Thread: The outpost

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The outpost

Runa
    AC: 16 | HP: 25 of 25
    Passive Perception: 12 | Passive Insight: 12
    Conditions:

"Yes, let's." Runa stows the satchel under her cloak and follows Tariq up, giving Zand a small quirk of a smile as they pass him on the stairs.

"Causing trouble, Master Irontooth?" she drawls with mock exasperation, entering the kitchen to see Darhsan ogling Ash while Azzalix glares daggers at him. "No bad thing to be on guard, but best not to put people on the wrong kind."

Then Zand re-enters the room with the bottle of wine. "Ah, Zand!" she exclaims. "Good, the whole family's here. I was hoping you could explain this—and while you're at it maybe tell me why the bottles in your cellar are filled with poison." Drawing the satchel from under her cloak with a flourish, she dumps it on the table, letting its contents spill out. "A hidden cache of such obviously high-end equipment is suspicious enough, but placing poison in any kind of foodstuff is tantamount to murder in this kingdom."

Runa sits down, fixing Zand, then Cara and finally Ash with her coldest stare. "Part of me hopes you three are responsible, just because at least then we're not facing some mysterious enemy. But jumping to conclusions never helped anyone, so let's hear your side of it."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    Runa
    Conditions:

"Yes, let's." Runa stows the satchel under her cloak and follows Tariq up, giving Zand a small quirk of a smile as they pass him on the stairs.

"Causing trouble, Master Irontooth?" she drawls with mock exasperation, entering the kitchen to see Darhsan ogling Ash while Azzalix glares daggers at him. "No bad thing to be on guard, but best not to put people on the wrong kind."

Then Zand re-enters the room with the bottle of wine. "Ah, Zand!" she exclaims. "Good, the whole family's here. I was hoping you could explain this—and while you're at it maybe tell me why the bottles in your cellar are filled with poison." Drawing the satchel from under her cloak with a flourish, she dumps it on the table, letting its contents spill out. "A hidden cache of such obviously high-end equipment is suspicious enough, but placing poison in any kind of foodstuff is tantamount to murder in this kingdom."

Runa sits down, fixing Zand, then Cara and finally Ash with her coldest stare. "Part of me hopes you three are responsible, just because at least then we're not facing some mysterious enemy. But jumping to conclusions never helped anyone, so let's hear your side of it."
    Zand looks squarely at Runa. " I know nothing about bootles of poison in the basement just three kegs of pure grain alchohol, as for that bag, I have never seen it and if I had I would have used what I could and sold the rest." He looks at his wife and then his daughter. "They have done nothing wrong, I am responsible for the upkeep of this outpost, if you have the authority to relieve me of my duties then do so, young lady."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Still looking at his spellbook, Kier's eyebrows raise. Well that escalated quickly.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Azzalix

Things were much simpler wandering through the forests collecting medicinal herbs. Now people are wanting to eat Nibbles and throwing bags of stuff on the dinner table.

"May I examine these bottles you speak of?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I doubt they are lying but I will make a roll just in case.
    Insight: (1d20+4)[10]
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa
    Conditions:

"Don't call me young lady, Zand, unless you'd prefer I address you as 'old man'," says Runa icily. "But while I do have that happy power, it is not mine alone."

She looks around the room at her colleagues. "So what do we all think? Anyone in favor of Zand's guilt or innocence? Azzalix, you might as well check those bottles—if he stops you, he's guilty anyway."

Show
    Is Tariq still going to make an Insight check with Runa's help? If yes, then ignore what's below, but if no, then Runa will make her own.

Insight: (1d20+2)[7]

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

" I am 48 years old if that makes me an old man in your eyes then so be it. You can look at any bottle in the basement you want. I know nothing about poisons. " Zand says looking at Tuna.

