New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Bart and Hank's Cars and Parts

"Maybe I could give your toolbox an upgrade," Helga has gathered quite a number of parts now and is trying to fit them together. "Can you hand me that soldering iron?" She points to a nearby soldering iron resting precariously on a stack of old hard drives.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Marin nods, and goes over to the soldering iron.
    She (obviously) grabs it by the handle - you always need to treat soldering irons as if they're hot, regardless of whether you know if they are or not - and brings it over to Helga.

"Maybe?" she says, uncertain how exactly she'd go about it. "You have something in mind on how to improve it?"
    Marin obviously doesn't have it with her - it's left at work right now.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Riftline Transfer]

Well, some of the rooms are big enough that Honeysuckle can't feel the water outside anymore.
    But yeah, it's mostly like that.

"Oh, we've got hallways like that. Water all around."
    "Can't rely on the fish though."

Hey, is this their stop? They've transferred back to Inside already?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #154

Default [Riftline Transfer]

As the train slows, the catgirl looks out the window to see if this is the stop. "Maybe someone should put some fish nests or something around HALO's base," Marin says.
    But, as she reaches the end of the sentence, the stop they're at is announced over the speaker.

Yup.
    It is the right stop. Seems like the train will continue on for a little longer, though.

"Yeah, we're here." Marin stands up and starts to move to leave the seat and the train...but she's still holding hands. That should be a good thing, though, because then there's no way to get separated in the crowd of people.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Helga begins soldering whatever it is she's working on. But she's turned her back to Marin so that the catgirl can't see. "You could say that." The soldering iron is indeed hot. Apparently it's just been sitting there for a while, if the mark in the dust on the top hard drive is any clue. "If I align the displacement matrix like this, and the zero-point field like this..." She mutters. "Aha!" She holds something up triumphantly... It's a lunchbox. An old, rusty one. Wait, what was she soldering?

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Silly Plots 4: It's not particularly silly, is it?

[Desert Walk]

There is is.

A little ring of metal on a chain with a pulsing orb of tar floating in the middle of it.

It's kind of gross.

Morning Glory frowns at it.

"I'm pretty sure that boogie wanted it," she observes, her tone troubled. "It might come after you so long as you have it."

Getting pulled back into the Pit probably wouldn't be great. Getting out on one's own is certainly possible, but it is a rather harrowing experience. Jade and MG got off relatively easy.

MG sticks her tongue out at Jade. "I don't want to have to rescue you again. I'm going to feel schmutzy from all that tar for weeks."

Hmm...

Maybe the tar on the pendant could be removed? If Jade touches it it FEELS like there's something under it.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Default Desert Walk

Jade pokes at the pendant. Maybe that gunk can be scraped off? Or burned? Tar is flammable. Jade doesn't have what she would need to try that right now though. "What do you think I should do?" Maybe it just takes soap and water. There'll be a bathroom at the Riftline station.

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #158

Default Re: Bart and Hank's Cars and Parts

Marin tries to watch even though Helga's in the way.

"Um..." She doesn't get what Helga's talking about.

She looks at the lunchbox.
    "So...what does it do?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Helga excitedly hands Marin the lunchbox. It feels a bit heavier than it should be. "Open it and find out! You'll need a couple components from Jade to get it to full functionality. And you should be able to transfer the device to another container without too much trouble." But for now it's a beat-up lunchbox.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #160

Marin sets down the drone so that she can grab the lunchbox.

She looks at it a little, moves it around, turns it upside-down to see if she can see anything on the outside, and then...
    once she's done with all that, she opens it up to see what's inside. "And Jade will know how to transfer it, too, right?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

11. - Top - End - #161

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Questing for JUSTICE!]

Fayyaad grins.

"This might be just audacious enough to work. Although we'd need to hope these bandits are-" he pauses when Cantata points out the cube. "-perhaps we should stay out of sight for now."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Questing for JUSTICE!]

As the party discuss their options, Harold and Sir Percival sit back and listen.

"Uh, yeah, neigh, we don't really know how many there are. Other than that, like, they're human-y and it took, like, three of them to get the jump on Harold and make him...you know." Let's not go over the vomiting of holy relics in detail again, for everyone's sake. "So, neigh, I don't really know what they'll think about entertainers, but-"

Then Cantata whistles.

Harold looks up at the cube. "WHY, SIR PERCIVAL, LOOK! IT'S CUBERT!"

"...neigh, what?"

"WE MUST GO SAY HELLO AT ONCE! COME, FRIENDS, THIS WAY!" Harold declares, charging off-

No, scratch that, attempting to charge off, as Sir Percival frantically intercepts. "Harold, no! Leave this to, neigh, the people I hir- we recruited! We don't even know, neigh, if it's safe!"

