New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dweomer of Transferrence

i was reading another thread regarding this spell, someone participating in which seemed to believe that magic/psionic transparency allowed for it to sluhrp up powers thrown at the recipient as well.

is there any way to refute this? outside of the fact that i'm pretty sure it'd say as such, since it's like... in the book for psychic boiz

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Dweomer of Transferrence

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    i was reading another thread regarding this spell, someone participating in which seemed to believe that magic/psionic transparency allowed for it to sluhrp up powers thrown at the recipient as well.

is there any way to refute this? outside of the fact that i'm pretty sure it'd say as such, since it's like... in the book for psychic boiz
    Admittedly the spell's description in both the book and in SRD is a bit unclear how it's supposed to work with psionics-magic transparency in use. Literal reading would suggest that yes, if psionics count as magic and thus powers count as spells, then manifesting powers against someone with Dweomer of Transference active would result in "shlurping" spells AND powers for extra power points to use within 1 hour.

However, my guess is this isn't RAI. Then again, if it is, or your DM rules it that way, good for you! You're now literally immune to almost all spells and powers thrown at you!
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-08-13 at 03:19 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, another problem is that the SRD description seems to have a very unfortunate and critical omission in the text: it should say "For the duration of the spell, any spells you cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect[...]". The rest of the spell description seems to treat this as RAI/implicit.

Regardless, no, Dweomer of Transference does not affect powers manifested on the target. The psionics/magic transparency rules write-up explicitly addresses this: "Whenever a power has a specific effect on other powers or spells, the power description explains the effect (and vice versa for spells that affect powers)." DoT doesn't say anything about absorbing powers, it explicitly calls out a specific effect on other spells; this trumps whatever general effect P/M transparency would otherwise have.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Well, another problem is that the SRD description seems to have a very unfortunate and critical omission in the text: it should say "For the duration of the spell, any spells you cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect[...]". The rest of the spell description seems to treat this as RAI/implicit.

Regardless, no, Dweomer of Transference does not affect powers manifested on the target. The psionics/magic transparency rules write-up explicitly addresses this: "Whenever a power has a specific effect on other powers or spells, the power description explains the effect (and vice versa for spells that affect powers)." DoT doesn't say anything about absorbing powers, it explicitly calls out a specific effect on other spells; this trumps whatever general effect P/M transparency would otherwise have.
    The entry on transparency is thus:

The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.

Psionics-Magic Transparency: Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions in the Player's Handbook or the magic item descriptions in the Dungeon Master's Guide, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics (unless the DM uses the Psionics Is Different option described later in this chapter).
    There's more, but it's all specific interactions, such as SR/PR and dispelling.

So according to the transparency rules, dweomer of transference definitely does work with powers. Now, whether it only works on spells and powers YOU use is...murky, at best. Parts of the spell insist that it's any spell (or power), while others specify they're spells you cast.

It really does need some time with the editing and errata machine. And NOT the Google one.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

...oh, right, converts to "power POINTS", not "powers."

I think I was just trying to subconsciously block out what a terrible job they did with writing that spell up.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?