New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: When did you start reading OOTS and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcore View Post
    I wish we still had the original Erfworld up here still. Much like George Lucas he desecrated his own works with modifications.
    I enjoyed that Erfworld that was linked here. But it wasn't good enough for me to pursue it elsewhere. (Same with Goblins They were in a paused mode when I just got tired of it ... there were some fun sub arcs though)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-25 at 04:10 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I enjoyed that Erfworld that was linked here. But it wasn't good enough for me to pursue it elsewhere. (Same with Goblins They were in a paused mode when I just got tired of it ... there were some fun sub arcs though)
    While book 2 was good you had the right idea. Erfworld grew and grew and lost its charm. And the author had rather thin skin and kept counter attacking his 'fans'. Erfworld, to my knowledge, is dead. I think The Giant has the right idea; if you post a work do not read the comments (except to make sure they can read it) and engage with people as little as possible.

I plan to emulate that.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I believe 2008? Right when O-Chul was being tortured for the first time. I have always maintained a preference for having at least three webcomics update a day (down to 1 now.) OotS was one I read in my quest to accomplish this, and I didn't join the forum until some other webcomic forums started becoming rather toxic and most of my childhood forums went under.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

A few months ago. A friend on another forum who is also here suggested it. I like the action/fantasy genre and most of my fandom interests are there. I also enjoy the references to other fandoms such as Star Wars (my biggest)

As corny as it may sound, I've become an Elan/Haley shipper.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ain't no Cure for the Paladin Blues. I know that's not the real title, but it's the title in my heart. It was in Pandimonum Books. A Sci Fi bookshop in Central Sq. in Cambridge, Ma.

It kept winking and staring at me. And I thought it looked cool. So I read bit.

I thought it seemed cool, so I read the "Order of the . . . Stick"? thing.

It WAS cool. Now, any OotS thing I can, I buy through them.

I hope they survive the Pandemic.
    Last edited by F.Harr; 2020-09-02 at 11:27 PM.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post15476516

I know I'm stealing this from someone else. But it's SO FUNNY

Zweisteine quoting Razanir:

"I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!"

Bagnold could be one sixty-fourth halfling.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Colossus in the Playground

I recall that what first got me into OOTS was Dragon Magazine, when it first started appearing back in January 2006. I read a few, got interested, a friend with Dungeon Crawling Fools and Origin of PCs lent me them, and I eventually bought my own from Forbidden Planet at some point. I believe it was Miko's fall during the Azure City arc that got me joining the forum though, and posting regularly.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Though she's been gone for a while where I'm at, I particularly enjoyed Miko's arc and how it explored the difference between being good and being aligned good

8. - Top - End - #68

Someone on another forum I was on linked this page, which at the time was the latest. It was a pretty good joke and I liked the art style, so I went back and read the rest of the archive.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I remember reading it off and on starting in college when looking through TVTropes and then became more of a regular reader over time. It's really wonderful and helped me get into D&D in the first place.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

I first started reading the comic when #1025 was the newest one. (I must admit, reading the sentence "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!" out of context before starting at the first comic was...interesting, to say the least). Not really sure why I decided to start reading. I'm sure I stumbled upon the site while searching for some 3.5 advice and saw the link to the comic and decided to start reading, probably as a way of procrastinating on school work. Overall, probably one of the best outcomes from my tenancy to procrastinate.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I also found the comic through TVTropes, although in fairness at the time I was reading several webcomics so it would not have been all that strange for me to have found it on its own (OOTS is pretty much the only webcomic I read regularly these days, however; I don't have the time for anything else). I definitely count as a young whippersnapper in the playground, having found the comic around 918 (made this account in time for 935) and am still only hardly an adult these days.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Back January 2020 I was looking up rules for dragonhide armor in pathfinder. Someone in a rules thread on the paizo site linked to strip #628 as a reference to what happened to the dragons husband. I got curious about the comic and read for about another 200 pages before I decided I should just start over at the beginning since I was missing a ton of background info. Then I read through the whole thing and caught up just before the beginning of book 7.

13. - Top - End - #73

NecromancerGirl

I came on board in 2012, during the mid-BritF hiatus, just before Durkon vs. Malack. Group me with the large crowd of people who found it via TVTropes - if there's one thing that site is good for, it's for introducing readers to
    webcomics.

I had two friends in high school who were also reading it, and I can't remember if I started before them or not. I do remember lending them my copy of SoD at one point. Inexplicably, they decided they liked the comic better when it was just stupid jokes about D&D, and stopped following it. I have never understood or forgiven this decision. Thank god for finding new friends in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I think I also found OoTS through TVTropes, a couple years ago. In fact, it was the lampshade joke when Redcloak is interrogating O'Chul. I was interested enough that I started reading from the beginning.

My three-year-old, however, started 'reading' OotS a few weeks ago when I couldn't think up a bedtime story. I started recounting the tale of the Order, and she's asked for it again every night since. Her favorite character is Vaarsuvius.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I started reading about 15 years ago, because I remember talking about Order of the Stick while still playing D&D.

I think it was actually during the first arc that I started reading, though not quite at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

Erfworld... lost something after the first arc concluded. I can't put my finger on what, but it just wasn't the same after that, and I just lost interest.

The first arc was pretty good though.

