New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Inside 70: Surprisingly Pleasant

Sunlight Gardens

Prumathe hugs back, and smiles. "I love you too, Sekhmet."
    "Well, I'm really sorry but I gotta go. My shift starts quite soon. It was lovely meeting you, Sekhmet. I'll have those shoes sent to you as soon as they're done." Samantha grins and climbs off her stool, dropping into a curtsy.

Hopefully Sekhmet remembers not to compliment her as she leaves.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Default Sunlight Gardens

"Thank you Samantha. You're very kind." Whoops. That was a compliment. Sekhmet's about to go blind, or lose her voice, or something, isn't she? She realizes her mistake seconds after the words leave her lips, and an aghast expression covers her face.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Hodgepodge Street - Rainy Gardens]

Ms. Bansford shrugs. "Yeah? Wasn't much. Short stories and poetry, mostly." She was flattered at the other woman's interest in her work, yet the topic stirred within her a sort of melancholy. "I still have them, somewhere." Ah, there it is; that slow, gnawing sadness buried deep within her gut. It had been her dream, once. "It's been years since I read anything of mine." For a brief moment her mind is brought back home - to a set of leatherbound journals choked in dust, rotting away within a locked cabinet. The work of an amateur, passionate but lacking in structure and form.

As the subject changes, Billie clears her throat. Onto a less painful topic. "You mentioned that your father was a weaponsmith." Her world had long since moved on past the need for martial weapons. "I assume you mean swords and the like?" Long ago, her ancestors forged blades and axes with which they conquered the world. Now, swords were merely antiques - items to be displayed in museums or collected by hobbyists. "My mother owned a cavalry saber. I inherited it once she passed." A gentle word for what had happened. It had been violent. "I've never taken it out of its case."

She glances back towards Rosie, her gray eyes appearing as if to pierce through her. "They do, yes." She nods curtly before peering on towards the pond, fixated once more upon its rippling surface. "Our work has never been simple." Ms. Bansford breathes in the cold air before explaining further. "We're in the business of life, after all - and life never is."

[Grey Zone - Museum Street Backalley]

By the time police detective Billie Bansford arrives, she's already been briefed via the radio. It started out fairly routine - a pair of patrol officers were investigating a suspicious circumstance. Less than five minutes later, an officer was dead. This was no straightforward death, either - this was something out of a horror movie.

After parking her vehicle and retrieving a pair of hot coffees, she'll make her way towards Officer Jane's patrol car. Unless prevented in any way, Billie will knock upon her window. She gestures with the second cup of coffee before offering a sympathetic expression. She had lost a partner before, she knew this pain.

Billie clears her voice before speaking calmly. "Can I sit with you? I brought coffee." She pauses before continuing. "And kahlúa.

To sum it up:
    Other officers have arrived and told the scene as i mentioned befor. They also report a single string with blood all over it, left behind. The forensic team is already on the case and might give some results after a bit more time or when asked.

Jane sits in the car and just stares at the front. In wone hand she still holds the microphone which she used to call for help. When Billie knocks she flinches and stares at the newcomeer. She needs a moment to realize what Billie wants and then leans over to the other side to unlock the door. The woman seems in some kinda schock as she isn't answering at all to Billie right now. She will take the cup of coffee. She holds it with both hands as if it's heat can replace the wamth she lost. She won't replxy yet, but maybe she just needs a bit more time
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

[Philip Memorial Library]

If the book were capable of sneering, it would.

Remain calm, creepy book. If you lose your cool now, he won't sign. Just keep at it.

There's a slight pause before it continues. "I think that's great, buddy. ;) " More winking, it seems quite fond of that. "There's no rush, none at all. Keep right at it." Fortunately for the book, it would be impossible to detect its sarcasm. "Oh, come on. You don't think so little of me, do you? You know as well as I that 'Minerva' ain't your name, buddy. ;) "

It continues after a second. "It's Nikki, right?"

[Naomi's Flat]

In a way, the room was perfectly representative of its owner.

As Jade explores, Naomi shuts the window behind her. It was a little cold, and it was only going to get colder.

Naomi's pet, a particularly unfriendly persian cat, accepts the other woman's attention with scornful disdain. After a moment, he will leap off from the bed before vanishing into a messy closet. In the meantime, Naomi kneels down beside her record player. She allows herself a sigh of contentment as peaceful music fills the room. When Jade speaks up again, Naomi will move towards her dresser.

Comfortable clothes are retrieved as she answers. "Um, I didn't get a choice, really."

"As if I did. You think I want to be stuck with you?"

[Cormorant House]

This was quickly getting out of hand. Something would have to be done.

