New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Castlevania Netflix Series

So I was in desperate need of a fantasy fix. After the stellar experiences that were the Dragon Prince and She Ra's final season, I needed something to satiate my lust for fantasy ****.

Discovererd this series existed, and just finished binging the first season +2 episode of the next season.

That **** is the good stuff guys. Melodramatic superfantasy horror anime-esque. The only annoying thing is that I feel all episodes are way too short. But then is that such a bad thing that it leaves me wanting more?

I only have 2 questions:

- does it keep up?
    - is there more scheduled after season 3?
    - what other fantasy series you could recommend in the same vein?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Castlevania Netflix Series

Season two is a bit slower and a bit less focused overall, but I didn't think it was bad.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Season two is a bit slower and a bit less focused overall, but I didn't think it was bad.
    I feel not having a tight focus at the start is probably the weakest aspect of the Dragon Prince. So doing a minimalist mini-series to introduce the concepts and grab your attention, and then going for more elaborate large scale plot is a great move, pacing-wise.

I know I love the addition of the War Council plots. Keeps the focus of the show neatly divided between the heroes and the villains.

In a way, season 1 acts as a prologue movie.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's one of the best video game adaptations ever made.

That might be more an indictment of other attempts to adapt video games than an endorsement of this one, but I still stand by it.

My one criticism is how ridiculously OP the main trio are. I get it, they have to be pretty strong to take on Dracula of all people, but it's hard to feel any tension in any of their fights when they're Bayonetta-ing their way through hordes of demons with barely a scratch. Even the "mage" character has reflexes that would make a Jedi's jaw drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's one of the best video game adaptations ever made.

That might be more an indictment of other attempts to adapt video games than an endorsement of this one, but I still stand by it.

My one criticism is how ridiculously OP the main trio are. I get it, they have to be pretty strong to take on Dracula of all people, but it's hard to feel any tension in any of their fights when they're Bayonetta-ing their way through hordes of demons with barely a scratch. Even the "mage" character has reflexes that would make a Jedi's jaw drop.
    I don't mind that at all.

It's anime Bull****. As long as the animators have a blast doing something cool with sword and magic, I don't see the problem. Just don't make it boring.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I don't mind that at all.

It's anime Bull****. As long as the animators have a blast doing something cool with sword and magic, I don't see the problem. Just don't make it boring.
    It is anime but it is more like Jedi with reflexes and style. People perfectly make the landing, people can jump much further than normal, people have 360 degree awareness of what is happening around their body, very Jedi or perhaps better described as "Wuxia" which is a different style than Anime Shounen.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7

I really think it's worth noting that even with intense reflexes, our heroes still take hits, and pretty bad ones at times. The thing is that because of WHAT they are fighting, they have to be ridiculous because even a basic ass vampire can take a human's being head off, and they're the weakest thing our heroes fight.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I really think it's worth noting that even with intense reflexes, our heroes still take hits, and pretty bad ones at times. The thing is that because of WHAT they are fighting, they have to be ridiculous because even a basic ass vampire can take a human's being head off, and they're the weakest thing our heroes fight.
    Yeah we are talking sabretooth level fights not superman or wonderwoman (or the equivalent marvel)

What is this level wise in 3.5 D&D? 4 to 6th level spells / effects? Dracula level 8 / weak 9 effects?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yeah we are talking sabretooth level fights not superman or wonderwoman (or the equivalent marvel)

What is this level wise in 3.5 D&D? 4 to 6th level spells / effects? Dracula level 8 / weak 9 effects?
    I'd say a bit higher than that, and way higher for Dracula with the caveat that he is intentionally holding back as much as possible since he wants to die.

Whatever the case, it is a case of extreme rocket tag.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Personally, I felt a little let down by Season 2, which I thought would have a grander scope than "Alucard, Trevor and Sypha go to a library to find a book on killing Dracula while a bunch of vampire generals bicker around the castle."

But Season 3 was quite a bit better, so I'm fully on board the Castlevania train again. Choo-choo!
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-08-10 at 01:53 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'd say a bit higher than that, and way higher for Dracula with the caveat that he is intentionally holding back as much as possible since he wants to die.

