New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Eberron Barbarian, Orc vs. Half-Orc

I'm looking at putting together a Barbarian (Path of the Ancestral Guardian) character for an Eberron game. Orc really fits well for race by flavor, but I'm thinking that it's mechanically weak compared to half-orc. Anybody here already done a strict comparison between the orc (Eberron version) and the half-orc, particularly for a Barbarian?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron Barbarian, Orc vs. Half-Orc

I actually like the eberron orc. Aggressive is a fun trait and I love bonus skills.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    I'm looking at putting together a Barbarian (Path of the Ancestral Guardian) character for an Eberron game. Orc really fits well for race by flavor, but I'm thinking that it's mechanically weak compared to half-orc. Anybody here already done a strict comparison between the orc (Eberron version) and the half-orc, particularly for a Barbarian?
    Non-strict comparison (i.e. considered opinion):

Orc is better especially for a melee-oriented character like a Barb. 1 extra HP per day and better crits is worse than spending fewer rounds Dashing instead of Attacking. Obviously not an issue if your campaign's fights typically start in melee range already. You'll know if that applies to you.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-08-10 at 08:05 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    I actually like the eberron orc. Aggressive is a fun trait and I love bonus skills.
    The bonus skills for this character would likely go into Insight and Intimidation, the latter of which half-orcs get too. Insight is a worthy skill, and it fits with the role of the character rather well too.

Is Aggressive all that useful? I know it can compete with Rage for the Bonus Action, but otherwise, how is it in play?
    Last edited by HappyDaze; 2020-08-10 at 08:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

I think as a whole, half orcs are better than orcs.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

6. - Top - End - #6

Getting bonus action dash is potentially the difference between getting to the biggest threat or not and it has no cost so even when you aren't raging you have the utility to keep up with the rogue/monk when chases and cutting off choke points is necessary.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

7. - Top - End - #7

The trouble with the Aggressive bonus action on a Barbarian is that generally the most important time to use it -- when a combat first starts -- is also when you'll most want to activate Rage, which also eats a bonus action.

The Eberron orc is a huge step up over the insultingly awful Volo's version but I still don't really see it as an ideal choice for an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian, who is under less pressure to get into melee range in the first place (their marking ability works with ranged attacks, and they turn ALLIES into tanks who want to protect THEM when they do so). It's a shame that they didn't get a movement ability more on the level of, say, a Tabaxi or Goblin. The fact that the movement can only go towards an enemy means it shouldn't need as many limits as some of the other racial movement abilities, but it somehow got hit with more limits.

Like imagine if Aggressive let you move toward an enemy as a bonus action *or* when hitting with an attack (thrown weapon or otherwise), maybe even letting you get an extra object interaction when you do so. That'd be pretty neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    The trouble with the Aggressive bonus action on a Barbarian is that generally the most important time to use it -- when a combat first starts -- is also when you'll most want to activate Rage, which also eats a bonus action.

The Eberron orc is a huge step up over the insultingly awful Volo's version but I still don't really see it as an ideal choice for an Ancestral Guardian Barbarian, who is under less pressure to get into melee range in the first place (their marking ability works with ranged attacks, and they turn ALLIES into tanks who want to protect THEM when they do so). It's a shame that they didn't get a movement ability more on the level of, say, a Tabaxi or Goblin. The fact that the movement can only go towards an enemy means it shouldn't need as many limits as some of the other racial movement abilities, but it somehow got hit with more limits.

Like imagine if Aggressive let you move toward an enemy as a bonus action *or* when hitting with an attack (thrown weapon or otherwise), maybe even letting you get an extra object interaction when you do so. That'd be pretty neat.
    The Agressive move seems most likely to be used to cut down foes that attempt to flee. That can be a big deal, as it prevents subsequent encounters from having early warning and starting off reinforced.