New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default What Foods Have You Been Craving?

Today I was seized by a sudden craving for lime sherbet, of all things, which led me to discover how difficult it is to find in my local grocery stores. Along the way I also discovered that adding limeade to a vanilla milkshake does not remotely approximate lime sherbet.

Lime popsicles did the trick, but now I'm wondering what unexpected, oddball food cravings other people have. I don't mean favorites per se, but sudden, strange, intense yearnings that come out of nowhere and won't let you go.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: What Foods Have You Been Craving?

Beef pho, all of a sudden. I used to treat myself to it once or twice a month...the restaurant selling it nearby has closed, unfortunately.

3. - Top - End - #3

Lizardfolk

Cinnamon flavoured things. No apparent reason, just feel a need for cinnamon.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli in NYC.

Pizza from NYC.

The tongue stroganoff and borscht from this super shady Russian restaurant and bathhouse in NYC.

Basically every restaurant I went to when we visited NYC.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5

Orange cream soda. One place in town used to carry it and they stopped years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Boar.....

preferably Boar cheek.

Though I could go for a nice stuffed beefheart too....but that kind needs a few more people than I want to get together in COVID and I don't think the place where I order my organ meats are doing that in these unfortunate times.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I have been craving for spicy cheetos recently, I just can't get enough of them.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Gonna be basic and say chocolate,. Like.. Really very dark chocolate.
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been wanting to eat doughnuts. Some good quality doughnuts, not the low-grade supermarket stuff.

I'd settle for Krispy Kreme, but that's not I'd really want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I've been wanting to eat doughnuts. Some good quality doughnuts, not the low-grade supermarket stuff.

I'd settle for Krispy Kreme, but that's not I'd really want.
    Since when is Krispy Kreme "settling"?

I say as I start to think that I don't have very much doughnut experience, really.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Since when is Krispy Kreme "settling"?

I say as I start to think that I don't have very much doughnut experience, really.
    In my area, there are better options than Krispy Kreme. Mostly the smaller, local doughnut shops. If you time it well enough, you can get better doughnuts at supermarkets if you know the right ones.

In fact, for all its notoriety I was actually kind of disappointed when I had Krispy Kreme for the first time. Blame the hype, I guess.

I do admit to being kind of a doughnut snob.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    In my area, there are better options than Krispy Kreme. Mostly the smaller, local doughnut shops. If you time it well enough, you can get better doughnuts at supermarkets if you know the right ones.

In fact, for all its notoriety I was actually kind of disappointed when I had Krispy Kreme for the first time. Blame the hype, I guess.

I do admit to being kind of a doughnut snob.
    Krispy Kreme made most of its rep on its physical locations where you could get a a fresh doughnut nearly right off the cook line, I think. The kind of basic glazed yeast doughnut that is your standard Krispy Kreme is a lot like french fries - they're AMAZING when they're hot, fresh out of the fryer/oven, and still warm enough to keep the glaze mostly liquid. But as soon as you start letting them cool they lose quality more rapidly than most foods. The glaze settles and gets weirdly thick in uneven places, the air pockets collapse and the doughnut goes from being this light puff of air with a pastry shell to getting just kind of.. well, doughy, and it's all around just not an inspiring experience any more. If you leave them too long they start staling in really obvious ways; if you have to get older cooled doughnuts off a display case, practically every other style of doughnut holds up better than the basic yeast-risen one.

Which is to say I don't think there's anything particularly outstanding about Krispy Kreme's recipe or their baking - they were just the chain that introduced a lot of people to properly fresh hot doughnuts with their 'FRESH HOT' sign gimmick letting the public know when a batch was up, rather than ones that inevitably lose their best qualities no matter how good the baker is unless you happen to know just when they get a tray done.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2020-08-17 at 06:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I ran out of all things that contain any sugar whatsoever (including fruit) about two weeks ago, and have been missing it a bit.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Krispy Kreme made most of its rep on its physical locations where you could get a a fresh doughnut nearly right off the cook line, I think. The kind of basic glazed yeast doughnut that is your standard Krispy Kreme is a lot like french fries - they're AMAZING when they're hot, fresh out of the fryer/oven, and still warm enough to keep the glaze mostly liquid. But as soon as you start letting them cool they lose quality more rapidly than most foods. The glaze settles and gets weirdly thick in uneven places, the air pockets collapse and the doughnut goes from being this light puff of air with a pastry shell to getting just kind of.. well, doughy, and it's all around just not an inspiring experience any more. If you leave them too long they start staling in really obvious ways; if you have to get older cooled doughnuts off a display case, practically every other style of doughnut holds up better than the basic yeast-risen one.

Which is to say I don't think there's anything particularly outstanding about Krispy Kreme's recipe or their baking - they were just the chain that introduced a lot of people to properly fresh hot doughnuts with their 'FRESH HOT' sign gimmick letting the public know when a batch was up, rather than ones that inevitably lose their best qualities no matter how good the baker is unless you happen to know just when they get a tray done.
    I'll take a Krispy Kreme raspberry filled doughnut cold and stale over pretty much any other doughnut I've had. Like Entenmann's or your standard standing in the air grocery store bakery doughnut is any better.

15. - Top - End - #15

Lizardfolk

Been craving bread lately.. I used to make a lot of it myself, but recently (as of a few months ago) it's kinda got a bad association, memory-wise, and I haven't really had the time, nor brought myself to actually make any.. ehh maybe this weekend.. (Which is next weekend to all of you americans... (and other countries behind nz))
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's always burgers for me. Well, that or thai food. :P

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Pork sausages!
    I drank some stuff from a drain and it drove me insane.