New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Couple of Questions

These aren't getting any traction in the Simple RAW thread, so I'm re-posting here:

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 662

Spellguard of Silverymoon (PGtF) gets the ability at 4th level to share certain personal only spells with other, by a touch.

Q 662 a). Would Tenser's Transformation be an eligible spell for the Spellguard ability? It needs to be a spell "that improves AC, increases a saving throw modifier, or grants additional hit points".

Q 662 b). If yes, does an unwilling target get some kind of save? No save is listed in the spell description. The recipient of the spell loses all spellcasting ability for the duration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 664

Is a monster or familiar a valid target of the Psychic Reformation power? For instance, could it be used to swap out the Dodge feat on an Imp? The use of the word level in the power makes me think no.

Q 664b

Same question, but what about if Monster Classes (SS) or Savage Progressions are in play?
    In regards to 662, I'm pretty sure it does work, because after posting the question, some searching found a few threads where this is a recognised tactic.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Couple of Questions

Tenser's Transformation seems to fit the definition of a "defensive spell" in the text for the Spellguard class feature, in that it improves AC and saves. I'd say it's overqualified, since only one of those is necessary to be considered a defensive spell.

As for willing vs. unwilling target, that seems to be more DM territory, since I'm guessing you want to use this to inconvenience another caster. I'd personally allow the target a save, but I don't know if there's a general rule for this scenario in the absence of specific text in the spell.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

While Tenser's Transformation has no saving throw line at all, it's not Saving Throw: None, just like it's not Spell Resistance: None.

"A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities." So personal-range spells have no need for a Spell Resistance line, because the wouldn't ever be subject to SR when used as printed. However, the general rules on Spell Resistance for Transmutation spells is as follows:
    These spells are subject to spell resistance if they transform the target creature. Transmutation spells are not subject to spell resistance if they are targeted on a point in space instead of on a creature. Some transmutations make objects harmful (or more harmful), such as magic stone. Even these spells are not generally subject to spell resistance because they affect the objects, not the creatures against which the objects are used. Spell resistance works against magic stone only if the creature with spell resistance is holding the stones when the cleric casts magic stone on them.
    Thus you would still need to roll to overcome the SR of your target, despite the spell not having an entry for SR.

This same reasoning can be applied to the lack of a saving throw entry. It wouldn't need any such entry because you're not going to waste casting a personal-range spell on yourself if you don't want to be affected by it, but that's not the same as Saving Throw: None.

It's entirely up to a given DM whether it would allow a saving throw despite not having an entry for one, or whether it would only be usable on a willing target, or that the spell is cast on the character who drinks the potion material component as that's a part of the spell's actual effect. In any case, I don't think the Saving Throw: None crowd has a leg to stand on.

Regarding Psychic Reformation, it costs xp, which such creatures don't have any to spend. Furthermore, it allows them to change what they picked for those levels, but no choices were made by the creature. It's akin to using the PH2 retraining class levels rules to retrain racial HD into class levels, you don't have any choice in the matter, you're stuck with those racial HD.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Regarding Psychic Reformation, it costs xp, which such creatures don't have any to spend. Furthermore, it allows them to change what they picked for those levels, but no choices were made by the creature. It's akin to using the PH2 retraining class levels rules to retrain racial HD into class levels, you don't have any choice in the matter, you're stuck with those racial HD.
    I don't think this is the case. When you play a monster as a character you explicitly do not have to take the typical feats for the monsters racial hit dice. You're only 'stuck' with feats labeled with the bonus superscript.

And there are several references to monsters having XP, particularly I believe dragons are called out as having some randomly generated amount of XP when encountered to determine what spells they can use that burn XP.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2020-08-10 at 07:33 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    I don't think this is the case. When you play a monster as a character you explicitly do not have to take the typical feats for the monsters racial hit dice. You're only 'stuck' with feats labeled with the bonus superscript.

And there are several references to monsters having XP, particularly I believe dragons are called out as having some randomly generated amount of XP when encountered to determine what spells they can use that burn XP.
    He wasn't talking about monster PCs, he was talking about animal companions and familiars, which explicitly do have to take the printed feats and skill ranks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Couple of Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    He wasn't talking about monster PCs, he was talking about animal companions and familiars, which explicitly do have to take the printed feats and skill ranks.
    Well, technically I asked about a monster or familiar.

So, if I understand:

- An Imp familiar, specifically cannot use Psychic Reformation to swap out feats.

- An Imp PC, using the monster class from Savage Species, explicitly could use Psychic Reformation to swap out feats.

- A random monster Imp, not serving as a familiar, may or may not be able to use Psychic Reformation swap out feats.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

A662

A662a
    I'll start with a quote of the ability with the important rule text:

For this purpose, a defensive spell is one that improves AC, increases a saving throw modifier, or grants additional hit points (either by healing wounds or by bestowing temporary hit points).
    Note, that they carefully avoided the use of the "bonus" keyword. This means any kind of positive change fits the requirement. This means, that you could even use spells like alter self (forms with better AC due to natural armor) & shapechange (forms with at least better AC or you could say that the heal upon the first change fulfills the healing requirement).

Tensers Transformation should definitely be legal for this ability.

A662b

As Biffoniacus_Furiou has pointed out, the absence of a saving throw line doesn't equal "Saving Throw: None".
    Thus it should have a saving throw. IIRC the default saving throw would be 10 + spell lvl + ability mod and has to be a Fortitude save roll. It affects the body and is not an AoE spell (Reflex) nor a spell that affects the mind in any kind (Will).

Same goes for Spell Resistance. The spell doesn't have the special feature to ignore SR. Thus the general rules of SR would kick in.

A664
    lets start with a lil definition quote again:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB on "Level"
    A measure of advancement or power applied to several areas of the game. See caster level, character level, class level, and spell level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Reformation
    ...to choose a different feat from the one it selected when advancing from its previous level to its current level
    The subject can also choose to forget powers it acquired when advancing to its current level, replacing them with new ones.

The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels, if both the subject and the manifester agree to pay the necessary XP before this power is manifested (see below). The subject must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills.
    Imho this works on anything that is acquired after base creature/character lvl 1 due to some kind of progression that fits as "level" and where a CHOICE has been made.