New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Mr Fruit Pie the Sorceror and surviving the destruction of the world

Mr Fruit Pie appears in #91. Much, much later, Thor tells Durkon about the movie snack world. So it looks like mortals can survive the destruction of the world.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Mr Fruit Pie the Sorceror and surviving the destruction of the world

I didn't take that as a mortal surviving the destruction of the world, I took that as the gods literally inserting Easter eggs from previous worlds into the new one for their own amusement.
    Last edited by hroşila; 2020-08-12 at 05:01 AM.
    ungelic is us

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Mr Fruit Pie the Sorceror and surviving the destruction of the world

The Giant has dropped things into early episodes only to bring them back much later before with meaning. Remember the belt of gender changing? Remember the crayon drawings? Remember Hilgya?

Okay, Mr Fruit Pie got killed, but maybe that was a Simulacrum or Eidolon, or he has Contingent Resurrection?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Mr. Fruit Pie isn't necessarily from Sentient Theater Snacks world. Maybe there are more of his kind in Stickworld.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Mr Fruit Pie appears in #91. Much, much later, Thor tells Durkon about the movie snack world. So it looks like mortals can survive the destruction of the world.
    I tend to agree. We know people can planeshift to the outer planes, so almost assuredly some individuals from other worlds survived the various system purges. The question is if the Gods mind wipe them along with the archons, angels and souls of the dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Or Maybe Fruit Pie the sorcerer is the character who has appeared in 1 page who will become a powerful ally.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Of course. Not only is he a dimensional traveler, he's also a time traveler !
    Too bad the order didn't stay around to notice his demise. They could have warned him.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

8. - Top - End - #8

Or he could just be Proof That {The Giant} Is A Deeply Disturbed Individual.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I tend to agree. We know people can planeshift to the outer planes, so almost assuredly some individuals from other worlds survived the various system purges.
    I would imagine the gods would just send Inevitables after any such people.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Or Maybe Fruit Pie the sorcerer is the character who has appeared in 1 page who will become a powerful ally.
    I choose to believe in this 100%.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-12 at 06:59 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I would imagine the gods would just send Inevitables after any such people.
    What do you have against our "The Far Realms is made up of the remnants of all the previous worlds" headcanon?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    What do you have against our "The Far Realms is made up of the remnants of all the previous worlds" headcanon?
    Presumably, there is a long stretch of time between worlds, and the gods go to extreme lengths to protect the secret, such as by having a complete communications blackout and memory-wiping all planar creatures. So having some dude pop off into the astral plane for a bit seems like such a remarkably obvious tactic that the gods not addressing it would seem downright strange at best, is all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12

The Far Realms aren't just another plane, it is absolutely the best place I can think of to hide from the gods themselves. It's the place that abberations come from, and where forgotten eldritch beings still slumber. Unfortunately, trying to live there tends to go very poorly for your sanity and "not being a hideous monster"-ness.

Also I think these guys are more likely candidates to be from movie snack world. Also Popcorn didn't die on screen, obviously he is the unforeseen ally who has only appeared on one page so far.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I didn't take that as a mortal surviving the destruction of the world, I took that as the gods literally inserting Easter eggs from previous worlds into the new one for their own amusement.
    Y'know, either theory works, but I like the Easter egg theory best. Especially since I can imagine the more straight-laced gods (eg Heimdall) hating that world for being too silly and wanting to ignore its former existence even more than the rest of the worlds, so that would be an incentive enough for someone like Loki to specifically include a reminder.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Presumably, there is a long stretch of time between worlds, and the gods go to extreme lengths to protect the secret, such as by having a complete communications blackout and memory-wiping all planar creatures. So having some dude pop off into the astral plane for a bit seems like such a remarkably obvious tactic that the gods not addressing it would seem downright strange at best, is all.
    Seems like it would be simpler to have the memory wipe cover everyone on the Outer Planes, just to be safe - including the several dozen Material Plane residents who happen to be traveling the planes at the moment the world is destroyed. I assume that’s what happens.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Spamalot in the Playground

Polymorph gone wrong, based on a record from the old world?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

16. - Top - End - #16

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Polymorph gone wrong, based on a record from the old world?
    I don’t think we should automatically assume it went wrong. Don’t yuck anyone’s yum, especially anyone as yummy as a Fruit Pie.

17. - Top - End - #17

In my headcannon, the gods make each material plane in a different location each time. Even if someone in the astral plane looked for the new world, they have infinite space to search.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    That's just stupid.

If anything they'd be literal vernal equinox eggs: Eggs the size of a horse hidden across the world. Each spring one hatches a full grown aberration from a previous world.

18. - Top - End - #18

Have you been sneaking looks at my DM notes for the Girl Genius campaign?

19. - Top - End - #19

Lizardfolk

I actually like that a lot. We need some Eastern Pantheon Cthulhu shenanigans going on.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

No, I think it points to something much darker. Because if Fruit Pie the Sorcerer was indeed born in the Movie Snack Universe ... who in their right mind would choose to categorize a fruit pie as a movie snack? Clearly, Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is the product of a deeply disturbed and deviant god.

