New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Against the Empire and the Faith - IC 1

Meredith mulls over options as they drop back a bit from the others who have crossed the bridge,

"It does indeed seem to be a lot of to-do for not very much, but if the town has just spent heavily to repair the bridge, they'll be eager to reclaim it. Perhaps there's a wedge that we can help drive home. If a blade were to appear between the shoulder blade of a certain wizard, for instance."

As for them paying attention to you...well, if our assignment here doesn't require the services of my domo, you would be more than welcome her magical disguise. Them knowing that a pair of noteworthy women have just arrived is not the same as knowing who we are."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"We can't simply murder every official of the empire. At that point, we'd be no better than the inquisition. No we need overwhelming force at a select few places to knock over this house of cards. At that point corrupt officials will cling together dragging each other to the abyss." That said, she couldn't help but picture the dukes brother mauled by a bear. Traveling across the bridge may of been a mistake, but little could be done now.

She watches the guards returning in numbers back to the bridge. This mage has let his "nobility" and power go to his head. Would I have turned out like that, had more parents not been murdered before my eyes. Could I ever be so callous, is he simply the victim of fate? No, I will not claim my life is controlled by some unseen force. I am here because I have decided to fight the rot of the empire, he is there waiting to be murdered because he has embraced the rot and fester the suffering of the common folk.
    Custom avatar by Emperor Ing

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Said Soldiers arrive at full Squad Strength (which in the 7 Realms is 8, 7 ranmk and file and one Seargent or corporal), and all with their Spears and Shields in Hand.

The Banner Bearer has by now somehow managed to let the banner of the Dukedom fly extra impüressively in the WInd (Meridith thinks that could be an Orison or similar), and the mage starts talking again.

Spoiler
    Show

As I am assuming you have continued towards the town, otherwise you 2 staying there would have caused a reaction, I rolled on what you heard. Sadly I rolled well ^^

Through a lucky break, wind going from the confrontation straight towards the 2 and the rest of the area being surprisingly quiet they hear "The Romkarov-Contract has expired 2 days ago. The only thing keeping your Town free is tradition, and inc ase you didnt know, we Nobles decide which Traditions to follow. Get this to your mayor, while he still is your Mayor: You ahve 3 days to petition the Dukedom for membership, if you dont, we will ... have to be more asgressive. Until then, we will continue taxing this Bridge. But as a sign that we, and not you, are actually worthy of ruling and taxing this area...." His horsle slowly canters towards the Bridge, he gesturs, and under some yellowish side effects, the Brigdge is suddenly as new....

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show

You both recognize the Spell as Make Whole. Given the Size of the Bridge one can assume that the Dukes Brother has a Caster Level of at least 7, given the damaged areas size and the Spells effects.

Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-08-17 at 03:41 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith works very hard not to be seen to be watching, but she can't help but nod in appreciation of the craft involved in repairing the bridge so seamlessly.

"Clever," she murmurs.

Norah's desire to avoid wholesale bloodshed was one of the things Meredith liked most about her. It made her wonder what else she had lost when she gave up a living body. Ah well. No use crying over congealed blood. Meredith waited until she was sure that there was no more to be heard on the wind, then turned to Norah.

"Sometimes, the best way to take down a house of cards is by yanking at every mid-level card you can. This screams 'opportunity' to me. If we can get the town up in open rebellion against these tactics, we set parts of the Empire against each other, and they do our job for us."

Inside the town, Meredith is content to follow Norah's lead - the human woman had always had a much better sense of direction.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

"Vyhrožují mu, ohrožují jeho rodinu, ať už to bude trvat cokoli. Nemělo by tu být nic, takže pokud zjistí, že jsme se hrabali kolem, zabouchnou okno. Měl bych přijít s dobrým přestrojením a osobností a měl bys předstírat, že mě neznáš."

Spoiler
    Show

"They'll threaten him, they'll threaten his family, whatever it takes. There's not supposed to be anything out here, so if they so much as find out that we were poking around, they'll slam the window shut. I should come up with a good disguise and persona, and you should pretend not to know me."

