Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 70: Surprisingly Pleasant

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [The Old House on the Hill]

"Oh! Somewhere older-fashioned, then. I can do that. How are you with places that are a little warm? Do you just cool it down automatically?" Because if she's bothered by heat he might want to take her to a place that isn't the one he's presently thinking of. It can get a little hot in there...
    "Otherwise I could just take you back to one of the places I can just cook something myself."

"Hm? Oh heat is fine. Despite how it might look, I'm not in danger of melting any more than anyone else. If anything, I just don't get cold anymore. Really opens up the wardrobe in cooler months, actually." she said, taking the stairs up to a now much cleaner looking hallway. There seemed to still be a lack of furnishing around the place but certainly no stains... The petrified wood looked more like polished boards of amber and a faint scent of evergreen permeated the whole mansion. It wasn't that bad of a place now that it just wasn't so spooky. Even the boards over the windows and door were gone... Though that begged the question of what Sam was actually doing with them earlier. That could actually be a scary thought if he considered it, being able to make something feel like it was there with real weight when it was no more than a trick of the mind. Simulacra aside... "I mean, a place used to become cooler the longer I was around until I got control over that aspect." Mostly at least. Things should be fine as long as she wasn't asleep for too long as Sam would probably be able to attest to. "Anyway, it doesn't have to be old fashioned, just know the fancier it is, the more questions you're going to be getting about what stuff is or how it works." she added.

2. - Top - End - #542

[Carousel Court]

"Oh my, that sounds serious," the somewhat portly earth pony mare behind the counter says, peeking out the window. "Dear me, you ran afoul of the crusaders didn't you? Do you want a variety basket? I have a few of those put together already."

Indeed she does!

A little wicker basket full of fancy looking boxes of chocolate covered fruits.

Nick could probably just grab one and bolt.

She even pushes it closer to him with a hoof.

This is probably the safest course of action.

Grab a basket and get outta there!
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Sam leads Alva down the block.
    "Can't help but feel like I could the better deal here, you know." he jokes, tails swishing behind him.
    "I get to hang out with a beautiful magic lady with some kinda fancy title for sure, and you're stuck with the biggest chef MERC's got. Ain't dressed nice and well. I did just go through a whole house, you know." So that's Alva's fault if he sweat a little. Not that she might even know, his weird bio-engineered body being how it is.

[Carousel Court]

"Yes, indeed. Thank you for your service and your understanding, Ma'am." Nick takes the basket and hurries out the door, already stretching his wings. Flying is going to be awkward, but he can probably do it unless he hits a stray unicorn's tower or a clothesline.
    On the plus side, this is by far one of the more harmless times someone has tried to 'fix' a problem in his life. Last time this happened Fortuna split Geneva into two.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #544

"Oooh so that's how it is, hm? Trying to take me home on the first date?" she said, giving Sam's shoulder a playful poke. "Weren't you the one worried about what people would say?" she added. Teasing seemed to be a common theme, it seems. Though that was a good thing, right? It was all lighthearted at least. "I guess I could forgive this indiscretion as long as you put your coins where your chops are and deliver on being such a good chef for this.. MERC was it?" she said, not even acknowledging the low-hanging fruit of Sam calling himself the 'biggest chef.'

"So what exactly is MERC then? I mean, I saw a flier or something but I've not looked into it to be honest.. So what do you guys do then?" she asked. It kinda sounded like some kind of adventuring group or guild but.. Not quite? It seemed like half guild-half agency to her.

5. - Top - End - #545

[Carousel Court]

The portly mare waves to Nick as he departs.

And then-!?

...he will be able to make it back home without anything weird happening to him.

Sometimes the surprise is that there is no surprise.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

”Well, mostly they do mercenary work like fighting monsters and criminals outside Intersection’s jurisdiction and stuff. Find lost items and stuff. But I just cook usually. Sometimes I get hired like the regular mercenaries but it’s usually just for cooking. Though now I guess I could double as a lock pick.” He chuckles.
    ”And like I said. If you want I’d be happy to take you to an office and cook instead of spending money at a buffet. But it might take longer. And it wouldn’t be as nice.” He can’t exactly get gourmet at a small mercenary kitchen.

