New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: When did you start reading OOTS and Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Once again, the internet reminds me I'm not a young man anymore. OOTS didn't exist until I was a couple of years into college.
    The very first joke in the comic is about the update to the 3.5 edition rules in the summer of 2003, and yet the main edition of tabletop D&D I have experience with is AD&D 2nd edition, after which I stopped playing. I've never played a pen-and-paper game of D&D without THAC0 or Devils and Demons that are called Baatezu and Tanar'ri.

Plenty of reasons for this comic to make some of us feel pretty old.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demiurge View Post
    The very first joke in the comic is about the update to the 3.5 edition rules in the summer of 2003, and yet the main edition of tabletop D&D I have experience with is AD&D 2nd edition, after which I stopped playing. I've never played a pen-and-paper game of D&D without THAC0 or Devils and Demons that are called Baatezu and Tanar'ri.

I remember those days too, and I played a lot of 2nd edition, but in may first games they hadn't invented THAC0 yet and Baatezu and Tanari'ri were still Devils and Demons.

You might want to give playing the table top game a try again now that 5th Edition plays more like 2nd edition again. It's very different in many ways, but much more like the old school games than 3rd and 4th edition were.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Hello, I am new to the forum and I felt compelled to reply to this thread as my introduction.

I had played D&D when I was a young teenager but was forced to stop after my mother passed away and I had to move to another state and a small town where making friends was hard and finding anyone who played D&D even harder. I always remembered what it was like to play and even, sadly, tried to DM my own adventures. I could never convince the few new friends that I made to take playing it seriously. Eventually I gave up and forgot about D&D for several years.

I honestly don't remember how I found OOTS. All I know is it was around 2007-2008 and I was working an incredibly boring job with nothing to do but browse the internet. I was struggling to find entertaining websites that would bypass my work network's website blockers and thought about web comics. I probably thought about D&D and did a google search for that, or it was possibly recommended to me by my World of Warcraft guild forums. Actually that sounds more likely.

At any rate, I started from the beginning and read the entire web-strip that was available at the time and knew enough from my previous D&D experience to be able to follow along even if I didn't fully understand every single joke. Belkaar's antics and murderous tendencies are what did it for me. I recently started another job that affords me a lot of free time and I re-discovered OOTS and have recently finished catching back up to the current comic. It's still as good as ever and lightened many days so far. I've also enjoyed that Erfworld strip that used to be hosted on this page.

Anyways, if you're still reading this far, I appreciate you, and hopefully I will continue to read and post. TTFN

4. - Top - End - #34
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hah. I graduated around 3 years before OOTS got started. If you're not young then I must be practically fossilized.

The punchlines were what first attracted me to OOTS, but what's kept me a reader for all these years is that this little stick-figure comic has depth and real characters. There's some real storytelling going on here. For me it's the best webcomic around. And it still gets laughs from me.

To be fair, I didn't say I was old just yet, merely not (especially) young anymore. Though "old" and "young" are relative anyway. I'm reminded of once seeing a comedian talk about how old he felt having recently turned 40 only for the next comedian (in her 60's I think) to come on stage with "You just turned 40 and feel old? That's cute."

You actually reminded me that, while I never played 2nd edition back in the day, a friend of mine had some AD&D trading cards or something and we sort of made up our own storytelling game with them that was basically what we thought D&D was, despite not having any of the manuals or anything (little did I know my mother had, years prior, bought the core rulebooks for I think OD&D, but never did anything with them because she didn't know of anyone nearby interested in playing).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

I, too, graduated 3 years prior to OOTS' debut.

Based on my forum registration date of Sept. 2008, it took me just a couple months shy of 5 years from first being introduced to OOTS to actually register for the forum.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2020-08-13 at 11:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    You actually reminded me that, while I never played 2nd edition back in the day, a friend of mine had some AD&D trading cards or something and we sort of made up our own storytelling game with them that was basically what we thought D&D was, despite not having any of the manuals or anything (little did I know my mother had, years prior, bought the core rulebooks for I think OD&D, but never did anything with them because she didn't know of anyone nearby interested in playing).
    Even back then, I rarely actually played the game, and spent a lot more time just enjoying the sourcebooks for various campaign settings. When my friends played, they basically just went around murdering everything, and I had anxiety issues that made looking for another, more serious group hard. Played some games at a few cons, though, and that was fun.