"I've got someone in mind myself: Spirited young man named Corrin, half-elf, takes after his elf side. Crack shot with a bow, and not bad with a sword either. Did a stint in the army, but it wasn't for him. Now he's looking for freelance work, strictly clean. This should be right up his alley. What do you think?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-08-18 at 01:47 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Udělejte, co si myslíte, že je nejlepší. Pokud vše půjde podle plánu, nebudou vědět, co se stane, až o několik měsíců později. " Ptomely nods his head then slowly stands. "Go grab him then and have him waiting nearby. I expect the girls to arrive soon. Barring anything unforeseen happening, I'd like to get to work on this map as soon as possible."

Ptomely turns away from his cohort, going into his sacks to pull out several stacks of his paper and a couple of his pens. He wouldn't be surprised if Kelhedros has already taken his leave when he turns back.

Sooner than he expects, he hears a knock on the door, the brisk but playful tone of another ally almost ringing in his ears. "Care to let in some traveling women?" Ptomely grab his sword cane, still in its hilt, and cautiously approaches the door. "What sort of man would deny the company of beautiful women? Please, come in. Sprechen Sie den Namen meines Freundes und geben Sie ein."
    Spoiler: Aklo Translation
    Show

Do what you think is best. If all goes according to plan, they won't know what happens until months later.

Spoiler: Orc Translation
    Show

Speak my friend's name, then enter
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2020-08-18 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith

Meredith smiles and calls back through the door:

"Freund? Hat dieser pompöse Idiot ein Schwert an deine Kehle gehalten, damit du ihn einen Freund nennst?"

Spoiler: Orcish
    Show
    "Friend? Did that pompous git hold a sword to your throat to get you to call him a friend?"

Waiting on the other side of the door are two women who are most definitely not Norah and Meredith*, but smile as if they were. The short woman glides in past, offering Ptolemy a quick, cool kiss on the cheek as she enters. In deference to Khelhedras, she switches to the elven tongue.

"Abbiamo una notizia entusiasmante."

Spoiler: Elven
    Show
    ""We have exciting news!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This is going on the assumption that Norah let Meredith lend her a hat of disguise. If so, Redfeline can pick a look at any point.

8. - Top - End - #38

BarbarianGuy

"Ah, your words wound me madam. Or at least they would if I didn't know your chest was hollow." Ptomely playfully teases, a big grin hidden under his scarf. His cheeks burn bright red when Meredith gives him a polite and chilly kiss. Stepping aside to make room for the two traveling ladies in the tight quarters, Ptomely's ears perk up when he hears Meredith's elvish tone. "Exciting news? What fun! Please share."
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2020-08-19 at 06:17 PM.
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith also goes to offer Kelhedros a brief but fond embrace, and then walks around a bit. She looks around the room, perhaps noticing something that the others hadn't. Stepping into a corner, she unfolds a fabric pouch on the floor, which becomes a hole in the floor.

"Domo, come!"

Reaching down into the hole, she lifts up a tall slender humanoid skeleton, with exaggerated nails and dressed in a servant's livery. Meredith pulls out a broom and cloth and hands them to to the skeleton.

"Clean this room."

Folding up the pouch and tucking it back into her armour again, Meredith settles on the edge of the bed and lets the skeleton get to work. Her voice is soft but chipper.

"Hai passato il ponte [a ovest] della cittŕ che č in costruzione? "Bene, un gruppo di teppisti del Duca Lerkoss si č impossessato di lui. Anche suo fratello č lě. Hanno aggiustato il ponte con la magia e hanno chiesto tassi assurdi per attraversare Quando una truppa di, ehm, truppe si presentň dalla cittŕ per lamentarsi, il fastidioso disse loro che avrebbero annesso la cittŕ in seguito."

Show
    Did you pass the bridge [west] of town that's under construction?" Well, a bunch of Duke Lerkoss' thugs took possession. His a**hat brother is even there. They fixed the bridge with magic, and demanded absurd rates to cross. When a troop of, er, troops showed up from the town to complain, the bother told them that they were annexing the town next.

She sighed.

