New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Dark one has already cut a deal with the snarl (spoilers SoD)

In Stickverse, gods seem to be their own class of being. Yeah, it's possible for mortals like The Dark One to ascend, and it's possible the main pantheons were something else before they came to the Stickverse, but deities still have specific powers and limits beyond just being "the strongest beings". The Snarl probably can't grant spells, it doesn't rely on mortals for its continued existence, it's not a one-color being.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I was referring to the fact that we can see the actual Snarl in that strip, and we can see that it has no quiddity.
    No we can't. It has no aura but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a godly essence. In fact Thor told us plainly that it has 4. Mortals have 3 and don't have aura while Thor's little illusions only have 1 and have an aura (unless it's Thor's dweomer, it's hard to tell) so maybe once you have more than one the aura cancels itself out.

Or, more likely, since Thor describes aura as being particles escaping divine singularities (with the perceived color being a function of the essence of said singularity) then it means that the Snarl, unlike the gods, isn't a singularity. Which makes sense since Thor describes the Outer Planes (and himself) as being made of ideas

So basically when a lot of people belive in stuff, this stuff coalesces together until it becomes so massive as to form a singularity (i.e. a god) each with a certain type (or whatness). Just like Hawking radiations, there are particles escaping these singularities but the wavelength at which they do so is determined by the essence of the sigularity, hence they form auras of a specific color.

When gods create thing they imbue them with their own essence but since these creations aren't things that are believed by a whole lot of people they're not singularities and so don't have any aura. So all things we see in comic are made of divine essences (most likely all 'xcept the Snarl and gods are made of three) but out of all of them, only the gods are subject to so much belief/worship/etc that they have auras.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hmm, I'm rolling with the explanation that the Snarl really is just chaotic malevolence, at least as a starting point until disproven, although I'm curious about other possibilities.

The Snarl was created by the gods angrily disagreeing with each other. So the same feeling as yelling at someone we don't like on the forums- that core, uncivil, "how can you be so wrong?!" energy. The Snarl didn't get created when they were politely agreeing with or empathizing with each other, or even grudgingly tolerating each other- we could say it doesn't have any of that positive energy. It's just the worst, angry parts.

What can we tell from its actions?
    All we've ever seen it do is lash out of the breaches and devour souls, utterly destroying them beyond having anything left to go to the afterlife. That's what apparently took Soon's wife down in the park. We saw Kraagor battling a tendril. Tendrils exploded out of the tomb rift Laurin Shattersmith was scanning and apparently killed some of her elite guard. (And maybe would have her if Mirron hadn't mad a reflex save, although they're both pretty high level).

Soon acted like the Snarl was an all-destroying force that needed to be stopped at any cost, including binding his souls and calling the souls of all paladins in the throne room as entirely reasonable, proportionate actions.

It darkened the sky over Azure City.

The gods destroyed seemingly millions or even billions of worlds to stop the Snarl, and Thor claimed that some they nuked, but others they didn't even time to do that and the Snarl just shredded them first.

We've never on-screen seen any hints of the Snarl showing anything more than blind rage- although that doesn't prove beyond all doubt that it's not possible somehow. The Dark One got his power from somewhere, something unprecedented. Maybe "The Good Guys" have a mindset that the Snarl can't be reasoned with that is so strong they've never questioned it.

Then there's the question of what happens to souls shredded by the Snarl. Subatomically shredded into oblivion, presumably? But maybe it absorbs them? Teleports them to another world? It's unknown, although the highest entropy answer is probably the most reasonable starting point, of just shredding them to nothing.

Maybe the Snarl slowly absorbs some of the qualities of the souls it devours. Who knows, maybe it even slowly gains knowledge, insight, and the hopes and fears of those it consumes, slowly becoming more... complex? There's very little evidence to even hint at this, other than "Well, the Dark One got his power from somewhere, so MAYBE??" If consuming sentient beings made it more reasonable, I would thinking consuming the entire Green Pantheon would probably have made it at least a little calmer.

Maybe if it consumed ALL the gods, their civilized energies would merge back with their uncivilized and it would stabilize? I'm also curious what an assload of healing magic would do to it.

But until I get more info, I'm going to assume it's like trying to reason with entropy or a black hole.
    Last edited by ShaneWegner; 2020-08-07 at 04:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, I want to apologize to you and any others for how I've been responding lately, especially in that last reply. I've been going through a rough time lately, and that's no excuse to be so rude to other people. I'm going to try to keep a better handle on myself, and if I start going back to mean-spirited or sarcastic retorts, please let me know so I can try to fix that.
    Sorry you are having a rough time of it lately. Hope things turn up for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah I ain’t even sure the snarl HAS sentience. I’ve always thought of it as not an entity but an effect, like entropy.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.