However, flesh monsters were most certainly somewhere beyond Detective Bansford's paygrade.

Once she reaches the attic, ideally with the teenager in tow, she'll attempt to slam the trapdoor shut before quickly glancing around the room. Tattered drapes and long forgotten boxes, it seemed as ordinary as one would expect. Her eyes narrow as she notices the arbalest which hangs from the wall. She had hunted often with similar implements in her youth.

Something about it called to her. Trusting her hunch, she'll rush towards the arbalest before starting to load the weapon, muscles rippling beneath her uniform.

Finally, she barks an order to Magdalene. "Let it through."

Billie does not push, she understands how this works.

She'll remain quiet, slowly closing the door behind her. Now, they'll sit in silence.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-24 at 09:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

[Plaza Park]

"Huh. So rocks that keep fae out, huh? Sounds really annoying." Hector says. He's just an innocent boogie here. No need to be suspicious.
    Although honestly they'll probably have to fix the wardstone, and they probably means Beth since Hector can't usually touch things that the Watchers inscribe.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Cormorant House]

Incoherent amorphous masses of flesh!

Oh man, that really brings back memories!

Good times from home, Mags recalls.

Wait. No. All those memories are terrible.

Never mind.

The totem releases several more volleys of animus-ravaging power into the flesh heap before getting ripped apart, the point of ruby light hovering between the antlers winking out like a wisp of smoke. Mags is raising her left hand to loose another foul invocation upon the meat pile when she gets pulled up into the attic! That's probably just as well, really. Rather than what she was planning on doing she causes a thicket of wickedly barbed vines to weave themselves over the secret passage entrance to make it a bit harder for flesh heap to follow them. The vines hunger for blood, of course. What else would they hunger for?

"Saw some birds," Mags answers Billie's question rather belatedly, brushing sand off her shield. "So, what, we start looking around up here now right?" she asks before lifting a sheet draped over some furniture.

And then the cop asks for the thing to be allowed in.

"Haha, what? Are you serious?"

She sure LOOKS serious holding that cross bow.

Mags shrugs. "Arright, sure, whatever," she says. At the words the vines she had conjured rot and wither in seconds.

[Plaza Park]

"What? No! Are you as dumb as you are fat?" one of the pixie retorts. "Out of this whole neighborhood! Some jerk didn't want us to make kids happy!"

"Yeah, we're great at making kids happy!" the second pixie agrees. "But I'm WAY better at it than my friend since my ideas are the best."

"Are not."

"Are so!"

"ARE NOT DUST FOR BRAINS!"

"ARE TOO BUGBUTT!"

Oh hey they're fighting again.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

[Plaza Park]

Beth crosses her arms and narrows her eyes. She has no reason to be sensitive about being called fat, but it still pretty much cut her patience in half.

Then, watching them fight gives her an idea!

"Making kids happy, huh? How about a contest?" She unfolds her arms and adopts a confident smile. "We heard there's been an epidemic of misery around here for some reason, so you should have plenty of targets to cheer up. We can help judge. Right, Hector?"
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2020-08-24 at 09:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Naomi's Flat

"You didn't have a choice? Everyone has a choice." Jade thinks for a second. "I guess you mean you didn't have a choice when you got your powers. How did that happen?"

Cormorant House

The arbalest seems pretty normal. Big heavy metal crossbow. That's simple enough. The bolts, on the other hand, are more unusual, cast from silver with a sturdy barbed point.
    Once Maggie dissolves the barrier, the mass of writhing flesh surges up into the attic, flooding onto the floor and wriggling towards the heroes.

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #189

"Oh, wow, look at that. The telemarketer can also read minds," June says in a nonsarcastic tone. Yeah, Nikki, that's right.

But, like spirits, demons, fiends, magic, vampires...and everything else that June has encountered so far, every single basic thing seems to have a different meaning here than what June is used to. Including names, apparently. And what counts as a name. And maybe even the purpose of names. "Before, I didn't think little of you. But the more you speak, the more worthless you seem. If you think 'Minerva' isn't good enough as my name, then you clearly won't be able to answer any of my questions to my satisfaction."
    He picks back up the quill and starts to doodle a couple more things.
    "It's just...I wish things were different. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still stay friends, because you deserve someone who loves you for you," he tells the book.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-08-24 at 10:50 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

The book does not respond to 'June'.

At this point, it has already resigned itself to another few years.

As a final measure, one originating mostly from spite, the book reverts its control over the magical quill. Now, when June doodles, the ink is red. It smells quite strangely, like nickels. Pennies, perhaps. The longer he writes, the weaker he will feel. He is, unknowingly, writing in his own blood now. The book certainly hopes he passes out, here and now.