"Purtroppo, Scarlet non mi ha permesso di ucciderlo e cercare di iniziare una guerra interna. Qualcosa sull'essere migliori di loro o qualcosa del genere."

Show
    Sadly, Scarlet wouldn't let me kill him and try to start an internal war. Something about being better than them or something.

She winked over at Scarlet with genuine fondness.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-08-19 at 06:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Kelhedros returned the embrace. Brief as it was, he still couldn't quite hide how hastily he pulled back from it. In just another instant, he regained his composure and was back to greeting the newcomers as old friends.

"Scommetto che le nostre notizie sono ancora piů eccitanti."

Spoiler
    Show

"I'll bet you our news is even more exciting."

In response to the news about the bridge, he let out a small sigh.

"The Empire is abusing its power. What else is new?"
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-08-19 at 09:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith either didn't notice Kelhedros moment of aversion, or else was so used to it that it no longer affected her. She leaned forward at his words, however, smiling broadly.

"L'impero che abusa del potere č una cosa. Si tratta di lotte intestine tra le potenze dell'impero. Qualcosa che, forse, possiamo usare.

Ma questo puň aspettare. Voglio le tue notizie! Voglio le tue notizie!"

Show
    The empire abusing power is one thing. This is infighting among the powers of the empire. Something that, perhaps, we can use.

But that can wait. I want your news! I want your news!

Meredith clapped her hands in delighted anticipation. Domo lifted the bed with one hand in order to sweep underneath.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

"You found it, Ptolemy. Do you want the pleasure of telling them?"

13. - Top - End - #43

BarbarianGuy

Ptomely brings his finger to his mouth in contemplation as he hears of Scarlet and Meredith's brief encounter. You can almost see the wheels turning in his head as he thinks on this. When Kelhedros speaks to him, Ptomely jumps a little bit, his mind snapping back to reality. "Hmm? Ah, yes. If it is alright, I'd prefer to not talk of it again until we are safely out of town and on our way. Dirň questo. Anche il minimo successo in questa impresa dovrebbe aiutare a sbilanciare la sede del potere che detengono i nostri nemici.".
    Show

I will say this. Even the slightest bit of success in this venture should help unbalance the seat of power our enemies hold.

Ptomely's eyes suddenly focus as he realizes.....there is a large skeleton picking up his bed to sweep under it. "Από τους επτά θεούς, το παρακαλώ! Απαλά! Meredith my dear thank you for the consideration, but I would have cleaned it myself and be a lot less conspicuous!"
    Spoiler: Necril Translation
    Show

By the seven Gods, put that down please! Gently!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith shrugs at Ptolemy's concern, but speaks with a soft but steely tone.

"Domo, put it down gently. Stop cleaning and hand me the broom and cloth."

She shrugs, accepting Ptolemy's desire for extra precautions at face value.

"
    Mie scuse. Pensavo che se ci fossimo incontrati qui, saremmo rimasti per un po '. Puoi almeno dirci la nostra prossima destinazione, allora, o quando vorrai partire. Non ... mi stanco davvero, ma Scarlet č stata la sua solita sé energica."

Show
    My apologies. I thought that if we were meeting here, we'd be staying for a bit. Can you at least tell us our next destination, then, or when you'll want to leave? I don't...really get tired, but Scarlet has been a her usual energetic self.

Receiving the cleaning implements back from Domo, Meredith quickly stows the skeleton back in her pouch and is ready to go.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

"Energetic, yeah that is me." It bugged her slightly to have a skeleton cleaning a random room at an inn. "I don't think we have the easy option of just leaving tomorrow, that would catch more attention. For the time being Meredith and I are committed to sleeping one night down stairs. So if we can disrupt the occupation of the city tonight we can. However we would need to do it quietly. I am a little disappointed you won't tell us why we are here. I doubt the four of us are ever willing allowed in one room at one time, to be gathered here. Our patrons must be planing something, and I assume it is more important than some petty noble. As is I don't like how that magic user looked at me, I feel he has some wild ideas and would prefer to leave town before he causes problems, or can set problems to our faces. "

She sighs "If you truly wish not to speak our mission, perhaps I can disguise as a guard and intimidating him into leaving now."