I actually had both the AD&D Player's Handbook/Dungeon Master's Guide and also, I believe, the rules for the original D&D (as in, the version where your race was your class and the alignments were just Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic). This being the dark ages before the Internet made knowledge about everything readily accessible, and me being about 13 years old, I thought Dungeons and Dragons was a simplified version of the game for beginners, with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons being for the pros who really knew what they were doing.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I was in college in Massachusetts finishing my Bachelor's from Fall 2007-Spring 2009. Fall 2007, I met a group of girls in my dorm that had been labeled "the dragonslayers" because they wore capes around campus. One of the girls had the book "Start of Darkness" and told me about The Order of the Stick, and that is how I got into it, by reading the book and the webcomic, which I read from the beginning up until the latest strip whatever that was. I never signed up for alerts or anything like that, and there were times I almost forgot about it for months, maybe years at a time. But something would remind me and I would come back to it, and so I have been following it to this day.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

smile Re: When did you start reading OOTS and Why?

I'm pretty sure I started reading sometime in 2012 or 2013. I got into the comic because it was mentioned by the legendary DM of the RINGs webcomic which I was then reading. I liked DM of the RINGs quite a bit, so when I run out of that I thought, hey, this whole roleplaying-comedy webcomic business seems to be quite fun and OOTs is obviously that, I should read that as well.

Naturally I read the whole thing start to the then finish(abit before Nale was killed if I remember correctly), loved it, and have been a regular reader and long time lurker on these forums ever since.

I suspect as someone who has never played tabletop roleplaying games, I might not have gotten into this so much had DM of the RINGs not introduced me to the genre, as it's LOTR jokes allowed me to still like despite not knowing much about the other half of the source-material. Fortunately OOTS was funny enough to keep my interest despite my lack of background knowledge.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm from a different generation than most people on this forum. When OOTS started I was in my thirty-somethings and I was a bold keyboard warrior, or I feeled like that. Now, many years later, I sit on my throne with a cat on my lap and the cat demands poopsies. Or I feel like this.

My prefered use of the Internet in those days was an arcane and ancient thing called "Usenet". It was a kind of mailing list, well, you might not know what that is, we can say it was like a forum, or a very large group of forums, which had the advantage that they were not very easy to use, so most of the people there were pretty smart and pretty nerdy. Or I remember them that way, at least.

I'm not a big fan of role-playing games and D&D. I'm not completely ignorant of them, but my knowledge of them is superficial. On Usenet there was a "forum" (we didn't call them that) about fantasy and science fiction in Spanish called es.rec.ficcion.misc. It was in April 2009, in the last days of that group, shortly before everyone abandoned it in favor of facebook and twitter, damn them, and we were talking about Dave Arneson's death and some other guy referred to Rich Burlew's homage to him in the pages of OOTS. It's page 644.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0644.html

I read it, I liked it, I started reading from the beginning and I got hooked.

The Internet has changed a lot since 2000 and this comic is one of the small good things that remain the same. I love OOTS for that, but not only for that. I love and admire that Rich is so close to completing from so humble beginnings this magnum opus that we've been following for so many years. In those days I was also very involved in the fandom surrounding another not so humble magnum opus, A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, which a few years later became a TV series and a big hype, and that phenomenon left me (and many other people) with a taste of failed expectations that I'm pretty sure this comic isn't going to give me.
    Last edited by Ginasius; 2020-08-17 at 04:03 AM.
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

10. - Top - End - #40

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    I'm from a different generation than most people on this forum. When OOTS started I was in my thirty-somethings and I was a bold keyboard warrior, or I feeled like that. Now, many years later, I sit on my throne with a cat on my lap and the cat demands poopsies. Or I feel like this.
    You're not completely alone among these young whippersnappers.

11. - Top - End - #41

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    You're not completely alone among these young whippersnappers.
    Haha.. ha.. ha... I feel young. (Probably coz I am).Shrugs
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I started reading OOTS in 2006, when I was thirteen years old, because I couldn't get enough D&D in my life and I was looking up everything there was to read about it. I think I checked it out once at around strip #300, didn't give it a second thought, then came back to it some months later and really got into it. I started reading through properly at #394 and finished bingeing when the strip was at #397 (it updated a lot more quickly back then, obviously). At that point I was hooked, and made an account on these forums a few months later, in January 2007.

Now, rather than being a middle-schooler, I'm a 27-year-old professional performer, and this is still one of my first ports of call when I open my laptop. I wonder how many times I've typed in the first few letters of the site's URL, then hit enter to see if there's a new comic yet. 10,000? 20,000? More?