7. - Top - End - #37

BlackDragon

Post Re: The outpost

Kier lets out a sigh, and closes his spellbook. To Runa, he says, "I'm not in favor of firing anyone who can potentially be of help, especially in the middle of nowhere. We are here to build an institution of solidarity, not harass the only caretaker who's stuck around ever since this place was otherwise abandoned. Even if there was significant incontrovertible evidence that he was aware of illegal or harmful contraband, I'd be willing to weigh years of dedicated upkeep against such charges and still rule in his favor, were the king to appoint me a judge. But I'm not a judge, and neither are you."
    Then he turns to Zand, "Don"t get me wrong, this looks pretty suspicious to our eyes as newcomers. But I'd really like to avoid getting off on the wrong foot any more than we already have. If the accusations turn out to be false, I apologize in advance. If they're not, the consequences will have to wait until this fort is more secure anyway... And we would have to immediately appoint a new cook." He grins wryly at his own joke.
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-09-24 at 09:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Tariq ibn Al-Quershi, Mulhorandi exile
    AC: 16 | HP: 21 of 21 | Ki: 3 of 3
    Passive Perception: 15 | Passive Insight: 15
    Conditions: None.

Tariq watched the exchange, almost passively, his eyes taking in their hosts actions, and his reactions, to Runa's accusations. As Kier rebuffed Runa, then turned his attention back to the man, he watched keenly. The exchange had provided him with a useful degree of information about the man, and his response to the threats and accusations.

"You understand, of course, that my companions and I, simply by being here, are placed at risk. And so we must ascertain the loyalty, and intent, of the Crown's servants, yourself, your family, even one another, before we can properly do our job." He nodded towards the satchel, "An odd assortment of extremely valuable gear, the kind which may be used by the Crown's agents, discovered beneath a flagstone in the store rooms, is ... curious. A cache, hidden to assist the Crown's agents, or the belongings of agents waylaid because they were not as cautious as our dear Runa."

"These are considerations we must take, for the Crown has supplied precious little, in either directive, or information regarding this keep, or our goals. Preferring instead, to allow us to excercise judgement, and wisdom, in the dispensation of our duty. Do not take the accusations personal, Maester, we seek to ensure, firstly, our safety, and then the safety of the Crown and it's loyal agents." A pause, "And that includes you and yours, does it not?"

Spoiler: Out of Character Action
    Show
    OOC: Sorry for the late reply, rolling Insight, with Advantage for Runa's aid, Insight +5, (2d20)[9][11](20) for a total of 16.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-09-25 at 06:43 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Azzalix

After going down to where the others said they found the poison, Azzalix opens her Book of Shadows and begins chanting quietly.

Show
    Casting Detect Poison and Disease as a ritual. Let me know when you feel 10 minutes have gone by and I can return to the rest of the party with an answer.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

”Erhh!“ The barbarian grumbles deep and loudly, not amused by the conversation, as he stands up tall. At his full height, he flexes his muscles and looks down on the old man as he moves to tower over him.
    Darhsan snatches the wine bottle from the mans hands and bites out the cork spitting it to the ground. He sniffs the opening, taking in the aroma of the liquid and then brings it to his lips and throws back his head to chug a large mouthful.

”Ahhh, not so bad old man.“ he says as a smile erupts across his face. His intimidating demeanour instantly softens and he lets out a slight chuckle.
    ”Just to be safe, no one else should drink tonight. ‘cept maybe Ash.“ he nods and guestures to her with the bottle.
    ”And if I don’t wake tomorrow, well...“ he turns and heads for the stairs.
    the world will be a better place.

With bottle of wine in hand, Darhsan heads to the roof of the lookout to, well lookout.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Azzalix

After going down to where the others said they found the poison, Azzalix opens her Book of Shadows and begins chanting quietly.

Show
    Casting Detect Poison and Disease as a ritual. Let me know when you feel 10 minutes have gone by and I can return to the rest of the party with an answer.
    No poison is found in the basement.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Zand sits down and ladles out stew into three bowls. "Family sit and give grace ." The two ladies sit down immediately and bow. Zand starts his blessing naming the God of Justice (lawful neutral) and ends with the Mother of All (Chaotic Neutral). He starts to eat and then Cara starts and lastly Ash who seems to be looking up at the ceiling when ever Zand is looking down at his bowl.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The family finished their dinner and Cara starts to wash the dishes. Zand makes his way outside towards the barn. Ash heads upstairs.

