New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Verbally confusing green and orange

I saw that there was a thread for this from a long time ago and am hoping to connect with anyone who also has this weird condition. I will call something orange, green - and a green item, orange. KNOWING full well the difference in colors, it just comes out wrong. It'd be fun to know I'm not alone! :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Verbally confusing green and orange

Are you sure that you just aren't daltonic?

I occasionally swap people's names because for some strange reason I consider some of them synonymous to each other (Matthew and Simon, for example), it could be that, to you, green and orange are synonymous. It's very deeply ingrained in my case and doesn't have much to do with logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Probably just an association in your brain that causes it to come out wrong. Associations can be built off the most random things and if used repeatedly, they grow stronger eventually making it nigh' impossible to ignore. From there, it's just a short leap to saying the wrong thing while thinking of the other. Well, I know that my normal speech (and indeed, writing) often features cases of me thinking one thing and saying another for a variety of reasons (mental priming, distracting thought processes, etc.) - though of course, simply being extremely tired produces such results as well.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

I've never had that with colours, but I have done it with left and right.

Also with various actors and actresses with vaguely similar names.

E.g. Once I had a complete mental blank on the guy who played the Fresh Prince, and the only name that kept coming to mind was Bruce Willis. (Which I knew was wrong, but for some reason just couldn't remember the correct answer, as if some hacker had gone through my brain and wiped all references to Will Smith).

I also frequently mix up Audie Murphy and Audrey Hepburn (or turn them into Audie Hepburn / Audrey Murphy).

(I think this is a different issue from thinking one person is someone else, because its not a case of getting the physical identification wrong, its just assigning the wrong name to the person).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have very bad spatial reasoning/intelligence, and even now as an adult I have difficulty remembering which one is right and which one is left.

No seriously, if someone told me to "turn left" I'll have to do this shorthand I invented as a kid. I imagine two letters in front of me, A and B, and A is left and B is right. That's how I decide which one is left and which one is right even now. Not the words, the direction.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Simply being slightly color blind gives me enough trouble with identifying colors. I usually overcompensate and assume that what I see as blues are purples when describing things, just because people have corrected me so many times.

I also have trouble mixing up actors' names. Not the people themselves, just their names. Most notably Julie Andrews and Julia Roberts (their names both start with Juli- and their last names are both the plural of a man's first name).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Probably just an association in your brain that causes it to come out wrong.
    Probably that. It happens to me to call a friend of mine Andrew instead of Daniel both because I think he has a Andrew-like face and because our DM is usually this other Andrew guy, but all in our group refer to Daniel as the most experienced DM between us.

So, it probably is just a very deeply buried mind lapsus, don't worry you are not ill or anything.
    Last edited by Zeruel; 2016-10-29 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

i literally made this account just now to tell you that i struggle with this too and idk why. no one around has ever heard of this but i been googling it and i saw a poll where only 4% struggle with this 96% dont know wtf we talking about. i understand you completely, you are fully aware what colors they are and can see them fine but when saying them its like “gree...orange” or “or...green” i always confuse them and idk why. and im always aware that its wrong. i saw something about “color anomia”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The Mod Life Crisis Necromancy is neither green nor orange.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link