New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

Default What's Up Buttercup?

Sapphira raises her arm and a wall of stone erupts from beneath the mud, blocking the projectile. The Archfiend leaps onto the top of the wall effortlessly. "Oh, you poor thing. I don't want to fight you. I want to free you. To heal you. It hurts less if you don't struggle. Just like getting a shot." But she sees her opportunity. She extends mental senses (no sense in missing again, this should give her psychic attacks perfect accuracy) and points at the two struggling Buttercups. "You've got a fire in you. If you give yourself up, I'll let them go."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 70: Surprisingly Pleasant

[Vs. Beth]

Well! This one sure is giving Beth a couple of things to think about. "Whoa, you feel that way too? I was worried I was the only one, haha! But, um, yeah, you should keep your hammer! I need my bat for softball and stuff anyway."

Getting the tiny net around the bat turns out to be a pain, but they can at least pull it into the shallow end? Beth can then just hop in and pull it out without getting the phone wet in her bag.

"Got it! Zowie, we should catch up! I wonder what's gonna happen when they summon Mama Buttercup..."

She gets the feeling that her new friend will readily volunteer this information. As they move on, Beth checks her phone.

Spoiler: Pesterlog
    Show
    BG: hey sis
    BG: can you still put algernon in the dimensional box
    BG: I need him to help kill a god real quick

Somewhere outside of inside, a woman resembling a softer pre-transformed Beth in a white coat lies on her back in a pile of trash cans.

Spoiler: Pesterlog
    Show
    LP: What? No!
    LP: For at least three different reasons?
    BG: OK thanks
    BG: hopefully it won't come to that anyway

3. - Top - End - #753
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [What's Up, Buttercup?]

Fay

"Is that why you all look alike? You're in costumes?" She muses.

This berry thing seems pretty straightforward though.
    "You carve the 'pumpkin' to look like a face."
    "Why?"

That said, Fay takes the pumpkin in their hands and quickly jabs it a pair of eyeholes with their tentacle spikes.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Default What's Up, Buttercup?

Huh. Creating a magical weald? More room for Faeries? That didn't actually sound too bad...

"Well, Marsyas, if it puts my mind at ease, perhaps only a little. I would not mind if they expand the forest a bit. What troubles me is what they are doing to mortals, however. Out there," she just points in some direction vaguely, "they talk to someone for only a moment, and that person becomes another Buttercup. It seems they are erasing identities and spreading faster than a plague. They.. they could even turn me into Buttercup.."

Solstice begins to untie the knot on her silk belt, seeming about to literally disrobe.

"You would not want that, would you Marsyas? Or worse yet, what if Marsyas was a Buttercup instead? I would not be dancing with such a handsome fellow..."

Solstice actually was planning on stripping, though. Not only to entice this satyr more, but she'd stand out less in the crowd of dancers. ALSO! He'd probably keep wanting to push for her to do that anyway. It would be best to leave her stuff with the three Buttercups she could trust rather than risk it having torn off, lost, or tossed into the fire.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Obsidian

"Yeah! It was fun!" Obsidian says, agreeing. She lies down and spreads her wings out over the flowers. "Almost like flying, but a lot easier." Then, she claims, "The reason why I'm so good at frolicking is because it just comes naturally to dragons. Lots of things come naturally to us, which is why we're so good at everything."

The dragon stands up.
    To be honest, she's not that hungry, especially not for things that are mostly just filling, so she doesn't really see a need to stick around with warrior-gardener Buttercup. She doesn't really follow what the two of them are talking about, but one of them compliments Obsidian and then they both sound pretty happy and energetic so it doesn't matter what they're talking about. "I'm okay with making more friends," she says, "because making friends is a very important job. Not just anybody can do it."

Remembering how much longer Buttercup's legs are than Obsidian's (as a dragon), she morphs back to humanlike form and then flips the hood back down again. Then, she stands again - since she was on all four and now needs to get back up to two legs.

She follows after the first Buttercup, but before leaving, turns back to the second one and waves. "Bye, Mister Cup!" she says. Then, corrects herself: "Or, um, sorry. Missus Cup. Miss Cup? Nah, Mister Cup is easier. Bye!"

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June

Yes, it is really misfortune. June's been doing her best (and failing) to avoid all this sort of stuff ever since she came here, and it's only a miracle that she doesn't have a foxmask on, or a mind-controlling wizard hand, or demon whatevers.

Minerva obviously doesn't notice that there's a pandemic going around. How could he? He's never seen a pandemic like this before.
    He just thinks this is a 'hood or something.

He doesn't immediately answer the shop's deer-person. After all, buttercup is a pretty unusual nickname and people usually only use it in a mocking tone, in his experience. He just keeps on looking at the loom.
    Eventually, though, he realizes that he's the one being talked to. After all, the person's still there and nobody else is responding, right?
    He glances over at the Buttercup.
    Also, he's wearing a dress so it'd make sense why someone would call him by that nickname.

He blinks a couple times, just to make sure. "Oh! Um. Yeah. They do?" Minerva glances back in to the shop, looking past the loom, trying to see the yarn. "I've been wondering. Not everyone can see the same kinds of colors, right? Like, y'know, butterflies can see a bunch of different colors, and so on." Turning back to the Buttercup, he asks his question: "Do the different yarns take that into account? Is there, like, a detailed chart like they have at paint shops? Or do you have to buy specialty threads to tell what colors they come out as to other people?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Nightclub]

Unfortunately, they don't switch to a slow song next.
    Instead, their next song really ramps up about fifteen seconds in to it, being extremely loud and fast and energetic.
    It's because it's their last song for the night, before they pack up and the next band comes in.

The benefit is that it's now too loud to have a proper conversation AND have personal space. And so, Tiffany has to move even closer with her head practically by his ear, to be heard.

"Oh! I see!" she shouts. "How far do you live from here?"
    [Nightclub]

"Not very far! I live alone, and it's here..." Ted begins to describe a place not too far from their current location, a place that's more of a solitary building than an apartment complex. "I'll soon be an actual adult by elf standards, so this is practice." He explains, in case she somehow stops to wonder why his place is so solitary.

But then she's focused on the coolness of learning guitar anyway, this is an elf with weird customs, and there's less chance of being disturbed should she want to try and 'encourage' him further...
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

Lost & Found

Well, the lizardperson doesn't insist, so Butler can leave without issue. He's returned the box to its owner, and done his good deed to the day.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #758
    Barbarian in the Playground

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Sapphira

*THUNK!*

That spear really did a number on the wall. Nearly pierced all the way through it! And now the spear is growing vines into the stone, aiming to crack it apart like roots tear up a sidewalk.

Just in extreme fast motion.

Suffice to say getting hit with one of those eldritch javelins wouldn't be healthy.

