New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Demogorgon

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Demogorgon

The Prince of Demons is undeniably one of the iconic D&D opponents. With that in mind I'm trying to find statistics for him. I know that there are those available in the fiendish codex and the book of vile darkness. But I want something more, I need to know, has he ever been featured in the Demonomicon of Iggwilv, and if so, what issue of Dragon was it?
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurellien View Post
    Here's a good one

"We are not working on 4th edition and we have no plans for it."
    -Every single person at WotC when asked
    You sir, win.

Robin of Whitehills, NG Human Druid IV, by me.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Demogorgon

Demonomicon in Dragon #357 was all about Big D.

DiceFreaks Serge also did a really scary take on him, basically working from the premise that Demogorgon was nothing less than the CE counterpart of Asmodeus.

3. - Top - End - #3

Sorta weak then. Asmodeus wasn't that hard. And Demogorgon would probably have more strength and less tricks, since he seems to prefer going toe-to-toe with people and shredding them than using some magic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

A CR 81 is "Sorta weak then"? I think you should really check out the Gates of Hell before you make any assumptions about Asmodeus.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC he was statted out fairly weakly in BoVD. I don't have the book on me, but I don't remembering him being higher than CR 30.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

That was an aspect I think.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

7. - Top - End - #7

The problem with wanting stats for all of the demon lords, gods, etc, is that any game representation of the powers should just be an abstract. I mean, they're beings of unimaginable power, so basically you could theoretically make them as absurdly powerful as you want. That's why the game says that any physical manifestation that you fight is just an "aspect" - really, adventurer's shouldn't be able to kill off iconic figures like Demogorgon. If you want them to, just take the stats from one of the books, and advance him using the rules in MM to a CR about 3-4 levels above your party. He'll be a really mean BBEG, if that's what you're going for. That said, I usually don't bother to stat god-like beings, they just do whatever fits for the story and succeed or fail where appropriate, because die rolls for those suckers would be off the chart anyways, so why make them?
    oh, and BoVD's stats for the demon/devil lords are actually more powerful than the ones in the Fiendish Codex books. The BoVD was written for 3rd, when they still wrote epic material. FC is solidly 3.5, they have nothing over a CR of 21-23.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, FC Demogorgon is kinda weak. The book itself states that it can be taken on by level 20 characters. That doesn't sound so mighty to me.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

9. - Top - End - #9

But there are also guidelines to up the CR back into the epic regions. They are quite easy to do. The only difficult part is to adjust/add spell-like abilities and maybe bolster things like Summon Tanar'ri.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illathid View Post
    A CR 81 is "Sorta weak then"? I think you should really check out the Gates of Hell before you make any assumptions about Asmodeus.
    From what I remember Azerian's character is ECL 100 or some such.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

11. - Top - End - #11

Ya, it's that level, but the point is, some of the ole classics could thrash it easily. And that's not accounting for a scroll of Vengeful Gaze of God, which would be TOO abusable.

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

No offense AK, but you play at a level which much higher than your typical player. My group normally caps out by level 10. Others, even if they play high levels, never seem to really get above 40 (once you can take down gods, the game is less fun for some people).

Now, I'm not saying that what you do is wrong or anything like that, I'm just saying that a comment from you about how "weak" somthing is is a bit off because... well your realitive power level is much higher than most people.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

If it has stats, we can kill it!
    Why is it the best campaign ideas happen when you're sitting down to someone elses game?

Pun-Pun is an example of the worst case scenario. Never, ever, push your DM that far.

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Idea Man View Post
    If it has stats, we can kill it!
    Which is precisely why I am against statting Deities. Demon Lords, Archdevils, I am okay with having stats for, but they're CR should be at the top of whatever level your campaign world will allow (and be at least 20). If epic is common, at least 30-40.

If I want to use dieties and demon lords as opponents, I use the aspects at what ever level my players are at, but then to kill a god in my world, you just have to convince everyone that he doesn't exist (bard did it).

I guess what my previous post was saying (and I'm sorry for directing it at you AK) was that you should take the flavor of the characters and present them at a power level you see suitable for a campaign. When my players typically top out at level 10, CR 15 is pretty tough (elder brain of thoon), and some of the aspects (archfiends in FC) are really difficult (though not impossible, but rather close). Depending on the flavor you want to use for them and how difficult you want it to be to change you cosmology should determine the CR of the creatures.

Sorry to derail, but the OP was allready answered.
    Also: The web enhancement for FCI had stats for a CR 9 aspect, which could be a great way to make him a prominent protagonist earlier on in the campaign (cult summons aspect, aspect wrecks havoc, etc).

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDuelist View Post
    Also: The web enhancement for FCI had stats for a CR 9 aspect, which could be a great way to make him a prominent protagonist earlier on in the campaign (cult summons aspect, aspect wrecks havoc, etc).
    Surely you mean antagonist?
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a good one

You sir, win.

Carradoc of the Hall of Grond, CG Dwarf Berserker (complex build), by the illustrious Ceika.

16. - Top - End - #16

Oh, I totally forgot to mention this (and I meant to in my first reply): The book Expedition to the Demonweb Pits has lower-level aspects of various demon-lords statted out in it. I think aspects of Grazz't, Yeenoghu, Demogorgon, and Jubilex are all in it, as well as metric buttload of NPC's and opponents for CR 10-12 characters.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Demonomicon in Dragon #357 was all about Big D.

DiceFreaks Serge also did a really scary take on him, basically working from the premise that Demogorgon was nothing less than the CE counterpart of Asmodeus.
    I'm intrigued... where can I find Serge's take on the Abyssal Lords?
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a good one

You sir, win.

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Surely you mean antagonist?
    Yes, my mistake. Antagonist.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm intrigued... where can I find Serge's take on the Abyssal Lords?
    Here ya go

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Thankyou again, it seems that you sir definitely deserve the internet I just gave you.
    Fanclubs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Here's a good one

You sir, win.