New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [PF2] IC Rise of the Runelords: Chapter 1

Entros, half-elven ranger

Entros frowned, then shook his head. ”No, not a good eating competition ... a food contest, where local chefs cook their best.

Unless they don’t do that anymore?”
    . He looked up, crestfallen.

OOC - more RP
    Spoiler: Details
    Show
    AC: 17 HP 20 Initiative +2
    Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 Move 30’
    Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Sandpoint (T) +3
    Class: Hunt Prey (gain bonuses against selected prey); Hunter's Edge: Flurry (Multi-attack pen is -3 (-2 w/agile) on 2nd attack, then -6 (-4 w/agile) on third)
    Feats: Natural Ambition (AF, gain 1st lvl class feat); Twin Takedown (CF, attack twice, add damage vs resistance); Gravity Weapon (CF, gain FP1 and ability to cast spell); Natural Medicine (GF, use Nature to Treat Wounds); Fleet (GF, Gain 5’ speed)
    Weapons: Light hammer (+76, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)
    Effects: Low-Light vision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Good to meet you Aeryn. My name is Randal and you will not find me wanting for courage. I'll leave the smarts to you. Evidently you will find me wanting from time to time in terms of strength." Randal chuckled a little to himself, mostly over his earlier embarrassment. "From what I've heard there are some giants in the area that are mobilizing. I've come just in case the townspeople need help with the potential incursion. Can't say I much hate slaying the bastards anyway. You could even say I specialize in it." Randal glances around checking to see if their is anyone in the tavern paying him close attention.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

"You celebrate a harvest? Food is important, but my people only celebrate great battles and great hunts."

The orc turns at Randal's mention of battling giants. "Giants? Yes, giants would provide worthy trophies."
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2020-08-23 at 11:48 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Aeryn thar Varendiil, Human Evoker
    AC: 15 | HP: 15 | Class DC: 17
    Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +5 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
    Conditions: None.

Aeryn looked approvingly at Randal, "Giants you say?" He tore off the crust of a loaf left on the table with the latest round of ale. "Those are tough bastards, if you make a habit of crossing blade with them, you must be useful in a fight. Could use that next time we go into the field, eh?" With that he gave Torrik a shot in the shoulder. "Last time me and old Torrik here went into the field, we had heard a rumor of some Thassilonian ruins, figured we might be able to get a charcoal of any runes that hadn't been scoured clean by wind and rain." He chuckled, "Instead we almost ended up in some goblin pots, had to jump into the Velashu River, and we got swept out into the Bay."

Another drink, and a laugh, "Half drowned better than cooked and eaten."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Entros nodded faintly as the others spoke. After a moment, he spoke. ”Giants? Near Sandpoint? I know they’re on the Steppes, but haven’t heard they’ve come this far south. Ogres, yes, and they’re as close to giants as I’d like to see up front. Here’s hoping we never see one. Likely we’ll end up drowning in a pot of boiling water ... AND cooked and eaten... “

OOC - nothing more yet.
    Show
    Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Sandpoint (T) +3
    Class: Hunt Prey (gain bonuses against selected prey); Hunter's Edge: Flurry (Multi-attack pen is -3 (-2 w/agile) on 2nd attack, then -6 (-4 w/agile) on third)
    Feats: Natural Ambition (AF, gain 1st lvl class feat); Twin Takedown (CF, attack twice, add damage vs resistance); Gravity Weapon (CF, gain FP1 and ability to cast spell); Natural Medicine (GF, use Nature to Treat Wounds); Fleet (GF, Gain 5’ speed)
    Weapons: Light hammer (+76, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kabbi Bronzedew, Dwarven Druid

"A good harvest is reason enough to celebrate, especially for folks that had to endure all the unpleasantness in the past few years. And it would be a sorry excuse for a festival without a feast!"

Kabbi's face darkened when the topic shifted to giant-kin. The blasted ogres are bad enough without something even bigger and uglier showing up. Let's hope these are just rumors." The dwarf sighed, leaned back and patted his belly. "All this talk of cooking is making me hungry. The inn-keeper mentioned something about lunch, didn't he?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Before he returns to the kitchen, Gressil responds to Entros, "Ah! I misunderstood ya! Aye. The taverns 'ere in Sandpoint are cookin' their finest meals for the festival. I'd reckon that the food'll start being served soon, but I must finish preparing here, so I'll see y'all at the feast!" Gressil says jovially as he leaves the group to their drinks.

He is absent for your conversation about giants and giant-kin.
    Last edited by Faolan7; 2020-08-25 at 05:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

GnomeWizardGuy

Torrik grunts in response to the dwarf's explanation, not really having anything more to add to the subject. Once he gets his second ale, he leans back in his chair to enjoy it and to study this strange gathering of people.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

"Well if my call to action against giants isn't unanimous, what are all of you here to accomplish more specifically?" Randal attempts to flag down a second mug of ale seeing Torrik relax drinking his.