"Of course it's safe, Sir Percival! Here, I'll show you!" Harold mutters (still loudly), picking up a rock and tossing it quite a hefty distance up the path. Seems he's got quite the throwing arm.

BOOOM

Hey, what do you know? Turns out the pathway up to the fort has been trapped with some rather potent explosives. This also serves to attract the attention of the cube, which slowly rotates until a green-coloured side is facing the party. It gradually hovers over to the edge of the drawbridge, but seems reluctant to go down the path. Possibly because it's apparently trapped with explosives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    [Questing for JUSTICE!]

Not gonna lie, Wren is pretty startled by the explosions. These bandits seem to be a whole lot more paranoid than they expected.

"Hmmm. Suppose that plan's out, then," he says dryly, to mask his surprise. "I guess there's no use being sneaky now."

He flourishes a hand... and then flourishes it again, this time frowning crossly and shaking it a little. "How does she do it... oh, I think I've got it."

He flourishes his hand a third time, and a silvery ethereal throwing knife appears in his hand, which, if no one in the party has any objection to, he throws at the cube.

Questing for JUSTICE! - Accursed Cuberts

Cantata pivots as Harold suddenly bellows out, shocked, She tries to intercept the blustering fool as he winds back his arm and lets stone fly - only to stop as the sound of a loud detonation fills the air, bristling. Was he trying to sabotage the very job he'd helped hire them for?!

Well, at least they know the enemy's got the aptitude to rig some powerful booby traps now.

Gears turn as she watches cubert move to investigate, puzzling out some way to turn this to their advantage. A thought occurs - if they're busy alert to the front, they might not be alert to the back. She turns to the others, leading them to some sort of vague cover before gesturing to the fort and then the group, and draws a half circle in the air before suddenly darting into the center.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

The lunchbox doesn't seem at all unusual from the outside. But opening it reveals a very different story. A spidery metal device clings to its interior. As the container opens, the device extends its limbs outwards in a rough cone. Each ends in a rubbery gripper. In the center, a slot for some sort of other device sits empty. That must be where the stuff Jade has to provide goes.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #163

Marin looks at it for a moment, and then closes it again since it seems incomplete.

"So, um..."
    Marin looks back up. "So is that everything?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

"Jade needs to install a projector and a scanner, but it should work. As for what it does, I'll leave that up to you to find out." Helga apparently is going to keep it secret. Is that a sinister smile?

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #165

"Oh. I see," Marin says. A scanner, she gets. It makes sense why it'd be added to a device like...whatever this is supposed to be. But a projector? What's a projector supposed to be used for? The catgirl starts brainstorming lots of different reasons why a projector could be useful, to see if she could figure out what this is supposed to be.
    Maybe...some sort of zoom feature? she thinks. Like, those surgical robots that zoom your view in. That might help with working on particularly small things. "Okay."

The smile is a little weird, and Marin still isn't entirely convinced that this isn't just some secret cult disguising itself as something else. Sure, she knows that's got to be wrong, but it just is an unusual circumstance in a place she doesn't know, and she would feel a bit more comfortable back around Jade.

"So. I'm going to go back to Jade, then," she declares, since there apparently wasn't anything else. But, before she leaves, she adds, "Um. Thanks."

Taking the lunch box with her, she turns around to go back the way they came, to find Jade where she can tell her, "So I was given this thing, but apparently it's incomplete."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Jade's got a shopping bag partly full of some miscellaneous parts. She turns and smiles at Marin. "How was it? Helga can be... Excitable." She sees the lunchbox. "What is it? May I see?"

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #167
    Halfling in the Playground

[Questing for JUSTICE!]

Post-explosion, Sir Percival has a distinctly panicked look to his eyes, alternating between staring at Harold in disbelief, and staring at the pathway in a mixture of shock and terror.

The MERCs may get the feeling that this is a distressingly normal occurrence for people in the presence of Harold, who mostly just looks confused.

And then Wren throws a knife at the cube.

"Ow!" the cube exclaims in a rather eccentric masculine voice, as it's struck by the knife."Ah, hello down there! Do you mind awfully not throwing any more things at me?" It asks, rotating 45 degrees anticlockwise in a manner mimicking someone tilting their head to one side.

Cantata's suggestion certainly has merit. The fort has been designed to only allow the one easy way up, a rather daunting cliff-face making any attempt to approach the rear quite challenging for, say, an approaching army, but nothing insurmountable for a few adventurers, particularly if they have some rope or other means of aiding the climb. The stone structure of the fort looks to be several storeys high, and there's only arrow slits at ground level, but larger windows that may serve as an alternate means of entrance are visible on the higher floors.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

[Questing for JUSTICE!]