16. - Top - End - #46

BarbarianGuy

"My dear Scarlet, the only reason I don't speak of it now is because of its grave importance. Our Destination is approximately one hundred and twenty miles away in the wilderness. Once we are well and away from here, I will share all that I know. We'll need to secure a cover, of which I already have a decent one in mind that should explain any magic we may cast. In the meantime, I would recommend against trying to scare the Duke's brother away. Brannagh Lerkoss is a graduate and Alumni of the magic schools, he will not scare easy, nor will he be easy to bring down without causing a scene. If the only thing they're after is Gold and bragging rights to owning the most mysteriously peaceful village in the kingdom, I say let them have their fun. The real prize will be ours."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meredith shrugged and continued in Elven.

"Right now, everyone in town is either going to be focused on dealing with Branagh and his thugs, or they ARE Branagh and his thugs and they're focused on taking over the town. Even if someone miraculously does give two rat's a**es about two gorgeous women not spending a night in the room they paid for, they're looking for women who aren't us.

"I say we have a lovely supper - well, you have a lovely supper, change our look and head out of town in the dusk. The walls are no obstacle. I can have us...wherever we're going by dawn."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

well it sounds to me we have nothing to debate. Let us be on our way and soon. If the destinationis no where near here, I dont mind burning my ability to be here for some time.

19. - Top - End - #49

BarbarianGuy

Ptomely's straightens himself up, a little happy that everyone is eager to get going. "I'm all set on supper, but feel free to charge anything you want to my room. If one of you wouldn't mind accompanying me, I'm going to go see a compatriot of mine who I'm sure wouldn't mind some help mapping the surrounding wilderness. he should make a great cover for us all."

Once everyone has agreed when to reconvene, Ptomely heads out with his ally into the town. The relatively quiet streets are easy to navigate as he makes his way toward the home and shop of Mark Loram, the town's old Mapmaker.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

"I should stay here, what with all the goings-on in town. I'll admit I haven't been as careful as I should have; it wasn't prudent to enter town undisguised in the first place."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Ptolemy finds the streets to be more travelled than would be expected on an afternoon in Summer, meaning both soldiers and various traders are moving to and fro.

Directly outside 2 young men are haggling with the Lodges owner over 8 large cans of Milk, given that they had to pay 5% of their money, meaning they intend to increase the cost of the Milk by that much.
    It does not seem to be going their way, as the old Orc shows both resilience and good haggling skills.

Further out a unit of 8 Soldiers is heading for the only Watchtower between Town and Bridge that is outside the Walls, pulling a small Ballista intend to fortify, Ptolemy is sure.

Almost at his goal, he sees his contact arguing with a well clad, middle aged man who is accompanied by 2 Soldiers.

Even without trying to stealthily hear what is said, his Contact seems more than a little bit angry.

".....the point. I am a mapmaker. If I have to pay tithes to a Lord that I have no reason to be a subordinate off every time I or my apprentice leave town, my business is as good as dead. So how about you do what a Mayor is supposed to do, and get the Empire to intervene?"

The thereby identified MAyor shakes his head, seeming almost disgusted.

"And what am I supposed to do? The best we can expect is to hold out long enough to get some concessions. We cannot fight a Duke. So I am telling you the same I told the other wealthier Residents. Expect my men to come again tomorrow."

Turning around, he spots Ptolemy going for the mapmakers house, and seemingly ignores him almost totally.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Scarlet takes in the scene briefly and decides to make a quick play while she can."Ptomely, this sounds so different from what the girls we passed in town where saying... You remember how they were saying they would rather pay a tithe once or twice to keep their independence. How they would use that money so the mayor could hire an oathwarden to renew the contract as best they can... Go ahead tell them. She pauses long enough for Ptomely to open his mouth and cuts him off. Of coarse, I would contact all our trade partners. I doubt they want to pay extra tithes on needed goods, and they say Duke Lerkoss is all about taxes and tithes. Cheaper to hire our own oathwarden than it is to pay Lerkoss, or so I hear... but I got no head for this stuff. I just hear what other people say. She paused and looked at the mayor and our contact, trusting that the seeds of doubt have been sown. "Oh sorry, did I say too much again? Well not really what I was saying it is what people in the town square were saying."

