New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Against the Empire and the Faith - IC 1

Meredith leans forward. She was rarely involved in bringing in new recruits for the rebels. Well. Living recruits.

"Interesting. What do we do to 'vet' people? Did you vet me after we met? Maybe I can learn how to vet. Am I using that word correctly?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

"But of course, come on in." Saying so, Ptolemys Contact turns and opens the door, letting the 2 Rebels into his Sales Room, where he usually displays maps and/or leads talks with people he wishes to hire or that wish to hire him.

The room is semicirular, and contains 2 medium sized (3*1.5m) map tables, a door, 3 chairs and a wallmounted "Expeditions" Map.

Closing the door behind his visitors, he harrumphs. "Thank you for considering to help. I know I am usually the one arguing against angering the Empire, but if this Duke simply takes over, there are no limits but the basic laws restricting his abuses. That will mean the end or debt for almost any business in town, but most quickly for mine, the MIlk Collective and the Woodcutters, as we would have to travel twice per contract, at the least." He seems careful not to speak too loud, and is obviously waiting for suggestions from people with more power than himself...
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Understandable. Unfortunately, the problem is less about what to do and more about the attention any response would draw. I can think of only two responses that would leave the town in at least a somewhat reasonable position, neither of them are particularly good." Ptomely walks to one of the chairs and takes a seat, sure that Scarlet and Mark will do the same.

"The first is by far the easiest. Petition to join the Empire as the brother Lerkoss demanded, but request it of Baron Ghran. Despite his loyalty to the Empire, he is a man of honor who finds abuse of power and position completely distasteful. At the very least, it will force the Duke to delay his siege.

The second option is a lot more risky. As I'm sure you're aware Mark, this town is quite an oddity. In travel, one normally hears all sorts of rumors or bits of knowledge about villages and cities, but I've heard nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, about Hengstridge. You've been living here a long time Mark, before now has anything noteworthy happened in the last five or so years? When was the last time something like a big trade caravan or a drought or anything out of the ordinary happen?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Mark walks towards the Wall with the large Map, while listening to Ptolemy, and opens a small alcove in it, taking out a rather dumpy bottle and 3 small, tulip-shaped glasses.

He walks back and sits down as well, gesturing to Scarlet to take a seat, which she does.

At the mention of Baron Ghran he nodds. "So I have heard. But he is also arch-conservative. We would also be looking towards increased taxes, and likely the stationing of a permanent squad or 2."

After Ptolemy last sentence he seems to be in deep thought, while putting the glasses on a small crate between the chairs, and opüening the waxed cork of the bottle.

"Hmmmm, well true, almost nothing ever happens here, but I thought at least SOMETHING, and I would ahve just been away whenever that happened. What might cause this?"

He pours some light amber colored liquid into the 3 glasses, and offers 2 to his guests, with the words "Might as well drink it now, before it gets taxed away. Its from the Island of Morele, southeast of Khavim. 12 years old Rum, great quality."

Saying so and taking a smal, long sip, seemingly enjoing it very much.

Spoiler: Rum
    Show

The Rum has a very strong, spicy aroma, with udnertones of Dark fruits and almonds.

its also very strong, above 60%, just to make sure you know how to react^^

Scarlet sniffs, then takes a small sip ehrself. Her face seems ... undecided.

"And even if you know what caused the dearth of anything remarkable, how would that help us?"
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #65

BarbarianGuy

"Simple Mark, would you not say that the town being absorbed into the Lerkoss territories as a remarkable thing? Something that would travel pass the borders of the wall? If we can learn the what and why nothing extrordinary has happened, we can use it to stop the Duke." Ptomely raises his hand to decline the drink. He prefers to keep his mind as sharp as he can. "Are you sure there hasn't been anything unusual? Even something small could point us to the right direction."
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, as I said, I thought it was simply a very peaceful area, given that until a year or so ago I spent around a third of my time abroad. So no, I dont know of anything that makes me think "Strange happening" occuring. But if, as yous ay, someone or something has prevented "remarkable", what makes you think it will interfere? If they wanted, they could have shut the Duke down already, assuming your theory of their existence is right, as the Town WILL talk about this for ages, no matter the actual end result...."