7. - Top - End - #547

[The Old House on the Hill > Arkham Street and Beyond!]

"Hey, take the hint. I'm fine with what you pick." she said, maybe a bit more forceful than before. "Really, sometimes it's alright to just pick something and go with it instead of waffling around to make sure every last thing is in place." she said more softly. Waffles, though, that was an idea. She'd like to have those again sometime soon but maybe something more savory than sweet would be better at the immediate moment.

"So, while you decide for us, why don't you share some of those stories of yours then? I mean, even a cook probably has heard of a thing or two despite being stuck in the kitchen, right? Unless that is cla-ssi-fied info." she said. Not wanting to seem like she was prying into proprietary information, after all. She did, though, file that information about lock-picking away, however. That might make for some fun shenanigans later.

8. - Top - End - #548

[RIOT!]

Okay not really.

Riots usually involve lots of people.

This is just several hoodlums throwing their weight around.

A loud crunch as someone's car skips off the pavement, tumbling end over end before slamming into a storefront. Pedestrians scream and flee.

Okay, maybe their weight and other things, too.

The perpetrators? Two unruly looking young adults wearing... football padding? With an angry looking frowny yellow face spray-painted on the front and back. One of them, a tiny waif of a woman with spiked pink hair, touches another car with a single finger, causes a shimmering field of power to wink into existence around it. Then she lobs it like a ping-pong ball. The other, a rather portly man with his paunch hanging below the pads, looks on laughing.

"So what, we're just causing trouble?" the woman inquires as she walks up to a mailbox, uproots it, and flings it through a third story window.

"Yeah," the chubby man replies. "The boss just wanted folks to know this is RIOT!'s turf now. Y'know, cause some property damage. Let 'em know what's up."

"Haha, fine by me!" the woman laughs as a pickup truck goes flying.

Will no one stop these ruffians?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

Someone is going to stop these hoodlums! A woman steps into the street, wearing a high-tech suit of armor with a Greco-Roman design. She's very attractive, and the suit doesn't do much to hide it, although not to the point of sacrificing protection for looks. She flexes her hands outwards and a field of hard light appears, deflecting the flying car away from a group of pedestrians. "You really should watch where you throw your toys. People could get hurt!" She quips.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #550

[RIOT!]

"Haha, I was wondering when some local capes would show up," the woman laughs as she touches a nearby lamp post, that clashing field of stack surrounding it-

-only for the fat guy to hold up a hand. "Let me handle this one, Shotput," he says, looking pretty smug. "Hey! Who're you with? Local gang, maybe? Awfully shiny for that. Protectorate chapter?"

He'll wait a few seconds for a reply.

And the moment Jade does look like she's letting her guard down in the slightest the huge dude suddenly teleports.

Right into the space that Jade occupies.

There's maybe a half second worth of time between the big guy vanishing and reappearing again, and if Jade is occupying the same space as him she'll get launched away as if she had been hit by something of his mass moving at the speed necessary to bridge the gap between the two locations.

Shotput begins laughing. "Haha! Man I love watching you do your thing, Telefrag. Make sure there's some of her left to-GAH!"

To gah?

That's probably because Shotput just got tackled from behind by half a dozen weird basket-ball sized tendriled orbs. They lash around her arms and legs, clamp onto each other, and yank her hard into the pavement. "What the hell!?"

An earth pony mare, glad in a woven green and black body suit, trots out from around a corner. Several more of a tendril orbs follow her, slithering across the pavement. "That launching trick is pretty neat. How well does it work against things that are glomped onto you?"

The villain blinks. "...a talking horse? The hell?"

11. - Top - End - #551
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Kraken open a Book]

What? What was that? Did the irrelevant nobody who led them here just try to tell Suzie what to do?!

Suzie quietly puts her books down. She stands up tall (still not that tall), folds her tentacles over each other, and glares at Zee.

"Minion." One of Suzie's many eyes focus on Marina. "Explain to the peasant lady what happens when people try to tell me what to do."

