New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 70: Surprisingly Pleasant

[Red Zone]

Gu takes what they can in order to prove that the vampire was, in fact, a killer. Just in case someone calls the authorities about that body. And he takes the sword because come on, cool sword.
    The two do their best to take the girl back to the creche. Which is still a weird word.

[Plaza Park]

Hector presses his advantage. He gives Litwick no quarter.
    But really, he's just batting it aside across the room with one paw before it can toss that fire anywhere.
    "GET LOST!" he barks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cormorant House]

Detective Bansford grins as she digs out several paper fragments from the ash and soot. "Hrm, found something. Just have to put it back together." A bead of sweat drips down her face as she continues to crouch down, carefully reassembling what bits of the letter can be placed back together. "Okay, hrm. Excellent news? Something about a cure?" Although her hands are large, with broad digits, she's surprisingly agile. Damn, this wasn't as much as she was hoping for. "Can't make out much else, hrm. I'm sure someone back at headquarters will be able to restore the thing, though." This was good, a proper clue.

A step in the right direction.
    Billie rises up, having carefully set the paper fragments away. "You okay, kid?"

[Hodgepodge Street - Rainy Gardens]

Billie frowns, carefully following the angle of his gesture out towards the park. A particularly large, flowering vine catches her eye. For a brief second, she's lost in the fragrance which carries on the wind. "It's Bansford, sir. Detective Bansford." There's a bit of an implied threat there. As invigorating as the environment is, this potential interruption has somewhat soured her mood.

The woman turns her head slightly, arcing a perfectly styled brow in order to shoot a severe glance towards him. "It's a meditation aid, actually. Helps clear my mind." This was a bit of a lie. In reality, she'd been listening to her own case file recordings, as is her habit once a case has closed - a method by which she could attain closure. She wasn't about to play case files in front of a stranger, though.

She did, in fact, own several meditation tapes, though. When he offers the spray, she just shakes her head.

[SciTech Laboratories]

At this point, Asterope's expression has started to contort into a scowling mask of irritation. She's not fully in control of this, as might be apparent by her unusually jerky and erratic gestures. It seems that the shard of shrapnel lodged within her belly is starting to break her concentration. "A GOD CONVERSES NOT WITH THE LOWLY WORM." One hand starts to clutch at her wound.

The other, however, falls fully into the control of the Other. Her fingers move strangely, as tendrils might, forming an esoteric pattern charged with the energies of the void. A rift is torn into the world, a great black tear of formless infinity filled with countless stars. Something whispers to Magnigauntlet from within, suggesting that he approach - that he meet its gaze.

This seemed like a good idea.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-17 at 04:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Underground Tunnels]

See,
    June is intent on proving that not only is it possible to get out of this situation without fighting, but also that she doesn't need to depend on others to get out of these kinds of situations.

It's kind-of disappointing, though. The troll noticed it. June probably should have just left earlier, or accidentally let some webbing get on her hand instead of raising her hands. The ring isn't even that valuable, to be honest.

She sighs and lowers her arms - careful to not get her arms stuck on the fresh webbing - and motions to grab the ring. "The problem is, it can't come off," she says. She pulls on it to show. It doesn't even get halfway to her first knuckle before getting caught on her finger. "See?" Hopefully that mollifies her, especially considering how generally cooperative June has been so far. "You can try pulling if you don't believe me."

Thing is, the ring was actually perfectly sized when first put on - maybe even a tiny bit small - so you only can take it off a specific way. Push the finger up while it's relaxed (if the finger's not relaxed, then the muscle bunches up too much to take it off. Then, you have to turn the ring in the opposite direction the finger was pushed - which is kind-of unintuitive if you've never thought of it before - and carefully get it past the finger fat, muscle, and knuckle. Injuring the finger - or even the air getting too moist - will make it swell just enough that it can't be taken off.

