New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Never Casting Wish Again

A thought I had now that our party Sorcerer has it is how you would treat it when a caster uses the effect of wish that risks preventing them from casting the spell again.

Obviously the RAW is that you can't cast it anymore, it sits on your spell list and does nothing from now on.

What I'm asking is if you might rule differently, how you might and any reasoning behind it. More out of curiosity than anything.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-08-11 at 11:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Never Casting Wish Again

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Obviously the RAW is that you can't carry it anymore, it sits on your spell list and does nothing from now on.
    You can swap out spells on a level up. So if they're level 17-19 they would have a chance to swap it out for something else. The alternate class feature UA also introduced the possibility of more frequent spell swapping but we'll see if that ever makes print.

Personally it would probably depend on what they did to burn out the spell. If it was something minor (in the scope of 9th level spells anyway) I'd probably just use the rules above - if you're at 20th level the campaign is probably going to be over soon as you can just live with the choice you made.

If it was something more dramatic and story driven I would be more inclined to have the impact of the spell effectively leave a wound in their magic that even the gods would have difficulty removing. They can go on a quest to remove it (but doing so may risk the wish they made becoming undone or effected in some way potentially).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of taking away the spell even when you push it's limits. If someone threw caution to the wind and abused the heck out of it after warning them of the consequences, then I would stick to it. Yes, I would make them leave it on their known spell list until they leveled up, if that was the situation.

4. - Top - End - #4

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demonslayer666 View Post
    I have to admit, I'm not a fan of taking away the spell even when you push it's limits. If someone threw caution to the wind and abused the heck out of it after warning them of the consequences, then I would stick to it. Yes, I would make them leave it on their known spell list until they leveled up, if that was the situation.
    The warning is in the spell description.

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    The warning is in the spell description.
    Like players read spell descriptions!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd have it sit on their spell list unless they swap it for something on level-up. Taking spells as a sorcerer takes careful forethought even at lower levels, and Wish should be regarded with extra caution.

Wizards have it easy by comparison, but that's really only if they're finding scrolls for 9th level spells. If they aren't, then they still suffer the same way a sorcerer does by having used up a freebie learned spell on something they can lose forever. And a 9th-level spell scroll is a reward great enough to warrant several sessions of effort to obtain anyway.

Lastly though, I let wizards recast Wish if they have an actual scroll for it, which I believe is RAW but not 100% sure. A Wish scroll makes for an excellent MacGuffin.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firelistener View Post
    I'd have it sit on their spell list unless they swap it for something on level-up. Taking spells as a sorcerer takes careful forethought even at lower levels, and Wish should be regarded with extra caution.

Wizards have it easy by comparison, but that's really only if they're finding scrolls for 9th level spells. If they aren't, then they still suffer the same way a sorcerer does by having used up a freebie learned spell on something they can lose forever. And a 9th-level spell scroll is a reward great enough to warrant several sessions of effort to obtain anyway.

Lastly though, I let wizards recast Wish if they have an actual scroll for it, which I believe is RAW but not 100% sure. A Wish scroll makes for an excellent MacGuffin.
    Wizards learn 2 spells on level up so I'm not super concerned about them losing wish personally.

Admittedly, when I had this thought it slipped my mind completely that other classes even had an opportunity to switch it out.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    What I'm asking is if you might rule differently, how you might and any reasoning behind it. More out of curiosity than anything.
    Divine intervention and a quest.

A story-driven way to find more FUN.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

If they wanted to swap it out then and there I'd consider letting it happen. A dead spell is particularly harsh on a Sorcerer*. Maybe swap it for the last spell they cast with Wish or the last spell they traded out. That being said, if I'm taking Wish on a Sorcerer it's for the stuff it lets me do that won't cost me one of my few spells known.

*This is why I've flipped my opinion on the UA that lets them swap out one spell per long rest. If we weren't using those rules I'd consider the swap, if we are they can wait until their next rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Our group runs Wish like this; as written, you have a one in three chance to lose the ability to cast Wish if you cast it for a non-spell replicating effect. You can then change Wish out when you level if you like.

You can also either find a Wish item or find another caster who can cast Wish. We allow you to regain the ability to cast Wish, by using another Wish spell to regain the ability to cast Wish as a non-spell replicating effect. (I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over, lol) If from a caster, they get to make another 1 in 3 roll, so items or scrolls are the best answer. A cleric's Divine intervention will also work, but that would require some serious God butt kissing.

All this is mostly in theory though. We only reached the 17+ levels once and Wish was never used for anything but replicating spells by my Bard.
    (Edited for clarity)
    Last edited by Battlebooze; 2020-08-11 at 04:09 PM.
    Awaken an animal and you make them smart for the rest of their life; Teach your Awakened animal to be a druid and they will create a new race and take over the world.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

Perhaps they could trade a 9th level spell with a wizard who wants wish?