10. - Top - End - #40

GnomeWizardGuy

"I come here to learn of powerful and strange beasts which I plan to hunt."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Aeryn considered his motivations very seriously for a moment, "Accumulation of wealth, power, and knowledge." Another drink of ale, a furrowed brow, "And a score to settle," a crooked smile, "in time." He stood up, draining his tankard, "Now shall we find the meals spread out for the festival? I'm not one to give thanks to the gods," a pause, "for they are far too cruel and capricious, but I will savor their fare at the banquet table, eh?"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Entros eyed the others quietly, not quite sure what to make of this odd group of folk. However, he did get a free ale and marked a couple of faces for later. Perhaps friendly, perhaps plotting their inevitable betrayal, who was to know? But for now, food did sound delicious. Even if this were a plot to poison his meal, he'd accept his fate if it came by way of one of Ameiko Kaijitsu's famous offerings.

Draining his drink, he rose and nodded to the door. ”Best we head to the Rusty Dragon. Some say save the best for last, but I say grab what you can now, for who among us knows what Death is plotting? 'Sides, the lines get way too long if you don't go early, and you don't want her to run out.

Gods or no, you'll be thanking someone or something after you try one of Ms. Kaijitsu's Festival meals.“
    He said the last with a nod to Aeryn.

OOC - Moving along. Figure we could head for the Rusty Inn first, then go from there
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43

GnomeWizardGuy

"Then we shall feast tonight, and pray that tomorrow may bring us glorious battle."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Yep, I'm ready to FF to the next scene.
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2020-08-27 at 06:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kabbi Bronzedew, Dwarven Druid

"If the food a thet Rusty Dragon is half as good as you give it credit for, then I must try it. Let's go and see if they're set up!"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You all make your way back to the church square. Upon arriving, you find that many tables and benches have been set up and people are sitting throughout eating. There are also four distinct groups of people on an edge of the square, and a large, covered wagon sits in the middle of the square.

Approaching the groups, you learn that the local taverns are serving food for the festival, free of charge. The Rusty Dragon is serving curry-spiced salmon with winterdrop mead, and has the largest group; The Hagfish is serving lobster chowder; Risa's Place is serving spiced potatoes with cider; and The White Deer is serving peppercorn venison.

16. - Top - End - #46

GnomeWizardGuy

Torrik peels off at the smell of venison, but he seems put off by the large crowd. He isn't afraid of humans individually, but the crowds give him pause.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Torrik pauses near the table for the White Deer, he hears the human male standing behind the table call out to him, "Hey there! Come get a taste of our fresh venison! It was killed only yesterday and is seasoned with the finest peppercorns!"

18. - Top - End - #48

GnomeWizardGuy

Torrik stands back for a few moments to figure out the dynamics of the crowd. And realizing the generally cooperative nature of the line he gets into it himself. As he gets to the table he mimicks the people before him, collecting a plate and utensils which he holds out to recieve the food.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Entros joined the group outside, his nose already alive with the smells of food from all over. He watched as Torrik paused and joined the line at the White Deer. The scout didn’t say anything but kept on his course - he couldn’t see what the food was yet, but his goal was the Rusty Dragon. As he neared the tables set up outside, he began to taste curry on the air. Quickening his stride, he slipped into line as quickly as he could, mouth watering as he saw the perfect filets of salmon lined up on trays.

OOC - Still headed to the tables for the Rusty Dragon.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Knowing nothing of these foods, Randal followed Torrik to stand in line. He awkwardly grabbed the utensils alongside him figuring if he followed Torrik's lead he would only look half as stupid in this unknown environment. He also kept a close eye on the rest of the party, caring little for the crowds and festivities.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Torrik and Randal, you are able to move through the line and get your food fairly quickly. The man behind the table is tall, dark-skinned, and looks remarkably similar to the local sheriff. When you arrive at the table, he gives you a decently sized steak, "Thanks for stopping by! There's more where this came from at the White Deer!"

Entros, compared to the other lines, it takes you some time to move through and get your food. Though this is due to the sheer quantity of people, not inefficiency of the tavern owner. The person behind the counter is a beautiful, exotic-looking woman you know as Ameiko Kaijitsu. When you finally make it to the table, she gives you a plate of salmon and a tankard of mead, "Thank you for coming. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

It had been awhile since Entros had seen Ameiko Kaijitsu, but she seemed the same as ever, if perhaps a bit more worn around the eyes. But weren't they all? He nodded awkwardly, taking the plate and mug, almost fumbling both, but catching his balance before spilling a drop. He mumbled, "Thanks much, ma'am ... best food this side of ... the town, I guess ..."

He would just have to go out on a limb that she hadn't been replaced with a changeling, or wasn't some evil twin hoping to poison the town on their day of celebration! It was plausible ... but the food smelled too good to give it much thought. He glanced around to see he was alone, then shrugged and found a spot to lean against a wall and enjoy his treat.

OOC - Yumm!
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Aeryn recognized that look in Entros' eye, it had been in his own often enough. Truth be told, it still was, he just hid it well. He walked over to the scout, leaned against the wall beside him. "See how you're looking at people, preparing yourself for the worst, you look like a young buck with their legs not yet under them, staring down at the approaching lantern's of a stage coach." He plucked a piece of salmon off of the ranger's plate, popped it into his mouth, "I admire caution, it speaks of a keen mind, but you need to let your guard down once in a while." A smile, but there was something deep in his eyes, hidden memories, "you carry that fear of betrayal around with you long enough, you drive a wedge between yourself and those who could lend a hand when troubling times do arrive."

