1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Hazbin Hotel picked up by A24

What do you guys think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Hazbin Hotel picked up by A24

Well that's exciting! I don't know a thing about A24, but getting picked up by anyone has to be a step up from the alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Well that's exciting! I don't know a thing about A24, but getting picked up by anyone has to be a step up from the alternative.
    They're a pretty small production company that is creator-friendly, especially compared to other studios. They made Euphoria, Uncut Gems, The Lighthouse, Midsommar ect. I haven't seen those but I heard they had creative focus

So I think the show is in good hands.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Phew, I was afraid Helluva Boss would get picked up instead of Hazbin Hotel.

I mean, HB looks 100% foul-mouthed comedy, whereas HH seems to have both that and a story to tell.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Phew, I was afraid Helluva Boss would get picked up instead of Hazbin Hotel.

I mean, HB looks 100% foul-mouthed comedy, whereas HH seems to have both that and a story to tell.
    There's going to be more of both actually.

They announced on their channel, before the news that Hazbin had been picked up, that there were more episodes of Helluva Boss in production. So I'm guessing Helluva Boss is going to continue being a side project unless it gets picked up as well.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hadn't noticed Helluva Boss existed. It looks like a sitcom where they forgot to add the normal(ish) person in the cast (maybe it's the husband?). I also have no idea of what the point of the pilot is: there is no plot. I expect a pilot to present the characters by having them play an episode that is representative of expectations.

By comparison, Hazbin Hotel has a general direction and a plot. My only gripe with it is that it starts out pretty wide with an interesting, lively setting, and then locks its characters inside a hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I hadn't noticed Helluva Boss existed. It looks like a sitcom where they forgot to add the normal(ish) person in the cast (maybe it's the husband?). I also have no idea of what the point of the pilot is: there is no plot. I expect a pilot to present the characters by having them play an episode that is representative of expectations.

By comparison, Hazbin Hotel has a general direction and a plot. My only gripe with it is that it starts out pretty wide with an interesting, lively setting, and then locks its characters inside a hotel.
    You hit it right on the head, Helluva Boss is a sitcom, which means the plot is going to be whatever shenanigans the cast gets up to for any given episode.

And while I greatly like both Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss, I actually think Helluva Boss is the better pilot. I have a better feel for the employee's of I.M.P's personalities than I do any of the ones in Hazbin Hotel aside from Charlie. And this is largely due to the fact Hazbin Hotel felt the need to introduce like..SO MUCH in the very first episode and loses focus as a consequence. Sir Pentious, Cherry Bomb, Huskus, and Nifty are all interesting looking characters...but none of them needed to be in the pilot. The pilot, had it just focused on Angel Dust, Charlie, the Radio Demon, and Vaggie would have been able to characterize them and also Hell a lot better than it did. (Not that it did a poor job of this, but it could have done better)

And to be honest, the whole reason they likely did that was because they probably didn't know if there WOULD be more Hazbin so they threw in as many hooks as possible to get people's attention on it...which OBVIOUSLY WORKED, haha. This is mostly just a nitpick to be frank, largely because despite being less plot driven and more comedy based, Helluva Boss doesn't suffer from this problem because of its smaller scope.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2020-08-08 at 11:22 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."