Is this a bit? It may sound like a bit, like some kind of planned routine, but it's really not. Still, Marina probably has a pretty good idea what happens when someone angers Suzie. Remember that incident at Bloodsong's? Something about their doom being swift and wet?
    Kraken Open A Book

Were Marina more familiar with the nature and rules of libraries, she probably would attempt to be more of a mediating force. As it stands now though, she doesn't quite see any reason not to do exactly as her mistress requests.

"My mistress is not obliged to take commands from those below her station, and finds it quite infuriating when one acts above theirs," she addresses in a cold, warning tone. "I recommend you hold your tongue, lest you wish to suffer the mercies of a riptide."
    Avatar by Gulaghar, thanks so much!

"Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtok
    If it'll keep you from linking that abomination ever again, then fine. You're evil enough. You win.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

Jade keeps moving, and isn't about to drop her guard anytime soon. When the guy teleports, she's not in the same place. "Should we make a name for our team?" she asks Morning Glory, "Or maybe we'd be better off waiting until we've got a few more members." She levels her arm at the so-called Telefrag and fires a beam of hard light which should knock even someone as big as him off their feet. "Speaking of names, Shotput? That's a good one. But Telefrag? Is that even a word?"

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #553

[Kraken Open A Book]

"Okay that's great and all, I'm sure you're really important somewhere, but in libraries you're supposed to stay quiet. Especially this one. I don't want to upset the Librarian since he already doesn't like me," Zee says, providing a bit of additional information on the situation.

What was that?

Was that shambling?

Zee is pretty sure she heard shambling from somewhere nearby.

Or maybe at least trundling.

Either way, not a good sign on the noise front.

"Look, if he shows up mad then you two are on your own. I don't want to get hit with a rake," Zee says, glancing around nervously.

[RIOT!]

"A name might be fun. Do you think that hero with the gravity powers you mentioned might be willing to join?" Morning Glory replies as she paces in a circle around Shotput. The villain seems thoroughly weirded out by the equestrian. MG is thinking this super-powered gang must be a recent arrival in the Nexus if they haven't ever seen a pony before. Sure, equestrians aren't the most common folk in the City, but if you've been here any length of time you're going to meet somepony eventually.

The annoying thing about Telefrag's teleportation power is that while reappearing does have a delay, vanishing doesn't.

Jade's beam goes zipping through empty space and ruins some brickwork across the street.

This time Telefrago doesn't appear on top of Jade, he appears right on top of Morning Glory! She gets unceremoniously catapulted into a wall with a thunk.

"AH!"
    comes a cry of pain as she shakily pulls herself back to her hooves. Earth ponies are tough and the padding in her armor took a decent portion of that impact, but she's still seeing stars.

"Telefrag is a great name, you uncultured pig!" the portly villain shouts, clearly annoyed. "The term was coined in-"

"Shut up and get these stupid ball things off me!" Shotput yells as she struggles against Horsetail's ambulatory spores. Without her direct input the spores are doing whatever she last told them to do, namely hugging Shotput into immobility. Apparently her power doesn't interact well with things that are wrapped around her.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

"I can ask, but she's shy. I know a few others who might be interested too. A sound manipulator, a bird. Maybe a roboticsist." Apparently Jade isn't too concerned with the fight currently going on. She fires a couple more beams at the pair of villains. "Just the two of you? Next time bring some friends. Maybe it'd be a fair fight," she taunts.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #555

[Outside Trog's Tavern]

Zee steps out of Trog's Tavern, ready to get this caper to Skyside underway.

They're going to need transportation, though. There are a couple options on that front. They could take Riftline out to the base of the floating island and then take one of the trams up. But she's thinking public transportation might not be the best idea. OR she could do something really flashy and impressive, but they want to keep sort of a low profile here and that would be anything but. Or they could take a taxi.

"TAXI!" Zee yells, waving her arms skyward.

Moments later a flying saucer painted in distinctive yellow and black stripes descends, the little bubble chamber at the top swinging open. Inside is a stereotypical grey in a taxi uniform. "Where to, toots?"