Perhaps the rats will take him.

[Cormorant House]

Now was the time for action; be deliberate, for there is strength in conviction.

With a grim expression upon her face, Billie steps forward. With the arbalest held within her mighty arms, she plants her feet.

She is calm even as the whorling mass of flesh and bone appears before her. Her eyes flutter shut for but a moment. She takes a deep breath, closing off her senses to everything but what would be necessary in order to accomplish the task at hand. She does not sense its awful stench, nor is she concerned with the dreadful thing itself. "Easy, girl. You have this." Finally, she opens her eyes. As she exhales, it feels as if the house itself grows still.

The arbelest is raised up, her whole body digging into the floorboards within her. She feels the metal in her hands, coursing like lightning.

Billie fires, her entire body clenching all at once.

"... ... ..."

"... ... ..."

"... ... ..."

*THWACK*

[Naomi's Flat]

Naomi frowns, not finding Jade's first statement particularly helpful.

On paper, sure - everyone had a choice. How true was that in real life, though? She didn't choose to be like this.

If she could go back in time so that none of this had ever happened to her, she would. This was not the life she chose for herself. She was supposed to finish college, a full ride on athletic scholarship. That had been her choice. Rather than push the point and risk contention, she simply shrugs. "It was a comet. Um, at least I think they're called comets." She could never quite remember the precise names for everything. "It was really late. I liked to practice at night, then."

"I wish I hadn't gone to it."

11. - Top - End - #191

Obviously June's not going to just draw forever. Once it becomes obvious that the book isn't going to respond, it gets kind-of boring, y'know?

And.
    After the ink turns red, June pauses. Unknowingly? "Ha. Took long enough," he says. He was honestly expecting that's how the quill worked from the beginning, and so it's good to have that finally confirmed. After all, a self-writing quill? Obviously it uses the writer's own blood. June's just kind-of curious about how it made it look purple earlier.

He leans back and sighs. Honestly, he's disappointed that the book's too dumb to accept other names. Maybe he really should just put the book back and find another one. Maybe one on how names work around here.
    But, honestly, probably a majority of the useful books are also in another language. He's got to start somewhere.

He quickly signs Nikki, making doubly sure to put hearts on each i.
    Then, he closes the book with the quill inside.
    And then, after waiting for a while for nothing to happen, puts the book back.

June stands up and starts to look around for another book that might be helpful.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-08-25 at 02:01 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Naomi's Flat

"I didn't mean it quite like that," Jade senses the other woman's disgust at the mention of choices. "I didn't have a choice to be born with the powers I have. But everyone has a choice of how they use them. I think you made a brave choice." Not everyone has the guts to be a hero. "What exactly do you do?" Power-wise, she means.

Cormorant House

The bolt flies true, beginning to glow as it nears the heap of flesh. It flies with a trail of silver light and embeds into the writhing mass, and there is an immediate effect. The area around the bolt blackens and chars, spreading across all the mass. It goes still. But there is a cost. The bolt has melted into slag, no longer usable.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-08-25 at 08:15 AM.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #193

[Cormorant House]

"Oh sweet, blob killing crossbow," Mags observes helpfully. "That'll be cool to have, probably better than the gun."

Normally Mags would say guns are better than crossbows but hey when you get a cool enchanted weapon you shouldn't complain.

She's honestly feeling a lot more comfortable at this point, rifling through the attic to see if there's anything else up here that might be useful. Though probably not. An enchanted weapon is already pretty great loot.

Mags is getting back into her element!

Explore creepy places.

Kill creepy monsters.

Collect cool swag that's mostly junk she can't use but maybe some other pactbound would want it?

"How many bolts have you got for that thing? Wonder if there are more up here..." she mutters as she kneels on the floor and peeks under a sheet-covered couch. While down there she'll look under the seat cushions, too. You can find all sorts of cool stuff under cushions.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cormorant House]

Detective Bansford exhales calmly as the bolt connects.

It is a great release of stress, one which provides the catharsis necessary to continue on.

She'll very carefully set the arbalest down before having a seat beside it. After taking a breathe, she calls over her shoulder towards Magdalene. "Be there in a moment. Need a second to myself." Emotionally, facing that thing had been quite stressful. Now was not the time to panic, though. Get your head back in the game, this wasn't over yet. "Okay. Are you alright?" As the detective rises to her feet, her eyes wander from the arbalest all the way towards the blackened remains of the creature which pursued them.

Just looking at the thing made her uncomfortable. This was not something she was ever meant to see.

