New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default If you could play any race/species/creature, what would you play and why?

If every creature was playable (normal PC leveling and hp progression) what would you want to play and why?

Imp - sure
    Beholder - why not
    Ghost - boooo
    Chuul - if it makes you happy
    Marilith - all those arms
    Fire Elemental - it burns
    Mimic - I hide
    Nothic - just looks cool
    Gelatinous Cube - I'm super lazy
    Rust Monster - old school
    Xorn - bipedal is so boring
    Treant - I'm a tree

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: If you could play any race/species/creature, what would you play and why?

Which would I play? Yes.
    There are so many interesting creatures. Savage Species was my favorite 3.5e splatbook.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: If you could play any race/species/creature, what would you play and why?

Dragon
    Demon
    Celestial
    Awakened Beast
    Unicorn
    Niblog
    Flumpf
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

One of my favorite campaigns was an "evil" campaign where the DM allowed and encouraged us to play as monsters, the underlings of a now-defeated bbeg. I played a dragon whelp, the offspring of the bbeg's slain mount. All of us were either undead or very long lived, so our campaign spanned centuries, and my character was allowed to grow in size accordingly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Bring back the Vanara !
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

92% of forum users no longer put made-up statistics in their signatures. If you're part of the 8% who still do, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm most intrigued by non-standard body-type characters. Simply imaging with how being, for instance, a sentient slime impacts the typical adventuring life is half the fun. What use does a slime have for treasure? Would a slime want to use gold to purchase food? A place to "sleep"? What would it do for fun? What motivates it?

A slime is a bit extreme-the most "practical" version of this would to be a Beholder, maybe a "baby" beholder to keep it from having too much OP nonsense. I can already imagine the backstory-"One day, daddy Xanathar went to sleep wondering what beholder babies looked like, making a beholder in that image-me!". Beholders can at least manipulate objects, meaning you could theoretically play one as a mage or something.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I like Dopplegangers a lot. If they brought back Hound Archons that would be cool. In a similar vein, Barghests. I can actually think of their backstory for joining the PCs on that one. They infiltrate a goblinoid stronghold and plan to pick off the goblins, but the PCs bust in and they have to join them or lose all those juicy souls. Oni would be fun (though I liked when they were called Ogre Mages). Troll because being a regenerating monster if terrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Illithid.
    Some form of ooze
    A gargoyle
    an Aerenal Undying takes the cake though i think.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

9. - Top - End - #9

A simple Awaken animal. Many times I would have enjoyed getting something like Aslan the Lion, Caesar the Ape, or heck event one of the main characters from Wolf's Rain.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

GNOLLS!!! Because those fluffy demon dogs don't get enough love. I've already played one named Dedlock. Thanks to a kind DM. He learned common from trashy romance novels and now seeks true love.

But other than that...awakened wolf is also HIGH on the list. Because I want to try and overcome the many tough life problems lacking hands.(check out Dogs and Dungeons & cats and catacombs btw)

Oh half ogre. Cause I love playing big brutes with deep internal problems

Other than that all my favorites have stats. Orcs, minotaur(wish they were large though) Lizard folk, dwarves...etc

11. - Top - End - #11

DwarfFighterGuy

I really jam with wood woads. I feel like that's a weird one but it's just a cool monster

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrCharlie View Post
    I'm most intrigued by non-standard body-type characters. Simply imaging with how being, for instance, a sentient slime impacts the typical adventuring life is half the fun. What use does a slime have for treasure? Would a slime want to use gold to purchase food? A place to "sleep"? What would it do for fun? What motivates it?

A slime is a bit extreme-the most "practical" version of this would to be a Beholder, maybe a "baby" beholder to keep it from having too much OP nonsense. I can already imagine the backstory-"One day, daddy Xanathar went to sleep wondering what beholder babies looked like, making a beholder in that image-me!". Beholders can at least manipulate objects, meaning you could theoretically play one as a mage or something.
    That baby beholder idea is awesome, and I'm stealing it. Play as a Beholder Sorcerer (homebrew race, obviously), and each spell known is a different eye. The spell choice isn't optimal if you go by the book, and would be a bit limiting, but it would be a lot of fun to play. You arguably reach maturity at level 10 (Main eye + 10 other eyes, so 11 spells known). This is a few levels earlier than a traditional CR13 Beholder, but your spells are still developing. You're more of a young adult. As you grow from there, your eyes can cast more than one spell, but only from the same general idea as the original.

Another option would be a Rust Monster polymorphed into a humanoid race and cursed with sapience. Probably a low-int character, and any time the party turns around, they find you've wandered off and are gnawing on the nearest doorknob. I'd suggest playing as a monk or a druid for lack of reliance on metalic weapons/armor.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

MindFlayer

I'm not sure which monster I'd play, to be honest.

I imagine it would depend on the campaign in question (as some creatures may well make more sense than others).

Also, are we thinking monsters with class levels here, or just monsters as-written with no changes?

Quote Originally Posted by FoxWolFrostFire View Post
    GNOLLS!!! Because those fluffy demon dogs don't get enough love.
    Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes Gnolls.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post

I imagine it would depend on the campaign in question (as some creatures may well make more sense than others).