"We're heading to Skyside. Over at-" Zee says before rambling off the address from the napkin. "Think you can get us there?"

"Pfft, can I? Hop in, ladies, and enjoy the ride!" the grey laughs in reply.

Zee will climb into the cab, offering a hand to help Solstice in as well.

[RIOT!]

Morning Glory gives her head a shake before pulling a spore pod out of her saddle bags and lobbing it toward Telefrag and Shotput.

Unsurprisingly Telefrag ports out of the way just as the spore bomb blows up and Shotput gets pummeled with light beams. Now she's bludgeoned AND completely buried in a pile of grasping spores.

Though this time when Telefrag tries catching Horsetail she's ready for him, doing a quick canter away from the blast zone before aiming a buck straight into his pudgy mid-section. The villain definitely wasn't expecting the little pony to kick as hard as she does and gets sent sprawling. Athena's follow-up beam catches him square in the side of the head and he's out like a light.

Horsetail trots over to the downed villains and instructs some of her spores to dogpile Telefrag as well. She isn't sure if that'll prevent him from teleporting but worth a try, right?

"I think these clowns would have been a lot tougher if we hadn't gotten the drop on Shotput," Horsetail says, eyeing the spore-heap with disdain. "Do you think we might be able to stomp some information on this RIOT! gang out of them? It sounds like there might be more super-powered gangers who need their butts kicked."

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

Jade projects hardlight to create bonds around Shotput's legs, then lifts her up into the air, dangling upside down. "Don't bother with the other guy. He'll just be able to escape. But we can question this nice lady here."

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

[Outside Trog's Tavern]

Solstice soon meets Zee outside, awaiting the.. method of transportation.

The Taxi descends, and Solstice wordlessly climbs in after Zee, albeit quite hesitantly. She really had no idea what this thing was....

Hopefully Solstice's mere presence didn't do anything screwy with all the advanced technology that this thing apparently was.
    Summer Fashion Drow avatar drawn by linklele (and I may have made a few adjustments).

Nexus character: Solstice

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Outside Trog's

"Hey, hey! Wait for me!" Jade comes running up. The beautiful human is carrying a large duffel bag full of something heavy and lumpy. "Don't think I'm going to let the two of you run off into a trap without backup." She jumps into the taxi before anyone can protest. "Let's go!"

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #559

[Outside Trog's Tavern]

The grey is in fact an extra-dimensional being rather than an extra-terrestrial one. The taxi is a manifestation of its psionic will. As such, it is unlikely to get messed up by magic that makes technology sad.

Might screw up Zee's phone, though. That would probably make her sad.

Oh hey then Jade hops in, too!

"Okay, let's go rough up a goblin," Zee declares as the taxi lifts off.

The taxi driver shrugs. This ain't none of HIS buisness.

Off to Skyside!

[RIOT!]

And so Shotput finds herself dangling from the sky with a bunch of big green spores hanging off her.

She looks like a really disheveled bunch of grapes.

"Ugh... what..." she mutters. Looks like it's time for Jade to ask some questions!

As for Telefrag, every time he starts acting like he's coming to Horsetail kicks him again.

Ouch...

Good thing the bottom of her hooves are rubberized. Still, that's GOT to hurt.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

"Okay now, miss. Mind telling me who you work for?" Jade already expects a denial. She makes a show of taking her right guantlet off, then her left. "My code prevents me from killing or maiming anyone. It doesn't prevent me from giving you a beating you won't forget." She cracks her knuckles.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #561

[RIOT!]

Struggling doesn't appear to help Shotput at all.

Which is good for our heroes.

Less good for the villain.

"I'm with RIOT! And when the boss hears about what you did he's going to have your heads!" the ganger yells. "This area is our terf now and we don't like capes sticking their noses where they don't belong!"

Well.

That's quite the declaration, isn't it?

Horsetail doesn't look impressed.

"What the hell is up with the talking horse?"

Now she looks even less impressed.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

[Grey Zone - Museum Street Backalley]

Billie furrows her brow at this.