It's so strange that I've spent the majority of my life reading this funny little webcomic, and nearly half my life browsing these forums. I wonder where I'll be when the adventure finally comes to an end.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-08-18 at 10:55 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Summer of 2013, with this page. For whatever reason, that was the summer I decided to actually get into webcomics.

I'd known about TVTropes for a few years, and had seen Order of the Stick artwork often enough, but the (at the time) page image for Ominous Latin Chanting finally got my attention.

I'd never played actual D&D, but had been playing & replaying Baldur's Gate 2 since its release and that cursory rules knowledge got me through the first 100 pages until the narrative kicked in. I was completely won over by the time we hit Azure City and I've read it religiously ever since.

It's interesting to see OotS's role in my journey as both a creative writer and a player/DM. Rich does such amazing work with narrative and character development -- it remains one of my absolute favorite stories after all this time.

Also since this got me thinking about it, thought I'd share -- my webcomics readership timeline looks sort of goofy:

Spoiler: Compressed Timeline
    Show
    2006ish - XKCD, still reading

2010ish - Ctrl+Alt+Del (binged full archives, lost interest by 2012. I know, I know...should've bailed long before that)

• Dr. McNinja, binged archives, read until the comic ended
    • OotS, binged, still reading!!
    • It's Walky, gave up
    • Questionable Content, binged, read until spring 2020
    • Dumbing of Age, binged, still reading!
    • It's Walky (again), gave up

• Gunnerkrigg Court, binged, still reading!
    • It's Walky (AGAIN), gave up

2016 - Oglaf, still reading

2020 - It's Walky, FINALLY finished thanks to the reuploads with commentary. It was worth the effort, if a little strange!

14. - Top - End - #44

EvilClericGuy

I first started around the time of that Jack Kirby reference on Thor’s back. I was aimlessly researching Minecraft, and came across this old social media post where Notch said that the game would have a subtitle “Order of the Stone” because it sounded like “Order of the Stick.” Confused, I looked it up, and here we are today.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I learned about OOTS thanks to TV Tropes, in 2007, and have been following it ever since. I didn't know much about D&D back then, but the humor was clear enough to me even without knowledge of the specific game system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Actually finishing a seven-book series of fantasy novels is a better dig at ASOIAF than any in-strip parody could be.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Another TV Troper, and also another one from Lampshade hanging. I still didn't really get it after reading that comic, so decided to go back a couple strips for context... ended up just going back to the beginning. By the time I got through the couple hundred strips to reach the end, the end-book splash page for Blood Runs in the Family (946) was up. I just stared at it, realizing that I had to wait SO! LONG! for the next strip.

Little did I know, I'd still be eagerly awaiting the next strip in 2020.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

the main edition of tabletop D&D I have experience with is AD&D 2nd edition, after which I stopped playing. I've never played a pen-and-paper game of D&D without THAC0 or Devils and Demons that are called Baatezu and Tanar'ri. Plenty of reasons for this comic to make some of us feel pretty old.
    Roll 3d6 in order with the info from a book called Men and Magic. The Blackmoor supplement was a new shiny thing that had just come out when I started. Eldritch Wizardry had not yet been published.
    I thought Dungeons and Dragons was a simplified version of the game for beginners, with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons being for the pros who really knew what they were doing.
    The Holmes Basic Dungeons and Dragons set was exactly that. It came out before the PHB and DMG for the Advanced game arrived, but I think the AD&D Monster Manual hit the shelves where I was before Homes arrived. It's most important function was to make the game rules, mostly unchanged from Men and Magic/Monsters and Treasures, Etc, better organized and more accessible for starting players. And since we are comparing the age of the dinosaur poop we may have stepped into, I graduated from college 24 years before OoTS' first strip arrived. (I'd say my first web comic that I really liked was PvP. It had a less mean-spirited tone than Penny Arcade; over time, I began to enjoy PA as well, and I am impressed what those two did with PAX).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-20 at 04:18 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

18. - Top - End - #48

I think my age was single-digits? My dad's coworker recommended it to me (he also got me started on the Drizzt series) about six months before he moved away. He had printed out all of the first 120 or so comics for me to read, with the final page featuring the defeat of Samantha the sorcerer. I don't remember when exactly I started following it online, but I distinctly remember the fervor in the forums when comic #200 came out. So some time before that.