Billie takes a drink out of her hip flask before counting bolts.

"It'll have to be enough."

[Naomi's Flat]

That, at least, helps a little bit. She's less awkward.

Talking about what happened with the comet was always difficult, though.

It had been the worst experience of her life. When Jade starts going more into detail regarding her choice of words, Naomi becomes more at ease. She continues to sit on the floor, peacefully running her fingers through the colorful hairs of her fuzzy rug. "I appreciate that. I just didn't know what else to do." Naomi offers a small smile towards Jade before continuing. "I don't fully know. They're not my powers."

"Not... not really."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Cormorant House

Four bolts left. Make them count. As for searching for more bolts under couch cushions, no bolts are found. But there are cool old coins, bits of incredibly stale food, broken springs, etc.
    The dead... Thing... Doesn't leave the pair quite alone even after it's stopped moving. You see, it smells utterly awful. Liked rotting roadkill cooked in burning sulfur and drizzled with the metallic tang of blood. What's worse is that the stench may induce an alien hunger in those who inhale it, a hunger for rotten flesh. How long has it been since you last ate? Compared to going hungry, eating that monstrous creature is almost preferable. There are a few intact bits. Just take a bite.

Naomi's Flat

"Not your powers?" You can almost see the gears in Jade's mind grinding. "Oh! They're sourced from something else. An entity or an object, that was in the comet?" Jade looks a little concerned. Those sorts of powers can often be dangerous to their wielders, especially mentally.

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

[Plaza Park]

Hector looks at Beth with the exact kind of expression that someone would give another if they had suggested that someone commit a homicide.
    "No, that is terrible." he says flatly. In fact he says so certainly that both of him say it at once.
    "What's up with that anyway? Mortals over here saying that all the mirth's gone. I know that isn't something you'd do." It certainly doesn't sound like pixies. From his little research they just do bad or annoying things. Or make more of themselves.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Net Cafe]

"...Yeah, I suppose it is. Following the engine line and all the tubing there was also kind-of interesting."

She goes into the net cafe.

It's dark. Long and skinny, too, with one offshoot room. Tons of computers in rows. Purplish lighting, and ads for video games along the walls in poster form. Plus, someone sitting at a desk with a computer, looking like they run the place. Prices are written on a paper next to them.

"You're right, they don't really teach that," Marin says. Which is why she's always wanted to go to a college or something. She's sure it'd help with a lot of things she doesn't know.
    [Net Cafe]

Svetlana enters as well, looking around. "I am here to help, Marin-chan. I offered, you accepted, and so I will treat this as a promise. I am a woman of my word." She scans the price listing and pays whatever amount will let them use the printer.

That done, she leads Marin to the printer when it's pointed out and scans it for any bluetooth or wireless functionality. "So, I will be printing two books: a manual for a cybernetic arm, and 'An Introduction to Cybernetics'." Which, in video game terms, will grant Marin an upgrade to her Science/Repair/Engineering skill, as the case may be . "Do you possess a phone or communication device, so that I can call you and set up a time and date where you can come and visit my workshop?"

It seems that the younger woman had misunderstood her. Ms. Bansford rubs her hands together as she considers how best she might provide further clarification. "That's perhaps a bit reductive." She adds onto her statement while all the while watching raindrops trickle down the glass shielding to her right. "Never lose sight of what is, over what may be." That's perhaps a little cryptic. The detective watches one particularly fat drop dribble onto the bench. Her tone softens, becoming gentler. "It's all about balance, you know? Nothing else matters, really." At this, she'll reach over to tap at Rosie's hand.

It's a reassuring gesture, one meant to assure her that, although her tone has been somewhat cold, she means no ill will. She's quite pleased at her mention of 'doing her best'. "Your best is all you'll ever need." Her slight smile fades once she goes on referring to the concept of a 'legendary detective'. This was exactly the sort of thing she despised. "It's not about fame. I'd expect you to know that." Though her statement is somewhat sharp, she tries to be soft about it. With a shrug, she continues. "It shouldn't factor in at all. The job is its own reward." With a sigh, she continues to brush at the bench with her thumb.

"I appreciate it, though. You're very kind." In response to Rosie's last question, she receives a surprising response! "Sometimes."

"Other times... I box. Down at the Dragon's Den."

Rosie nods once. "Oh, I do understand, Billie! It's important to take stock of the present too, especially as a detective! I'm just saying that looking to the future rather than being stuck in the past's important, too." She says it a bit hurriedly, as if to calm Billie down, but the hand tap reassures her. Smiling warmly, she once again gazes at Ms. Bansford, an idea forming in her mind. How good it would be to have this woman as a mentor, different precincts and units notwithstanding?