Had the attack on the collector occurred at his museum?

That certainly would imply that this attacker was capable of using these strange objects aggressively, rather than passively as a trap. This meant that the individual in question would be far more dangerous than previously expected. "I'll need the case reports for both previous victims as soon as possible."

With a sigh, she nods in confirmation to the officer's previous question. "That'd be best. Forward any relevant information, if you would."

This was turning out to be a strange case, indeed.

[Slums - Cabaret]

"Aye. Thank you for your cooperation, sir, I'll take it from 'ere. Have a good day." Michalson will go inside and head for the boss's office. Or rather, for the man currently blocking his way there. "Good day, sir. I'm from the Intersection and I must speak to your employer. He may have information about a missing person.[/QUOTE]

The doorman just frowns.

Fortunately, the other man seems far less neurotic.

He'd already gotten the gist of the conversation and simply steps aside. The small corridor beyond turns to the left, towards the dressing rooms. A foul, stained curtain serves as a barrier which blocks off the latter half of the hall. An old wooden door leads to what is likely the office in question.

It's slightly ajar, which means access shouldn't be particularly difficult.

[Cormorant House]

Detective Bansford raises a brow.

The teenager's lack of recognition proved informative.

"Nevermind," she murmurs. There's no malice in her words, but she's clearly stressed. Rather than go deeper into detail, she simply takes another drag from her cigarette, enjoying the silence. Then, Magdalene mentions Intersection policy."It's complicated."

"Intersection is a massive organization, and there's an awful lot of Inside."
    She seems bitter about it.

There was an awful lot of red tape involved.

[The Grand Canal]

Nahira seems thrilled with the situation at hand.

"It's a miracle, my pet!" She continues to gesture and trace her feet along the ground.

Great strings of paper lanterns soar out from the eaves which curve upwards upon each rooftop. Great banners unfurl out of nowhere, dropping down to hang over the sides. With every gesture, the multilayered building becomes grander. "I have no idea what it is!"

"Aaaa!"
    She leaps once in place, cracking the cement as she lands back down.
    don't click this

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

The Grand Canal

”Oh.”
    Well. Uh. Edgar stands beside Nahira, not dating to put an arm around her supportively despite that he feels like it would normally be the stereotypical thing to do, and enjoys the show.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Nightclub]

"Ooh, guitar?" she says, moving a little closer. Sure, surfing and lifeguard is cool, but guitar is so much cooler.
    She glances over at the band, and adds: "You anywhere near as good as them?" she asks.

"Because if you are, you need to teach me."
    [Nightclub]

Ted has a rather coy smile on his lips. An opening! "I've been playing for years, so I'd say I am. I could be convinced to teach you, but then we could end up starting our own band even." He seems to be considering it.

Wouldn't that be cool though, Tiff?
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [The Old House on the Hill > Arkham Street and Beyond!]

"Hey, take the hint. I'm fine with what you pick." she said, maybe a bit more forceful than before. "Really, sometimes it's alright to just pick something and go with it instead of waffling around to make sure every last thing is in place." she said more softly. Waffles, though, that was an idea. She'd like to have those again sometime soon but maybe something more savory than sweet would be better at the immediate moment.

"So, while you decide for us, why don't you share some of those stories of yours then? I mean, even a cook probably has heard of a thing or two despite being stuck in the kitchen, right? Unless that is cla-ssi-fied info." she said. Not wanting to seem like she was prying into proprietary information, after all. She did, though, file that information about lock-picking away, however. That might make for some fun shenanigans later.
    [Arkham Street and Beyond]

Sam nods.
    "Right now me n' Lucy are staying at this ritzy hotel while we house-hunt. I'll whip something up for you." he says proudly.
    "We get the weirdest people coming in to request stuff. Usually I keep out of it. But I've also had people just show up and ask for me specifically. Like this one fancy noble lady with this spider-theme throwing a real fancypants party. She was nice. Paid well. But it was kind of strange. Even had someone break into the kitchen during that one. She said she was just lost but I don't know if I believe that."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

"The talking horse just beat you down. I'd show her some respect. And how about you bring your boss here next time? Maybe with three of you, it could be a fair fight." Jade shakes the criminal up and down a bit. "This turf belongs to the people who live here, not to uppity crooks trying to cut out a little kingdom for themselves."