Buttercup gives Sapphira a look of confusion. "Free me? Cure me? From WHAT? From being happy? From avoiding hell? I've met meanies like you! You're the kind of meany that shows up making promises!"

She makes the MOST mock-distressed looking face.

"Oh no my home is overrun with meanies and my sword broke! I would give anything for a sword," Buttercup says, faux worry in her tone. It's pretty clear that she's recounting something here, something from her past in that impossible time when she was and wasn't Buttercup. Then she twists her face into the most sinister visage a Buttercup can muster and hisses through her teeth. "Aaaaaaanything?"

Then she holds out her other free hand, a wood-and-vine-and-eldritch magic sabre growing into her grip. Her spear is held at the ready to throw, the sword at the ready to fight.

"I know all about meanies like you! I-"

Sapphira makes her offer.

Buttercup looks conflicted.

She glances back at all her terrified friends. She glances at the obvious Arch-Devil. What ELSE could she be? She could damn her soul again, a fate she escaped less than an hour ago, but... if that meant her friends were safe wouldn't that be worth it? Sapphira can likely see the gears turning in Buttercup's head. Sure, the gears are pretty flowers covered in sparkles but they're gears none the less.

One soul.

For how many safe?

That seems like easy math, even for Buttercup.

She begins to open her mouth, her guard dropping slightly, when suddenly her left ear twitches. Twitches then inclines itself, her eyes flicking to the side, her brow furrowed in thought. All the tells of someone who's being whispered to.

"Night Terror? No she's some kind of Archfiend," Buttercup says aloud to no one. "What Oath? Um... okay?"

Buttercup points her spear at Sapphira again. "You need to swear the Oath, otherwise I'm not supposed to believe you!"

Hey no fair no coaching! She was totally going to take the deal!

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Beth

"No, I think there are others," Buttercup explains. "Sometimes I think maybe the other Buttercups are worried about me since I don't make many friends named Buttercup."

She trots along with Beth, hooves silent on the soft carpet. Something about walking these motel halls feels... surreal. More so than usual. Liminal spaces are the natural abode of fae and wowie are there ever lots of fae in this one today. Somehow the doors and hallways look twisted in on themselves, looming and curving as if they were reflected in fun-house mirrors. The stillness is unsettling.

Buttercup picks up her hammer very carefully by its rubberized handle. Touching the iron part hurts.

"It felt weird to me, Naming people Buttercup. They always seemed so happy afterward but..." Buttercup explains, looking... maybe ashamed? To be admitting this? "Well, I tried asking some friends if they wanted to be Buttercup first. So long as I was holding the hammer I could do that. But if I put the hammer down I couldn't. They were mostly confused? So I explained what being Buttercup was like! How being Buttercup is SUPER fun and just the greatest! You know?"

Surely Beth knows since she's Buttercup.

"Then they looked around and saw all the Buttercups and KNEW. Then some of them got scared. Some got angry. One tried to hurt me, but I ran away."

Buttercup looks over at Beth, her face marked with concern.

"Do... do you think...? What if WE'RE the meanies?"

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Fay

"Huh...?" Buttercup mutters, glancing out at all the Buttercups frolicking around. "No? I guess some of them are wearing costumes. She's dressed like a ghost."

Buttercup points at Buttercup, who's hopping past in a sheet phantom outfit.

A true classic!

"We look similar because we're all Buttercup!"

There! Mystery solved.

Buttercup laughs when the tentacles poke holes into the pumpkin.

"No no, there's another part we have to do first. Wait here!"
    she says before hurring off inside. She returns a short time later with a pumpkin carving knife. "First we need to cup the top off and scoop out all the seeds," Buttercup explains as she begins sawing at the top of the pumpkin. "You have to be REALLY careful with the knife since it's made of iron and it hurts if it touches you."

That is obviously a problem everyone has to deal with.

[What's Up, Marsays?]

Solstice

More room for faeries isn't a bad idea when you're busy converting a large portion of a neighborhood's population into faeries.

Would you just put all these Buttercups in buildings made of dead trees, concrete, and steel? That sounds pretty gross.

"Nah nah, it isn't like that," Marsays laughs as he watches Solstice take off the belt with anticipation. "Buttercup's a mask. Like the ones hypocrites wear, right? Put on the mask, play the part, but the hypocrite is still under there. I'm no expert on Buttercups, aside from a certain expertise on their exquisitely fine behinds, but I know for SURE the old mortals are still under there. They get better at playing the part but they gotta practice, you get me? Eventually they make the role their own. They only seem the same since they ain't got the experience yet with all the lines and dance steps. It's like a newbie dictating straight off the script."

He looks a bit concerned when Solstice admits that she might be a valid Buttercup target.

"Huh? It shouldn't work like that. You're fae, just not Dreamlands fae. Unless you were traded from a cradle? Maybe that makes a difference?" Marsays says with a shrug. "But between you and me? I'm thinking this rave will make you an honorary Dreamlander. Probably won't have to worry about that once the dance is done. Speaking of, it looks like one of your tragically shirt-wearing friends is here."

Sure enough! It's Aries.

"I could hold onto someone's robe in case she wanted to take it off for the dance," Aries says, holding out her arms. "And my sisters and I talked to a few other Buttercups. We have an idea for a game."

Oooh, scheming.

"WILD! You weren't kidding about the Naming Geas thing," Marsays laughs. "And your Buttercup friends thought up a way around it? That's double-wild. What's up with the mask, though? She's only got a third of one."

He flashes a winning smile at Aries. "Hey babe, why don't you ditch the rags and join the rave? I've got a bro who would love to dance behind you, if you get my drift. Real fun time for everyone. All that eldritch magic in the air might even fix that mask for you."

Aries shifts uncomfortably. Solstice can probably see that she really wants to say yes, but really REALLY doesn't want to say yes.

"Um... no... I don't think that's a good idea. I need to hold my friend Solstice's robes so they don't get dirty," she informs Marsays.

The satyr shrugs. "Your loss, babe."

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Obsidian

Well of course dragons are really good at everything.

They're pretty much the coolest what else would they be?

BAD at this?

Pff.

As if.

"Bye Obsidian! Bye Buttercup!" Mister Cup calls after them.

Then they're off! Buttercup bouncing and Obsidian probably running. Every now and again Buttercup will glance back at Obsidian and adjust her pace. She doesn't want her friend to fall behind and feel like she's slow.

"Oh I'm so excited! Making friends is SO MUCH FUN!" Buttercup says, waving at another pair of Buttercups who are bouncing in the opposite direction. Both of them have children riding on their backs who are whooping with excitement. Apparently it's a race! Honestly the children who are out seem to be having a great time! It's like all the grownups got SUPER NICE and just want to play with them now! What more could a child ask for?