Whatever the case, it is a case of extreme rocket tag.
    The effects feel 6th level spells to me. Perhaps with some extra outsider HD, or perhaps gestalt so you can have near infinite spells per day, extra feats, etc.
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2020-08-10 at 06:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    - is there more scheduled after season 3?
    Officially, the show has been renewed for a fourth season, yes. But that was announced before that whole mess with Warren Ellis came out, so I'm not sure if that will have any impact on it or not.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Personally, I felt a little let down by Season 2, which I thought would have a grander scope than "Alucard, Trevor and Sypha go to a library to find a book on killing Dracula while a bunch of vampire generals bicker around the castle."

But Season 3 was quite a bit better, so I'm fully on board the Castlevania train again. Choo-choo!
    I completely get where you're coming from, but I'll be honest I could take an entire series of vampires hanging out discussing the logistics of vampirism and how ****ing stupid they think each other are. It's why What We Do In The Shadows is so popular. Some of the series best lines are from season 2 I think, from Godbrand being incapable of seeing things are anything other than victim, sex object, or boat (or all three) to the argument about running water and vampiric weaknesses.

But again, I do get what you mean. It's kinda slow and plodding... and then the action DOES start and it is amazing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Officially, the show has been renewed for a fourth season, yes. But that was announced before that whole mess with Warren Ellis came out, so I'm not sure if that will have any impact on it or not.
    According to this website, his work on the fourth season was complete before the sexual abuse allegations come out.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...eyond_series_4
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2020-08-10 at 06:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys have any other series, anime or western, of the same kind of quality fantasy drama? I don't mind some good comedy - I did loved She Ra and the Dragon Prince, as long as there's epic world with epic magic and fighting.

16. - Top - End - #16

Hm. The epic part is difficult. I know some decent low-key fantasy, but all the more epic stuff I know is for the most part really bad.

17. - Top - End - #17

Well I mean, you mentioned anime and it's a staple over there. Fairy Tail, 7DS, MHA, AOT, Demon Slayer, Hunter x Hunter, Black Clover, One Piece, FMA Brotherhood, Blue Exorcist, D. Gray-Man, Tokyo Ghoul, Noragami, Soul Eater etc etc etc.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18

Yeah, I've seen more than half of that list, and i didn't really like any of it. Some of it was atrociously bad.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah, I've seen more than half of that list, and i didn't really like any of it. Some of it was atrociously bad.
    Well, I was responding to Cikomyr to be perfectly honest since they were the one asking the question, but how enjoyable someone finds these generally correlates to how they feel about shounen anime in general.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, I was responding to Cikomyr to be perfectly honest since they were the one asking the question, but how enjoyable someone finds these generally correlates to how they feel about shounen anime in general.
    I appreciate the effort!! But I don't feel going to an ever going shonen. I tried Fairy Tails, but I felt it meanders a lot rather than having an actual, focused plot. Which can be fun, but is not what I am looking for.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Adds Records to the Lodoss War and its half dozen spin off anime tv shows, ovas, movies, etc that take place in the same world but most of the spinoffs do not take place on the island of Lodoss.

(Note these properties are based off real life tabletop rpg sessions of a group that were then adapted into books and then adapted into anime.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

It's also on Netflix, and has a couple spin-offs too, so I'll say I enjoyed Trollhunters et al. I just put Wizards on my list. They're all Tales of Arcadia.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, I personally haven't played it, but I have seen about a hundred Youtube ads now assuring me that if you like fantasy, then you're going to love Raid: Shadow Legends.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I am not a fan of anime in general. I find the stories to be illogical and the characters behave irrationally and are overly dramatic. However, I do like certain adult themed animated series and this Castlevania is one of them. It's one where the story and awesome action overcome the awkward dramatic pauses that I can't stand. Also being a fan of the video game series for decades helps as well.

I think the best animated series that I can compare it to is HBO's Spawn animated series from the late 1990's. When I renewed HBO to watch the last season of Game of Thrones I re-watched the whole Spawn series on demand. It still holds up as one of my all-time favorites.

On Netflix I kind of liked the new Voltron and yeah Dragon Prince was ok too. A friend of mine at work also suggested the Arcadia series which Guillermo Del Toro (semi-famous horror movie director) is involved in.