New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Gave my wizard a tie to the Shadow Weave. I could use extra suggestions

Okay. So to explain. The party helped the Raven queen in a home brew setting, and she as a reward tied the wizard into the Shadow Weave, Mixing it up with his normal magic weave.
    How he has "Shadow Points" Which the ruling for it as it stands, is that your number of shadow points is capped to your spell casting mod and it refills to cap after long rest.

It kind of functions like a sort of meta magic system but I need extra ideas to really flesh it out. To clear things up further. The system is more so focused around the school of spell. So pretty much this.

Shadow weave 5e house rules
    Any spell that sheds light at all instead sheds darkness

Shadow points = to casting mod

Necromancy-double the duration of all spells
    Abjuration - Any creature that attacks you while you are concentrating on a spell of this school they take 1d6 psychic damage
    Illusion - the D/C to see through your increases by 5 and there is a 10% that physically interacting with it won't show it is an illusion
    Conjuration - When casting a spell of this school gain temp hp equal to the level of the spell times 3
    Evocation - half the damage counts as necrotic and ignores resistance
    Transmutation - Can be cast as a bonus action
    Divination- Divination- when you try to detect or scry scry on a creature, that creature takes a -3 to any save they would have to make
    Enchantment - when a enemy makes a save against your enchantment spells they take your spell casting mod + plus spell level in psychic damage

They are far from perfect and some of which don't even fit that thematically. But I love the idea of getting more into the other source of magic in the world. So any other thematic but useful ideas of what a school of spell might be altered or boosted by tapping into the Shadow Weave?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Gave my wizard a tie to the Shadow Weave. I could use extra suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by FoxWolFrostFire View Post
    Okay. So to explain. The party helped the Raven queen in a home brew setting, and she as a reward tied the wizard into the Shadow Weave, Mixing it up with his normal magic weave.
    How he has "Shadow Points" Which the ruling for it as it stands, is that your number of shadow points is capped to your spell casting mod and it refills to cap after long rest.

It kind of functions like a sort of meta magic system but I need extra ideas to really flesh it out. To clear things up further. The system is more so focused around the school of spell. So pretty much this.

Necromancy-double the duration of all spells
    Abjuration - Any creature that attacks you while you are concentrating on a spell of this school they take 1d6 psychic damage
    Illusion - the D/C to see through your increases by 5 and there is a 10% that physically interacting with it won't show it is an illusion
    Conjuration - When casting a spell of this school gain temp hp equal to the level of the spell times 3
    Evocation - half the damage counts as necrotic and ignores resistance
    Transmutation - Can be cast as a bonus action
    Divination- Divination- when you try to detect or scry scry on a creature, that creature takes a -3 to any save they would have to make
    Enchantment - when a enemy makes a save against your enchantment spells they take your spell casting mod + plus spell level in psychic damage

They are far from perfect and some of which don't even fit that thematically. But I love the idea of getting more into the other source of magic in the world. So any other thematic but useful ideas of what a school of spell might be altered or boosted by tapping into the Shadow Weave?
    Just for info: are you the one making the homebrew, or are you looking for suggestions for your DM who's the one homebrewing it?

According to what I could find, the Shadow Weave boosted Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Gave my wizard a tie to the Shadow Weave. I could use extra suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Just for info: are you the one making the homebrew, or are you looking for suggestions for your DM who's the one homebrewing it?

According to what I could find, the Shadow Weave boosted Enchantment, Illusion and Necromancy.
    I'm the on preforming the homebrew. I know that it had a heavy focus on those three schools above all else, But I was wondering what other nifty ideas or the likes that could be used for the other schools of magic if one were so interested in expanding it. I know that light spell auto failed, but I changed that to they instead admit shadow.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I'm the on preforming the homebrew. I know that it had a heavy focus on those three schools above all else, But I was wondering what other nifty ideas or the likes that could be used for the other schools of magic if one were so interested in expanding it. I know that light spell auto failed, but I changed that to they instead admit shadow.
    Have you looked at the Dunamancy stuff from the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount? Might be good inspiration.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Have you looked at the Dunamancy stuff from the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount? Might be good inspiration.
    I have looked at Dunamancy, it was an interesting read. But most of the stuff I started thinking about when it came to that was either new spells or sub classes. I wanted something more in a build of say a feat. All be a feat on a far more powerful side. So with the idea of it being a feat, Which gives you points, and you can spend those points on Shadow Weave stuff. What do you suggest? I am looking for things outside of the Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy. As those are easy enough to adjust with Shadow Weave. The hardest parts I'm coming up with is Divination, Transmutation, and Conjuration spells respectively. I might add a form of teleportation or blink effect to Conjuration and Transmutation.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