Her determined demeanour fades somewhat once she notices the lack of a smile. The sharpness of tone with which the other woman speaks prompts her to quickly defend herself. "I don't care much for fame, Billie, though I must admit it would be nice to get some recognition. I just want to do such a good job that others will look up to me. That's not a bad goal, is it?" She reaches to put her large hand on the orc's shoulder, then hesitates, reading Billie's body language to see if it's okay. If not, she'll pull her hand away.

'The job is it's own reward', eh? That it is, that it is! As stressful as the job can be, knowing that one's actions are helping to make the city of Inside safer is indeed a good reward! While she's always known this fact, hearing it put into words causes her to nod and smile. "You're very right, Billie..." She licks her lips. "Could you mentor me, Ms. Bansford? I'm sure there's a lot I could learn from you regarding the basics, your experience will be invaluable in helping me to improve my skills as a detective." She hopes Billie accepts, but with how willing she's been to share her pearls of wisdom, she expects a positive response.

"Really?! That's great!" Hearing that Billie boxes widens the smile on her face. More reason to like her! "I like fighting, myself... it makes me feel alive! Of course, I know when and when not to fight..." Even though she wishes she could solve all her problems like that... if only life worked that way. "Perhaps we should spar sometime!"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #198

Billie does not push, she understands how this works.

She'll remain quiet, slowly closing the door behind her. Now, they'll sit in silence.

Jane will need quiet a while befor she does anything. She just holds the cup in her hand, blankly looking through the steam coming from it. It makes her vision a bit blury. So she just notice other cops arriving outside and securing the area around her car as if it was involved in a murder. They just want to hold back the reporters and newspapers, but she's not really resonable right now.

"Why?" she then suddendly asks. "Why him? He was going to get a safer job, maybe just in the office or going security for some kids place. Why him?" she still stares at the cup, but the question is defnitly directed at Billie.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

June quickly reaches a dead end and doubles back down the corridor to find that, while he was absorbed in the book thing, the lights in the main hall seem to have come on. Since all of the remaining books here are either unlabeled or labeled with pseudo-random non-alphabetical symbols, it soon becomes clear that that's the way to go for now. It's pretty easy to follow the light back despite this area's labyrinthine layout.

As he crosses the curtain that closed off this section, he's spotted by a man clinging to one of the wheeled ladders, putting a book away on one of the high shelves. "Oh! Er. Checking out?"

He climbs down with all the grace of a gangly klutz who has slipped off of ladders before and likely will again. By the incandescent lights hanging restlessly from the library's high ceiling, June can see a goatee, spectacles, and greasy blond hair hanging into the man's eyes as he motions her to what looks like a reference desk in a nearby corner.

"Er. Name? When did you, er, first go in there?" He pulls a book out from under the desk and opens it up. "Er. Did anyone give you a pass?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

[QUOTE=Purple Eagle;24675569][Red Zone Lab]

Felandria will return to what might be a humorous sight. The police are arriving, starting to lead the victims out to safety, with another detective coordinating them on sweeping the area... and there stands Rosie, leaning against a wall and sleeping.

"Huh?" She transitions quickly from sleepiness to fully awake, and smiles once Fel reveals what she's found. "By golly, I've never had an immovable rod before! Can I have them? You can give me one of yours so we'll both have one of each pair!" She suggests.

"Come, we should go outside and let these guys do their jobs." She nods a greeting to the other detective, a gruff-looking dwarven man, who smiles and nods back. The dwarf notices how Fel and Rosie interact with each other, nods and gives a thumbs-up, then continues what he's doing. "I already told him what to expect, and I expect I'll have a report to write up later. Even if we didn't catch her, we did a good job rescuing these poor people."

I’d say that’s an utterly delightful idea, dear.

Felandria gives Rosie one of each of the rods.

They really are extremely useful.

For example, next time you need a nap, you can use them to set up a nice comfy hammock!

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

21. - Top - End - #201

[Plaza Park]

"Oi, that's a great idea!" says pixie number one.

"Oh yeah I like that idea tons. Whatsa boogie know about makin' kids happy though?" the second asks.

"Beats me. But there ain't any kids for bein' happy around here. That's why we're gatherin' up all the happy HERE so we can grant kids wishes in other places!" pixie one explains.

Oh.

Well.

That would explain why everyone is so miserable isn't it?

The pixies are stealing their joy to power... wish granting?