Well.

They could ask for a brownie sundae.

But even Buttercups know that children need to eat healthy food and not gorge themselves on sweets. They're responsible avatars of child-like wonder and joy!

Buttercup will stop and a cheese shop next, since she spies several people in there who are potential friends. One Buttercup goes in, three Buttercups come out. And one stays behind! Since she makes cheese and doesn't want to leave her cheese shop unattended. You would think making cheese wouldn't be very fun, but Buttercup can make ANYTHING a fun game! It's her best magical super power.

"Wowie this day is the best! There are so many friends named Buttercup to make!"
    Buttercup gushes. Then she smiles at Obsidian. "Oh hey Obsidian do you have any friends I should meet? You've met a bunch of my friends I would LOVE to meet some of yours!"

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June

Not the shop's deer person.

Buttercup just likes buying her yarn from here. It's really great yarn.

And she's loving her new saddlebags, too. She really can't figure out why she didn't get something like this for herself earlier. Way easier than just carrying shopping bags everywhere.

As for the yarn? It is, in fact, readily visible. There are all sorts of shelves with little square cubbies in them, each holding a different color of yarn. The yarn seems to be arranged MOSTLY in a sensible fashion, with the outer wall forming a great big color wheel while the smaller island shelves hold earth tones, neutral colors, and pastels. There are also a few shelves that seem like they're just chaotic jumbles of color with no real reason to them.

Regardless!

Buttercup gives a gasp!

"Oh wowie zowie! I hadn't ever thought of that before, Buttercup!" she says breathlessly. "What if they have yarn that's different colors in ultraviolet or infrared? I never asked about that before! Come on! We should go find out!"

She's practically dancing in place now, her little hooves clacking against the sidewalk. She takes a few tentative steps toward the shop, waiting to see if her new friend Buttercup will follow her.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Troll in the Playground

"Intriguing. You have some... Experience." Evidently this Buttercup's encountered beings like Sapphira before. "I am no mere peddler of cursed swords. But enough of that. If you know what I am, you know I do not know what Oath you mean." She spreads her arms wide. "I want to free you from being someone other than yourself. Release you to create your own destiny. I do not force the ones I've touched into my service, unlike your current master. If you wish me to swear, I will swear. By stars above and seas below, if you surrender yourself to me, I will not touch your friends, not with mind, nor magic, nor arms, nor flesh." That sure is an official-sounding oath.

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

"A mask? And you say they only have one third of a mask? Is that something you can sense or see somehow?" Solstice asks as she removes her sandals and satchel, handing them to Aries.

"I am no expert on these Buttercups either. And perhaps you are right about them all seeming the same because they are new. But..." she looks over to Aries pointing. "You can ask Aries if you like. He and the other two.. said they were three siblings sharing one body. They are lucidly aware of what is going on and are uncomfortable with it. I do not think they like being Buttercup. If it is a mask, it was a mask forced upon them by deception. And now they cannot take it off even if that is their desire. That is the problem. I think most mortals who know what is going on want nothing to do with it. And those who are only partially turned and still have their wits also want to remove it."

Solstice sighs, slipping out of her robe, and folds it nicely, handing it to Aries. There was nothing else worn under the robes. Solstice was starting to feel a bit nervous about this and slight blush was creeping across her cheeks. But a promise was a promise! Well, except for the disrobing part. Actually Solstice never promised that. Might as well be doing this right, though.

"I do not think I want to stop this dance," Solstice admitted to Aries. "I am not sure if it even should be stopped..."

She turned to Marsyas and says, "If you have any idea where these Buttercups came from or who they answer to, I would be most grateful. Help me enough, and we will be dancing for quite a while, or maybe even visiting more of these.. 'raves'." She smiles shyly to the satyr and takes one of his hands, as he presumably leads Solstice into the throng of dancing, frolicking Fae.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-10-03 at 11:55 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

[What’s up, Buttercup?]

Heather did, in fact, get all of that. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t something far more interesting.
    ”Ooh, so you’re a sorcerer? Is that why you have those super cute ears?”
    There are probably more serious things to discuss.

But they really are adorable.

Meanwhile!

Hector shakes his head. The Dark type really took over there.
    He has to be careful. He’s still based on a barghest. If he doesn’t watch himself people will think he’s a total Edgelord.
    But anyway, fighting is over so he can reform his illusory self. Its nature allows him to pick things up with it, so he carries as many bones as he can out of the glade. Hopefully he’ll find someone to give them to. Hendricks still hasn’t shown.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

12. - Top - End - #762

[Nightclub]

"Huh!" Tiffany says. "I see."

She laughs: "That's weird. You live so close but haven't been here before. Guess someone must have told you about it, then."

The next band, the one that most everyone has been waiting for, is still setting up. The excitement in the air is kind-of palpable.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Obsidian

"Yeah! It is pretty fun," Obsidian has to admit, as she does her best to keep up. She makes sure to be going pretty fast because she doesn't want to be slow.

"Um! I have lots of friends!" she asserts. "I know a bunch of zombies. I mean, they're not really my friends, but they taste really good and they do what I say sometimes. And! And I met some ponies once! Plus, there's this other dragon. She gave me a tree and works at a bar. Really friendly, I think. I didn't even know she was a dragon until she started looking like one to carry a pig better."

Okay, to be honest, she doesn't really have any friends. But that's okay, that just means she quickly considers anyone she meets to be her friend.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June

Huh, there's not really anything really obvious about having different kinds of colors or whatever. "Maybe you'd have to go to a specialty shop?" he says to himself. Maybe June would be better at finding this out, but she's busy right now. That's something else to consider. Since he's here, though, he can ask about, definitely.

"Yeah, you're right," Miner-Buttercup says. "Asking is probably the fastest way to find out." He goes in, following Buttercup in to the shop.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

13. - Top - End - #763

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Sapphira

"I LIKE who I am, it's REALLY fun! Being Buttercup is the BEST!" Buttercup shoots back. Of course, all the Buttercups say this when they're Buttercup. But once they aren't Buttercup? Some will say it was like a constant high. Or like an enjoyable dream. Occasionally like a glitter-choked nightmare. But most are relieved to stop being Buttercup. Of course, Sapphira's sample size is pretty small so far.

And then?

Sapphira begins to swear.

Buttercup perks up at this, her ears erect and her eyes searching. The sort of downcast look of a person waiting for a feeling.

That feeling of binding.

This Buttercup, whoever she was before, has obviously made pacts with infernal beings in the past. She remembers clearly what it feels like when binding words are spoken. And that is definitely NOT what just transpired. That wasn't a contract, that was an empty promise of some kind. Buttercup is trying really hard to focus on the words. She wouldn't do anything bad to her friends... to her friends. She likes her friends they're fun! Like when they found that nice Buttercup with the paints and they were painting their hooves and-

No!