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #567

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Arkham Street and Beyond]

Sam nods.
    "Right now me n' Lucy are staying at this ritzy hotel while we house-hunt. I'll whip something up for you." he says proudly.
    "We get the weirdest people coming in to request stuff. Usually I keep out of it. But I've also had people just show up and ask for me specifically. Like this one fancy noble lady with this spider-theme throwing a real fancypants party. She was nice. Paid well. But it was kind of strange. Even had someone break into the kitchen during that one. She said she was just lost but I don't know if I believe that."
    "Maybe they were trying to poison that spider-lady? Clearly a noble would be a prime target for intrigue and subterfuge. I'm shocked that you weren't rewarded for your virtuous deed of thwarting an assassin's plot." As he clearly wouldn't be house-hunting if he had been, right? Of course, this was all simply jest as could be told from the melodramatic tones in which Alva spoke. Then again, maybe the reward was being used to pay for said fancy hotel." "But you mentioned this Lucy person.. Is this the same person you were talking about the first time?" she asked, finally broaching that subject. She had wanted to bring it up during dinner but with that statement, continuing to 'ignore' that matter would just get awkward.

28. - Top - End - #568

[RIOT!]

Shotput snorts in derision.

"The boss wouldn't come here personally to deal with trash like you."

"If we're trash then what does that make you clowns?" Horsetail replies sardonically.

That earns her a glare.

"You keep laughing, glue factory, and I'll make you regret it."

"Bold words from someone hanging around like a bunch of sour grapes," she retorts, giving her tail a snap for emphasis.

"Whatever. You aren't getting anything out of me."

Seems like Shotput doesn't want to be very helpful.

[Cormorant House]

"Yeah I saw that. Weird city just... keeps going..." Magdalene mutters.

But then what's this?

Pizza arriving!

Glorious!

"Oh sweet, food's here,"
    Magdalene says, perking up instantly. Apparently feeding her is an easy way to keep her happy.

As soon as she's got the pizza box she'll begin eating ravenously. Ever seen a group of dogs wolfing down food as quickly as they can lest some other dog get some of theirs? That's basically how it goes with Magdalene. She doesn't eat like she enjoys it. She eats like she could drop dead from starvation at any moment.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Riot

"Okay then. No more miss nice hero." Jade reels back her arm to punch Shotput across the jaw. She's stronger than she looks, although not superhumanly so. "How much more do I need to do before you talk?" She prepares to punch again.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #570
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Kraken Open A Book]

"Okay that's great and all, I'm sure you're really important somewhere, but in libraries you're supposed to stay quiet. Especially this one. I don't want to upset the Librarian since he already doesn't like me," Zee says, providing a bit of additional information on the situation.

What was that?

Was that shambling?

Zee is pretty sure she heard shambling from somewhere nearby.

Or maybe at least trundling.

Either way, not a good sign on the noise front.

"Look, if he shows up mad then you two are on your own. I don't want to get hit with a rake," Zee says, glancing around nervously.
    [Kraken Open a Book]

Ah. Of course. This peasant lady is being disrespectful to Suzie because she fears what she wrongly believes to be a more powerful entity. An all-too-common mistake people make now that Suzie is stuck in this feeble form. But make no mistake, she is still great and terrible and all should fear her!

But what manner of evil creature is this librarian? And this rake-servant of his, too...

No, this is no time to doubt herself!

"Hah! Foolish person, I fear no Librarian or Rake, no matter what manner of foul guardians of this temple of knowledge they may be! None compare to me!" She declares, boastfully. And loudly.

"Minion! Gather up these tomes of forbidden knowledge at once!" She says, pointing a tentacle at roughly fifty or so books that she seems to have set aside (surely Marina can carry a mere fifty books, right? "We shall claim our prize and leave and none shall stop us!"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.