[Cormorant House]

"Huh? Yeah I'm fine why wouldn't I be? This is- Oh, right yeah. You're a normie this isn't your jam," Magdalene replies with a shrug and the vaguest hint of concern. "Yeah I deal with this kind (rose) all the time. It's no biggie."

As for the couches? Despite any sane sense of logic the bits of stale food are eaten on the spot.

What? No one else is eating it. Gotta regain your stamina somehow.

The coins are pocketed and then-

Well. Rancid meat stink. Mags doesn't so much as blink at it.

"Hey we're gunna have to clear that out to get back down stairs so stand back a bit okay?" she says to Billie. Once she's sure Billie is out of the way she'll hold up her left hand toward the flesh heap. One arcane motion later and seven twisting tendrils of livid ruby light that definitely look like they end in ravenous maws leap from her arm and begin noisily devouring the pile of meat. One can see little chunks traveling up the length of them and vanishing when they reach her arm.

Om nom nom.

As if anticipating the cop's protestation she comments, "Hey, uh, just so you aren't freaking out this doesn't even break top ten grossest things I've eaten."

Oh, well. That's good to know.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

[Cormorant House]

Magdalene's commentary was doing little to lessen the detective's building anxiety.

With a determined expression, she will sling the arbalest over her shoulder before heading across the room.

Whatever horrific thing this demented teenager was planning on doing to the corpse mound would have to be done far away from her. Billie will take a moment here to update her recording device with the story so far. She's concise and methodical as she recounts various details, emphasizing only what is necessary. It was something she'd done a hundred thousand times, and it made her feel secure. As she finishes up, the detective will take another swig from her hip flask before inspecting the attic.

Was there an alternative exit? Anything her more sophisticated sense for detective work would find?

She finally mutters something towards Magdalene as she searches.

"Do you know what it was?" Her tone is neutral. Icy.

Naomi's Flat

Naomi frowns and glances downwards, as clear an answer as any.

It's quite apparent from her body language that she was unhappy with her current state.

Finally, she answers properly. "I don't know what it was. Or is, rather." Disturbing images flash through her mind. There are terrible things seared into her consciousness, entities and worlds never meant for mortal eyes. "I can hear it. All the time."

"It never stops."
    She grimaces. "With you until the end, and on."

This was becoming somewhat of a character study, it seems.

The longer Rosie spoke, the more Ms. Bansford found problematic. But then, her heart was in it.

With a small sigh, Billie will respond gently to the younger woman's line of questioning. "You don't need to prove anything to anyone." She goes on to explain herself further, recollecting something she had been told when she started her work with the force. "Never work for recognition. Do work worthy of it." She won't react much to the sensation of the younger woman's hand upon her shoulder, but she will glance towards her at this point. With a small smile, she'll rest a hand on Rosie's thigh. It's clear by the look in her eyes that she was concerned. "I know you will. So just let it happen, alright?"

She seems amused at Rosie's request for mentorship. "You're very sweet."

"What does 'mentorship' mean to you, Ms. Thorne?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-26 at 01:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203

[Net Cafe]

The printer does have wireless.
    It's not that hard to connect to.

And, Marin will probably have to study the book first before getting a video-game skill boost.

As they wait for it to print, Marin pulls out her phone. "Yeah, I've got one right here," she says. "Here, I'll send you my contact info."
    Which, she will do.

Oh, good! The lights!
    That makes it a lot easier to read the titles...which is kind-of pointless, because they're not really labeled well, anyway. Or in other languages. Not finding any books that look useful just from the cover, he just keeps on looking.

Until he meets the klutzy man. "Oh, um. Hi," he says. "...Haven't really found anything interesting yet," answering the first question.

June goes to the nearby reference desk. "Um...Minerva." The goatee man asked for June's name, right? After saying it, he wonders if he should have said 'June' instead. Or should he have said 'Nikki'? But...it probably doesn't matter. Surely not everybody can be as weird as that book. Gesturing in that direction, June says, "Well. I just recently went there. And...no, no pass. Didn't see anyone around."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

[Slums - Patton Publications]

Sure enough, this decrepit panhandler had started to foam at the mouth.

Definitely not a good sign. He opens to mouth to respond, but promptly vomits all over himself. He starts to fall out of his chair, now.

No one steps closer to help.

Ms. Bansford will wait with her, focusing purely on the moment at hand.

She does not check her phone nor busy herself with any sort of activity. No, this was a moment to be felt.

A moment she would remember, always. Serving the public was so much more than investigative work and gunplay. It was delivering terrible news. It was quiet contemplation, moments of heartache spent in cold patrol cars. It was never glamorous, and it had nothing to do with fame or recognition. Billie will reach over to Jane and attempt to very gently rest her large hand atop the officer's own.