Mark takes a longer sip of the very aromatic Drink, then seems to realize Ptolemy does not drink. "Its very good, and very much not poisoned, my friend." He seems to be trying to keep a good mood, including offering good drinks, which Ptolemy`s refusal to drink seems to run counter to, if he reads Marks mien correctly.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-09-02 at 04:47 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

BarbarianGuy

"I'm sure it is amazing my friend, but alchohol tends not to agree with me. I appreciate the sentiment however. As for the theory, it's pretty simple. We learn what it is, we use it to sabotage the Duke. If there was a small legend of what this could be or why, I could approach Brannagh as the Septimus Mapmaker, they would certainly want to be up to date on territories of course, and plant the rumour in his mind. With that stage set, we can tilt events in a way to have them blamed on these mysterious forces."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, if you dont want it...." Scarlet intercedes, her Rum being almost empty already, not that the incredible constitution of the seemingly "normal" Woman would show it.

Mark smiles amicably. "Please, of course. If Prtolemy doesnt want it." He smiles a bit wider than towards Ptoelmy, well, he isnt as attractive as Scarlet, so....

"Hmmmm, for the heck of me I cant think of anything. The only other option I saw was to get enough wealthy townspeople together to somehow hire help. For that at least I intended to conta ct Mr. Jarkhed, though I am not sure where he lives or IF he is still alive,, as you said Barong Ghran, Ms. Ithrass of the Milk Collective, and of course the 3 Orc Brothers of the traveller Lodges. Maybe the Twins Sinthai, they were well respected Soldiers in their time, but they are quite old, even for Half Elves." While talking his eyes go unfocused and towards the alrge Map. He then looks at Ptolemy again. "So if you want to find ...whatever this is, you will have to search on your own, sorry. But we are Mapmakers after all, so...:" he smiles.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-09-02 at 08:43 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Meredith leans forward. She was rarely involved in bringing in new recruits for the rebels. Well. Living recruits.

"Interesting. What do we do to 'vet' people? Did you vet me after we met? Maybe I can learn how to vet. Am I using that word correctly?"
    "More or less. Essentially, to "vet" a new recruit one has to look into their background to ensure they won't be a liability, let alone a loyalist spy. As for whether I vetted you? Suffice it to say, I saw enough to convince me of your skill set, and your motivation."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith nods.

"That actually sounds like fun. My guess is that there are some of the higher-ups here that might meet those criteria. Maybe we can do some snooping around some homes and offices after we finish with this other thing.

Oh, ah, not to put too fine a point on this, but if we are to travel quickly, I've got to ask. Can you fly? And, if not, are you claustrophobic?"

She smiled sweetly at the elf.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-09-08 at 03:57 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can, in fact, fly. And I am not particularly afraid of enclosed areas."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith nods sombrely.

"My easiest means of quick, inobtrusive travel is on a very fast flying horse. It's strong enough to carry three of us, and you can fly. That means that I don't need to worry about sticking one of us into storage for the trip. Which is good news, because I'm told that Slugger smells a bit."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"How fast is 'very fast'? I can fly but it's not much faster than me running."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith pauses, calculating.

"Clay, carrying me, is about four times faster than me running. He might be a bit slower if we're all ridign, but definitely still several times faster."

She shrugged. Since she didn't have a way to ask how far they'd be travelling, and wasn't even sure whether Kelhedros knew where they were going, further discussion on that topic had a significant chance of being pointless.

"So...based on what you know, is there anything else we should be taking with us to this mystery destination? Maybe we can do some shopping while Ptolemy and Ethir are off on their errand."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

"I suppose then that I must do without some creature comforts, and ride. If only your flying horse could pull a flying carriage."

He thought for a moment about what they'd need to purchase. "I have all the clothing I need to assume whatever identity I have to. Some rations are in order, if only for speed and convenience. I cannot predict what manner of specialized tools we'll need. I trust Ptolemy will take care of such during his errands, if he has not already."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-09-15 at 02:12 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith smiles and nods, and rummages in her pack for an inkwell and scrap of paper. She responds in Elven.

"Food! Right. I keep for... That is, we'll rely on you for a mix of flavours."

She scribbles: "Gone for food. Back in an hour" on the paper, and packs away the ink and quill.