Giving up on what she originally wanted - the troll girl has way too many knives, what if she panics and tries to cut off the finger or something? That doesn't sound fun - June decides to ask Wanessa something: Hey. Um. Could you, like...spook them or something? Make them think they have to leave now. Please?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Default Cormorant House

Nothing moves. The house seems to be holding its breath. The ominous presence intensifies. A sense of terrible wrongness suddenly floods into the room. The walls and floor don't seem quite flat anymore, twisting and writhing like snakes. The armor stand suddenly moves on its own, its joints squeaking as it feebly strikes at the air. The temperature spikes, and then suddenly, there is a flash of light. An oil lamp, sitting on a table on the second floor landing has burst into flame and caused the rat that had been watching to scurry away to a darker room. Seconds later, the sudden illumination and all the other strangeness disappears as suddenly as it began.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

A detective? Oh, crap, she really is a square, a spoilsport extraordinaire! Seems to really be the 'by the book' type, too, how so very annoying. "Detective Becky Bansford. So you're five-o?" He says, eyeing her suspiciously. Better not reveal too much about himself, lest she come knocking to ruin all his fun of getting high and experimenting on creatures!

He quickly pockets the spray once she refuses, folding two pairs of arms. Figures that a spoilsport detective would turn down his offer of mind-openers. "Meditation aid? That's so boring, Becky." Boring without having gotten high, that is. Everything sounds much better when medicated.

Worse, as a detective she'd put up more of a fight if he tried to capture her for experimentation. Nothing sinister, just exposing her to random gases to see how she reacts. Fun (for him)! She'll definitely not see it that way, because squares usually don't appreciate things being done for the good of science!

"Why are you here, Becky? Shouldn't you be... be..." Hmm, that flower looks and smells awesome, he'll have to come back and harvest some samples, free from the prying eyes of spoilsport cops. "... uhh... yes! Shouldn't you be arresting someone?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

[Slums - Patton Publications]

That's just grand. Rorty. Happy like a glabrezu in a village full of defenceless panicky primes. His only lead his powdered out of his brain-box. Well, time to use some persuasion. Michalson will grab the man by she shoulders and shake him.

"Sir, you really need to wake up."

If that fails, he'll produce a vial of strong smelling-salts from his coat and put them under the man's nose. Maybe that'll wake him up.

[Strange Temple] ==> [Memory of Home]

When Emily returns tomorrow, she will find herself in a strange place. It's the same street, but... not quite. It's a place like the street the temple was on, reproduced. Or maybe something just slightly off to the side from the real thing. A liminal space between possibilities. And sure enough, where the temple used to be, Emily will find the house she left behind.
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-08-17 at 01:22 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman simply blinks once or twice once he mentions something about "five-o". She wasn't familiar with the slang, but ascertaining its meaning wasn't particularly difficult for her. "I guess, sure." Billie glances back towards her recorder, frowning somewhat.

She'd bring a book with her from now on, something to turn back to when approached by strangers. Alas, all she has is a recorder and a pair of earbuds. It'd be rude to simply pop those back in, though.
    There didn't seem to be an alternative method by which to escape this painfully awkward conversation.

"... ... ..."

His comments on meditation seemed only irritated her further. "It's Billie."

She scowls before turning her head to the right, eager to focus on anything else.

When he mentions something about arresting people, her response is swift.

"I'm a detective, not a cop - and I'm off duty." Would he get the hint?

Several users nearby shuffle away as Michalson starts shaking the one handed man. There were eyes on him, several sets at least.
    Fortunately, the panhandler seems to snap closer to consciousness, drooling out as he starts to shake his head.

He'll reach for Michalson's shoulder. "Nrgh, whassyouwant?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-17 at 02:38 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Sunlight Gardens

"I think... I think if you think it's a good idea, and Prumathe thinks it's a good idea, then it's a good idea. And you suggested it, so you think it's a good idea, and if Prumathe asks, then he's agreed it's a good idea. So, then, I think on the whole it's looking like a good idea. Don't you agree?" Samantha smiles, trying to reassure Sekhmet. She knows Prumathe; she doesn't really know Sekhmet yet.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Default Sunlight Gardens

Sekhmet smiles, relieved. "Good, uh, good. I was, uh a little unsure." She can breathe a little easier now. All she needs to do is let Prumathe ask her when he's ready. "Thanks Samantha. Uh, for the advice and the, uh, talk."

