New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: So Where's The Space Alien Invasion?

No sentient creatures will come to Earth until the epidemic is over.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    No sentient creatures will come to Earth until the epidemic is over.
    Excellent news!

That means we probably never have to worry about an alien invasion.

3. - Top - End - #63

Yeah, a sentient species adapted for space entering an atmosphere would probably pop like a species from the benthic deeps brought to sea level. Now a sapient species, that's a different kettle of fish.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, a sentient species adapted for space entering an atmosphere would probably pop like a species from the benthic deeps brought to sea level. Now a sapient species, that's a different kettle of fish.
    Curious, until you said this, I didn't know that those words are different.
    Here's what I found:

Sentience means the ability to feel things, the ability to perceive things. Any living thing that has some degree of consciousness is sentient, including insects, lizards, dogs, dolphins and human beings. The word sentience is derived from the Latin word sentientem, which means feeling. The adjective form is sentient. The word sentience is often misused to mean a creature that thinks.
    Sapience means the ability to think, the capacity for intelligence, the ability to acquire wisdom. The scientific name for modern man is Homo sapiens. Sapience only describes a living thing that is able to think. The word sapience is derived from the Latin word sapientia, which means intelligence or discernment. The adjective form is sapient. Note that sentience is often misused in place of the word sapience.
    So, there IS a difference. Well, always good to learn something new.

5. - Top - End - #65

Always good to help someone learn something new. Which is one of the reasons kids are fun.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    2020 is a trainwreck with the COVID-19 and all the crazy stuff that's happening in the world. But there's one important element to add, where's space alien invasion? I'm looking for an actual space alien invasion but I can't find any.
    To quote one of those silly sci-fi movies with aliens in them.

Earth? Why would you want to go to that ****hole?!?!?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Um... they just condemned the Arecibo Observatory.
    I have a feeling sometime in the next few weeks some benevolent alien ship is going pull over next to our planet and be like, "Hey, you guys need a hand?"
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

8. - Top - End - #68

That's been coming since...Hurricane Maria, I think.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zarionofarabel View Post
    To quote one of those silly sci-fi movies with aliens in them.

Earth? Why would you want to go to that ****hole?!?!?
    I don't blame the aliens for not invading Earth. Because this planet is a huge dumpster fire.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I don't blame the aliens for not invading Earth. Because this planet is a huge dumpster fire.
    Yep. They took a good look at the planet and said "Nope. No way. I. Am. Outa Here!"
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yep. They took a good look at the planet and said "Nope. No way. I. Am. Outa Here!"
    Yes. The space aliens said "Oh hell no!" for our planet.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

12. - Top - End - #72

As long as they aren't winding up a Giant Space Rock to put us out of our misery, I'm okay with that.

13. - Top - End - #73

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    As long as they aren't winding up a Giant Space Rock to put us out of our misery, I'm okay with that.
    You know, it's funny that you mention this cause years and years ago a friend proposed a similar question about space aliens invading. As we were discussing why not I casually mentioned that they would not need to as they could just sit out in the Oort Cloud and nudge rocks until one happened to hit Earth. Considering how more and more rocks seem to be getting closer and closer to hitting the Earth I'm beginning to think I might have been on to something. 🥺

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just outside Piatra Neamt in Romania, apparently.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Just outside Piatra Neamt in Romania, apparently.
    And before that somewhere in the deserts of Utah. My guess is that the Romania one is either a copycat of the Utah one or this is some ARG stunt.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-12-03 at 11:32 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76

Apparently it was a TikTok thing.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Apparently it was a TikTok thing.
    Where did you hear that? I haven't seen anything saying where or who it came from. Especially since one just popped up in California two days ago. As far as I can tell it's not a TikTok thing, because it's not an anything at the moment.

Also, the Utah Monolith was taken down, allegedly, by mountaineers. "Athletes" the news is calling them. The one in California was also taken down but I can't discuss why because of Forum rules.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zarionofarabel View Post
    Considering how more and more rocks seem to be getting closer and closer to hitting the Earth I'm beginning to think I might have been on to something. 🥺
    One would think that a species that can travel interstellar space would have better aim.