Ash greets Darhsan. "Can I join you? "

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Darhsan was on the far end of the roof, furtherest from the ladder, and was using the arrow slit to casually relieve himself while still gulping wine when Ash appeared.
    Beside him two bows rested on the floor along with a quiver of arrows. Surprisingly the bottle was still yet empty.
    ”O’course“ He replies in his warm gruff voice, finishing up and turning around to give her that daring devilish grin. He placed down the bottle and notioned towards it, offering it, as he picked up a bow, drew some arrows and moved to the next arrow slit.

”Can you shoot?“ he asks, swiftly drawing, loading and releasing an arrow at an unknown target somewhere outside.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-10-06 at 05:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Azzalix

After spending several minutes on her spell and finding no poison Azzalix returns to the dining area and reports to the rest of the group.
    "I found no poison, only alcohol."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holy-hunter View Post
    Darhsan was on the far end of the roof, furtherest from the ladder, and was using the arrow slit to casually relieve himself while still gulping wine when Ash appeared.
    Beside him two bows rested on the floor along with a quiver of arrows. Surprisingly the bottle was still yet empty.
    ”O’course“ He replies in his warm gruff voice, finishing up and turning around to give her that daring devilish grin. He placed down the bottle and notioned towards it, offering it, as he picked up a bow, drew some arrows and moved to the next arrow slit.

”Can you shoot?“ he asks, swiftly drawing, loading and releasing an arrow at an unknown target somewhere outside.
    Ash moves closer and gets in front of the arrow slit. Can you hit any target? she says a few words and gestures while holding something in her hand . Four glowing balls of light can be seen 120 feet away on the left side of the mountain.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Runa
    Conditions:

Runa doesn't eat. After all, it would be unwise to accept food from people who might be poisoners.

"Really?" she says when Azzalix makes her report. "Well, that's a little embarrassing." Her eyes flick briefly to Cara, still washing the dishes. "You're sure there was no poison at all?"

18. - Top - End - #48

BlackDragon

As the others filter out of the room, Kier decides to get up and find a quiet spot to perform a ritual of his own. He conjures an unseen servant, and gives it the task of tidying up around him; wherever he goes, dirt is dispersed from the floor, furniture, rugs, and drapes, plus any cleaning supplies (carpet soap, scrubbing brush, etc.) or simple tools (hammer and nails, wrench, etc.) that were potentially left out by the caretakers are placed into proper storage.
    A fort is hard to maintain with so few people, and therefore in order to maintain important upkeep tasks they likely had to give up some of the lesser day-to-day chores like dusting for their own safety -- after all, masonry gets cracked by rain and weathered by wind, and it doesn't repair itself.
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-10-18 at 09:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gryffydd65 View Post
    Ash moves closer and gets in front of the arrow slit. Can you hit any target? she says a few words and gestures while holding something in her hand . Four glowing balls of light can be seen 120 feet away on the left side of the mountain.
    Darhsan draws the bow and takes aim, then, lowers it.
    ”Maybe I can, maybe I can’t. What’s in it for me if I do hit your little magic lights?” he asks.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-10-10 at 09:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Azzalix

"There was no poison in the rooms you mentioned. I found some ingredients that can be used to make poisons stored up here with the medical supplies. They were unlabeled."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holy-hunter View Post
    Darhsan draws the bow and takes aim, then, lowers it.
    ”Maybe I can, maybe I can’t. What’s in it for me if I do hit your little magic lights?” he asks.
    A kiss for each one. she says with a flirty smile.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Zand returns from the barn. The horses are fed and groomed. Tomorrow we need to remove any cacti from dry ravine. he looks at all present in the kitchen. Where is Ash?