New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Was Tsukiko a godless cleric?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    Remember that for a while she was part of Xykon's inner circle. Whether the gods liked her or not, she was their agent in his camp and their best bet to contact redcloak in the same way that Durkon is currently doing in the comic. The problem with that is of course that tsukiko was not raised from the dead, quite the opposite, in fact.
    It's not a problem, if we don't assume the Twelve wished to contact Redcloak. SoD, and in particular the scene where
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Big Purple learns about the existence of Lirian's Rift when he loses a cleric to it
    seems to imply that gods have easy access to information their clerics have access to. Which would mean that Tsukiko could (unwittingly) serve as the eye and ear of the Twelve in Gobbotopia.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-08-10 at 12:22 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its also entirely possible that because Tsukiko was simply doing her evil cleric thing, they felt no need to react to her. As we have now learned, it isnt like the world is some huge investment that they cant afford to let go. They'd just prefer not to.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

It's entirely possible that one of the twelve gods presides over death, and actually got a massive boost from all the souls connected from the battle. That's probably also the got T would worship. Since her actions haven't threatened the actual worship of the pantheon, said god would actually probably be glad about what she's done. I mean, the whole premise of an evil god of a pantheon is that him and his followers are overall opposed to the pantheon as a whole, as long as an existential threat doesn't rear its ugly head.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dude123nice View Post
    I mean, the whole premise of an evil god of a pantheon is that him and his followers are overall opposed to the pantheon as a whole
    How's that now?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    How's that now?
    Probably thinking of an example like {scrubbed} ... that's what I got out of the post.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-12 at 05:07 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #36

It's entirely possible that one of the twelve gods presides over death, and actually got a massive boost from all the souls connected from the battle. That's probably also the got T would worship. Since her actions haven't threatened the actual worship of the pantheon, said god would actually probably be glad about what she's done. I mean, the whole premise of an evil god of a pantheon is that him and his followers are overall opposed to the pantheon as a whole, as long as an existential threat doesn't rear its ugly head.
    Doubt that. The Twelve are worshipped as a pantheon, which would mean that they receive Belief, Worship and Dedication collectively from their followers, whereas the souls presumably end up where they belong (so unless the vast majority of the noble defenders of Azure City were Chaotic/Neutral Evil, I seriously doubt that an Evil god of death would get more souls than the rest of the pantheon).

7. - Top - End - #37

There's a fun fact about the map of the South that was linked earlier: one of the lands seem to be inhabited by the undead. Ghostlands, Deadsburg, Haunted Woods. https://oots.fandom.com/wiki/Souther..._Continent.png So one of the Twelve being into undead doesn't seem too unlikely, unless it's like Gobbotopia (an unwanted invasion).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

How's that now?
    The Evil God wants to overthrow the rest of the Pantheon and become its top God, the way Loki would probably be doing in normal circumstances and Hel is doing right now, and so he is ok with screwing over the majority of the pantheon, once again, like Hell is doing. Since, as I've already stated, this action doesn't actually threaten the pantheon in a significant enough way, it could be considered an advantageous moove for certainn goals of an Evil

Doubt that. The Twelve are worshipped as a pantheon, which would mean that they receive Belief, Worship and Dedication collectively from their followers, whereas the souls presumably end up where they belong (so unless the vast majority of the noble defenders of Azure City were Chaotic/Neutral Evil, I seriously doubt that an Evil god of death would get more souls than the rest of the pantheon).
    Rat has already showed himself willing to act against the wishes of the pantheon as a whole. And you don't take into consideration other possible advantages, like, for example, that the event created a change for Kubota or other evil nobles to rise to power. That would certainly have an effect on the future overall alignment of the nation.

9. - Top - End - #39

The Evil God wants to overthrow the rest of the Pantheon and become its top God, the way Loki would probably be doing in normal circumstances and Hel is doing right now, and so he is ok with screwing over the majority of the pantheon, once again, like Hell is doing. Since, as I've already stated, this action doesn't actually threaten the pantheon in a significant enough way, it could be considered an advantageous moove for certainn goals of an Evil
    So far we've seen one, and only one, example of that (Hel). How is that every evil gods' premise?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

So far we've seen one, and only one, example of that (Hel). How is that every evil gods' premise?
    I'm not giving a definite answer, none of us has a definite answer for that either way. I'm giving possible solutions {scrubbed}. Most of the population lived, and the invasion gave a chance for evil nobles to rise to power.
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-08-11 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