"I suppose my horse could pull something, but unless it flies as well, it would be more like hitching a rowboat under him than a carriage behind. Not, I suspect, the elegant conveyance you have in mind."

Meredith goes over to a mirror and makes small adjustments to become a spruced up version of the road-weary woman who had entered the room.

"Right! Let's go shopping!"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-09-17 at 03:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

And so, with a very cheery if not very....trustworthy seeming Smile, Meridith and a for one much less scary seeming Commando go to shop for necessities.

Not that most people arent awake and discussing what and why everything might bne happening, so the fact that ita clearlöy past curfew has little impact. Getting the standard fare of rations, some of them more spicy local made variants that cater more to elven Sensibilities than the regular version, as well as the maybe needed equipment for a, harmless put, "Small excursion into uncivilized woods", all is found and bought.

Therewhile, after a few minutes of silence, Scarlet manages to emßtx her second Rum without seeming to get drunk, and so Ptolemy and his Bodyguard leave his collagues house, agreeing to contact him again ionce they are ready to follow up on thier original reason to come here, and make agreement to meet within a day if they find something that can help them help the Town stay more or less free...

After getting together in their not so relaxed Travellers Lodge "Tavern", Scarlet decides to breach the fact she has to leavbe now isntead of the following morning, mentioning she will be willing to help along if what they need is early, otherwise she`ll be gone, as much as it saddens her....

And so, after clarifying that the next Morning they`ll go off and either contact the Baron Ghran or try and "visit" the Mysterious Businessman Mr. Jarkhed.

The Next Morning, at Breakfast:

Scarlet nods to her erstwhile companions while eating a large serving of fried eggs, Bacon and fresh Bread.

"So, did you decide? I can help out for a while, remember?"

At the same Time, Ethir reaches the Town from the southern Entrance, thereby not seeing anything about blocked bridges, but noticing that there seems to be a kind of almost panicky energy in the air....Probably best if he finds a tavern or Travellers Lodge, to find out whats going on.... .. If just his Dream had been clearer....
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-09-26 at 07:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Backing up to the evening we reunite. Maybe we could have Ethir arrive in the evening, so that he has a chance to contribute to the 'what's next' conversation? It feels like the options that GrayDeath has just laid out aren't even things that we've talked about.

As the four of them gathered in the room, Meredith switches again to elven for at least a modicum of privacy.

"So, Ptolemy...how did everything go with your cartographic friend? And are we all still good to depart after supper?"

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Ethir makes sure the glint of his golden eye is at least partially covered by his scarfs - best not to raise unwanted attention before he finds out about the people of the town.

He walks quietly, his back straight, knowing that despite his best efforts he will look like a stranger - so instead of pretending he is not a foreigner, he tries his best to be a quiet one, walking in the shadow of other people until he reaches the tavern, waits for someone to enter befpre him, and gets inside with him, immedietly stepping aside and taking a look around

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    "So, Ptolemy...how did everything go with your cartographic friend? And are we all still good to depart after supper?"
    "I should hope so. The sooner we are off, I believe, the better."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith

Meredith did her best to be patient with her colleagues and their seemingly interminable need to chew things, swallow things, and then, inevitably, excrete them again. She had some recollection of the whole thing being quite enjoyable in the doing, but as a thing to watch, it was much less interesting than, say, watching people play chess. Let alone getting on with the business of the day.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

to smooth it all a bit, and not require another 4-5 posts to get back on track, I amde a slight retcon.

You ahve made your purchases, and are now at breakfast, intending to elave for a palce where you cant be overheard to all get the Info that so far only Kelhedros has.

So far you talked a lot about the more imminent stuff and agreed to concentrate on that first, as the loss of one of the last "free" Towns will harm you more than loosing a day or 3 in solving it.

Ptolemy ahs told you that a lead leads to a strangely inconspüicious-seeming former trader who happens to have lived here for almost exactly as long as the COntract and its, so far as you know connected, "unnatural peracefulness" has been happening here, mentioned the second and third options of backing an honorable but very conservative Noble and simply....acting more directly.
    You ahve provisions and "normal stuff to travel" for at least a week, and collected all important Items you might need/have hidden/etc.