24. - Top - End - #54

GnomeWizardGuy

Once he and Randal had their plates, Torrik looked for the others and moved in their direction. By the time they had come uppn them, he'd decided to stab his fork directly into the meat and use it as a skewer. Now he was happily tearing a chunk off of the whole with his yeesh.

"Human food tastes so strange, but this is good."

He seemed completely unaware of what was being said before he arrived.
    Last edited by gargoyleking; 2020-09-06 at 01:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While you are eating your food, Father Zantus, accompanied by two acolytes, walk out from the church to the covered wagon. The crowd slowly quiets as they realize what is happening, and once the crowd is sufficiently quiet, Father Zantus begins speaking, “Long ago, there was a fierce battle between the goddesses Desna and Lamashtu. After the battle, Desna fell to Golarian and was fatally injured. Our goddess would have perished if it were not for the generosity of a blind orphan. To express her gratitude, Desna transformed the orphan into a beautiful, immortal butterfly so that the child could explore the wonders of the world for all eternity. We honor the orphan today with this ceremony.” After he finishes speaking, the acolytes pull off the wagon cover, and thousands of swallowtail butterflies swarm into the air, and children jump from the benches to chase the butterflies.

26. - Top - End - #56

GnomeWizardGuy

Torrik listens to the announcement and seems confused by the concepts in general. Indeed, he seems confounded by the release of the butterflies. But as the kids start to chase them around he nods and smiles in apprecuation.

"Ahh, this is a way to train your younglings to hunt... But would it not be better with thorn moths? At least those might sting the hand that grasps them incorrectly."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After the showy display put on and Torrik's comment Randal comments out loud "Hunting these butterflies? If that's how they teach their young my half breed blood has never felt worse." a slight chuckle at the end of the words. "Seems people aren't too worried about the giants around here. Haven't seen a single individual talking about it."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Entros raised an eyebrow to Varendiil, quiet for a moment at the other's words. Then he shrugged after a moment, with a lop-sided half smile. "Not sure I'm quite that skittish, but who knows. You probably see this mug as half full ... others see it as half empty. I see it and wonder, what the hell did that bartender slip in my drink?

Way I figure it, expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed."
    He eyed his drink closely for a long moment, sniffing it twice, before he winked at the robed man and downed his mug.

Once the others joined them, he was quiet for a moment, turning to watch the butterflies released. He snorted at the comments, shaking his head. "Ain't for training ... just for fun. Most fun some of these younglings will have until next festival." His eyes got a far away look for a moment, then focused back on the others. "Anyway, giants? No, you won't get much by way of giant-talk. Except for the Ferry and the Steppes, giants don't make it this far usually. Maybe Magnimar would have more chatter ...

No excuse me ... I'm getting more fish."

Entros rose to get back in line for some more salmon ... and perhaps another pint.

OOC - Just chatting ...
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

GnomeWizardGuy

As Entros walks away, Torrik looks back to the others.

"But is training oneself for the hunt or for battle not 'fun'? I have always enjoyed such..."

He doesn't seem particularly worried about recieving an answer, but he does look back to the children and butterflies, absently rubbing a scar on his hand in the proccess.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After you all eat your fill, you meander around town until the evening bonfire. The festival games are no longer running during the afternoon and the taverns are closed to rest from lunch, so the town is much quieter than it was this morning. Children still run through the streets, playing various games, and there are groups of adults chattering throughout the town.

As the sun begins to set, you all make your way back to the church square along with the rest of the town. Father Zantus is already standing on the stage that was set up earlier in the day. Once the crowd has grown to a sufficient size, a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as Father Zantus throws a stone to the ground. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman’s scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises-high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

"Goblins chew and goblins bite.
    Goblins cut and goblins fight.
    Stab the dog and cut the horse,
    Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
    Goblins slash and goblins bump.
    Burn the skin and mash the head,
    Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
    Bonk the head to shut it up.
    Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
    We be goblins! You be food!"

The crowd quickly flees the square; some scatter into the streets while others flee into the nearby buildings. Aeryn notices all three goblins hiding behind a nearby wagon. Kabbi and Entros only notice the goblin standing atop the dog. Torrik is caught up in the confusion and notices nothing.

Spoiler: OOC and Rolls
    Show
    Combat begins! Here is the link to the battlemap.
    I personally play very conservatively, so I would encourage y'all to take an action instead of letting me take it for you so I can learn your playstyles. If you're worried about the rules, just say what you want to do, and I'll fit it in with the mechanics best I can. Also, don't worry about waiting for initiative to post your action. I can override your action, especially if your target was killed.

Initiative:
    Aeryn: 17+5 = 22!
    Torrik: 1+3 = 4
    Kabbi: 13+7 = 20
    Randal: 5+6 = 11
    Entros: 6+7 = 13