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

[Underground Tunnels]

Wanessa zips down the side of the pumping station in a blur of shadows as he prepares to do something inscrutable. It ends up not mattering, though, because the conversation turns out to go as June hoped after all:

"'Doesn't come off?' Wh@t @re you t@lking @bout? Stop st@lling @nd-"
    "No, it's fine, Cydann. We don't need some dumb cursed ring."
    "Huh? But, um, actually, a cursed ring would-"
    "Shoosh! Come on, we're leaving. Good luck getting home, nerd lady."

Shiki seems almost earnest in wishing her luck. The course of this robbery has kind of sucked the wind from her sails. Cydann shoots June one last dirty look as the three recall their monsters, load up their spoils, hop on their bikes and ride off the way June came. One of the three troll spirits hovers next to June's ear before it follows them away. You gave her a hard time. Thank you.

Victory!

Interesting! You certainly have a talent for staying calm under pressure. Wanessa walks out of the shadows behind the pump station. Are you still comfortable racing the rest of the way to the den?

--

[Plaza Park]

Beth blinks and regards another cute monster. "Wait. That was you, little guy? What am I, a moth? What are you even doing here?"

...well, eating human souls seems to be the general consensus around here.

Following the shade's lead, Beth taps her palm with her bat as she stares the candlegeist down. When that doesn't work, fire monsters resisting metal and all, Beth puts the bat away and reaches over to pick up the entire marble altar. The cracking and grinding sound of moving furniture echoes in the chapel. The foul-smelling lump sitting in its center slides off and splats on the floor as she adjusts her grip, grateful that she's still wearing her skating gloves. It's dusty and unwieldy, but still intimidating.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Once the man shakes into some semblance of awareness of his surroundings, Michalson takes a deep breath and resumes his professional, matter-of-fact tone. He does, however, ward off the man's hand.

"I have questions about a woman you spoke to. In the phone booth next to the Monore's diner."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

The panhandler writhes in his chair, still drooling out onto himself. When he speaks, its difficult to understand. His tongue is swollen and discolored, and very few teeth remain. "Nrgh, ya want the pretty lady, yesh? He's having difficult speaking, and his eyes appear to be pointing off in entirely different directions. "Courshe ya do, ha! Ach, hrnnh..." He starts to cough, spewing sour spittle everywhere.

He tries to concentrate, its clearly difficult. "I know her... Color Me Wild, yeash."
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-17 at 05:46 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

[Underground Tunnels]

Oh, good.
    It's over.
    And...she's a little confused about why the ghost decided to thank her. But...they're gone, and nobody got hurt.
    She smiles and waves the fashionista 'bye'.

June sighs in relief and looks over at Wanessa, and answers by speaking aloud (probably out of habit) even though she doesn't really have to. "Well...someone told me there'd be situations where I'd have to hurt someone to get out of, and I kind-of wanted to prove this wasn't one of those."

Honestly, now that her adrenaline's crashing, she's starting to feel pretty uncomfortable. Nearly nude. Barefoot. Wearing webbing. "Ugh. That was really dumb of me, wasn't it?" she says, not really as a question so much as a statement of fact. There was that little lizard monster, and who knows what the mushroom thing could do, and that girl had way too many knives, and. . .

She looks down. "I really hope my memories are accurate." Okay. With all that out of the way, back to the important question: "I...want to still continue with the race, but I'm quickly getting less and less comfortable and I really don't want to cut my feet on something."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

[Underground Tunnels]

Would it hurt them not to have the clothes off your back? Wanessa curiously stares at June's eyes - actually at them this time, not through them - then blinks and shakes her head apologetically. Never mind. I know you had your reasons.

Anyway, walking! That's fair, broken glass and rusty metal are a problem on this side of town. A lot of new ghouls can get set off cutting their foot open, too, thanks to their heightened emotional states. Though, I don't think that would be a problem with your disposition.

Wanessa doesn't hesitate much before sitting down to take off her own work boots. She hands them over to June. Here! You can borrow these for the rest of the run. We're pretty close now, anyway.

15. - Top - End - #75

[Underground Tunnels]

June really should have just tried to get out of there in the first place. At most, would have only lost one article of clothing due to being destroyed by webbing.
    She sighs again.

"...Yeah."
    and
    Ghoul? Does that mean she's not human any more? No, that's got to mean something different. Probably.

