New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default The four ingredients to a god

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1144.html

I was just rereading Thor's explanation, and it got me to wondering: what happens when gods are deprived of each of the four sources of power? We know that Hel has barely any worshipers, and he implies that she's gone a little crazy because of it. What would happen if you didn't get any souls and had an empty afterlife? What does it mean to have dedication without souls or souls without dedication?

And most importantly... what happens if people believe in you but no longer worship or follow you? Do you still exist, just not as a god? Do you become a normal mortal? Maybe you become an Epic-level mortal?
    Last edited by pwning doodes; 2020-08-08 at 09:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliezer Yudkowsky
    Why do you believe what you believe? What do you think you know and how do you think you know it?
    Alanna the Lioness avatar by Iron Penguin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The four ingredients to a god

Quote Originally Posted by pwning doodes View Post
    And most importantly... what happens if people believe in you but no longer worship or follow you? Do you still exist, just not as a god? Do you become a normal mortal? Maybe you become an Epic-level mortal?
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0085.html

[speculation] Being forgotten is bad news. Forgotten gods are basically comatose until they get some worship, and are warped by whatever discarded ideas sink down to the bottom of the astral plane and accrete on their slumbering forms. Thus are the Banjhulus formed. [/speculation]
    Thought I'd try drawing in Rich's style with a lizardfolk. He looks... concerned. Maybe 'cause he lost the top of his spear!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

We can only speculate, but there's good reason to believe Odin's mental situation is a direct side-effect of lack of one or more of the four "dietary components". Since the northerners in the previous world despised magic, he probably got close to no Dedication or Worship from them. But he probably still got enough Souls and Belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Itiative View Post
    We can only speculate, but there's good reason to believe Odin's mental situation is a direct side-effect of lack of one or more of the four "dietary components". Since the northerners in the previous world despised magic, he probably got close to no Dedication or Worship from them. But he probably still got enough Souls and Belief.
    I thought it was more because in that world people considered magic something fool (but only arcane magic, apparently) and so he, being the god of magic, was thought to be a bufoon/idiot and he lost some of his mental faculties as consequence.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2020-08-09 at 12:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Agreed. Gods need belief as one of the four food groups but belief can change the god’s nature, from hair colour to the inability to tell the truth (with few exceptions) to lower mental faculties. Looks like it is a slow process that carries over from world to world. Odin might be ok in another 3000 years.
    Last edited by Particle_Man; 2020-08-09 at 05:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Come to think of it, I wonder if an evil Tree Demigod might spring up due to the dwarven belief system?

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pwning doodes View Post
    Look at Hel. That's what happens. She only gets belief and souls, but (having no clerics and followers) no worship and no dedication.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    Come to think of it, I wonder if an evil Tree Demigod might spring up due to the dwarven belief system?
    That would be way cool.
    Nevertheless, I'm not sure that's even possible, because a.) all freshly ascended gods were originally particular persons rather than abstract representations of a category on the material plane and b.) even if there was a particular, much reviled tree who could ascend, I'd suppose it takes a soul to do that. Do trees have souls in the Stickverse?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post
    They must believe in it, though.
    If some bard starts to tell the story of an evil brother of Thor, who was transformed in a terrible, enormous tree as punishment, and all the trees of the world are his sons and daughters, it might work.
    I still have hopes for Banjo and his evil brother, thanks to the faith of the orcs.
    Last edited by Dr.Zero; 2020-08-10 at 12:35 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Do trees have souls in the Stickverse?
    Pretty sure Treants have souls, and if any tree is going to be reviled by Dwarves to the point of apotheosis, it'd be the Tree That Fought Back.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I had completely forgotten about Banjo (please don't smite me Banjulhu!) and I would not be surprised at all if in the end we discover the Dark One is actually Banjo or that they are part of the same purple pantheon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by firelistener View Post
    I had completely forgotten about Banjo (please don't smite me Banjulhu!) and I would not be surprised at all if in the end we discover the Dark One is actually Banjo or that they are part of the same purple pantheon.
    I would be surprised, as that would completely undermine the main themes of the comic.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Pretty sure Treants have souls, and if any tree is going to be reviled by Dwarves to the point of apotheosis, it'd be the Tree That Fought Back.
    Behold the Tree That Fought Back, Evil god of Evil Trees! I like that line of thought. Especially since plant creatures seem to be miserably underrepresented in all three (four) pantheons.
    Sole problem is, I can't really see where the Tree would get its daily Worship and Dedication from.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would be surprised, as that would completely undermine the main themes of the comic.
    What makes you say that?

14. - Top - End - #14

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    I thought it was more because in that world people considered magic something fool (but only arcane magic, apparently) and so he, being the god of magic, was thought to be a bufoon/idiot and he lost some of his mental faculties as consequence.
    That is another possibility, but I feel like it's a bit weirder, since the current world already lasted longer than the previous one, and Odin is believed to be wise in this one, yet this isn't reflected in how he actually acts. It makes more sense, to me at least, for such a lasting effect to be a result of an unbalanced diet than a direct consequence of people's ideas shaping a god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stricken View Post
    I tip my hat to you, Giant. For every person who rules-nitpicks you, there are bound to be ten times as many fans who are just blown away by how excellent your storytelling is.

15. - Top - End - #15

Are rules for demigods different?

I doubt they get much of anything

Could a god get knocked down to a demigod?
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zero View Post
    They must believe in it, though.
    If some bard starts to tell the story of an evil brother of Thor, who was transformed in a terrible, enormous tree as punishment, and all the trees of the world are his sons and daughters, it might work.
    I still have hopes for Banjo and his evil brother, thanks to the faith of the orcs.
    Astonishingly enough, this happened way early in the run of the comic books that OotS!Thor bemoans, although the tree Loki was trapped in didn't explicitly have any offspring (the condition to get out was for literally anyone anywhere to shed a tear over his plight, which he masterfully rules-lawyered by dropping a leaf into Heimdall's eye at just the right moment.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Behold the Tree That Fought Back, Evil god of Evil Trees! I like that line of thought. Especially since plant creatures seem to be miserably underrepresented in all three (four) pantheons.
    Sole problem is, I can't really see where the Tree would get its daily Worship and Dedication from.
    I could see them becoming a minor player in the Elven pantheon?
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer