New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Tempest Cleric - Here Comes the Boom

So I know the consensus is that a level 20 tempest cleric is not Thor, but I would love to see a slight change or two to the build that would make it more Thor-like.

First, Thunderous Strike should key off of either lightning or thunder damage. Second, he should get the following ability:

You learn the booming blade cantrip, but on a hit you can have it deal either thunder or lightning damage.

Once you hit level 6, if you hit someone with an attack, they go flying back ten feet on the initial hit. If they come running at you, they fly back another ten feet.

In order to fit this ability, you need to remove either the level one ability or the level two ability. Removing Wrath of the Storm is probably more balanced, but having both booming blade for offensive knock back and Wrath of the Storm for defensive knock back would be nice.

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tempest Cleric - Here Comes the Boom

To me, Thor is more Fighter or Barbarian with a splash of Tempest Cleric. He wouldn't be a full tempest because Thor is anything but a full caster.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    He wouldn't be a full tempest because Thor is anything but a full caster.

Unless Taika Waititi is directing, in which case we're reminded "are you the god of hammers? what are you the god of?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    To me, Thor is more Fighter or Barbarian with a splash of Tempest Cleric. He wouldn't be a full tempest because Thor is anything but a full caster.
    Right, but tempest cleric is one of the few options for unlimited flying. You'd need an eldritch knight with several abilities from the tempest cleric.

The only part of tempest that really screams, "this isn't Thor" are the healing spells. If this character just uses booming blade and the offensive lightning spells of the subclass, knocking people back when he does, and flying at high levels, then that's pretty Thor-like.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

A while back I did a thread on Marvel characters adapted to D&D ... for Thor, I went with Battle Master Fighter 5 / Storm Sorcerer 6 / Tempest Cleric 9.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    A while back I did a thread on Marvel characters adapted to D&D ... for Thor, I went with Battle Master Fighter 5 / Storm Sorcerer 6 / Tempest Cleric 9.
    I like it. I just know the first time I read the 17th level ability I thought, "Yep, unlimited flying with thunder damage on all weapon attacks. This is Thor"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sayaijin View Post
    I like it. I just know the first time I read the 17th level ability I thought, "Yep, unlimited flying with thunder damage on all weapon attacks. This is Thor"
    Yeah, I can see your thought process. On the other hand, he doesn't actually fly that often in the films. So I was ok with him just having the Fly spell.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Now that I think about it more, eldritch knight has the ability to summon their weapon. This could be flavored as your hammer coming back to you.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sayaijin View Post
    Now that I think about it more, eldritch knight has the ability to summon their weapon. This could be flavored as your hammer coming back to you.
    True, but maybe not necessary IMO. Marvel's Thor can't summon just any weapon, but only the enchanted hammer Mjolnir. This basically already exists in the DMG as the Hammer of Thunderbolts. In traditional lore before the Marvel stuff, Thor had magic gauntlets and a belt that let him wield any weapon and double his strength (Járngreipr and Megingjörđ) which is represented by requiring the Belt of Giant Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Power to use the Hammer of Thunderbolts.

That said, the Hammer of Thunderbolts doesn't explicitly state that the hammer returns to you, so maybe eldritch knight really is necessary. I've always seen it ruled that the hammer returns to the wielder in practice though.
    Last edited by firelistener; 2020-08-12 at 01:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by firelistener View Post
    True, but maybe not necessary IMO. Marvel's Thor can't summon just any weapon, but only the enchanted hammer Mjolnir. This basically already exists in the DMG as the Hammer of Thunderbolts. In traditional lore before the Marvel stuff, Thor had magic gauntlets and a belt that let him wield any weapon and double his strength (Járngreipr and Megingjörđ) which is represented by requiring the Belt of Giant Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Power to use the Hammer of Thunderbolts.

That said, the Hammer of Thunderbolts doesn't explicitly state that the hammer returns to you, so maybe eldritch knight really is necessary. I've always seen it ruled that the hammer returns to the wielder in practice though.
    Well sticking with MCU Thor, he also summons Storm breaker. Eldritch Knight allows for two weapons, so I'm thinking EK 3 allows you to turn all of those cleric healing spells into upcast thunderwaves.

So EK 3 TC 17 for flying?