She looks down at the boots. "Are you sure?" she asks, accepting the boots and starting to put them on. But then that means you'll be barefoot.

It'll be a bit harder to run in these boots - in the first place, they're not a perfect fit, and in the second place, they're boots instead of tennis shoes. She won't be able to run all-out.

She touches the webbing.
    Still sticky. Gotta keep arms from hitting it.
    "Okay." She stands up again. Deep breath. "Ready."
    And so, she starts running again (but noticeably slower than before).
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

[Aimless Shenanigans]

Pure evil might not be a thing in The Game, but it is a thing in Thepes! So is pure good, making Zabb equipped to battle the demon.

"The amulet, guys!" He thinks at Lapis and Eao.

Then one of the flames hit Zabb and he grimaces in disgust. Figures that there's something in the Nexus able to actually stand a chance of having him need to regenerate, either instantly or back at the Tree of Life. However, he gets just as lightly damaged as Skeletron does. "Ngh... not holding back, eh? Then I'll show you why darkness doesn't understand light!"

To prove his point, while dodging several flames, he blasts one with evil-purifying energy and throws it at Skeletron. That's a distraction from his real attack, though: knowing that he and his two teammates can ignore gravity, he throws up a field to increase the gravity of the room by tenfold. Hopefully, it not only will crush any skeleton mobs, but will also make the amulet heavier.

He doesn't expect Skeletron to be affected by it, though.

"Billie... Billie Jean / is not my love! / She's just a girl..." The doctor starts singing the song after mentioning her name, then trails off as he turns to her. "Wha...?" He mutters, as if he suddenly remembers himself.

Pulling out a recorder, he speaks into it, words still slurred. "Hmm... side effect of Delta-920 observed; temporary personality change." He turns to look at the orcish woman beside him. Inconcievable that he would have been so friendly with a non-scientist. Not just that, a lawmaker who would stifle scientific advancements by enforcing such meaningless things as 'ethics'.

"So, Detective Bille Blansford." His actual personality having mostly reasserted itself, the look he gives her is of one examining an inferior specimen in a petri dish. "I find it amusing that a mere cog in the law system would be so cultured as to employ a meditation aid." Ah, another one of those insufferable geniuses, he is! The dopey grin has fallen off his face, but he's still high.

"That you claim a detective cannot make arrests only shows your sub-standard intelligence. Either that, or you think me mighty stupid I would believe that nonsense." He says in his deep-voiced Southern American accent. Getting up, he prepares to leave. "Either way, you wanna be left alone, and I must refine this gas."

Another woman can be seen in the distance.

He opens up his umbrella and steps into the rain, just as another woman appears in the distance. She spots the overhang and starts to increase her walking speed. The bespectacled woman is black-haired, green-eyed and pale-skinned, a human woman dressed in a black coat, light grey shirt, black trousers and fancy black shoes. Her umbrella is black, as well. Seems this woman likes black (she does)! She's also currently 12-feet tall. "Ah, Detective Thorne approaches. Birds of a feather... see ya, wouldn't wanna be ya." With that, he leaves.

He walks away if allowed, leaving Billie to enjoy his absence. However, the other detective he mentioned approaches, scowling briefly at Dr Lovelace as he passes her. She shrinks in height until she's short enough to comfortably get under the overhang, her clothing and umbrella shrinking with her. "Hello. Was that man, Dr Lovelace, disturbing you?" She asks in a posh British accent.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-08-18 at 08:51 AM.
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Billie rests back against the bench, hands in her lap. She watches over the proceedings with a fairly unimpressed expression upon her face. Her position as an officer of the law frequently attracted the attention of freaks like this guy, interested only in making a fool of themselves before an authority figure. This was an ordinary occurrence, but an irritating one nevertheless. "Okay pal, you're gonna wrap it up now."

Her demand will cut through Lovelace's most inflammatory statement, her tone icy and uncompromising.

--

At this point, any hesitation towards being rude has washed away. This was not an individual who's responses would be worth the time it would take to listen to them. As such, she'll gently set her earbuds back before continuing to listen to her recordings. Though she notices the large woman approaching, she does not wave or speak out in acknowledgement, only nodding once.

