficult." Sakura rebuts firmly. "This Cassie is your child too, unless you treat her like she's not. I won't do that, though."

The dryad bites her lip before she speaks again. She knows this is treacherous ground. "You know how I mentioned it's like I can feel what the kids need, without them telling me or just the smallest change of expression?" She's tried to explain it before with some difficulty. It's a feeling that got far more keen after she and the kami were merged, and she knows that who ordeal has been challenging... "Well with her it's no different. There's nothing different about her and the other kids."

24. - Top - End - #1254

[Greater Wood Tomb]

Gwas's eyes widen at the prospect of filling the tomb with cement. That was an option? Who ever heard of dumping a bunch of concrete on their problems? It was inconceivable.

And yet...

The more he thought about it, the more viable it seemed. Why wouldn't they do it? Huelwen wasn't meant to come out. And if she did, she'd have to dig through several tons of rock to be a threat to anyone. She didn't need air or food to live, either, so it's not like there were any concerns this could be construed as an attempt on her life. They were simply burying her further.

"I'm already carrying all of my valuables." Gwas finally says, edging his way past a marine to the stairs. "We can leave immediately." Ever the gentleman, he offers Mina his hand, to help her back up the stairs.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2021-09-09 at 12:22 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Pixie in the Playground

Launching into deep intergalactic space, tons of cement, collapsing a cavern, tossing a locked invulnerable casket into the deepest part of the sea... my characters tend to be quite practical when it comes to "thing we can't kill that must never be allowed to escape".

The medic nods and soon there is much radio chatter. The sound of the hovering transport outside is soon joined by even louder noises as heavy equipment of a more constructive variety begins to arrive.

We'll undercut the room carefully so we can ensure at least a meter of reinforced concrete on every side beyond whatever stone is there in the floor already. We'll also install repeating grids of high-strength silver alloy steel rebar just in case she manages to wiggle a bit after we start the pour: there will come a time when the lid of her coffin will likely collapse under the weight, but even a vampire can't swim in concrete and even if she manages to move a bit she won't get anywhere before it sets.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina finds herself rather shocked that somehow it's dark again when they get to the door. What time is it anyway?! Sometimes Nexus weather is just like this. It could be anything from really dense clouds, or maybe that it's been night the whole time but the sun just decided to come out again for no reason earlier. Either way it means Gwas actually can leave.
    "Um, it sounds like you have a pretty good plan here. Ah, my name's Mina Ari if you need my name for the paperwork. I guess we'll be going." Mina does wish there was a reward for reporting this sort of thing but she probably can figure something out for Gwas.

27. - Top - End - #1257

[Greater Wood Tomb]

Oh. If Mina was giving out her name, Gwas probably ought to give his, too. "Gwas, Squire of Corvin Gravetender." He adds, indicating himself.

"Just put me down as 'Sai'." Sai interjects, causing the bull-man to jump about ten feet in the air.

"Absum almighty! Your dagger talks!" Gwas squeaks. "Did you get it from a witch or something?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Pixie in the Playground

Blazing bright lights and holy energy vie for top place in driving away the darkness of the night. The sizzling and crackling of welders and the sounds of large machinery mingle with the stomp of power-armored boots and the clank of chunks of rebar being moved around and echoes through the night.

But most ominous for the doomed vampire lord is the extra extra large cement mixer that has started to slowly turn.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2021-09-09 at 01:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Greater Wood Tomb

Mina takes a look at the giant piles of construction equipment arriving inexplicably quickly and waves to the good troopers and tries to lead Gwas away before the poor squire gets squished. She has no idea if they have such vehicles where he's from but they could kill either of them if the two cowfolk get in the way.
    "He's not a dagger, he's a sai. He's very uncreative with his name. And he's called himself a minotaur a bunch of times so he probably had a mortal name once. You're allowed to use that if you want you know." she jabs the weapon at her belt.
    "But I got him from the tomb of Tarr, who was a previous incarnation of my soul or something. She looked like this but younger. And now I look like this because Sai decided that I wasn't good enough for him as a human." That earns Sai a very light slap to the side. She does her best to give Gwas a bashful smile.
    "So that's why I'm in this ridiculous outfit and don't know how to walk on my own ankles. This is also the part where a gentleman would say something nice."

30. - Top - End - #1260

[Greater Wood Tomb]

Gwas visibly gulps at this, clearly unnerved. He wasn't really much of a gentleman. Not for want of trying, mind you... his training did include some lessons on etiquette, but they'd taken a back seat in recent years and he was never very good at remembering it all in the first place.

Then again, Mina only asked that he say something "nice". How hard could that be?

"...They are nice ankles." He says at last.

Oof. Harder than it sounded, apparently.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]