New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Edamame

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Edamame

So my quest for a better source of Potassium has brought up Edamame. It has a fantastic nutritional content, high fiber and protein, low fat and non-fiber carbs. Lots of vitamins, most importantly 20% of potassium content per cup, which has 17 grams of protein and 200 calories. So 5 cups a day nets you 100% of potassium for only 1K calories, large amounts of which are fiber and protein.

But I know nothing of Edamame beans, so I'm wondering what recipes taste best, what form is best to purchase them in, experiences people have had, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Edamame

They're just unprocessed soybeans, basically. 'Edamame' usually refers to them still in the pod; those are often steamed or boiled, salted, and then eaten out of the shell as a snack or appetizer. The pre-shelled ones are mukimame or might just be listed as soybeans.

They're.. beans, really. Use 'em for things you'd use beans for. Lightly cooked and kept cold they work pretty well in salads, you can season them and eat them as a side dish, thicken up a soup or broth, etc.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    They're just unprocessed soybeans, basically. 'Edamame' usually refers to them still in the pod; those are often steamed or boiled, salted, and then eaten out of the shell as a snack or appetizer. The pre-shelled ones are mukimame or might just be listed as soybeans.

They're.. beans, really. Use 'em for things you'd use beans for. Lightly cooked and kept cold they work pretty well in salads, you can season them and eat them as a side dish, thicken up a soup or broth, etc.
    And here I thought you were supposed to eat them raw and eat the shell.

Still, best calorie to potassium I have run across. Seems like I have to start eating soybeans.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    And here I thought you were supposed to eat them raw and eat the shell.
    I've never really tried, tbh, but at least when I've had edamame the shells are really tough and fibrous - if not completely inedible they would be a very unpleasant experience to try to eat, and cooking them to a degree that broke them down enough to eat would probably completely wreck the actual beans.

..I guess you could try making like edamame smoothies, but I'd look at you weird the same as I do people who claim fully grown kale is edible and not, in fact, made of pure indigestible weird green-tasting fiber.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

In this case is would recommend.

Start by steaming for a few min.
    Hit with potassium chloride (most common brand name NoSalt)

Keep around for snacks, appetizers, or a side dish (they can be really good to break up a more smooth textured dish like a soup that may not feel very filling or like you have used your mouth and not "eaten" in some psychological/kinesthetic way).

as for the pod itself I like them. Then again I like celery, kale, and similar. They can be overcooked and recommend just popping the whole pod in your mouth at once...and keep chewing until is just dissolves (it will feel like you are eating more that way)
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-08-10 at 03:37 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I've never really tried, tbh, but at least when I've had edamame the shells are really tough and fibrous - if not completely inedible they would be a very unpleasant experience to try to eat, and cooking them to a degree that broke them down enough to eat would probably completely wreck the actual beans.

..I guess you could try making like edamame smoothies, but I'd look at you weird the same as I do people who claim fully grown kale is edible and not, in fact, made of pure indigestible weird green-tasting fiber.
    I mean, mixed with other stuff it is fine. I like a lot of different plants mixed together, lots of different flavors. It's almost a Chard Shots joke from Parks and Rec though.

Well these turned out to be hard to eat in bulk. Seems like a good food to discourage over eating, I have to chew forever to make these ok.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-08-10 at 09:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I mean, mixed with other stuff it is fine. I like a lot of different plants mixed together, lots of different flavors. It's almost a Chard Shots joke from Parks and Rec though.

Well these turned out to be hard to eat in bulk. Seems like a good food to discourage over eating, I have to chew forever to make these ok.
    Maybe it's that I've only eaten cooked frozen edamame, but in my experience they probably shouldn't be that hard to eat? Like, they have a crunch, but they're more like vegetal peanuts than anything I would describe as hard to eat.
    Last edited by AdAstra; 2020-08-11 at 11:39 PM.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    Maybe it's that I've only eaten cooked frozen edamame, but in my experience they probably shouldn't be that hard to eat? Like, they have a crunch, but they're more like vegetal peanuts than anything I would describe as hard to eat.
    I suspect that The tyrant of the valley has been trying to eat the pods too...which would be explain both the fiberousness (its more like a knot of twine than classically rubbery-chewiness) and that non-peanut like association. . . I totally agree, I just happen to LIKE the must-chew-forever aspect (in fact that's my primary attraction to them) and relatedly as a weight loss thing they can be pretty good for that (serious protein, several good micronutients, helps avoid overeating and helps make a meal feel bigger both at the table and after)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I suspect that The tyrant of the valley has been trying to eat the pods too...which would be explain both the fiberousness (its more like a knot of twine than classically rubbery-chewiness) and that non-peanut like association. . . I totally agree, I just happen to LIKE the must-chew-forever aspect (in fact that's my primary attraction to them) and relatedly as a weight loss thing they can be pretty good for that (serious protein, several good micronutients, helps avoid overeating and helps make a meal feel bigger both at the table and after)
    Yeah. I poured my chicken over the pods and tried to eat them that way. I got through probably 10 before I gave up and started opening them and just eating the beans, I just ran out of will power.

They seem like a good alternative to gum. Have a few to chew into a pulp and then swallow on the go.

10. - Top - End - #10

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah. I poured my chicken over the pods and tried to eat them that way. I got through probably 10 before I gave up and started opening them and just eating the beans, I just ran out of will power.

They seem like a good alternative to gum. Have a few to chew into a pulp and then swallow on the go.
    Yeah....totally see how that would not be ideal.
    You know how I said they are good as snack, appetizer, side dish? I REALLY meant that. . . shelled they can be added to a dish but in the pod I have never seen it work
    They do make a good alternative to gum actually but mostly I like them as snack food. . . they are far better for you than chips or whatnot and you only chew through about two in the time and chews it takes to eat an entire bag of chips.
    Last edited by sktarq; 2020-08-14 at 05:53 PM.