She steps over to Ptomely, and meekly takes his hand. Remaining quiet and trying to look away like she had forgotten herself. "You should of told them."

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+29)[31] diplomacy (1d20+26)[38] bluff if needed to convince the mayor, this is something I herd a few people entering town say.
    (1d20+10)[17] knowledge nobility for neighboring trade cities.

Last edited by redfeline; 2020-08-26 at 08:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

"What do you make of all this? Given the importance of what we're about to do, I would rather we give this town the slip."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm going with the assumption that Scarlet and Ptolemy have left, and Khelhedras and Meredith are back in the room.

Meredith lays back on the bed and practices switching among personas.

"Well, I've already suggested that we head out tonight. And since you and Ptolemy have made it clear that this isn't the time or place for whatever it is you've found out. Or instigated. Which I am now, respectfully, not asking more about."

She briefly experiments with turning into a male dwarf, but her heart isn't in it, and she switches to an elderly woman.

"So, in the meantime.. You know that new wall that they're building around Mistraton? Won't survive the winter. Delvers are hell on foundations. And what've you been up to the last few months?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

"Honestly, not much worth mentioning—keeping the proverbial ear to the ground, listening for opportunities and looking for like-minded individuals to bring on board. Finding new blood's getting harder—people are already starting to forget. But the way things are suddenly going in this town, it might turn out to be a good place to recruit after all."

26. - Top - End - #56

BarbarianGuy

Ptomely pauses awkwardly as he stares at the two men, Scarlet hiding behind his back. The gears grind in his head as he tries to think of what to say. Raising his other hand up to his mouth, he quickly clears his throat. "W-While that may be true my dear, there isn't a Oathwarden any where close that would redraft the contract in time." Watching the faces of the two men, he waits for acknowledgment, if any, before continuing. "The best bet at the moment may be to simply call a town meeting and hear everyone's thoughts and concerns. Anyway, I was hoping to speak with you, Mark. But I can return later if now is not a good time."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"Good thinking. The more that the Empire tightens its grip, the more free towns will slip through their fingers.

"That's the theory, right? I'm more inclined to poke holes in those fingers, but I can certainly see the synergy."

Meredith slid up to a sitting position.

"But if I can help in any way with the recruiting drive, let me know."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

The (probably) Mayor looks at Scarlet quite askance, not seeming less surprised when she then grasps Ptoelmy`s hand and kind of hides.

"Ahem, well, there will be a Town Council meeting in the morrow, as I was about to say when you interrupted us. but so far it does not seem to be looking good....hence why I must be going. See you tomorrow, mark."
    And with that, he and his Bodyguards leave without another word.

Mark on the other Hand seems ...interested in Ptolemy and Scarlet.
    "So, you need to talk to me. That does not by pure coincidence include the chance to earn enough Money to bribe an Oathwarden, or someone willing to punch the Duke in the Face?"

His tone says he is trying his best to seem unaffected, but his eyes and pose tell another story. Mark is tense, almost to snapping.

29. - Top - End - #59

BarbarianGuy

Ptomely silently swears to himself. He did not want to waste time dealing with Nobility, not when there was greater prize just around the bend. But the desperate look on the mayor's face as he left, the hushed voices of the people as they made their way there, and the deep seated anger in his friend's eyes all tell him that something has to be done. "Money does no good if the thing you want to buy is unavailable. Beyond that I can make no promises......though maybe we can discuss it inside? He's already dreading the conversation with Kelhedros and Meredith after he had so firmly stated his resolve, but Ptomely simply isn't ready to risk his public identity yet, he needs this cover story to keep face, at least until things go as planned.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

"A lot of people just don't care: as I said, they're starting to forget, or are too young to have ever known. In cases like this, the Empire itself comes in to remind people what they're truly like. In any case, I think recruiting will have to wait. Aside from anything else, there's no time to properly vet any strangers who want to come aboard."