Ergo more or less what was discussed last time, jsut without the miscommunications^^).
    Even th last sentence of meridith fits, jsut replace supper with breakfast (after all, it was the middle of the night^^).

I decided that it would be better to have Ethir arrive "in the nick of time", especially since that also fits part of his Character, than to rehash the same things for a third time, especially since I feel that my insistence on you doing that might ahve contributed to the break alst time.

You can again talk about the direct stuff once yopu`re out of the Town anyway, so: All OK with that?

If anything regarding that is still unclear, just ask in the OOC thread, so far I ama ssuming you are all recent on the events and ready to start again.

While Meridith was mentally reminding herself that not everybody could be animated by clean, ssmell and tasteless invisible (except, you know, to Death Sages) Energy, she also as a side-thought remembered how strange it ahd been that their whole "Get called, arrive, get not told much, cant decide" meeting was for the Resistance.

Especially for people so high up that they interacted directly with her or the at most 10 other people with as uch skill and power.

So either whatever had been found out was so incredible that her old aquaintance had lost his cool entirely (given that Kelhedros was also kind of in a hurry, could be) or...that other things were influencing them.

Not herself, of course, which is why she seemed to be the only one present who immediately saw Ethir as he entered the Tavern and looked around without doing so obviously.

Swallowing a large chunk of honeyed Oatmeal Cake, Ptolemy answers: " I have everything we need for my...medium term goal, and yours I assume once we have talked, yes.
    But for now we should probably keep being inconspicious and finish eating, those of us that need to at elast, so that we can be on our way..."

Ethir is looked at obviously by one of the maids, who is jsut bringing out a large plank filled with thin fruit pancakes and fresh butter to a table right next to the door.

"Good Morning Sir. Something to eat, drink? We are a little full but back there are still a few palces free, if you want. I`ll come over in a jiffy." She smiles a bit wider than she would to a less attractive man, one should think, and goes on to deliver her load.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

"Normally I would balk at the thought of compromise, but I would rather have our business in this town resolved quickly and quietly. Let's see what Ptolemy's lead can do for us, or if indeed it turns out to be genuine at all."

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith

Meredith smiles at her two colleagues.

"Quickly and quietly can be a tricky combination. Quickly might be easy - we find out where the brother sleeps, and kill him - but that won't be quiet, and is likely to bring even more trouble down on the heads of this defenseless town.

"Quietly is also easy - we provide enough distractions back in Lerkoss' lap - not too hard to poison a few cisterns, make a few minor nobles disappear - that they're too busy to worry about taking on new territory. In the bigger picture, this is all lopping heads off of a hydra, but I'm all for reducing the proportion of a**holes to non-a**holes in the world."

She turns to Ethir for his thoughts.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

"Harrumph." Ptolemy stops Meridiths friendly collection of deadly plans. In the middle of an open breakfast area ...

"First however, we should see if we can do something without even revealing that we, or anyone else of our... Creed, was ever here. Which is kind of difficult if Nobles start dying, dont you agree? Which, if I might remind you, is why we all agreed upon first trying to find this mysterious Jarkhed character. Dont forget that just because it seems to be a simple "Noble takes over rivalling town" scenario ... we have more than a few hints sof ar that it is anything BUT."

He stops his low, hard to understand from even only 2 meters away, almost-tirade as Ethir steps up to their Table, the maid not too far behind, probably intending to take the new guests Orders.

"Ethir. Well, if that aint a pleasant surprise for once, I didnt think my message could have reached you quickly enough!"

As soon as Ethir ahs ordered and they all ahve made it look like they are well aquainted business aprtners, and not...somthing else, he quietly adds:

"If other options have failed, we can still go on and continue...gardening.
    " He adds with a smirk. Its not that Ptolemy has shown a lack of disgust for the Empires Nobles, its jsut that his whole setup, and role, is close enough to them that he always tries the less obvious actions first.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Ethir nods, his voice clear and quiet even behind the concealing rags Of course. A call to expand the path to perfection is not something one could easily Ignore, I believe. he nods quietly to the maid. Being a hermit doesn't mean starving himself to death, after all...