For Goblins? I check that comic every few months, and there's a few pages up. It's more morbid curiosity on what is happening that keeps me going back than anything else though.

16. - Top - End - #76

Flumph

It's kinda interesting how many of people came here from TvTropes.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

Kobold

biggrin Re: When did you start reading OOTS and Why?

My dad introduced me to it like, ten years ago! I'm 20 now so it's definitely been very much a continuous thing over my life.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Mine was also through TV tropes. I was a pretty big fan of theirs back in the day, and I was perusing through a particular page that was talking of I think 'double entendre' trope or something of that nature, and they were referencing this comic https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0269.html.
    What actually caught my attention, is that not only was that joke making fun of the 'slipping the wood' metaphor by making it literal, but making Celia as horrified as if it was literal. I thought that was a cute play on tropes and decided to check it out, found the storyline of Paladin Blues very entertaining albeit confusing, and so I started reading from #1. At the time, Rich had just started his leave due to the thumb injury, and I ended up catching all the way up before he recovered xD
    Since then, I won't shut up about it to some of my DnD friends, and while I'm not certain, I think Oots is a big reason why I now got into it in the first place.
    Last edited by Darkone; 2020-10-19 at 06:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose I’m a relative newcomer here. I think I started reading when the Order was in Tinkertown, which was in 2015. So 5 years maybe? Like others, it was a while later when I made an account for the forum.

I found the comic through TV Tropes. It was mentioned a lot and I checked it out, and wonder of wonders, I was hooked. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I wish to fill your intellect with light,
    light so aflame with life that cannot cease,
    in your eyes it will tremble like a star. -Beatrice, Paradiso 2.109-11

20. - Top - End - #80

They were somewhere in the desert, and I think it was right before the big final battle with Tarquin. Just happened to find it one day while browsing a list of webcomics.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-24 at 09:10 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

I started reading in 2003, I think the comic was at the trap door part at the time. It was linked in some other web comic forum I had been reading at the time. I read dozens of web comics back in 02-05, now this is the only one I still read, and it's had thst distinction for years. Penny Arcade was the only other one I read past 09 or so, but marriage and job means I haven't played a game in years, so Penny Arcade stopped having much meaning a few years ago

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I just kept seeing it constantly linked on the Irregular Webcomics forums (specifically the Darths & Droids part) and I read a couple bits, most specifically Miko's fall, before deciding to just read the whole thing over the course of week (at that point Rich was at 1169) and then making my first forum post in 1170's thread.
    You feel like such a forum staple that it always shocks me when I remember that you're pretty new here!

I started reading sometime in 2004 when I was a wee little 7 year old, because my older sister read it. They were still in the dungeon. I played Neverwinter Nights and World of Warcraft so I got some of the gaming jokes, but I pretty much just liked the characters and the Futurama-esque humor (that was how I saw it back then, at least). I know I've mentioned this in another thread, but we would read Start of Darkness and War & XPs on car rides together. Roughly 4ish years later, my older sister stopped reading it, but I was hooked and have checked every weekend for an update on a more-or-less consistent schedule.

Funnily enough, OotS, NWN, and WoW are all still a part of my life. I recently even got my mom to start reading OotS, and we just started Blood Runs in the Family yesterday. She wasn't crazy about it at first, and the sexist language is aggravating to both of us, but she's now at the point where she looks forward to reading it and seeing what happens next.
    Last edited by Mariele; 2020-10-29 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

23. - Top - End - #83

I joined up the forum 5 years ago, but I started reading before that for sure. I do recall binge reading a large quantity of strips when I started, though. How many hundreds, I have no clue.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

I got link to the comic on the first forum I ever frequnted and one that is no longer with us.

I *think* the comic was still in its dungeon of Durokan phase. I have a very vivid memory of the comic where the party arrives into the village and all of the villagers are very terrified of the adventurers arriving(#122). I know that comic is *just* post dungeon, but yeah... I've been reading this comic for at least sixteen years.

I almost feel old now.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Started reading it back when it was in Dragon magazine. It was funny.
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Big forum that I've long since parted ways with due to it negatively effecting my state of mind, and just being far too bloody time consuming.

Still it was pretty good for media reccomendations. Among which was Order of the Stick and after getting on board around the beginning of Azure City I binged the whole thing, and stuck around ever since.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Damn it's hard to believe it's been over a decade. Absolutely second what OP wrote about the natural, humble charm of this creation. Here's to another dozen years of OoTS. Rich really is an entertainer extraordinaire.

I can't recall for sure when I started reading, but it must have been about the time Azure City was introduced, as I have an ancient NWN character file of a Lawful Stupid Paladin called Miko... ;)
    Last edited by Debré; 2020-12-08 at 06:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Shortly before sexy shoeless god of war first happened in Azure city.
    "We are going to Rimgar the invisible island. It's right here on the map"(pointing to random spot on ocean)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Debré View Post
    Damn it's hard to believe it's been over a decade. Absolutely second what OP wrote about the natural, humble charm of this creation. Here's to another dozen years of OoTS. Rich really is an entertainer extraordinaire.

May it be so! with zero attachment and 100% gratitude

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Eh its been a long time but I believe it was around when the first book was published? Or at least thats what I decided years ago and thats the story I’ve told myself since. 😁
    "Be brave Tula and one day you too will be free!"
    -cledfb