As she clambers beneath the overhang, Billie removes her earbuds again. "No, he wasn't. Nothing new."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

Lovelace doesn't seem to care about her demand, but is cut short by her choosing not to listen to anymore of his bullcrap. Scoffing, he simply leaves in silence.

Rosie nods and takes a seat beside Billie, folding her umbrella. "Nothing new when you're in Inside, eh?" She flashes Billie a friendly smile. "Especially when you're on the force, you meet a lot of freaks like him. That man is a real piece of work!" Her eyes narrow as she peers at Billie. "Hey, you look familiar..."

Eyes widening in recognition, she suddenly looks glad. "Detective Bansford! It's a huge honor!" She offers a handshake, grinning from ear to ear. "I'm Detective Rosalind D. Thorne, Rosie to my friends." The younger woman says, and will shake Billie's hand vigorously once it's taken.
    Love is the message.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Billie responds to the new woman's friendly expression with a reserved smile of her own, her large teeth on display. It's a sad little smile, stern but comforting in its own way. "Nah. Never really is, is there?" Her gray eyes will meet Rosie's own, the color of the stormy sky overhead. She had mentioned something about the force. Had she somehow ascertained Billie's position? She was certain she hadn't mentioned her profession, but perhaps Rosie had overheard her conversation with Lovelace. Still, it was "He's nothing special. Don't worry about it, dear." There were always people like him, after all.

Then, she's recognized. Ah, perhaps that's how she knew. She's somewhat caught off guard, her cheeks reddening. "Ah, well. I appreciate that, you're very sweet." Billie couldn't help but feel awkward at this point. She was never a fan of the celebritization of the police force. She'll take Rosie's hand regardless, employing a strong grasp as she shakes. Her hands are scarred, but her nails are perfectly trimmed and glossed. There was real care, there - attention to detail. "Pleasure's all mine, Ms. Thorne."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Default Aimless Shenanigans

Eao ducks under a funky flaming flechette and fires her staff at the amulet. A disintegration bolt sears through the air towards it, but her aim would be much better if she didn't have to dodge all these projectiles while shooting. It would be nice if this weapon could burst fire.

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Rosie can't stop grinning. A bona-fide veteran of the force, a real hero! "Let me just say, I aspire to be like you someday!" She gushes, then notices Billie's reddened cheeks. "Oh my, I'm not embarrassing you, am I? I'm dreadfully sorry, Ms. Bansford!" Her look turns apologetic, and she breaks the handshake. Hers is firm as well, her perfectly manicured nails painted black.

"Seeing as you're in the force too, though..." She attempts to change the subject, even though it's quite clear she'd love to gush over Billie some more. She even utilizes the pause to gaze at this hero before her, before clearing her throat and continuing. "... I overheard your discussion with Dr Grosvenor Lovelace. He's a real megalomaniacal sociopath. I had to question him once, and it's quite clear he thinks of everyone else as beneath him... unless he's high on one of those sprays of his, in that case you never know what you get." Hey, but she won't want to talk about that either, and she realizes that this might be the case after she speaks. Once again, she looks a bit apologetic.

Eager to please, this one.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-08-18 at 11:15 AM. Reason: overheard lovelace
    Love is the message.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Michalson takes a deep breath and continues in the same tone. Just ask questions until he gets an answer.

"She made an emergency phone call to the Intersection from that phone booth. Do you know anything about that?"

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

[Underground Tunnels -> Black Dragon's Den, Basement]

The rest of the run is comparatively uneventful. Since the race is more or less off, Wanessa tries to keep an even pace with June, which proves difficult for her. Wanessa's two main modes of movement seem to be, 'barely keeping her trousers on because she has too many keychains clipped to them,' and, 'swimming through the shadows like a hungry shark.'

More light sources crop up as the team nears its destination, as do more people eyeing them from dubious booths and curtained side-tunnels. Wanessa points out a heavy, iron-bound wood door, its surroundings kept clean for as far as its ambient torchlight reaches; a ghost sits just beyond the light's edge, like it's waiting for something. A goblin in a suit and sunglasses sits in a chair next to the door, smoking and reading a newspaper.

"Password?"

"Since when does it need a password?"

"If you need to ask, it's none of your business. Password!"

"Is it trying to con bar patrons? No, it would just be asking for money, then. This is still the Black Dragon's Den, isn't it?"

"Not if you don't have the password it isn't. But if you work there? Got a delivery? Then password."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-08-18 at 03:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

[
    [Black Dragon's Den, Basement]

Well, it couldn't have been that easy.
    And more ghosts.
    June figures she's just going to have to get used to seeing ghosts now.

After spending a moment looking at all the things, she remembers that, oh, yeah, looking at things isn't why they came here.

Is there a password? she wonders. She wasn't told anything about one. Maybe they'll tell her on the first shift she actually takes? Just randomly guessing passwords would obviously not work. Maybe they'll have to go back to some other way up? And then go in through the front door or something?
    No, wait, there's got to be an easier way to do this that doesn't require walking through the streets dressed like this.
    On that thought, she has an idea:
    Gesturing at herself and her notable lack of pockets, she asks, "Do I look like I'm delivering something?" she asks. "Haven't got enough space to even carry a lighter." Lighter was the first thing that came to mind, seeing him smoking.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Ms. Bansford glances downwards at Rosie's words, unable to repress a small smile. "No, it's alright. You're very sweet, dear." It's clear that she's at least somewhat appreciate of the other woman's praise, albeit awkward regarding her methods of receiving it. She becomes somewhat quiet once Rosie's words trailing off, turning her head to stare off into the distance. This was not the life she expected to have, but it was one she'd grown fond of. Billie attempts to remain casual as Rosie looks her over, but she can't help but feel a little uncomfortable. "Please, call me Billie."

She turns her head back to smile towards Rosie. Her gray eyes flash here and there across her form, unable to resist further analysis. Rather than vocalize her conclusions, she simply pats at the bench beside her. "Have a seat, I don't bite." She smirks a little there. Was that a joke, considering her teeth?

When she mentions Dr. Lovelace, she simply shrugs, sitting back.
    "I don't stress it. Men like him are a dime a dozen."

"What brings you out into the rain, girl?

The man continues to cough all over Michalson, with long strands of drool now having formed between his chin and chest. One eye has shut, though; he's becoming calmer.
    "She was runnin', shir... runnin' fasht... ... ... ... dunno from what... ... ... she washh shcared, though."

"Runny eyeshh... stark white hair... like she'd... ... ... seen a ghosht."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

[Black Dragon's Den, Basement]

The goblin looks up at June. He doesn't seem terribly impressed by her outfit. "No. No, you do not."

"She does work here, though. Right? Didn't you have a room, too?"

June's key probably suffered the same fate as her knife.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

"Thank you, Billie, and you can call me Rosie, as well." The tall woman says, grinning wider upon realizing she's being analyzed. A detective's habit, truly!

She chuckles at Billie's remark, taking it as a joke, and sits down, shrinking further if necessary in order to ensure that the bench can accommodate her back and posterior. Crossing her legs in a graceful manner, she places her hands on her lap and turns to face the orc. "Well, I just got done patrolling the Red Zone and thought I'd get a bite to eat. The rain started while I was eating, but luckily I came prepared, thank goodness for the weather forecast."

She studies Billie a bit, her eyes lingering on the player, with its earbuds. This time, her gaze is analytical. "Case-related?" It could be music, a podcast... but it's much more likely to be something case-related.
    Love is the message.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

Cormorant House

Oh hey cool the house just flipped the heck out.

"GAH!" Magdalene gasps as she leaps back a few steps, her left hand suddenly pulsing with primal power as she makes a slashing motion at the armor stand. A morass of gnashing thorns and livid ruby power leaps from her outstretch limb, a roiling cloud of death that vaguely resembles a sea of teeth and claws. The stand will likely be aggressively eaten. Very possibly along with the wall behind it. Whatever foul magic that she just lobbed is absolutely voracious. Thankfully, though, it doesn't spread.

She quickly points at the (probably) remains of the armor stand.

"Wasn't my fault he started it."

Y'know.

Just in case the cop gives her lip about it.

Because she's gotten pissed every single time Mags' has broken something which is dumb.

The rest of the awful wrongness doesn't appear to have phased her at all? Or maybe she didn't notice? Or maybe not getting in trouble with Billie is more important to her than whatever occult spookieness just happened.