Focus Buttercup!

This is important!

Devil words are always twisty. They always get what they want no matter what you do. And Buttercup really isn't feeling up to the mental task of navigating labyrinths of infernal legalese looking for that hellish loophole. She doesn't feel dumb. She just feels like... like it's hard to stay on track.

Either way, that wasn't a real oath. So the devil is definitely up to something.

"Do I look stupid to you?" Buttercup yells defiantly, trying to look as brave as she can.

Then a butterfly lands on her nose.

She begins giggling uncontrollably.

It tickles! Its little feet whisking at her skin.

Buttercup needs to take a few seconds to regain her composure once the colorful insect flies away. She smiles sheepishly, her ears drooping a bit.

"Wowie, ah, hehe... maybe don't answer that question?"

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Solstice

Aries politely takes the sandals, holding them with gentle care. She's gotten the distinct impression that this clothing is very important to Solstice and she wants her nice Not-Buttercup friend to be happy.

"See it? Nah, just sort of know. Y'know?" Marsays replies in a fashion that's mostly not helpful. Then as Solstice says her part the satyr looks thoughtful. He glances over at Aries, who fidgets a bit under his smokin' hot gaze.

"Umm... I like being Buttercup. It feels nice and its fun and I can go my own pace," Aries admits. "I know Drakania really enjoys having her own body. She always felt like she was following us and we were going too slow for her. I think Leona feels like she can protect us better since we're not all in harms way at the same time. She doesn't like all the bouncing and giggling, though."

Aries bounces and giggles, by way of demonstration.

In the distance Leona glowers at her.

"See? Sounds like she likes it to me, babe. Maybe-"

"I'm not done," Aries interrupts. She fidgets a bit more, adjusting Solstice's robes. Smoothing them out to take her focus off of the satyr's eyes roving over her. "I don't think it's nice that people are being tricked into being Buttercup. It wasn't nice that WE were tricked, even if we're happier now. Umm... whoever is going to be the spirit of the weald... could it be someone like me who's only part of a Buttercup?"

Marsays rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "Uh... I dunno, babe. Probably not? I don't think the other Buttercups trust you three that much. Bad vibes."

Aries glances first at the fire, then back at her two sisters. "Alright. We'll join the dance too, then," she says as she squeezes her eyes shut and seems to focus hard. "And, umm... Solstice I don't think we're going to stop the dance. We have an idea for a game when it's over."

Did...

Did she just fight her way through the Naming Geas? Then without another word she turns and trots off to speak with her siblings in hushed tones near the edge of the grove.

Marsays whistles, admiring Aries' butt the whole time she's walking away.

From where Solstice is standing she'll be able to make out some heated debate. Lots of arm waving from Leona. Some sort of silly dance from Drakania. Though that's not surprising. She can't ever seem to hold still. Aries is calm and measured the whole time. Eventually they seem to reach a consensus. Solstice's clothing is carefully placed atop a large, flat stone at the edge of the grove. Then the trio of siblings approach the bonfire, stripping off their tops and casting them into the flames. With that act, the other Buttercups welcome them into the circle.

"Babe, if you've still got it in you to go to another Wyld Dance after this one I would be stoked to have you as a dance partner," Marsays replies, his tone low and smokey.

The Wyld Dancer thrums with the sound of crackling flames, stomping feet, jubilant voices, and reedy pipes.

Higher, ever higher, the bonfire rises.

One Revelry Later...

The bonfire has risen to its highest, pulsing with the eldritch power of spring. Rampant, vibrant, bursting with potential for growth. This is it! They just need to select a gaiad to seed the land and expand the little grove into a full-fledged magic-filled weald. One voice rises above the others in a shout.

"HEEEEEEEEY BUTTERCUPS! How were we going to pick who's going to be the seed?"

A few seconds of stunned silence follows. Then whispers. Then murmuring. They knew SOMEONE had to be the seed and they KNEW they were supposed to come here, but they hadn't really planned things out this far. What were they going to do!?

"OOOOOO! I know!" comes the voice of the same clever, cunning Buttercup again. "We can play a GAME! WHOEVER wins gets to be the weald-seed! It'll be FUN and it'll be FAIR! We can play SOLSTICE SAYS!"

More murmuring. Is this a good plan? What's Solstice Says?

"Listen up Buttercups!" comes the voice of a bold, charismatic sounding Buttercup. Her dauntless proclamation carries through the crowd, drawing the ear and commanding attention. "This is a great idea. We're doing it. Fun, fair, AND it solves our problem."

The murmurs grow. It sounds like more and more Buttercups are liking this idea.

"I like the idea, too,"
    speaks up a third Buttercup, her voice soft and demure and yet so clearly heard even above the din of the crowd. "Solstice Says is a nice game. And it's pretty hard, too. It means only the wisest-"
    "-or the boldest-"
    "-or the cleverest Buttercup will win! NOW!" with all the speed of a striking viper, Buttercup leaps up onto one of the monolithic stones ringing the bonfire. She hangs onto the rock with one hand, shielding her eyes with the other as she peers out over the crowd. She's making quite the show of searching. The other Buttercups are loving the act. "We just need a Solstice! Are there any Solstices in the crowd tonight?"

At some point a Buttercup has slipped up along side Solstice. She gently, softly, quietly whispers into her ear how the game works.

A game of careful listening and self restraint.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Heather and Hector

Beatrice sighs.

"Yes that is the source of my mutation," she confirms. "One of my ancestors was exposed to significant Dreamheart influence. None of my siblings had them, not did either of my parents. It took a great deal of digging to determine where in my family tree the influence occurred."

A few seconds pass.

Then a few more.

"However I will neither confirm nor deny the cuteness, super or otherwise, of my ears. Unusual extremities are the, ah, most common manifestation of sorcerous blood."

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Does that... does that mean Beatrice's home world has cat girls and some jerks hate them for it?

Oh thank the King here comes Hector with an armful of human bones. Beatrice can talk about something less weird and awkward now.

"I see your mission was successful, Hector," Beatrice observes, adjusting her glasses. "Excellent. That means we have the most difficult component to acquire for the Ceremony of Interdiction. Where, ah, is Hendricks?"

That's a concerning question.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Obsidian

"A dragon at a bar who carries pigs?" Buttercup asks.

Does she know about any dragons at bars who carry pigs?

She's pretty sure she hasn't ever met one. Bar-dragons would be pretty distinctive.

Or maybe not?

It sounds like this one can look like different things. Maybe you could meet her walking down the street and you wouldn't ever even know that she was a dragon!

"Wowie, it sure would be neat to meet another dragon! You're the only dragon I've ever met, Obsidian. If all dragons are as cool as you then-"

Then?

Then there is a THWACK noise followed by a THUNK noise followed by a Buttercup crying in pain noise as she topples over.

A crossbow bolt just lodged itself in the shoulder of her left front leg. The fur and flesh around the wound is rapidly turning black and withering away. Tears welling up in her eyes, she tries to pull the bolt out but her hands sizzle as if she had just touched a hot stove.

The shaft is made of steel.

Across the street, standing on a balcony, is an elf and a human. The human is holding a crossbow. Or more specifically, he's placing the nose of the crossbow on the floor, putting his foot through the loop at the end, and cranking back the tension.

"Do you think you killed her?" asks the elf.
    "No, pretty sure I just legged her," replies the human.

They're both dressed in very Adventurer looking outfits. Or... maybe even dragon slayer looking outfits! Do those look the same? How do you tell the difference?

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June

The shop is quite nice, all things considered. It has all the stuff one might expect in a store that sells yarn. Things for knitting. Things for crocheting. Things for making fingers on gloves. Looms like the one in the window (both old fashioned and modern) and even some spinning wheels for turning wool INTO yarn! It looks like there's a section for felt work as well! As a matter of fact, it appears as though there's another Buttercup who works here! But obviously not the same Buttercup that would be crazy. She's busy running a curry comb through her fur and collecting the fluff that comes loose. She's giggling like an idiot while her coworker (also Buttercup) watches incredulously.

"Oh zowie. Are you really going to do this? You're really going to try to make a felt animal with your own fur?" Buttercup asks, her arms crossed.

"Yeah! It'll be super cute AND fun!" Buttercup insists.

Velandi, the elderly elf who owns the store, rolls her eyes at her employees. Buttercup seemed even more flighty than she usually was, which was saying something. At least Buttercup was still responsible. She offers a small wave to Buttercup and her friend when the walk into the store. Buttercup was a regular and had left nary minutes before. It wasn't shocking that she was trying to introduce someone new to the wonderful world of yarn.

Buttercup, meanwhile, will lead her newest friend named Buttercup right up to that display of oddly colored, clashing yarn. "Look, Buttercup, you were right!" she says, pulling out one of the balls of yarn and holding it out for Minerva to examine. "It says on the sticker this one is extra bright to people who see in ultraviolet. I wonder what seeing in ultraviolet is like?"

"Makes flowers look more colorful, mostly," Velandi says from the back of the store. "Insects really like those colors. Birds, too. And of course elves. There aren't many elves who like yarn, though. Which is a shame. Lots of time on our hands to knit, if you ask me."

14. - Top - End - #764

What's up Buttercup

Nigel is pretty sure that he should not have left his home. He had a lovely little nest in which to ride out the rest of this high, he had a kaleidoscope with him, his phone was off so he couldn't be contacted, all in all it was shaping up to be a nice evening. Here he is though, struggling to maintain a facade of normalcy as he stands in the chips aisle at his local supermarket staring at how the colours on the bags seem to bleed into each other. There are some horses here too? Noone else seems concerned with them so probably they are just hallucinations. Ignore those, focus on the chips. If you can just pick one up then you can leave and go back home to your nest.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

15. - Top - End - #765

[What's Up Buttercup?]
    Nigel

"Hey Buttercup, are you okay?" the chips ask Nigel.

Is he?

Is he really a flower?

Is he a flower that is dreaming of being a man?

Can he handle that question right now?

How did the chips become so wise?

"Umm... over here..."

Wait, maybe it isn't chips talking.

It's that tangle of sticks, weeds, little yellow flowers, bones, fizzling light, and silvery strands like spider webs draped in dew. Those lights are buzzing around in there like a can of freshly shaken bees.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, what a dance! The energy was amazing. And not just from the dancers themselves, no, but that supernatural fire. The warm glow from the eldritch fires of Spring was very pleasant. Of course Solstice would find this so, being more aligned with Summer. Even her name had meaning that related to the cusp of Spring, signifying the longest of days and official transition into Summer.

Solstice also had some fun! Of course, those pesky satyrs and their friends probably got in some unwanted touches. But overall, the dance was a new, exciting experience! Why didn't Solstice's mother ever bring her to do these sorts of things? Did she just not like Wyld Fae much? Or was the activity too.. unproductive? Maybe it was the fact that nobody was wearing clothes. Hmm.

Well now that it was over, Solstice did find herself a bit weary. Marsays wasn't kidding! And now one of those Buttercups had jumped up on a rock shouting about a game called Solstice Says. Wait, what? Oh.. this must have been the game the three were talking about.

Another Buttercup (maybe Aries?) whispered the rules. Oh.. Solstice thought she heard of this game before.

Solstice looked around briefly before assuming she may have only been the one that took up the name Solstice. "Uhm.. I go by the name, Solstice," she says, gingerly stepping forward and raising a hand high in the air.

She looks around uncertainly. "Does anyone else know how to play this game?"

17. - Top - End - #767

[What's Up Buttercup?]

Oh god. They're talking now. Stay very still and try to find one that isn't alive.

Nigel takes a step forwards and starts gently patting each bag of chips. I'm so sorry. He says under his breath to them, before Buttercup speaks again. He spins around rapidly, arms splayed across the chips. He will protect his new friends from...

Nigel visibly relaxes. Right, right, hallucinations. This is a good one too. Nigel reaches out to touch the tangle, trying to take a flower. His friends are safe, the chips aren't hallucinating, they probably can't even see this!

So pretty... He says quietly.

Show

18. - Top - End - #768

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Obsidian

Obsidian was beaming and about to respond.

But then, unfortunately, the crossbolt happens. It, of course, suddenly reminds Obsidian of certain things that have happened. Almost panicking, she looks at the bolt and the wound and the withering and everything. What can she even do? Should she just run? But...but...but...
    But...Obsidian isn't a hatchling anymore.

She reaches down to grab the bolt. It's probably poisoned, she figures, so taking it out is definitely the right move. She then imbues it with darkness - causing the area (not large enough to cover the entire street, but definitely large enough to reach both sides of the road) with darkness, like it's night. Yeah, this is the right move. It's harder for them to shoot things when it's harder to see.
    It makes it dark enough for one of the nearby streetlights to flicker on.

The teenager looks around, trying to find who shot that poisoned thing. There! Two people! One with the crossbow! He's definitely the one who did this.

Obsidian growls and starts running towards them. She's holding the bolt, to take the darkness with her. Once she's gained enough speed, she jumps and morphs into a black dragon again, with the bolt in her claw, flying in the air.

Of course, her first priority is to stop the crossbow. So she immediately tries to crash into him and bite the forearm that's holding the crossbow.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June

Oh, this looks pretty neat from in here!
    And...
    making felt with your own fur? Minerva(?) thinks that's a little...weird. But...she supposes it makes sense? maybe?

She waves at the shop owner, but goes up to the yarn. "Huh. That makes sense," she says. She looks at the yarn balls. "It would be kind-of neat to be able to see like that."

While looking at what the yarn stickers say and comparing them, she makes the comment, "By the way, what's up with the weird pet name habit?" she asks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Sapphira shakes her head at the Buttercup. "You have to say those words. You're a puppet, dancing on strings you cannot see." She's then asked if Buttercup looks stupid to her. "Yes, you do. Whoever is controlling you has made you a ditz, but you were clearly quite clever before. Very well. II will not touch your friends, with mind nor magic nor arms nor flesh. SO I VOW." Sapphira's last three words are in a different language. A slight tremor runs through the ground and there's the feeling of binding Buttercup was looking for. Sapphira prepares the cure to use on that Buttercup the moment she accepts the deal.

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #770

Fay

"There is simply a lot of you then?"
    Fay does wait, lacking explanation, although it would be easy enough to cut the top off the pumpkin without a knife.

Then a human and a Buttercup walk around the corner.
    And then the two Buttercups keep frolicking on past the stalker.

At this point, they notice, that there's something wrong with their thinking. The same thing that's wrong when people catch a glimpse of Fay.
    They're replacing people. They're distorting everyone's perceptions. That's a 2nd and 3rd strike against Buttercups.

Then the Buttercup is back.
    Buttercup says that they're hurt by touching iron.
    In the hive's experience, things that are hurt by iron are bad. Bad and unwholesome. This is a fourth strike. And four strikes is just too many.
    "I understand. This way you can put things inside. Let me do it?"
    Fay reaches out towards the carving knife with a hand, but then tries to grab not the knife, but the wrist of the hand that's holding the knife. At the same time, they adjust their visibility. Everyone should have a strong tendency not to see, notice, or think about Fay or any Buttercup in contact with them.

Then the tentacles start trying to poke holes into Buttercup.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-10-04 at 12:05 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

[What's up, Buttercup?]

Heather has lots to say about that, but then Hector comes back.
    "Hi Hector! I'm not Buttercup anymore!" she calls excitedly.
    Hector kind of stares. Clearly this cure ritual did not go as planned.
    But from what Hendricks said, it was unlikely it would go well. Getting a Buttercup to focus seemed pretty hard. He has opinions on this turn of events but this is not the time.
    "Is this enough bones, Beatrice? There was some more but I couldn't carry an entire skeleton.
    Hendricks is...well a black Pooka guided me to the Glade where Buttercup Prime was, but he didn't let Hendricks follow me. I think he might have been making a power move to stop Buttercup's plans, but I guess that doesn't mean he likes Watchers. I'm sure he's fine."
    Hendricks seemed pretty tough.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground

[Vs. Beth]

Beth stares into Buttercup's eyes for a moment, like she's looking for something but she doesn't know what. It's probably for the best that she can't quite put it into words. Before the nervous would-be rebel can take it back, Beth finally says, with more anger, guilt and sarcasm than a typical Buttercup can seem to muster:

"Gee, you think?"

She has to take a breath. "Okay. Whoever is behind this is clearly trying to take over the world, right? If she's already forcing you to do this to people when you don't want to, who knows what she'll make us do when she has everyone under her saccharine hoof." She adjusts her grip on her bat and examines it. "But... if these can keep us from doing her bidding, then we might have a chance. Do you know if there's a hardware store near here?"

She'll steal an iron clamp for every single person in Inside if that's what it'll take.

23. - Top - End - #773

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Solstice

Considering the reputation that satyrs and fauns typically have these ones were positively gentlemanly. Maybe the old stories about them are exaggerating their lasciviousness? They were definitely... persistent. And depending on how someone felt about unsolicited compliments on their appearance maybe a bit creepy. But none of them had done anything violent.

Though if the satyrs back in the Nevernever were more untoward that might explain Solstice's mother's caution.

When Solstice announces herself a ripple of murmurs pass though the crowd.

"Oh she's Solstice."
    "She's pretty."
    "Hello Solstice!"
    "This is going to be so much fun I'm so excited!"

At her question a chaotic chorus of yeses and nos follows.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to explain the rules to the ditzy deer one way or the other.

The other gathered fae, naiads and satyrs, oreads and fauns, pixies and even one lone elf stand back beyond the edge of the circle to watch the fun. The general consensus among the non-Buttercups appears to be that whatever happens it is going to be really funny to watch.

Solstice's three sibling... friends? Acquaintances? Are in that crowd of Buttercups somewhere. Picking them out when they aren't speaking, their distinctive personalities showing through, is nearly impossible though. Just a great big herd of wild fae. If Solstice looks carefully she can probably pick out the fact that the patterns of spots on their cervine lower bodies are all unique, but she might not have been paying much attention to the Buttercup Triplets' spot placement.

[What's Up, Potatochip?]
    Nigel

The chips are grateful that Nigel is such a good friend. There's no doubt about it.

He'll feel a brief sensation of resistance, just like picking a real flower, before there comes a little snap and the yellow blossom comes free in his hand.

It's so tiny.

So perfect.

He could get lost in it, the flower swelling to fill his whole field of vision. He can't be lost, though. He can't.

The chips need him.

"Is he okay?" comes the same voice as another smear of color and vines and glistening gossamer threads slides across the floor next to the first one. They pass through each other, shapes and hues mixing like water-color.

"I think he might be sick," says the voice again. One voice speaking to itself forever and ever. "Are you sick, Buttercup?"

The flower again.

They must be talking to the flower. How could a flower be sick? It is so beautiful.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]

Obsidian

They tried to kill your new friend, Obsidian.

You aren't a hatchling you're a cool dragon go show them what for!

Darkness. Running. Flying.

IMPACT!

Biting!

"GAH! What the hell! Get him off me!" the human yells, trying to pry Obsidian's jaws free. He's got some armor on his arm. It's like trying to bite a robot. Gross.

Obsidian will feel the elf groping at her, trying to pull her free. "Listen I don't know who you are but those things are monsters! They're killing people!"

They aren't though, are they? Obsidian saw it. They're just finding friends named Buttercup. Definitely no one has died, Obsidian would have seen a ghost or something if they had and she's an expert on ghosts.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    June Buttercup

The yarn stickers mostly describes the sort of wool used to make the yarn, the kind of dye used, and a little blurb about the history of A Big Yarn. Which is, of course, the store that Buttercup just walked into. It really is a nice store if she ever decides to try knitting or crocheting or or felt-craft or even just spinning. As she's examining the yarn, Buttercup may notice the sudden growth of cervine ears and hooves. Of spotted fur and flowers in her hair. Of her back legs growing in. It will likely all happening quite quickly. She might feel briefly alarmed by this. Or maybe she won't notice it at all. Or maybe she WILL notice it and wonder where her back legs had been hiding since she's Buttercup and everyone knows that Buttercup has got four legs.

One way or the other, Buttercup looks puzzled.

"Pet name? What do you mean, Buttercup?" she asks.

"She means how you Buttercups call everyone Buttercup. Even if they aren't Buttercup," Velandi clarifies. She had rejected the Name Buttercup and therefore was clearly not Buttercup. The charm exuded by the Buttercups, though, has thus far prevented her from drawing any alarming conclusions from this knowledge. She just has two lovely nymphs named Buttercup who work for her and lots of Buttercups have been visiting today. There isn't anything strange or frightening about that.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Sapphira.

"I'm NOT a puppet! I just... there are things I have to do and ways I have to feel! It's an important part of being Buttercup so we can all be friends!" Buttercup insists.

And then...

Okay yeah.

Wowie she felt that.

She also feels a little whispered push. Everything will be okay.

Buttercup takes a single, shuddering breath, hoping that this doesn't mean her soul is going to hell again.

"O-okay. I accept if you won't do anything to my friends. My soul for their safety," Buttercup says. She drops her weapons, screws her eyes shut, and waits.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Fay

"Oh, sure! It's lots of fun you'll like it," Buttercup says, carefully holding out the knife for her new not-Buttercup friend.

Only to be grabbed by the wrist.

A look of concern and confusion flashes across her face.

"Y-your hurting me. Please let go?"

And then, rather than carving pumpkins, Fay carves Buttercup. That isn't how this holiday is supposed to work, Fay, why are you so bad at this?

Buttercup just kind of... disintegrates into a heap of dry sticks, weeds, and human bones. Fay isn't holding a wrist anymore, she's holding a vaguely forearm-shaped maple branch. It would seem Fay's metal stabby bits make short work of the Buttercups.

The rest of the Buttercups continue about their business as if nothing had happened. Prancing, frolicking, dancing, singing, setting up decorations, doing odd errands, and of COURSE making more friends named Buttercup.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Hector and Heather

Yes.

The ritual DEFINITELY didn't work.

But hey at least Heather isn't Buttercup anymore right?

"Ah, yes, that should be more than sufficient," Beatrice says, giving Heather a sidelong glance as she waves at her brother. "However it is not the only reagent we will require for the Ceremony of Interdiction. Preparations must be made and we must also procure tohu-wah-bohu."

That sounds ominous. Beatrice even ominously adjusts her glasses so they do that bright reflective finish thing. Maybe she's an anime nerd?

"An Icon of the Dreamheart. In case you were unaware. Normally such objects, if one ought to use the 'object' to describe them (or words for that matter), are difficult to acquire. However the Council of Watchers Inside has an artifact vault. I believe they will easily agree that, ah, our situation here in the City is quite dire. It would be disastrous if the Buttercup infection spreads too far and too quickly. The ceremony will prevent them from Naming anyone else for three days, which should prove to be able time to resolve our problems."

She looks thoughtful. "However that doesn't solve the issue of Hendricks. Could you describe to me, precisely, what you did to enter the Enchanted Forest? By what means did you cross over?"

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Beth

Startled, Buttercup takes a few steps back. Her eyes, too, are searching. The gears in her head are turning. Sure they're pretty flowers covered in sparkles and glitter and rainbows, but they're still pretty reasonable gear-analogs.

"You aren't really Buttercup, are you?" she asks.

Her tone is clear here.

That wasn't a question.

She's sure. No Buttercup could say something in such a mean, spiteful way. She's watching that bat, now. There's something about it, something that she hadn't really noticed before.

Why does it smell so sweet?

Why does it smell like maple syrup?

Because it has been used to smash Buttercups open like pinatas.

"P-please don't hurt me," she pleads, her tone dropping and her ears dropping. She glances up and down the hall. They're alone. If she died here no one would notice. "I don't want to do anything mean to anyone, I promise. Big Mama Buttercup doesn't want to take over the world. She just wants everyone to be Buttercup so we'll all be friends. So there won't be anymore meanness or hurting or fighting. She isn't bad. She wants to help. But... I think... maybe she doesn't understand humans?"

24. - Top - End - #774

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    [Sam and Lucy's Room]

"Oh!" Sam looks embarrassed, moving out of Alva's way and ushering her inside. He closes the door behind her.
    Pippin the cat will follow her onto the couch, sitting down next to her expectantly.
    "Don't mind him. He'll come back begging for me if you leave him alone. Now, did you have anything in mind? Flapjacks? Crepes? Gyros? Something that isn't flat?" Sam smiles, showing his little tusks.
    [Sam and Lucy's Room]

Pippin would be getting scratches behind his ears before Sam had a chance to finish his question. Cats were nice and fluffy as long as you respected the sharp bits. She did, however, let out a short laugh at Sam's last question. Rather dramatically leaning on the arm of the couch as she crossed her legs, she took an unsubtly deep breath and asked "I don't know. Do I look like a person who has the word 'flat' in their vocabulary?" she said, wearing a coy smile and batting her eyelashes. It was all play for her but she did absolutely love just blindsiding people with flirting that was about as nuanced as a half-brick in a sock upside one's head. While friends were not immune to her shenanigans, they at least would get the positive end to her mischief. To his credit, she wasn't planning on sending Sam off to have some 'sweet' dreams later while she ransacked his place for goods.

She would, however, let the moment hang just long enough to where Sam might just be on the verge of finding his center again before just adding a little additional 'kick' to keep him off center. "I suppose a chef does have a better trained -ah... Tastebuds than others?" she said, pausing for just long enough to watch his expression before continuing on as if nothing had happened; shifting just slightly to where her 'display' would vanish like so much mist under the morning sun. It was like it was never there. "I would say 'surprise me' but I asked that at a bar once and they mixed milk and something else and it was absolutely the worst. So I say 'I will take the chef's recommendation' and let you work your brand of magic there." she said.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2020-10-04 at 04:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775

Fay

I dunno. A heap of human bones sounds pretty spooky. And if someone died here, that makes it a very authentic Spooktober decoration.

Fay is thinking that was too easy. Is there even blood on their spines? That was like...fighting one of the Strongest's illusionary warriors. Not a good sign at all.
    They set the pumpkin down on top of the heap, and spend a few moments poking at the heap of the debris. Are these the bones of an original victim, animated by some awful magic, with the friendly Buttercup shell spun around them? Or is the debris incidental? They'll have to kill a few more Buttercups to be sure.
    Then a few more moments making a report.
    • Dissapperance of humans-we-had-under-observation is acceptable.
    • Send up hounds and normal stalkers to capture potential targets whose disappearance could be chalked up to Buttercup infection.
    • Put together two squads of countess + iron archers for Buttercup-killing and keep them at the ready if the individual authorities can't handle the infestation.