Billie doesn't answer, simply staring forward. Her presence should be comforting, however.

There was no answer to 'why'. These things simply were.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-26 at 01:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Cormorant House

Normally, eating any of that nasty meat would confer a suitably nasty curse, but Maggie isn't really eating any of it herself, so she's probably fine. As for Billie, she can find moth-eaten old clothes, yellowed books of history, science, and literature, and dozens upon dozens of knicknacks, all of which are probably useless. In the meantime, the meat is cleared away from the stairs so they can be used again.

Naomi's Flat

Jade looks increasingly concerned. "Have you talked to anyone else about it? You don't have to face that alone." Jade suddenly wants to hug Naomi and say everything is going to be all right. Is that a mothering instinct coming through? There's a strange thought. She restrains herself. "There are specialists to help people deal with that sort of thing."
    Jade looks increasingly concerned. "Have you asked anyone for help about that? You don't have to face it alone.
    Last edited by bc56; 2020-08-26 at 10:04 AM.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #206

[Cormorant House]

Whether or not Magdalene could be considered 'fine' is a matter of debate.

But hey!

At least the flesh heap is gone right?

It's pretty rough for her, all things considered. Mags is always hungry. ALWAYS hungry. The Hart takes everything she eats and feeds enough strength back to her through their pact to prevent her from becoming weak and sickly. But as a result she can eat anything that is or was alive without fear of disease or poison. Or, apparently, curses. Whether or not the curse can do anything to the Hart is a completely different question.

Honestly Mags isn't totally sure she could describe what the Hart is if she were really pressed. A god? A monster? The only thing she knows for sure is that it is ravenously hungry.

"What, the flesh heap?"
    Magdalene asks, glancing back at the cop. Then a shrug. "I dunno. We get zombies and stuff back home. All of the gods or their cults or something make 'em. Sometimes it's just, like, a dead dude shambling around. Sometimes it's a big amalgam of different things are fused together like that one. But you can always sorta tell which god's will is animating them, right? 'cuz of different things. Like if they've got crystals growing out of them or, like, branches. Or a (flowering) hole to nothing for a face. There's this sun god, right? That meat thing kinda reminded me of of his stuff. All deserts and sand and heat and meat that's like jerky."

A few moments pass.

"God some real jerky would be great right now."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

[Net Cafe]

Svetlana connects to the printer and sends the files to it for printing. While they wait for it to be done - which will take a while, unless the printer is so high-tech it prints as fast as Svetlana expects - they exchange numbers.

In Svetlana's case, she generates a holographic HUD in front of her face and saves Marin's contact info, after which she'll call just to make sure. "And that's it! Feel free to call if you have any questions, or if you are just looking to chat. I would very much like to be more than just a teacher, but also a friend." She offers her hand to Marin for shaking.

Rosie opens her mouth as if to say something, but words don't come out. She drops her gaze and fixes it on something on the ground. "I know... and yet, I must prove to myself. Not that I don't believe in myself, but I always strive to be better than I am, in order to reach my best self." Then Billie says her next words, and she falls silent. Work worthy of recognition? That's exactly what she's been doing! Yet, to see it verbalized that way silences her.

She smiles at the motherly sensation she gets from Billie's hand on her thigh, and sighs in acceptance. "Yes, ma'am." She sees the concern in Billie's eyes, and takes her hand off Billie's shoulder so it can come and rest on top of the orc's hand, a gesture meant to show that she appreciates the concern. "'Tis the will of D in my veins, perhaps. We can take much more punishment than others... I'm aware most in my position would have long burnt out." She says, with a small laugh.

What does mentorship mean to her? Hmm... "I mean, I've been a detective for 4 years now... they call me a shooting star because I'm so eager to work each day, to the point I get results. A shooting star burns out early, though... but not us with the Will of D." She takes a moment to grin silently, nodding to herself. After a deep breath, she turns to face Billie. "By asking you to mentor me, I am asking for your guidance in being the best detective I can be, both in the field and out of it. I'd also like to learn some fighting moves from you." Will that suffice as an explanation, she wonders?

[Red Zone Lab]

"This is so exciting!" Rosie says as she leads Felandria outside the lab, thinking of all the stuff she can do with her pair of immovable rods. "Or, a ladder! Or, monkey-bar! The possibilities, Fel!" She pauses to gaze at her girlfriend some more, and sheathes/pockets the rods.