11. - Top - End - #41

I'm not giving a definite answer, none of us has a definite answer for that either way.
    You seemed to have a definite statement earlier that "the whole premise of an evil god of a pantheon is that him and his followers are overall opposed to the pantheon as a whole". I'm just asking how, exactly, you justify that conclusion. Not that one or two have acted that way - that this is their "whole premise."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You seemed to have a definite statement earlier that "the whole premise of an evil god of a pantheon is that him and his followers are overall opposed to the pantheon as a whole". I'm just asking how, exactly, you justify that conclusion. Not that one or two have acted that way - that this is their "whole premise."
    From a strictly D&D perspective, he's actually correct. Evil gods (and evil outsiders) exist pretty much entirely to drive conflict beyond what would otherwise be occurring with a big happy Good-And-Neutral family of gods. They cant actually win overall or be in charge, because D&D evil is self destructive, and fighting gods is usually beyond the scope of PCs.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    From a strictly D&D perspective, he's actually correct. Evil gods (and evil outsiders) exist pretty much entirely to drive conflict beyond what would otherwise be occurring with a big happy Good-And-Neutral family of gods. They cant actually win overall or be in charge, because D&D evil is self destructive, and fighting gods is usually beyond the scope of PCs.
    And from a Stickworld perspective? The Twelve Gods are an incredibly tightly-nit pantheon, to the point that they are worshipped as a whole and will work together to take certain actions as a whole, as we have seen. Which alone flies in the face of the idea that the evil gods in the Southern pantheon are opposed to the pantheon as their entire premise.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Well, to amend that statement a bit, it should be "an evil god of a pantheon that seems overly good aligned". Since an evil god's wants and ideals would naturally be opposed to such a pantheon, and since evil gods are, by their nature, immoral, it's normal to assume that such a god would be willing to undermine the rest of the pantheon to rise to power.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And from a Stickworld perspective? The Twelve Gods are an incredibly tightly-nit pantheon, to the point that they are worshipped as a whole and will work together to take certain actions as a whole, as we have seen. Which alone flies in the face of the idea that the evil gods in the Southern pantheon are opposed to the pantheon as their entire premise.
    Having the capacity to cooperate does not mean that they wouldnt totally go off and do their own thing if they had the opportunity to do so without consequence. Indeed, Rat actually did break with his pantheon to act on his own agenda when The Dark One discovered the rifts.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

A few things:

Some of the gods (read: Loki) seem to be OK with not necessarily doing what's best for the god in all situations as long as they follow the teachings. Or they may believe having faith in and supporting the god doesn't necessarily mean you should support everyone else who also worships the god.

The gods of the South also have greater dominion over, well, the South. Despite years of infighting in the West every kingdom in the West still seems to worship the Western gods, so perhaps it doesn't really matter which mortal leader rules in the South either. Maybe they all end up worshipping the Southern gods anyway, because that's who has the most power there. Maybe they felt that a loss to the goblins was inevitable, and Tsukiko was a way to help spread the faith of the Twelve to the new leaders. Though the fact that the goblins have far less interest in the traditional pantheons due to their history and the existence of TDO may throw a wrench in that theory.

Azure City is also not the only place that worships the Twelve, or even the biggest. According to GDGU,
    Spoiler: GDGU
    Show
    The Realm of the Dragon and the Azurites are practically the same people with the same faith and culture, just with different leaders and politics.
    Last edited by Potatopeelerkin; 2020-08-12 at 01:34 AM.
    My bubble cannot be burst. It is impervious to physical damage.

Bugbear cleric avatar by me.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tsukiko was a godawful cleric. The sermons were rambling, and the wights gobbled all the coffee and donuts on the refreshments table afterwards. The only guy who protested about how pushy they were got level-drained and turned into another wight. I could see where that was going, so I kept my mouth shut and just switched denominations the next week.

They came around with some pamphlets a few times after that to try and get me back, but I hid behind the couch and pretended I wasn't home until they got bored and went away...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Probably thinking of an example like {scrub the post, scrub the quote} ... that's what I got out of the post.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-12 at 05:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    I think you might want to familiarise yourself with Roman mythology a tad more before making this comparison.
    "Why is my hair out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #50

Well, to amend that statement a bit, it should be "an evil god of a pantheon that seems overly good aligned". Since an evil god's wants and ideals would naturally be opposed to such a pantheon, and since evil gods are, by their nature, immoral, it's normal to assume that such a god would be willing to undermine the rest of the pantheon to rise to power.
    Ok, I getcha. I'll totally agree on that.
    Having the capacity to cooperate does not mean that they wouldnt totally go off and do their own thing if they had the opportunity to do so without consequence. Indeed, Rat actually did break with his pantheon to act on his own agenda when The Dark One discovered the rifts.
    Yeah, but that doesn't mean said God would be opposed to the entire Pantheon any more than Thor is opposed to the entire Northern pantheon by trying to get this deal with TDO. That just means that different people are different.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    {scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-12 at 05:09 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ok, I getcha. I'll totally agree on that.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean said God would be opposed to the entire Pantheon any more than Thor is opposed to the entire Northern pantheon by trying to get this deal with TDO. That just means that different people are different.
    I dont understand this objection. Evil will try and take others down a peg when the opportunity presents itself by definition. They can be more or less civilized about it by comparison, But if you are Evil then you are trying to look after #1 while making sure to keep #2 down (as opposed to neutral, who looks after #1 but doesnt care what #2 is up to). Thats why theyre evil. If theyre cooperating, its because to do otherwise would hurt them in some way, not because they genuinely believe in cooperation and group interest for their own sakes.

