New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Question TTRPG Timetravel

Hi, in Suzerain (meta-setting of SWADE) there are different Realms, some are just different areas of Earth, some pocket dimensions made by Gods and some are in completely different centuries!

Question: How do you deal with time-travel or any time-bending mechanics/adventures in your TTRPG?
    -Ciaran

Savage Mojo

C-Moon#4331 at Discord

Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: TTRPG Timetravel

The one time that I've involved Time Travel has been basically more as a transport to another location. One NPC was able to take them to The Future after getting come McGuffinite that let them jump really far in time, taking people with them. But there were rules and restrictions in place to stop any willy-nilly timestream stuff. It was mostly just a drastic locale change.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    The one time that I've involved Time Travel has been basically more as a transport to another location. One NPC was able to take them to The Future after getting come McGuffinite that let them jump really far in time, taking people with them. But there were rules and restrictions in place to stop any willy-nilly timestream stuff. It was mostly just a drastic locale change.
    Oh I dig it, like sort of 'time officer' type character? Keeps them in-line without breaking lore/character? Nice nice.
    -Ciaran

Savage Mojo

C-Moon#4331 at Discord

Kickstarter coming soon. Join our mailing list and get a FREE Shane Hensley adventure

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Man...we just had this whole conversation a month or three back. We covered the alternate timeline theory, all the possible ways to handle a time paradox...
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C-Moon View Post
    Oh I dig it, like sort of 'time officer' type character? Keeps them in-line without breaking lore/character? Nice nice.
    Not so much time officer (though, as a time traveller, did have an innate sense of the rules of time travel), as the fact that they very much didn't want to cause anyone (especially not themself) to die by being in close temporal-proximity to their temporally-correct self. And could mostly only do fairly short time jumps without the McGuffinium. So it was really only useful for going to whens that you'd not existed in yet, and wouldn't ever expect to exist in (in this case, going to the far future to try and let the PCs PC up the place and fix things then).

Practically speaking, it meant that they didn't have the ability to do more than the one jump to any time period that was practical. Thus stopping the "hey, let's go places to see about messing stuff up." Because it would be fairly quickly pretty lethal if the worst happened.
    (I know my players. I wanted my game to have a reasonable time to conclude. )

So, yeah, not so much artificial laws to try and keep things pure, as the timestream 'pushing back' against potential paradoxes, and working to fix itself if major breaches occur. Which time travellers tend to want to avoid, because they tend to value continuing to live. (Which also, in this cosmology, means time travellers can only truly change results that they don't know about. What has happened will happen, but you can change the specifics that aren't known. So future travelling can be very hard on the psyche, and isn't done often. Because if something horrible's happened... you know you can't stop it. If you do, something similar will just happen shortly, to protect timestream continuity.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Your regular reminder that Continuum is, hands down, the best time travel rpg in existence.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    Your regular reminder that Continuum is, hands down, the best time travel rpg in existence.
    I did borrow the "Spanning" terminology for my own game, but hahahaha, no thanks, not getting into time combat. I could barely follow it reading the example.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Not seen it before, I'll have to check it out!
    -Ciaran

Savage Mojo

C-Moon#4331 at Discord

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by C-Moon View Post
    Not seen it before, I'll have to check it out!
    Sadly, further information is not available here.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Sadly, further information is not available here.
    Surely you can tell me what time is it?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I prefer Timewatch, although Continuum is interesting in its own right. Continuum is a more serious and, if the word is applicable, realistic look at time travel, and requires careful bookkeeping to make sure you don't introduce paradoxes into your own time line. Timewatch is for when you want to hop around in the time stream battling psychic dinosaurs and sentient languages.
    Last edited by Lord Shark; 2020-08-31 at 08:45 AM.