I've followed along ever since, as have my dad, my brother, and several close friends. I never did hear from my dad's coworker again after he moved away, sadly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphy View Post
    He's a WITCH!!! BURN HIM!!!
    Wait! We should make sure that he's a witch before burning him. Do you know if he weighs the same as a duck?
    My correct prediction.

I am currently working on a new (needless) OotS compilation, similar to this or this, pm me if you'd like to help.

Thanks to Serpentine for the excellent avatar!

19. - Top - End - #49

Flumph

My sister was a member here and she introduced me to the comic.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I started playing Neverwinter Nights in 2001 and was a regular player on the Myseria 2 server from early 2002 until the server was shut down. A fellow player mentioned a comic about characters who were aware they were in a game of D&D, and I checked it out. This will have been around the first Mail Call, and I remember wondering how readers of a new comic could have gotten questions to the author.

It wasn't until I first saw Haley's Dad that I posted on the forum. His identity was a matter of debate then almost on par with the identity of the MitD.

For the other hipsters out there, I started playing D&D in the 70s, and created and ran adventures in my campaign world for the next 20 years before Baldur's Gate let me become a player again.
    Last edited by brian 333; 2020-08-22 at 08:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

I don’t remember precisely... but I do know the general “how”.

There’s a Korean site called Namu Wiki; it’s somewhere between TvTropes and fanwikis. I was really into fantasy, so I was looking at stuff about magic and there were links to the strip as examples on the articles for certain D&D spells. I didn’t really pay much attention at first but the more I looked at it the more it intrigued me so I started reading it. I didn’t really read it from start to finish in order and skipped around a lot, but I do think I’ve seen all the strips released so far.

As for the when... probably no more than a few months before I joined, so it’s been more than 4 years by now. When I was in 12th grade, I think.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Flipping through my then-gm's dragon magazine, in 05 or 06 (only clear time-mark i have is that it was near the end of Age of Worms and before Savage Tide)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

I remember that #250 was an update for me and that's pretty much it.

I think I was enamoured with it because the stick figures in it were essentially my own art style as well and while I didn't actually get the D&D jokes half the time I knew they were being written with love for the game.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I found OoTS around the Azure City war.
    I thought it was awesome.
    I have been following since then to see how the story goes.
    And ends.

25. - Top - End - #55

I'm pretty sure I found this strip thru Top Web Comics

The first strip was the Dancing Knights strip
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

I started reading the comic in the single digits or low double digits. I was off at college, playing games of D&D 3.0 and 3.5 with a couple different groups, and I had subscription to Dragon Magazine (Dungeon I would just borrow from the library), and everything about the goofiness and fun in the comic was what we liked about in our games. I'd been playing a version of D&D since learning to read. I remember going through the AD&D Monster Manual at 5-6 years old when learning my alphabet, instead of reading Dr Seuss. Growing up on D&D, getting Knights of the Dinner Table from the comic shop, reading Nodwick and the other comics in Dragon, OotS was just a natural progression of my Dungeons and Dragons themed comics.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Like a lot of people, I came here from TVTropes - specifically via Colour Coded for your Convenience.

The page amused me - I didn't care much for the art style, but it was clean and clear - I'd seen far worse. Apart from that the humour was good and the page was well written. I was interested enough to start from the beginning, and by the 40's I got hooked.

Then things got interesting.

(The art style grew on me, and these days I simply sit back in amazement at exactly what the Giant can do with a fairly simple style)
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-08-24 at 03:38 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ginasius View Post
    In those days I was also very involved in the fandom surrounding another not so humble magnum opus, A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin, which a few years later became a TV series and a big hype, and that phenomenon left me (and many other people) with a taste of failed expectations that I'm pretty sure this comic isn't going to give me.
    I became a fan of A Song... around 1998. I think I have the first run paperback edition of A Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings. I had to wait for Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows etc... Kind of annoyed that he side-tracked for "Fire and Blood" and still have refused to read it lol. I still hold out hope that when (and if) Martin ever finishes the novel series that it will have a different (or at least a better explained) ending.

29. - Top - End - #59

I started a few years ago. 2017?

I was bored

Boredom cured and I also discovered Erfworld.

I wish we still had the original Erfworld up here still. Much like George Lucas he desecrated his own works with modifications.

edit: join date (for the forum) puts me at 2016. 2015 as I didn't much care about the forum and held off awhile.
    Last edited by Alcore; 2020-08-25 at 02:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

PaladinGuy

I wonder how rare it is these days to have discovered both Order of the Stick and TV Tropes completely independently of one another, as I did?