23. - Top - End - #53

I dont understand this objection. Evil will try and take others down a peg when the opportunity presents itself by definition. They can be more or less civilized about it by comparison, But if you are Evil then you are trying to look after #1 while making sure to keep #2 down (as opposed to neutral, who looks after #1 but doesnt care what #2 is up to). Thats why theyre evil. If theyre cooperating, its because to do otherwise would hurt them in some way, not because they genuinely believe in cooperation and group interest for their own sakes.
    Evil has just as many flavors as Good or Neutral. An Evil god can still fully recognize that the pantheon makes them stronger and not want to eliminate or even take down a peg the rest of the pantheon even if given the opportunity. The philosophy of enlightened self-interest is not necessarily Good, but can easily be adapted to Evil. Heck, that's basically how I'm playing a character in a campaign I've got going on right now. Dude is inarguably Evil, but will not act antagonistically or move against the party because it is in his best interests to not do that. He's not a "cool" Evil or shades-of-grey Evil or designed-to-question-how-we-view-morality Evil. He's just Evil, but also practical.

I'm sure there are some Evil gods that are also practical and subscribe to enlightened self-interest.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I seem to remember a statement by Rich concerning a D&D party where they just fundamentally did not understand that the two bad guys in the campaign were friends and, even though evil, treated each other accordingly. When the party tried to get one of the bad guys to turn on the other, things did not go well for that plan. I think that is a more nuanced view about evil than what you are presenting here.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by dmc91356 View Post
    I seem to remember a statement by Rich concerning a D&D party where they just fundamentally did not understand that the two bad guys in the campaign were friends and, even though evil, treated each other accordingly. When the party tried to get one of the bad guys to turn on the other, things did not go well for that plan. I think that is a more nuanced view about evil than what you are presenting here.
    Indeed. "Evil" does not necessarily mean "kicks every puppy they see".

26. - Top - End - #56

AssassinGuy

Indeed. "Evil" does not necessarily mean "kicks every puppy they see".
    For that matter, there's a very good reason for the trope "Even Evil Has Loved Ones".

I think the debate is whether having Evil (capital E) goals makes you a bad person. Well, on one level, yes, I think it does, by definition; but on another, it doesn't have to mean that one is only ever looking out for number one, when looking out for others to some extent means they owe you a favor and you're going to be able to cash it in down the road.

I picture Rat as a member of a bureaucracy, he's Evil, yes, but he knows the rest of the bureaucracy probably isn't going anywhere and if he tore it all down, just look at the work he would have to do afterward. He has his hands full with the Evil portfolio, let the others take care of their sectors as long as they let his followers alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

As per comic 1143, Rat was apparently furious with Azure City's fall. So he definitely wasn't approving of it and probably would have, along with the rest of the pantheon, zapped Tsukiko of her cleric powers the moment she turned on the ramparts or even before that. Hell, just the act of trying to get with the guys invading Azure City might have been enough for her to lose it.

More over, Rat is probably hella enjoying the pantheon stuff. Politics are a breeding ground for sociopathic monsters in the real world and that definitely held true for Azure City. Even some LE, noble intentioned evils can probably fit in all of that jazz.

Plenty of room for give and take of Tyrants, Criminal Lords, Neutral Mediators or Good and Noble leaders. Cycles of it, you know? And plenty of time to play against the other gods in his pantheon in a way that never hurt his culture. The idea being, simply, that they were always competing for the best of their people through their followers. Whoever holds the seat clearly won it and so is the strongest, but they have to keep it from other contenders. It has all the 'we wanted to do something cause bored' 'giants in a playground' 'care about my followers, good or evil' and even 'believe in a cause or have a personal goal' room for the pantheon to enjoy.

So the idea that he'd be down for the fall of Azure City seems improbable, particularly if the comic went out of it's way to say Rat was furious about it's fall.

It's possible, still, that Tsukiko was his follower, and that he kept her hanging around to try and work with Redcloak or learn what they were up to, definitely, but that's a very long play when the city hadn't even fallen yet. And considering she was a high level Mystic Theurge, she probably played a big part in the battle outside even if we didn't see it. One high level spell caster is more then enough to change a battle in some cases, nonetheless one with access to both sets of spell slots who was specifically allowed to prepare combat spells that morning to fight for Azure City.

I think it's more likely she had an alternate source. A demigod, a class that didn't require it, a god from another region, etc.
    Last edited by M. Arillius; 2020-08-13 at 02:32 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

In order to cast cleric spells through the prestige class, i believe she needs at least a few straight cleric levels.
    Technically, one must be able to cast divine spells, so she don't need to have cleric levels. She could have levels in, I don't know, Archivist, which would also be appropriate to her character.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Well that certainly would explain why her Wisdom seemed to be as functional as one of her wights going skinny-dipping in holy water.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #60

...come to think of it, did we ever see Tsukiko rebuke/bolster any of her undead, or even carry an unholy symbol?

In fact...she didn't even know Redcloak had done it to her own wights. If she'd been a cleric she'd have recognized what he'd done immediately.

Yeah, I also don't think her divine magic's clerical. It's coming from somewhere else.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?