He turns to look at the others It is good to see that my path to the freedom of the people is not as lone as I thought when I took the first steps. You look like capable people He slightly inclines his head towards the rest of the group and it is always good to have someone at your side when you go...gardening? a smirk gleams on his face under the rags for a split second before disappearing into seriousness.

The details WERE a little vague I'll admit. More details as to the nature of the clues would be greatly appreciated.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Show
    I had taken my cue from your previous OOC note about finding a less obtrusive place to talk, and had assumed that that's where we were talking. Meredith is NOT stupid enough to discuss assassination over breakfast.

Once breakfast is consumed and paid for, Meredith leads the group back up to to room at the lodge.

"Okay. We're all among friends here. Let's stop the gardening metaphors and dire hints that 'there's more at play' and 'we need to be cautious', which are getting us precisely nowhere. Agreed?"

She lays out the situation for Ethir to the best of her ability.

"The duke of the neighbouring territory, Lerkoss, has claimed the freshly repaired bridge that is this town's lifeblood, charging a ruinous 10gp toll to cross. The implication is that it's a precursor to annexing the town as a whole. He has sent soldiers and his a**hat mage of a brother to enforce this. If Ptolemy has additional thoughts about what those hints are that there's more going on than that, I encourage him to make himself a lot clearer."

She shakes her head.

"Meanwhile, Ptolemy also had some kind of meeting yesterday, and had some sort of lead that was going to take us out of town, but he wouldn't tell me what that was."

She shrugged.

"Nobles die all the time. Sometimes at our hands. I happen to see that as a feature, not a bug. Now, I have no problem with killing the brother in a way that doesn't leave a body, or pursuing another course of action. But I swear, if somebody tells me that we need to me more thoughtful and subtle or some s**t without actually suggesting a course of action, I will be most put out."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-11-24 at 01:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well then. If we cannot be subtle, then let us at least be swift. We make the brother disappear, which will send an unmistakable message while allowing the village folk to truthfully say they know nothing - for whatever that is worth to the Empire. Then we can return to our original purpose here."

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

OK, since you seem intent on actually talking the plan out, that we agreed upon in the OOC that you already had talked out, please do so, but dfont expect Ptoelmy to hold back his disgust with your total lack of proffesionalism!

Jokes aside, see, just exactly that was intended to be done once you were OUTSIDE the town.
    If you dont tell me offtopic that you dont want to paly fluff but "jump ahead", how the heck am I supposed to know?

So now you get the discussiuon that we already did, 3/4ths offtopic and 1/4th in my post, in live.

Maybe it helps.

As for the future. The next time soneone of you tries to "move other characters/the scene" along I wills top it.

The only way a scene ends is if A: All palyers agree or (rare) B: I think I MUST move you along.

For the future please talk about your "frustrations" OOC, thats what that thread is for.

Ptoelmy shakes his head.

"Honestly. Is it demanding too much for you people to remember what we agreed upon? There are MASSIVE signs that some power outside the empires knowledge has been at work here. For decades. And noone noticed anything! I for one am more tham willing to expend both the effort necessary to make sure this town REMAINS both free and out of the Inquisitions" at that his gaze becomes positively withering as it is aimed for Meridith and Kelhedros, after all she should know that just because she no longer needs tof ear standard empire repurcussions,t hat is in no way true for THE PEOPLE of the empire, "So that maybe you 2 can keep your bloodthirsty istincts at least aimed at actually deserving people, and not at targets whose removbal will only lead to large scale investigation! I mean honestly, I didnt even ahve to tell you" he eyes the Elven Veteran, "Anything at all about you know what, and I`m sure you wouldnt be this...aggressive."

He takes a deep breath, obviously trying to calm down ...

"Honestly, one should think this is your first "Gardening" Trip. But please, illuminate me,. what do you think will happen once the Brother of a Duke, who himself is a fully acclaimed absolvent of merely the most prestigious Wizard Academy of this continent "ends up dead", huh?
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-11-25 at 10:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Ethir ever so slightly nods in response to the conversation
    The problem with just cutting someone out is people will look for a story. A meaningless death always means that the survivors will look for answers - or revenge. If we wish to take on the wizard and his soldiers, we must do so in such a way that points the blame away from the innocent. It is not enough that they will truly know nothing - The empire must not THINK that they knew something.