I have looked at Dunamancy, it was an interesting read. But most of the stuff I started thinking about when it came to that was either new spells or sub classes. I wanted something more in a build of say a feat. All be a feat on a far more powerful side. So with the idea of it being a feat, Which gives you points, and you can spend those points on Shadow Weave stuff. What do you suggest? I am looking for things outside of the Enchantment, Illusion, and Necromancy. As those are easy enough to adjust with Shadow Weave. The hardest parts I'm coming up with is Divination, Transmutation, and Conjuration spells respectively. I might add a form of teleportation or blink effect to Conjuration and Transmutation.
    What I would suggest (although I understand it's not what you're looking for) is that Divination, Transmutation, Conjuration, and also Abjuration and Evocation would be weaker/more costly to use through the Shadow Weave (with the exception of summoning beings liked to the Shadow Weave through Conjuration). Although the spells would be harder to dispel or Counterspell with regular magic.

From what I read, using the Shadow Weave isn't a power boost, it's a trade-off with hidden costs.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-08-10 at 02:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What I would suggest (although I understand it's not what you're looking for) is that Divination, Transmutation, Conjuration, and also Abjuration and Evocation would be weaker/more costly to use through the Shadow Weave (with the exception of summoning beings liked to the Shadow Weave through Conjuration).

From what I read, using the Shadow Weave isn't a power boost, it's a trade-off with hidden costs.
    That it is. But from what i read, that is when you trade the weave out for the Shadow Weave. What I was going for is briefly mixing the two sources of magic, just a spark enough to flair some interesting things. But I will say that conversing with you has already improved my ideas, All be it in a very in direct way. Here is the updated model of my take on the Shadow Weave. Also still being aware that with in the source game that Shadow Weave makes some school of magic weaker and other stronger, I'm leaning in towards that is if you cut your self fully from the Weave to tie your self to Shar and her Shadow Weave.

What I wanted with this is kind of you open up the threads of the weave to find the hidden one made by Shar under it and let just a tiny bit of it's power leak into your magics.

Necromancy- Cast as a Bonus action, and any undead raised with the Shadow Weave gain an extra HP equal to twice your spell casting stat

Abjuration - Any creature that attacks someone you cast an Abjuration spell with a melee attack will take 1d10 necrotic damage

Illusion - the D/C of your illusion spells by 5 and there is a 10% that physically interacting with it won't show it is an illusion

Conjuration - When casting a spell of this school you may teleport is a burst of Shadowy smoke and move up to ten feet without provoking an attack

Evocation - Any creature that you miss with a spell attack or passes a saving throw will take 2d6 Psychic Damage

Transmutation - When you cast a Transmutation spell while attached to the Shadow weave, Your body is cloaked in Shadow. Defending you and giving you temp HP Equal to the spells level times three

Divination- When you cast a Divination spell using Shadow Weave, you admit an area of none detection outwards of 10 feet

Enchantment - when a enemy passes a save against your enchantment spells they take your spell casting mod + plus spell level in psychic damage

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Arguably, mixing the two is like mixing rocket fuel and jet fuel in your Concorde to make it go faster: the only thing that'll happen is you explode.

Or perhaps it's like AC and DC current - either one can potentially power a TV, but trying to use both at once doesn't make sense.

Personally I would have it so that Shadow Weave Points can be spent instead of a spell slot to cast a spell. The spell must be of the schools or Necromancy or Illusion, or a spell that creates magical darkness. If the spell has a duration of at least 1 minute and requires concentration, the duration is doubled. If the spell creates magical darkness, that darkness is not dispelled by a Daylight spell. If the spell is an illusion which allows an Intelligence (Investigation) check to determine it is real, then the DC of that check is increased by 2.