Fayyaad looks on in dismay at the explosions, which turns to a degree of bewilderment when the cube speaks. He seems to grasp Cantata's intention and follows her to any cover that's available. Then he speaks in a hushed tone.

"Between the explosions and this... greeter, trying to sneak through the back feels like a better option. But how? Forts aren't known for having service entrances."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

19. - Top - End - #169

Marin nods. "Yeah, you can see." She hands over the lunchbox. "Helga put something inside of it, said you knew how to finish it. With, like, a scanner and projector. Didn't tell me what it does, though."

So she goes back to answer the first question: "She's pretty nice. Kinda serious."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Jade opens up the lunchbox and takes a look. "Oh yeah, I see what this is. It's a personal assistant of sorts. It should be able to pass you tools using voice commands. Do you know what she wanted installed in these slots?" she points to the slots in the top of the device. "If she said I could help, she probably wanted some of my inventions."

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #171

Marin shrugs: "The only thing she told me about it was that it still needed that scanner and projector," she says. "Not sure if that's what those slots are for."

"So, um..." Marin bites her lip. "You think you can finish it?"

She pauses, but then adds, "And...and maybe, if you want, show me what you're doing?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Jade looks at it again. "Ah. The scanner is so it knows what tools it's holding. The projector... Judging by the interface here, she wants it to project a hardlight work surface." She hands the box back to Marin. "I can finish it. Not with what I have here though. We'd have to go back to my hideout. And of course you can watch."

My Nexus characters

23. - Top - End - #173

"Oh, hardlight. Never used it before," she says. "Okay, yeah, let's go there." She moves to the elevator.

Hm.
    Hardlight.
    ???
    Wasn't that what that one superhero who saved her used? To stop the acid?

. . .

. . .

. . .

If the hardlight tools are one of her inventions...

"Hey...how often do you make tools for other super heroes?" she asks, trying to determine how likely things are.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-09-03 at 02:14 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

"Sometimes," Jade says. "It's more Helga's specialty than mine, but I do occasionally." She heads up the elevator with Marin. "Why do you ask? Is there something you'd like me to make?"

My Nexus characters

25. - Top - End - #175

"Oh. Okay," Marin says.

So.
    If Helga does it, then maybe it could be anyone. Doesn't really narrow it down at all.
    So there's no point in bringing it up.
    Besides, if it was Jade, she probably would have already mentioned it by now, right?

Marin shakes her head. "No," she says. "Was just curious."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course, Helga can't replicate my hardlight tech easily. That's why she asked me to finish the assistant for you," Jade continues. She'll lead the way back to her car, bidding a friendly farewell to Bart. "Ready to go?"

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #177

Default Bart and Hank's Cats and Pats

Wow, it is awfully convenient that Marin took a bus here, so she doesn't need to drive her own car.

She also says 'bye'.

Marin follows Jade to the car. "Yeah, ready," she says. "We're...going to your place?"
    When the car is unlocked, she gets in on the front shotgun seat.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Default Bart and Hank's Cars and Parts -> Jade's Lair

"Of course we're going to my place. Not directly though. We have to be a bit circumspect to avoid being tracked." The drive is about a half hour, and Jade ends in a parking garage near the harbor, then leads the way on a short walk to a dilapidated warehouse district. She singles out a single warehouse, belonging to "Recoil Technologies LLC" and walks right up to it. The place looks like a wreck, with lots of litter and graffiti around it. "Here we are. Come on in!" She unlocks and opens the door.

My Nexus characters

29. - Top - End - #179

Default -> Jade's Lair

Marin, of course, follows.

As soon as she gets out of the car, she stretches - and carefully makes sure her tails are away from the door when she closes it. Getting your tail caught in a car door is awful. 0/10, would not recommend.

"So you live in a warehouse," she comments. When it looks like they're going to a particular warehouse, she looks at its sign..."Recoil Tech."... She's never heard of it. Did Jade work there? Or...own it? Or something?

She heads through the open door. "Probably really cozy, I'll bet," she says before she gets a good look at it.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Default Jade's Lair

Jade, still a catgirl, just barely manages to not get her tail caught in the door. She's not used to having something back there.

But now they're at the warehouse. "Yeah I do. It's a nice place." Jade, you live in a warehouse that looks like it's falling apart. In what way is that nice?

Oh wait.

The inside of the warehouse has been completely refurbished. On the left is tons of different exercise equipment and an old-fashioned full length mirror. On the right are workbenches, half-finished gadgets and computer terminals. Also, partly disassembled and sitting across a few of the workbenches is that suit. Marin knows the one.
    In addition, a staircase leads up to a loft, and a couple doors lead to other rooms.

My Nexus characters