Heck, with rudimentary computers and slide rulers, we lobbed two probes so accurately that they got all of their tasks done, and got gravity boosts to hit their targets over a decade after launch...

Not to mention all the other probes we've successfully launched since...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    One would think that a species that can travel interstellar space would have better aim.

Heck, with rudimentary computers and slide rulers, we lobbed two probes so accurately that they got all of their tasks done, and got gravity boosts to hit their targets over a decade after launch...

Drunk alien teens taking potshots?

"No, no, Zorg, do it backwards, one tentacle, over the shoulder!"

20. - Top - End - #80

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post

Don't forget about all the ones that didn't make it though. How many craters have me we made on Mars?

Maybe it's just one poor sap doing the math freehand!

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

Drunk alien teens taking potshots?

"No, no, Zorg, do it backwards, one tentacle, over the shoulder!"
    It's a betting match and they have to throw them while blindfolded!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Where did you hear that? I haven't seen anything saying where or who it came from. Especially since one just popped up in California two days ago. As far as I can tell it's not a TikTok thing, because it's not an anything at the moment.

Also, the Utah Monolith was taken down, allegedly, by mountaineers. "Athletes" the news is calling them. The one in California was also taken down but I can't discuss why because of Forum rules.
    Well the one in California was actually pretty close to me...and well since at least a few metal shops played around with making these things and posting them online as joke social media things (some of which got into local alt-news sites...as jokes mostly) its not very surprising one got taken out to the local boonies and left there for a few photo ops. . . nor that some of the other locals ...well, did what they did.

also now in UK, and another in SoCal

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    Well the one in California was actually pretty close to me...and well since at least a few metal shops played around with making these things and posting them online as joke social media things (some of which got into local alt-news sites...as jokes mostly) its not very surprising one got taken out to the local boonies and left there for a few photo ops. . . nor that some of the other locals ...well, did what they did.

Yeah, I think at this point we've reached "Obelisking," being the hot new trend sweeping the world's teens bored sculptors and metalworkers. I'm still curious about the one in Utah, which was apparently sitting there for several years before anyone noticed it, which suggests that it was at least a somewhat long-term art project, and probably not a viral marketing stunt.
    Last edited by Ajustusdaniel; 2020-12-14 at 05:44 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

My first thought for that is someone put it in place while shooting a film and 'forgot' to go pick it up. But then we have a robust short film community in my part of the country.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post

Oh, I've no doubt that it's a bunch of copy cats at this point. It's not difficult to manufacture though as expressed below, transport and time and the cost will keep every Tom, Dick and Harry from going out and doing it. It was an amusing moment in an over all crappy year. I'd love to know the truth of it all, just because that's even more exciting! I doubt we ever will.

Yeah, I think at this point we've reached "Obelisking," being the hot new trend sweeping the world's teens bored sculptors and metalworkers. I'm still curious about the one in Utah, which was apparently sitting there for several years before anyone noticed it, which suggests that it was at least a somewhat long-term art project, and probably not a viral marketing stunt.
    Cost of materials, time and transpiration will probably make it not something that takes off well. Still cool.

Also still waiting for Roger to prove evidence that it was, in fact, something TikTok related. I've continued to follow the story and I still haven't seen anything to make that the case.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

They're waiting for a gap month without anything else in it

27. - Top - End - #87

MindFlayer

And now there's a gingerbread monolith in San Francisco. Probably not space aliens, though I vaguely remember something about aliens with a thing for ginger. Elves or other fair folk seem more likely. Or witches.

(Had an undeniable urge to bake gingerbread today.)

28. - Top - End - #88

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Excellent news!

That means we probably never have to worry about an alien invasion.
    We might have some small and localized invasions in say.. New Zealand and Australia and suchlike..
    So I should probably watch out for that..
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    And now there's a gingerbread monolith in San Francisco. Probably not space aliens, though I vaguely remember something about aliens with a thing for ginger. Elves or other fair folk seem more likely. Or witches.

(Had an undeniable urge to bake gingerbread today.)
    In Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, the males of the alien species that invades Earth during World War II responds to ginger like an addictive drug. It also artificially induces mating season in females.