[SciTech Laboratories]

Unlike some magnetic themed villains Master MagniGauntlet's helmet doesn't protect him from mental attacks.

Such a shame.

Glassy-eyed and insentient, the villain begins plodding toward the hole in reality.

No doubt this will work out nicely for him.

[Plaza Park]

Okay.

So.

Let's take stock here.

Hector is being snarly and scary.

Beth just ripped a stone altar out of the floor and flipped the gross heap of filth in the middle of it onto the floor.

These are both very scary things.

Though, oddly enough for the spectral monster, the snarly scary dog is WAY more intimidating than the girl brandishing the big rock.

One way or the other, the wild pokemon fled from battle!

That... that counts as a victory right?

Sure.

Oddly enough the altar is a lot lighter than Beth might have expected. Mostly because it was hollow. Torn apart like it is, a compartment inside has been exposed! Pulling the box open won't be too hard, either. Inside is an old fashioned skeleton key. Even has a grinning skull of the end. Because of course it does.

[Aimless Shenanigans]

Lapis, who isn't quite as great at dodging, raises her sword as the shape of light flattens into a disk! Shields of light are cool, too. The EEEEVIL fire bounces off ineffectually.

Oh hey then gravity does a thing!

Lapis HURLS the shield at Skeletron's legs, knocking him off balance as the gravity spike takes hold. Reeling as he is, he can't dodge Eao's death ray!

PEW!

The demon might be tough-

-but the amulet is still corporeal.

Or at least it was.

Until it got disintegrated.

With wailing, fading cry of, "Not cooooooool..." the flames go out on Skeletron's host, leaving the bones to clatter to the floor lifelessly. The rift to the Disco Inferno is gone, the demons defeated. Bank is still in pretty rough shape, though.

"We won!" Lapis cheers.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2020-08-18 at 09:33 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

[Plaza Park]

Hector smiles, a job well done.
    ”Okay. Excellent. Now we can check out that hatch. We might want to close it behind us so the faerie’s can’t chase us in from behind.” Barghest!Hector looks down the hatch and growls, glamouring up a little red light. There’s something slightly unsettling about this light. Boogies aren’t good at glamours that aren’t a little unsettling. But it’s a light for his Other and his stupid mortal human eyes. Good enough for the two of them to descend. After the shadow goes back to being a shadow. Dogs aren’t good with ladders.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Ms. Bansford nods curtly in response to Rosie's request. "I'll keep that in mind." She relaxes somewhat as the other woman becomes comfortable, growing more at ease with her surroundings. "Mm, this is lovely." The pounding of the rain upon the overhang above brought a sort of peace to her. When Rosie mentions patrol, she glances back towards her clothing.

Did the other woman appear to be in uniform? Then, a look towards the recorder. "Yeah. Keeps things straight."

[Cormorant House]

As she glances back towards the animate hat rack, Billie's eyes widen. It was moving on its own, but perhaps more disconcerting was the burst of eerie magic produced by her unwilling 'ward'. "Ah, hell - damn place is haunted." She had more or less suspected this, but confirmation of her suspicion was another matter entirely.

She's unconcerned with the (likely) damaged rack, instead focusing her attention upon the suddenly distinguished fire. "Did you... see that? The fire, up there?"

[SciTech Laboratories]

Asterope's expression continues to shift and contort as power shifts back and forth between herself and the alien consciousness within her. It is an unpleasant sensation. She pins her arms at her sides, asserting her will over the weakened entity. There would be no further destruction here, not now! For Magnigauntlet, however - it may be too late.

Her tone turns harsh for but a second, her voice echoing throughout the chamber.

"GAZE INTO THE EYES OF THE BEAST OF TEN THOUSAND WORLDS."

--

It is impossible to describe the images within the outer rift. In its struggle to make sense of the immaterial, his brain perhaps visualizes the phenomena before him as a collection of perfect lights - glowing pinpoints of an imperceptible shade. The lights form a pattern, and within this pattern is written the doom of ten thousand worlds.

Psychic tendrils of starstuff attempt to burrow into Magnigauntlet's brain, sealing his fate.

Trapping his mind within an invisible prison of existential fear.