Also, are we thinking monsters with class levels here, or just monsters as-written with no changes?
    I would assume it works like the monstrous races in Volo's: they work just like a regular race, but require GM approval. Class levels work as normal (no MHD or the like, but care needs to be taken when designing the race).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon's the big one for me.

Spooky scary skeleton probably a close second, though you can get most of that pretty well with a refluffed Warforged already.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

In order for there to be any semblance of balance, I was thinking monsters with levels (like Volo's monster races).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ogre Mage/Oni are a personal favorite. They’re an amazing mix of frontline dominance with these surprisingly powerful and varied magic to draw from. Of course I just want to play Ganondorf.

Dragons a bit cliched but I’d play them in a heartbeat. Actually I might try to port over the Fantasy Craft rules for playing Drakes. At least as a starting point, anyway.

You know what. For a monstrous one-shot id play a Tarrasque. Don’t think it has enough there to remain interesting for a long time. There’s only so many villages you can eat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

GNOLLS!!! Because those fluffy demon dogs don't get enough love. I've already played one named Dedlock. Thanks to a kind DM. He learned common from trashy romance novels and now seeks true love.
    Here is an interesting gnoll in a webcomic. The webcomic is not about them, but they show up enough to be worth mentioning.
    Auraugu, champion of the fuzzy peoples!
    http://guildedage.net/comic/chapter-16-page-10/

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cliché View Post

Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes Gnolls.
    Dang right!! And I think it is monsters with class levels. Kind of take X monster and give it the minotaur treatment.
    BTW the guy who I think made ebberon released a 3rd party book with playable Gnolls

20. - Top - End - #20

Goblin

Genie
    Tanuki (Or just a raccoon person really)
    Gnoll
    One of those deals where you're a standard race, but the familiar is the actual character and the standard race body is just something they order around or w/e
    Psionic Sandwich
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I had a game where one player played as an Imp.

Specifically, the "player" was the Chain Pact Familiar for a Warforged Fiend Patron Warlock, with the Voice of the Chain Master Eldritch Invocation. The Warforged was played as a semi-autonomous construct forged in hell to be a mech for an Imp (and planar attunement point to repeatedly rematerialize near in the Prime Material, should the player Imp "die" and need to be resummoned.)

22. - Top - End - #22

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by kobo1d View Post
    I had a game where one player played as an Imp.

Specifically, the "player" was the Chain Pact Familiar for a Warforged Fiend Patron Warlock, with the Voice of the Chain Master Eldritch Invocation. The Warforged was played as a semi-autonomous construct forged in hell to be a mech for an Imp (and planar attunement point to repeatedly rematerialize near in the Prime Material, should the player Imp "die" and need to be resummoned.)
    Woah that's so cool! Guess who's gonna make a quasit mech for the next one shot?
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

23. - Top - End - #23

Actual Lycanthropes.. the one labeled as player lycans are way OP.. and shifters aren't really lycans. I want transforming at will
    half dragom
    dragon wyrmling
    satyr/faun
    Jacklewere (a creature who can become a man) also other species besides jackle
    plant race
    half vampire
    awakened animal
    the more monstrous yuan-ti / Quetzacoatl
    Gnoll (maybe a civilized subclass that's like domestic dog) just a playable canine race.

Tired of races that just look like slightly altered humans. basically if you could look like the race with a few simple props (horns, ears, orc tusks) and face paint I don't want to play it.
    Last edited by MagneticKitty; 2020-08-13 at 04:58 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    Actual Lycanthropes.. the one labeled as player lycans are way OP.. and shifters aren't really lycans. I want transforming at will
    half dragom
    dragon wyrmling
    satyr/faun
    Jacklewere (a creature who can become a man) also other species besides jackle
    plant race
    half vampire
    awakened animal
    the more monstrous yuan-ti / Quetzacoatl
    Gnoll (maybe a civilized subclass that's like domestic dog) just a playable canine race.

Tired of races that just look like slightly altered humans. basically if you could look like the race with a few simple props (horns, ears, orc tusks) and face paint I don't want to play it.
    Oh yeah. The snake bodied yuan-th would be great...also saytr are now official

25. - Top - End - #25

GreenSorcererElf

Quickling. I get to basically be Quicksilver.

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

A tiny race could be interesting. Always wanted to play a nac mac feegle esque character. I did it with a forest gnome once, but it just wasn't the same...
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    A tiny race could be interesting. Always wanted to play a nac mac feegle esque character. I did it with a forest gnome once, but it just wasn't the same...
    Your like my opposite lol. I want to play large races. Like a proper minotaur

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Your like my opposite lol. I want to play large races. Like a proper minotaur
    I mean I'd also be down for playing a huge or gargantuan races.
    Warforged Colossus Let's Go!!!
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

That sight is dynamite.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I mean I'd also be down for playing a huge or gargantuan races.
    Warforged Colossus Let's Go!!!
    Alright Ven Desle...I hope some one gets that joke

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Celestial. You used to be able to do that in 3.5 with the monster races book.