Placing her arms on Fel's waist, she smiles brightly. "This has been fun, Fel. I should escort you back to the Olympian, after which I'll have to stop by the precinct to tidy up some things related to this case, but first..." And then she goes for a passionate kiss, after which she just hugs her girlfriend for a good long while!
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Ms. Bansford finds the younger woman's touch quite comforting.

She is a very tactile, sensory person. A lot about a person could become apparent through touch, after all.

Billie settles back against the bench, facing forward once more. This was cathartic, the sensation of her hand against another's. The smell of wet earth, the beating of rain upon glass. When the younger woman mentions proving herself, she shakes her head slowly. Her tone is soft as she corrects her. "No, you don't." Billie breathes in through her nose, savoring the scent of the garden as she turns her head back to face Rosie. Though her brows are furrowed, her eyes are kind. "You've filled your head with stories, Ms. Thorne." It was endemic. The glamorization of the occupation had complicated everything.

She continues to look Rosie in the eye. "Let go of who you think you're supposed to be." This is a difficult thing to do, and will likely take an extraordinary bit of effort for the younger woman to successfully perform as instructed. This was the first step, the most important measure by which one would hone their will. It was Ms. Bansford's first lesson, and not one she could teach. The burden was on Rosie's shoulders. "Come as you are, and know that you are enough."

"Do this for me, and I'll show you what I know."
    She brushes her thumb up against Rosie's palm at this.

[Cormorant House]

There was nothing to be found here. An unfortunate part of the job.

At least the process of searching the area brought her some degree of comfort, which was precisely what she needed.

There was something reassuring about sticking to protocol. The mundanity of procedure kept her sanity secure. With a determined look upon her face, Billie returns to Magdalene's side. She's taken the time to attach the quiver of bolts do her belt, having already slung the arbalest over her shoulder. "Guess it doesn't matter what it was." Rather than carry the medieval weapon around, Billie retrieves her revolver. It would not do to waste bolts, but she had plenty of bullets.

She primes her revolver with a click before continuing her sentiment.

"Just that it's dead." She scowls. "Let's go."

Naomi's Flat

Naomi was somewhat worried that her story would produce this result.

She didn't like when people doted over her, especially not about something like this. It was her burden.

The younger woman will shrug before reaching for a nearby pizza box. She'll start to finish off a half eaten piece of day old pizza. It's clearly not very good, but she doesn't seem to complain. "I went to a therapist, right after it happened." Her eyes sort of glaze over as she recounts this particular tale. "I don't know what she did, but... it didn't like her much." This was getting harder and harder to talk about. She still felt guilty about it all.

Best just rip off the bandaid all at once. "She started hearing it too, after a while."

"They found her dead, a few weeks after our first session."
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-26 at 02:04 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

[Plaza Park]

Beth resumes her impatient frown when Hector shoots her down, then smirks when the pixies seem to take the bait anyway, then kind of settles on the expression you make when your teacher writes something unexpected on the blackboard and now you can barely listen to their explanation because you're just trying to parse it. She opens her mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. The phrase the happy shorted out her language-doing thing.

Yet, she thinks she kind of gets it? The notion that human happiness is a zero-sum game plagued her for years, and she knows that even normal humans are liable to think that way sometimes. So of course the idea could manifest into a material form when a monster latches onto it.

So, she shakes her head. "That's cheating. You need to help the kids make happiness, not just redistribute it. Those are the rules!"

--

"Er. Minerva?" The librarian flips through the sign-in book. "So, er, you didn't sign in? Er, I guess that's fine. Just, er, remember to sign in next time. You can... er, people get lost in that section sometimes. And, er, the books don't really, er, be in normal spacetime? So..."

He clearly doesn't understand it very well. He just knows it's his job to make sure people sign in and out, among other things.

"Er! Is there anything else? Er, I can help you with?"

30. - Top - End - #210

"Um. No, I didn't. Sorry. I'll make sure to do it next time," he promises.
    He pauses for a moment. Should he still sign out, though? Does that matter?

"Oh! Yeah! You're a librarian, right?" he asks, more as an introduction to his actual question. "So...I...I recently came to the Nexus, right? So I've actually been trying to find books to help me understand how different and in which ways the things are here from where I'm from." June starts counting with his fingers, touching/pointing each new finger that he holds up as he lists off something. "For example, spirits, demons and fiends, names, vampires, mind control and different ways to fight against it, and so on. You know what section or what books I should look at for that kind of stuff?"

[Net Cafe]

Marin's phone is on silent, but a notification that she's being called pops up.
    She doesn't answer it, but just lets it silently ring out.
    "Okay. I'll...call you if I have questions," Marin says. She pauses, and then holds out her hand to shake.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2020-08-26 at 03:35 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.