This is further borne out by the fact that snack fruit pies are disgusting. They never look as good in person as they do on the box; the pastry is soggy and disintegrating or stale and stiff; the filling is lumpy and mushy and syrupy and cloyingly overstuffed with sugar and it's never really the right color or the right flavor, and it leaves an odious aftertaste that's never quite the same each time - bitter some times, sour and acidic others, some times it leaves the flavor of actual cardboard. You think to stick in a microwave perhaps, but that never works - it becomes this hideous lump of mixed food-like components that's either still frozen cold or lava hot, never in-between. Snack fruit pies are a mockery of real pies, and real fruit, and wears their names like a serial killer wearing the faces of their victims.

I contend that Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is not a single entity. Rather, it is a creation of the Snarl itself, that is recreated anew in every universe, to act as the Snarl's agent to destabilize the fabric of reality. It steadily saps at the health and strength of the mortal residents with artificial preservatives and trans fats, weakening the mortals until they can no longer fight against the Snarl. And by distorting the very definitions of "snack", and of "fruit" and of "pies" - the three pillars of unalloyed pure goodness - it also disturbs the very concept of truth.

No matter how this all plays out, the true hero of this story is that lone goblin who slew Fruit Pie the Sorcerer. If this universe survives, that unnamed, unknown goblin will be the one who actually saved us all.

The hero we needed.

21. - Top - End - #21

PaladinGuy

That is sick, evil, and twisted. I like it!

22. - Top - End - #22

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    No, I think it points to something much darker. Because if Fruit Pie the Sorcerer was indeed born in the Movie Snack Universe ... who in their right mind would choose to categorize a fruit pie as a movie snack? Clearly, Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is the product of a deeply disturbed and deviant god.

This is further borne out by the fact that snack fruit pies are disgusting. They never look as good in person as they do on the box; the pastry is soggy and disintegrating or stale and stiff; the filling is lumpy and mushy and syrupy and cloyingly overstuffed with sugar and it's never really the right color or the right flavor, and it leaves an odious aftertaste that's never quite the same each time - bitter some times, sour and acidic others, some times it leaves the flavor of actual cardboard. You think to stick in a microwave perhaps, but that never works - it becomes this hideous lump of mixed food-like components that's either still frozen cold or lava hot, never in-between. Snack fruit pies are a mockery of real pies, and real fruit, and wears their names like a serial killer wearing the faces of their victims.

I contend that Fruit Pie the Sorcerer is not a single entity. Rather, it is a creation of the Snarl itself, that is recreated anew in every universe, to act as the Snarl's agent to destabilize the fabric of reality. It steadily saps at the health and strength of the mortal residents with artificial preservatives and trans fats, weakening the mortals until they can no longer fight against the Snarl. And by distorting the very definitions of "snack", and of "fruit" and of "pies" - the three pillars of unalloyed pure goodness - it also disturbs the very concept of truth.

No matter how this all plays out, the true hero of this story is that lone goblin who slew Fruit Pie the Sorcerer. If this universe survives, that unnamed, unknown goblin will be the one who actually saved us all.

The hero we needed.
    Truly, unnamed goblin saved us all...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post

The hero we needed.
    Is it too late to guess that that goblin will become the "major ally who has only appeared on a single page so far"?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Is it too late to guess that that goblin will become the "major ally who has only appeared on a single page so far"?
    My quatloos are on the woman from the tavern of infinite one night stands.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

He's a pastry golem.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    He's a pastry golem.
    With class levels in Sorcerer? Fruit Pie is clearly a warforged.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Or he could just be Proof That {The Giant} Is A Deeply Disturbed Individual.
    That's an easy five centavo bet. *clinks down coins*
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    I like the Easter egg theory best.
    Me too, especially Loki messing with Heimdal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    I actually like that a lot. We need some Eastern Pantheon Cthulhu shenanigans going on.
    Heck yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    My quatloos are on the woman from the tavern of infinite one night stands.
    She already got all of my money; there was something in my drink - where's my watch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    He's a pastry golem.
    Oh, man, I am so gonna use that in our campaign ...
    Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    +1 for putting this into game terms. Well played!
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post

ITYM kitchen-forged. :)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

ITYM kitchen-forged. :)
    Built as mindless confections to fight in the Last Great British Bake Off, the kitchenforged developed sentience as a side effect of the arcane experiments that sought to make them the ultimate vehicles of tastiness...
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Truly, unnamed goblin saved us all...
    Not quite. Elan knew what Fruit Pie is, and they were apparently on friendly terms. It is immediately evident that they have been working together all along. Elan is an agent of the Snarl. That is why he destroyed Dorukan's Gate. Also, Tarquin was partly right: Elan is the real leader. He subtly manipulates the others from behind his faked stupidity, and it's working. The Order managed to (directly or indirectly) destroy three Gates thus far.
    All in all, I think we've found our final boss. The moment Elan gets close enough to the final Gate… Messy things are waiting ahead.