Fay strolls around for a while, and then picks a Buttercup on her own.
    The plan: put a hand on the fae's shoulder to make her disappear from view, while offering a cheery "What's up, Buttercup?" and then start stabbing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

"You'll give me your soul too?" Sapphira wasn't expecting that, but it's a nice bonus. "I accept those terms." She reaches out with the cure to that Buttercup, changing her from a deer-girl to a sexy demoness (and giving her a short skirt to cover up with). "Do you have a name, dear?" Sapphira is fond of this one. She has spirit and cleverness, and skill with weapons and magic, all of which not even being Buttercup could hide. She could go far in Sapphira's service.

My Nexus characters

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

[Vs. Beth]

...come to think of it, why does it still smell like that after being washed off in the pool? It doesn't really matter, though. Anyone with enough empathy can probably feel that Beth's presence has increased the LOVE in the room.

"I'll say she doesn't," Beth sighs. "Here she had me convinced that you were all already dead, when really your freedom was just a hammer away." ...that came out with more of a double-meaning than intended, but Buttercup can probably intuit what she means from context. Buttercup's explanation means more coming from a conscious person with doubts than from... whatever the real Buttercup would have her be. Hopefully, a real understanding with a murderer will likewise carry more weight than forced adoption by a fey queen.

"Okay. I'm going to go make sure that every Buttercup has a metal thing to hold onto, like you do. Then you can decide what comes next. What do you think?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-10-04 at 05:16 PM.

28. - Top - End - #778

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Fay

Too true, too true.

A creepy looking collapsed effigy that includes actual human bones is quite spooky. It does appear as though the physical core of the Buttercup was the effigy with faerie magic filling in the rest of the details. Though it's hard to guess whether they're the bones of the original person without having seen the original person. If Fay knows anything about human skeletal anatomy these bones belonged to a female. That doesn't really say anything conclusive, though.

Obviously further study is required.

The next Buttercup Fay will find by herself is busy standing on the tipsiest of tiptoes hanging up some bright orange and purple flowers in a basket from a hook. The hook, in turn, is attached to the awning around the outside of a little gazebo where live music gets played sometimes. An ear twitches toward Fay as she approaches, followed by Buttercup turning her head and smiling sweetly.

She's about to open her mouth to reply when she gets mercilessly perforated.

As with the previous Buttercup, this one also disintegrates. As before a ruined effigy is left behind, thought the bones in this one appear to have come from a male.

Curious. Killing a Buttercup isn't that hard. Simply sticking any sort of iron alloy through their body in a location that would normally be vital seems to be sufficient to destroy them. Of course, that would destroy a human too but hey! Who's counting?

[What's Up, Buttercup?]
    Sapphira.

One eye pops open when when Sapphira expresses her surprise. "Wait, I thought you were taking their souls when you AAAAAGGGGGH!"

Zap.

She doesn't just transform this time.

This time the Name is fighting back.

The little yellow flowers in her hair wither and blacken and die, only for more to grow back. Her ears start crumbling into dust only to regrow, creating a tug of war between destruction and creation. Her skin splits and peels away, revealing crime skin below, only for patches of it to fade back to the olive-tan of Buttercup. The cure wins out in the end, though, after a good minute and a half of what looked like absolute agony. The newly minted tiefling is left on her knees, panting.

It takes a few moments after that for her to really become aware of what's going on.

First thing she does?

Cups her (now even more striking) breasts in her hands.

"I thought this would make me a guy again..." she mutters. "Not that I'm complaining. Just... surprised..."

Then she looks up when Sapphira asks her name. "I'm... Buttercu-"

She squeezes her eyes shut and shakes her head. A lone yellow flower that had just sprouted in her hair turns black and crumbles to ash.

"Alex. I'm Alex Faust," she says. "I used to be sworn to Ashmedai, but I'm in your service now, mistress."

She meets Sapphira's gaze, uncowed and unafraid.

"And... my friends? You'll let them go like you promised,"
    she says. That wasn't a request. It's a statement. She knows how these contracts work.

[What's Up, Buttercup?]

Beth

Buttercup looks a little bit worried here.

"N-no we aren't dead. None of us are," she insists. "We're just different. Who told you we were dead?"

Maybe she's misunderstanding that statement?

Certainly possible.

Buttercup thinks about that. "It might be hard. Holding iron things feels gross. I can't use any of my magic when I do it," she explains. "Some Buttercups won't want to do that. They'll want to keep Naming people. I... don't think they should be naming people. But I don't think they deserve to die, either. I don't want ANYONE to be hurt."

29. - Top - End - #779

[What's Up, Potatochip?]

These words... no, the chips wouldn't say that. They know the flower is fine. Oh no what if this is a real person. He shouldn't be here. He had a nest! Now there's two of them. Is this what real people look like now. What if this lasts forever.

Nigel gently reaches back up to the tangle and tries to place the flower back. You can have your buttercup back. He tells the tangle. That will fix everything.

I just need chips. I didn't mean to make it sick. Wait! Wait.... Sick! Oh, I'm a doctor! Nigel tells the tangle of light and nature. There's probably supposed to be a part after that but Nigel isn't really offering any medical diagnoses right now. What he is doing is slowly reaching back with a hand and pawing at the display, before gently lifting a bag of what appear to be "Moroccan Spiced Chicken and Lemon" chips and cradling them. Artisanal.

Show

30. - Top - End - #780
    Troll in the Playground

Sapphira is disturbed by the sudden resistance of the Buttercup to her cure. If they're developing resistance, she needs a way around it. For now, she can just up the aggressiveness of the cure and that should keep the current results consistent, but she's now developing a new version of the cure, one that attacks from a different angle, undermining from the inside out by strengthening the original name with demonic might and allowing it to overthrow Buttercup from within. But externally, she focuses on Alex. The Tiefling woman has exactly as much spunk as she expected. There's the slight wrinkle of her being originally a man, but that's no matter. "It suits you, Alex." If she's not complaining, just surprised, it means that she's either happy with it, fine with it relative to being Buttercup, or wise enough not to argue with Sapphira about it. "A spirited woman like yourself could go far among my followers. Your formal induction can happen after we're done here. For now..." Sapphira waves a hand at Alex and the Tiefling woman should feel fiendish power flood into her. "Your friends, right. Are they your friends?" Sapphira gestures at the two Buttercups still struggling their way out of the mud pit.

My Nexus characters